FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2016 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 26115888)
1. It’s late 1970 and 747s had been in service for less than a year. Following a thorough perusal of the relevant OAG, I have identified a total of four domestic coast to coast routes being flown at the time. Identify each of these routes and the airline(s) flying it.

Let's go with these to start the bidding

1. LAX-IAD American Correct!
  2. LAX-JFK United Correct, but missing airlines...
  3. SFO-IAD TWA Incorrect
  4. SFO-JFK American Correct, but missing airlines...

So then, you've got three of the four routes - a good start! Now all you need to do is add the missing airline(s) and list the one missing transcon route and airline. ^

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2016 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 26116541)
What was the largest airliner ever to operate out of Love Field and where did it fly to?

Braniff got their singular orange-painted 747 and operated it daily from Love Field to Honolulu for a few years before DFW was completed.

You are quite correct, WHBM, and I do apologize for what is a poorly worded question. It could've been answered either way and I should have been clearer as to post-Wright Amendment aircraft.

jlemon Feb 1, 2016 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 26116889)
Indeed ! I just put this in as an alternative pedantic view of the question wording :)

Incidentally, although I don't know, I wonder if either AA or DL also ran any 747 services through Love Field prior to DFW opening. The Braniff aircraft, optimised for the Hawaiian vacation traffic, probably had more seats than those did.

And under the Wright Amendment I wonder if Braniff's 737-800s nowadays have more seats than their rather temporary 727-200s did a generation ago. And I wonder how they managed to recruit flight engineers for a short period on the 727s, and then let them go again.

Excellent point concerning Southwest's current B737-800 equipment. And it would be interesting to know how many seats were on the B727-200 when WN briefly operated the aircraft. Of course, the Wright Amendment has now been repealed so Southwest is free to operate nonstops outside of the old mandated boundaries. BTW, I actually saw a WN operated 72S many years ago at LAX which had just arrived nonstop from HOU after originating at MSY.

As for B747 operations, it appears that American and Delta did indeed operate the airplane from Dallas Love in addition to the Braniff DAL-HNL service.

jrl767 Feb 1, 2016 2:35 pm

1- Take 2 for the correct routes:
LAX-JFK, TWA
SFO-JFK, United

Take 3 for the fourth route and operator:
LAX-BOS, TWA

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2016 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26117042)
As for B747 operations, it appears that American and Delta did indeed operate the airplane from Dallas Love in addition to the Braniff DAL-HNL service.

Here are the skeds:

DAL-ATL DL 010 4:53p - 7:36p 747 Dinner

DAL-LAX DL 011 9:00a - 9:58a 747 Breakfast

DAL-LAX AA 289 5:35p - 6:40p 747 Dinner

So then, what type of aircraft was Braniff operating on its DAL-HNL flights prior to the arrival of its 747?

teddybear99 Feb 1, 2016 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26115463)
39. On what airline’s airliner could you deposit a quarter and play the electronic TV game “Pong”? PARTIALLY ANSWERED

I remember as a kid playing this game in Continental's gaming lounge on their 747 flying from JFK to Denver to go skiing with my father.

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2016 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 26117087)
1. It’s late 1970 and 747s had been in service for less than a year. Following a thorough perusal of the relevant OAG, I have identified a total of four domestic coast to coast routes being flown at the time. Identify each of these routes and the airline(s) flying it.

Let's go with these to start the bidding

1.LAX-IAD American Correct!
2.LAX-JFK United Correct, but missing airlines...
3.SFO-IAD TWA Incorrect
4.SFO-JFK American Correct, but missing airlines...

So then, you've got three of the four routes - a good start! Now all you need to do is add the missing airline(s) and list the one missing transcon route and airline.

1- Take 2 for the correct routes:
LAX-JFK, TWA
SFO-JFK, United

I'm going to go ahead and tap in for you here with regard to airlines on the JFK to LAX/SFO ROUTES. The LAX-BOS route was still without 747 service.

1.LAX-IAD American
2.LAX-JFK United American TWA
3.SFO-JFK American United TWA
4. Still Missing...

WHBM Feb 1, 2016 2:50 pm

Oh boy what a typo Department

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 26116889)
And under the Wright Amendment I wonder if Braniff's 737-800s nowadays have more seats than their rather temporary 727-200s did a generation ago.

Did I actually write that ? Oh. I did.

(Mrs WHBM :) subtly withdraws the remainder of my home-from-the-office whisky & 7-Up)

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2016 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 26117119)
39. On what airline’s airliner could you deposit a quarter and play the electronic TV game “Pong”?

I remember as a kid playing this game in Continental's gaming lounge on their 747 flying from JFK to Denver to go skiing with my father.

I'm pretty sure Continental's 747s never flew between JFK and Denver, TB99, much less out of JFK at all. I believe you mean Newark and as such, your aircraft would have been a DC-10, most likely circa 1983 - 1988. I flew on a pong equipped DC-10 as part of a WA interchange flight between ANC and SEA back in 1977.

Continental's original 747s were the only ones equipped with coach lounges, but they were retired from use in 1974, some years before CO started flying EWR-DEN as part of its post-deregulation expansion. The next set of 747s Continental acquired in the 1980s were ex-People Express birds, none of which were equipped with lounges.

jlemon Feb 1, 2016 3:21 pm

Seat 2A: Here are the skeds:

DAL-ATL DL 010 4:53p - 7:36p 747 Dinner

DAL-LAX DL 011 9:00a - 9:58a 747 Breakfast

DAL-LAX AA 289 5:35p - 6:40p 747 Dinner

So then, what type of aircraft was Braniff operating on its DAL-HNL flights prior to the arrival of its 747?

I think the aircraft were Boeing 707-320C Intercontinental models. And besides DAL-HNL, what other nonstop flights to Hawaii was Braniff operating with the 707 before the DAL-HNL 747 service was initiated? Hint: we had a quiz item concerning this awhile back.

And BTW, I also believe that Continental never operated the 747 from JFK back in the day.

jlemon Feb 1, 2016 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 26117169)
Did I actually write that ? Oh. I did.

(Mrs WHBM :) subtly withdraws the remainder of my home-from-the-office whisky & 7-Up)

Well, I did not catch it, either, and my first glass of Cabernet Sauvignon is still about an hour away...... :)

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2016 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26117361)
And besides DAL-HNL, what other nonstop flights to Hawaii was Braniff operating with the 707 before the DAL-HNL 747 service was initiated? Hint: we had a quiz item concerning this awhile back.

Not too many options here, though per the schedules I have the service was directional, i.e. the nonstop was only back to DAL.

And BTW, I also believe that Continental never operated the 747 from JFK back in the day.

You know, I'm having a hard time remembering CO ever flying into JFK! Maybe cargo and perhaps a flight or two from their Houston hub? Again, I'm pretty sure we never saw JFK-DEN service with CO...

JoeDTW Feb 1, 2016 3:43 pm

My second guess for the intermediate stop between OMA and BIL on Frontier is Rapid City.

My guess is that the Kabuki Room would have been the upstairs lounge on CO's 747s, and the Pong games were on their DC-10s.

As for the fourth transcontinental 747 route, let's look further to the north, and go with SEA-JFK on Northwest Orient (play sound of gong) Airlines.

jlemon Feb 1, 2016 3:51 pm

And you guys thought I was taking a break....... ;)

In 1969, Braniff International was operating no less than five different nonstop routes with the Boeing 707-320C from the mainland U.S. to the state of Hawaii besides the aforementioned nonstop 707 service between Dallas Love Field and Honolulu. Identify all of them. And for bonus points, name the three cities from which Braniff was operating direct, no change of plane departures to Hawaii with the 707.

And back in 2007, Continental was operating nonstop service between New York JFK and Houston IAH with a couple of flights a day. Equipment was either a B737-500 or B737-700.

Seat 2A Feb 1, 2016 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by JoeDTW (Post 26117502)
17. Each afternoon this airline’s jet would depart Chicago’s Midway Airport bound for Billings, Montana and beyond. Two stops were made enroute to Billings from Chicago. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the aircraft used for this flight.

My second guess for the intermediate stop between OMA and BIL on Frontier is Rapid City.

That's a good guess, Joe - and a correct guess. The entire flight routing is as follows:

FL 105 MDW-OMA-RAP-BIL-CPR-DEN-COS-PHX
Equipment: 737-200

I figured if I made the question from MDW to anywhere beyond BIL, it'd be a dead giveaway. Routings like this make me wish I were born 20 years earlier...

35. Aboard what airline’s airplane would you find the “Kabuki Room” on?

My guess is that the Kabuki Room would have been the upstairs lounge on CO's 747s

The Kabuki Room was one of the three named economy class cabins on Continental's original factory delivered 747-124s. The lounges always had a name that included the word "Lounge" in it. Which means it's time for - that's right - a

Bonus Question!: The First Class upstairs lounge on Continental's originally delivered 747-124s had first one name, and then another after the upstairs lounge was modified from three windows to ten windows. What were the two names?

39. On what airline’s airliner could you deposit a quarter and play the electronic TV game “Pong” on a table in the coach lounge?

The Pong games were on their (Continental's) DC-10s.

Correct! My first experience with an onboard pong game came aboard a Continental DC-10 operating a codeshare flight on behalf of Western Airlines between Anchorage and Seattle. The lounges were removed fleet wide shortly thereafter, only to return in 1983. My last flight on a lounge equipped CO DC-10 came in 1990 aboard N68041, a -10 operating between Sydney and Brisbane. The aircraft continued on to Guam without me.

Over the years a lot of airlines included First Class lounges aboard their jets but can anybody think of any other aircraft utilized on international flights operated by any airline - U.S. or otherwise - that included a Coach Lounge?

1. It’s late 1970 and 747s had been in service for less than a year. Following a thorough perusal of the relevant OAG, I have identified a total of four domestic coast to coast routes being flown at the time. Identify the route and the airline(s) flying it.

As for the fourth transcontinental 747 route, let's look further to the north, and go with SEA-JFK on Northwest Orient (play sound of gong) Airlines.

So let's see, so far in late 1970 we have

LAX-IAD
JFK-SFO
JFK-LAX

Now with the exception of the airliner flying the fourth and final route - an airliner I ogled often on my peregrinations through JFK back in the day - I'm with you, Joe. I would have thought Northwest's longtime JFK-SEA nonstop would have been a natural for an early 747 assignment. But No! It was another airline on a different route. Guess on!