FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Aug 10, 2015 8:43 am

Good morning, Tony! Welcome back!

And it appears we have reached another milestone here on the OTAQ&D as we have now surpassed the 500 page mark with 7,500 replies......

Seat 2A Aug 11, 2015 12:12 am

Hello everyone! And good evening from Fairbanks - home to a better internet connection than I've enjoyed down Denali way of late. Same problem - an inability to load and/or send the "Reply to Thread" page. Thanks to all of you for your patience in this regard and now let's wade on in with some replies...

Originally Posted by Indelaware (Post 25240245)
19. Identify the westernmost city with domestic service aboard a DC-7. Further identify the airline and the route flown.

Perhaps the clue here is westernmost... Sheyma to Anchorage on NW? Perhaps with a stop or two along the way.

Not a bad guess, but a bit too far west - even for NW. Please - guess again!

Seat 2A Aug 11, 2015 12:15 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 25240756)
19. Identify the westernmost city with domestic service aboard a DC-7. Further identify the airline and the route flown.

DL and BN are in; NA and EA are out ... so if not NW, we are left with the other historical DC-7 operators (AA, CO, PA, and UA)

I'm at a loss as to the last operator ... but I will again posit "BN, SAT" as the answer to the "westernmost" question even though that's been wrong once already in this quiz.

You've got the correct airline, J, but the wrong city. Hmm... further west than SAT on BN....

Seat 2A Aug 11, 2015 12:19 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 25240846)
3. In 1966 five airlines operate domestic flights with DC-6s while another three utilize DC-7s. Identify each respective airline. Hint: Only one airline operates both types. ALMOST THERE - DC-6s are correct, and now we need only the missing DC-7 operator...

Northwest was still operating DC-7CF Passenger-Freight combis into 1966, but only on a JFK-Milwaukee-Minneapolis routing, overnight both ways which required two aircraft. They had three such aircraft still in service, N284/88/89, finally sold to a dealer at the end of 1968, but Northwest had a habit of holding on to retired aircraft long before disposal.

Spot on, WHBM! Northwest it was, exactly as you've described above.

Seat 2A Aug 11, 2015 12:35 am

Here's a big ALOHA and a Welcome Back, Tony! I hope we'll read more from you in the coming year... ^^

WHBM Aug 11, 2015 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 25252171)
Northwest was still operating DC-7CF Passenger-Freight combis into 1966, but only on a JFK-Milwaukee-Minneapolis routing, overnight both ways which required two aircraft. They had three such aircraft still in service, N284/88/89, finally sold to a dealer at the end of 1968, but Northwest had a habit of holding on to retired aircraft long before disposal.

Spot on, WHBM! Northwest it was, exactly as you've described above.

So it appears the "50 year old typo" is that the NW schedule says the flight is a freighter, whereas OAG indicates it has seats available as a Combi.

I notice that one way the intermediate stop is Milwaukee, whereas in the opposite direction it is O'Hare. Cargo flights, of course, are different to passenger, in that the various customers are generally one way and separate business has to be looked for on the return, whereas passengers mostly balance out both ways. Most notable on flights from Europe to Africa (as discussed above), where there are all manner of cargo loads available outbound, but very little on the return, and cargo aircraft having stopped at various points outwards may commonly return nonstop, and pretty empty, from the final outward point. One thing notable in the UK is extraordinarily cheap fresh agricultural products available in supermarkets, such as beans, from Kenya etc. The shipping costs look unlikely but in practice the freight charges are pretty marginal. campaigns have been launched against such products being shipped around the world by air, but they generally are taking space, whether in the hold or in dedicated freighters, which would otherwise just be empty. I believe the air shipping of Colombian flowers to the USA follows a comparable approach.

tonywestsider Aug 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 25247959)
Good morning, Tony! Welcome back!

And it appears we have reached another milestone here on the OTAQ&D as we have now surpassed the 500 page mark with 7,500 replies......

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 25252209)
Here's a big ALOHA and a Welcome Back, Tony! I hope we'll read more from you in the coming year... ^^

Big Mahalo to jlemon, Seat 2A and everyone on this thread. Glad to have been post #7500! Looking forward to yesterday with more posts during the year. :)

jlemon Aug 15, 2015 10:57 am

Good Morning All!

Well, it appears our long spell of very hot and dry weather may be finally coming to an end here in south Louisiana. According to the NWS, we are officially experiencing drought conditions and have also seen temperatures exceed 100 degrees F on several occasions. And this past Tuesday while yours truly was in Houston on business, Intercontinental Airport (IAH) reported a high temp of 106 degrees F. Quite warm, indeed! The good news is that lower temperatures and the possibility of rain are now in the forecast for this weekend....so before I leap onto the lawn mower ahead of the possible precip, how about a handful of new quiz items?

1. Name three airlines that operated jet service into Annette Island (ANN) in Alaska prior to 1969. Also identify the equipment operated by each air carrier which was a different aircraft type in each case. ANSWERED

2. What airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Anchorage and Dawson City in the Yukon in 1967? Also identify the aircraft type operated on the route. ANSWERED

3. Also in 1967, National Airlines was operating all of its flights between Florida and California with DC-8 equipment with the exception of one round trip flight which was flown with another aircraft type. This flight made four stops en route from Florida to California and three stops on the return service from California to Florida. Identify all of the cities served by this round trip flight in the order in which they were made as well as the equipment. ANSWERED

4. It's the summer of 1973 and you are in London. The phone rings on a Thursday evening and wouldn't you know, it's your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara. "Where in the world are you now?", you ask and the reply is, "The Seychelles! Come on down and check out the new catamaran! It's time to go sailing in the Indian Ocean!" Well, what the heck.....you quickly ascertain there is a flight departing the next morning and yes, first class is available. This flight also makes one stop en route. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, the aircraft type, the airport in London you will depart from and the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

5. In early 1979, American Airlines was operating nonstop Boeing 747 service departing from New York JFK to four destinations. Name them all. And for bonus points, identify the only destination that was served by AA with the 747 departing from JFK on a one stop basis at this time. ANSWERED

6. Also in early 1979, how many daily departures was American Airlines operating from New Orleans (MSY)? ANSWERED

7. What was the only U.S. destination served by Canadian-based Austin Airways in 1985? ANSWERED

8. In 1987, this airline was operating a daily flight from Boise (BOI) to Tucson (TUS) with three intermediate stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops and the equipment it flew on the route. ANSWERED

9. In 1996, TriStar Airlines was operating BAe 146 service into seven destinations in five western states in the U.S. Name them all. ANSWERED

10. In 1964, this U.S. based airline promoted the latest addition to its fleet in its timetable with the following words:

* Luxurious
* Smooth
* Sleek
* Mighty
* Hushed

Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type. ANSWERED - Frontier and the Convair 580

And now to the lawn...... :-:

WHBM Aug 15, 2015 12:38 pm

Here in London, many commemorative moments for the 70th anniversary of VJ day, Victory in Japan at the end of WW2. Having had the end in Europe three months before, there was some disappointment at the time of the lesser celebration for those involved in Asia (often just termed "Burma" at the time here), which included Mr WHBM Senior, navigator on DC-3s ^ which were the RAF's principal type there. As a child I heard about many exploits of the earlier years, to the extent that I suspect I could fly from Rangoon to Mandalay today without charts (just "follow the Irrawady")

At lunchtime today, it was pleasant to have R-1830s rumble westward low-level right over the house (WHBM full speed out into the back garden), as the RAF's last DC-3 (always called the Dakota, or "Dak", here) headed for Central London as part of the celebrations, followed a minute later by a couple of military types, ancient and modern (WHBM full speed ... again). But those RAF DC-3s, once sold off, were the genesis of many, if not most, of so many UK airline operations of the late 1940s and 1950s, even BOAC had a large fleet of them and used them for surprising runs like London to Cairo. Anyway, always good to see a DC-3 in the air. I'm sure they will still be around long after us lot.

4. 1973 ... London. ... The Seychelles ... This flight also makes one stop en route. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, the aircraft type, the airport in London you will depart from and the intermediate stop.
Let's go for a BOAC VC-10, with an intermediate stop at Nairobi.

jlemon Aug 15, 2015 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 25275712)

Anyway, always good to see a DC-3 in the air. I'm sure they will still be around long after us lot.

4. Let's go for a BOAC VC-10, with an intermediate stop at Nairobi.

I believe the Catalina Airport (AVX, a.k.a. Airport in the Sky) on the island of the same name off the coast of southern California still has daily air cargo flights operated with a Douglas DC-3.....

4. The Vickers VC-10 is correct as is the stop in Nairobi. However, the air carrier was not BOAC and we are still looking for the departure airport in the London area as well.

WHBM Aug 15, 2015 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 25275936)
4. The Vickers VC-10 is correct as is the stop in Nairobi. However, the air carrier was not BOAC and we are still looking for the departure airport in the London area as well.

Ah yes, 1972. The new UK government was keenly encouraging independent British Caledonian to become the "second force". And although BOAC did the earliest flights to the Seychelles, it was British Caley who were given the long-term licence. And they would operate from Gatwick.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%201972.html

jlemon Aug 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 25276062)
Ah yes, 1972. The new UK government was keenly encouraging independent British Caledonian to become the "second force". And although BOAC did the earliest flights to the Seychelles, it was British Caley who were given the long-term licence. And they would operate from Gatwick.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%201972.html

4. Indeed! It was BCal operating a VC-10 from LGW to SEZ via NBO with one round trip flight a week.

Fast forward to 1993 and a bonus quiz item:

11. At this time, two airlines were operating nonstop between the Seychelles and Nairobi. One air carrier operated once a week and the second airline flew twice a week. Each air carrier operated different equipment on the route. Identify both as well as the respective aircraft. ANSWERED

jrl767 Aug 16, 2015 12:22 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 25275304)
3. ... in 1967, National Airlines was operating all of its flights between Florida and California with DC-8 equipment with the exception of one round trip flight which was flown with another aircraft type. This flight made four stops en route from Florida to California and three stops on the return service from California to Florida. Identify all of the cities served by this round trip flight in the order in which they were made as well as the equipment.

I am recalling some conversations earlier this year about NA's transcontinental Electra service in the mid-1960s, but since I'm pretty sure that by 1967 they were no longer operating the big turboprop west of New Orleans (MSY), we are most likely looking at a Miami FL (MIA) <--> San Francisco CA (SFO) flight with a 727-100, with the three common stops being MSY, Houston (HOU), and Las Vegas (LAS)

as to the fourth stop on the westbound trip, I think there is a technicality in the way the question is phrased ... it was also in FL, specifically Tampa (TPA)

jlemon Aug 16, 2015 8:34 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 25277621)
I am recalling some conversations earlier this year about NA's transcontinental Electra service in the mid-1960s, but since I'm pretty sure that by 1967 they were no longer operating the big turboprop west of New Orleans (MSY), we are most likely looking at a Miami FL (MIA) <--> San Francisco CA (SFO) flight with a 727-100, with the three common stops being MSY, Houston (HOU), and Las Vegas (LAS)

as to the fourth stop on the westbound trip, I think there is a technicality in the way the question is phrased ... it was also in FL, specifically Tampa (TPA)

3. Good catch concerning the Florida stops with regard to the westbound flight! And you are correct! Here are the scheds.....

NA 23: MIA 7:00am - 8:15a TPA 8:55a - 9:10a MSY 9:35a - 10:27a HOU 10:55a - 11:35a LAS 12:00n - 1:08p SFO
Op: Daily
Equip: 727

NA 22: SFO 2:10p - 3:13p LAS 3:40p - 8:11p HOU 8:40p - 9:30p MSY 10:00p - 12:30a MIA
Op: Daily
Equip: 727

JoeDTW Aug 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 25275304)
Good Morning All!

5. In early 1979, American Airlines was operating nonstop Boeing 747 service from New York JFK to four destinations. Name them all. And for bonus points, identify the only destination that was served by AA with the 747 from JFK on a one stop basis at this time.

6. Also in early 1979, how many daily departures was American Airlines operating from New Orleans (MSY)?

For #5, SFO, LAX, and SJU are obvious. I'm debating between BOS and SDQ for the 4th city; I'll guess BOS. My guess for the one stop city is Aruba, served as a tag from SJU.

I think AA also flew 747Fs from JFK to DTW, ORD, and DFW in early 1979.

#6: 2x day, with 727s to DFW. AA took over EA's dormant MSY-Dallas authority after deregulation, along with dormant EA routes from DFW to TPA and MIA, and dormant FL routes from DFW to ABQ and LAS.