FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

Seat 2A Jan 7, 2012 11:27 am

Name three California intra-state airlines that operated Lockheed Electras

What airline flew scheduled 747 service between Cleveland and Miami?

Name two airlines besides BOAC that operated scheduled DeHavilland Comet service into the United States.

Which airline's 720Bs were perhaps even more colorful than the Braniff DC-8 painted by Alexander Calder?

What airline utilized a golden samovar as part of its inflight service?

What airline was famous for its "Hunt Breakfast" flights?

Which movie star actress is credited with the interior design of a major airline's DC-10 First Class cabin?

What airline operated a mid-cabin lounge with a stand up bar aboard its 707s during the early 1970s?

What airline operated inter-island Hawaiian service with YS-11s and F28s?

American, Continental, United and Northwest have all operated both 747s and DC-10s between the US Mainland and Hawaii. Name the other airline that did.

Wally Bird Jan 7, 2012 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17767202)
Air California, PSA, Western

Name two airlines besides BOAC that operated scheduled DeHavilland Comet service into the United States.
Mexicana, AREA and maybe Aerolineas Argentinas ?

Which airline's 720Bs were perhaps even more colorful than the Braniff DC-8 painted by Alexander Calder?
Ecuatoriana

Mid-Pacific

American, Continental, United and Northwest have all operated both 747s and DC-10s between the US Mainland and Hawaii. Name the other airline that did.
ATA ?

Seat 2A Jan 7, 2012 1:01 pm

PSA and Air California are correct, but Western wasn't an intra-state airline. It's a different one.

Mexicana and Aerolineas Argentinas are correct. AREA operated Convair 990s. I stand gratefully corrected. Thanks to Wally Bird, we know AREA also operated Comets into the US as well.

Ecuatoriana

Mid-Pacific

ATA never operated 747s. This airline's DC-10s had a pineapple on the tail.

Wally Bird Jan 7, 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17767677)
Mexicana and Aerolineas Argentinas are correct. AREA operated Convair 990s.

AREA had a single Comet (HC-ALT) used primarily, maybe exclusively, on the Quito-Miami service.

Story goes it broke down at MIA and rather than repair it they just abandoned it. It sat there for a further 10 years before being scrapped in 1978 I think.

Seat 2A Jan 7, 2012 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 17767789)
AREA had a single Comet (HC-ALT) used primarily, maybe exclusively, on the Quito-Miami service.

Story goes it broke down at MIA and rather than repair it they just abandoned it. It sat there for a further 10 years before being scrapped in 1978 I think.

Awesome bit of trivia there, Wally. Many thanks!! Here's a picture of that airplane taken at Miami.

Seat 2A Jan 7, 2012 3:54 pm

Can you match the Boeing model designation with the U.S. airline?

This airline's 737-201s never flew east of the Mississippi:

Hot pants clad stewardesses were all the rage aboard this airline's 727-214s:

This airline's 707-121s offered Rainbow Service back in Economy Class:

This airline's 737-222s launched 737 service in the US on April 28, 1968:

This airline's 747-123s flew the ORD-DTW route, as well as many others:

This airline sported lounges for First Class, Coach and Economy Class aboard its 747-124s:

This airline's 727-225s were commonly seen in Atlanta and Miami while serving "The Wings of Man":

727-27s featured prominently in this airline's "End of The Plain Plane" advertising campaign:

This airline's -31 designation was found on 707s, 727s, 747s, 757s and 767s but never 737s:

The 1000th 727 ever built was a -232 model for this airline:

One of this airline's 747-135s was named "Linda":

This airline's one class 737-247s were regular visitors to airports like CYS, SHR, PIR, and PIH:

I once flew this airline's 747-151 on a scheduled flight between Seattle and Portland:

This airline has flown the following 737 models ~ -290s, -490s, -790s, -890s and -990s:

N7278F, a 727-291, flew for this airline for four years before being sold to Braniff and becoming the eventual canvas for Alexander Calder's "Flying Colors of the United States":

The launch customer for Boeing's 727-200, a -295 model, was:

This airline's 737-297s were known as "Funjets". Some of them were named for local royalty:

jlemon Jan 7, 2012 5:22 pm

PSA, Air California and Holiday Airlines. The latter specialized in flights to South Lake Tahoe (TVL)

United?

No idea!

No idea!

Alaska Airlines

What airline was famous for its "Hunt Breakfast" flights?

No idea!

Which movie star actress is credited with the interior design of a major airline's DC-10 First Class cabin?

No idea!

What airline operated a mid-cabin lounge with a stand up bar aboard its 707s during the early 1970s?

No idea!

Mid Pacific

Braniff, TWA and Hawaii Express

tonywestsider Jan 7, 2012 5:38 pm

American (707 Luxuryjet)

jlemon Jan 7, 2012 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17765444)
Thanks for reviving this thread, jlemon. I figured it had died due to the limited interest of the five or six of us who have fun here. But fun we'll have, then!

By the way, Northliners were operated by North Central Airlines and Arrow Jets were flown by Frontier. I believe the name originated with the 727s which FL eventually sold to BN before standardizing with the 737 - at least until those MD-80s showed up.

As to your excellent questions, it helps that I have always considered the OAG to be a fine read. I have a good sized collection of older ones from the 60s onwards and they are alot of fun to peruse now and then, just to see where those old 720s and 880s used to fly. Like, who knew UA used to operate a daily DC-8 nonstop from DSM into JFK back in 1970? Or that NE flew the MIA-LAX transcon with a 727-100. Damn, that would've made a good question! Anyway, to the answers...

1) United was the only U.S. domestic airline to operate the Caravelle. However, another airline operated the Caravelle between Miami and the Caribbean. What is the name of this airline? Air France. Correct! And this service continues to this day with an A320

2) What airline operated a DC-8 into BOI? United. Correct!

3) What airline operated a B720B into MAF? Continental I know that flight well, as it used to route IAH-SAT-MAF-ELP-TUS-LAX. Correct! The other routing was IAH-AUS-MAF-ELP-PHX-LAX. The route was also flown with a B727-200

4) What airline operated a B727 nonstop between CRP and MSY? I'm going to guess here that it's Pride Air only because they were MSY based. Eastern Airlines. The routing was ATL-MSY-CRP

5) What airline operated a B727 nonstop between LAX and HSV? United. Correct! Lots of NASA space activity at this time in HSV with the development of the Saturn V for the Apollo program.

6) Which airline was the first to operate a DC-9 nonstop between MIA and GCM? Was it Air Jamaica ? Southern Airways. This was their first and only international route that was later assumed by Republic and then by Northwest

7) What airline operated a BAC One-Eleven LAX-SBA and LAX-PSP? I remember flying a Pacific Express 1-11 LAX-MOD-SCK-SFO back in 1983. So far as I know, they were the only 1-11 operator ever in California, so that's my answer. Correct! Pacific Express later provided services as a Pan Am Express carrier before going "tango-uniform". The airline blamed United for their demise.

8) What airline operated a Fokker F-28 nonstop between SFO and SUN? Horizon . Correct! Horizon Air currently operates a Q400 nonstop LAX-SUN.

9) Which airline was the only U.S. operator of the Fokker 70? America West Express . Correct! Actually, Mesa operated the F70 as America West Express

10) What airline operated a DC-10 nonstop between PSP and YVR? Wow - you got me there. Was this a scheduled run? Was it Wardair on a seasonal service? CP Air. This was a seasonal weekend service during the winter months.

11) What airline operated a DC-10 nonstop between MSP and HRL? If you really mean HRL, I'd have to guess Sun Country. They were MSP based and flew the -10 into some interesting locales. If you meant HNL, then Northwest. Sun Country is correct! And I did mean Harlingen! This was also a seasonal weekend service during the winter months.

12) What airline operated an L-1011 between HNL and OGG? Delta comes to mind, much like United used to fly its jets on inter-island runs starting in the 80s. I don't believe HA ever flew its Tristars inter-island. Correct!

13) What airlines operated 747 service into ITO? United and Northwest. Correct! And Braniff!

14) Has OGG ever received 747 service? Not that I'm aware of... Biggest thing I ever flew in there on was a DC-10 unless you're talkin' length in which case it was a DC-8-71. If a 747 did, I'd imagine it likely would've been a charter . To the best of my knowledge, no one due to runway constraints.

I will pull some of those old OAGs out of storage and come up with 10 new questions of this genre in a couple of days.

tonywestsider Jan 7, 2012 5:59 pm

Still trying to answer some of Post #126

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17768456)
Can you match the Boeing model designation with the U.S. airline?

Pan American

This airline sported lounges for First Class, Coach and Economy Class aboard its 747-124s:
Continental

This airline's 727-225s were commonly seen in Atlanta and Miami while serving "The Wings of Man":
Eastern

727-27s featured prominently in this airline's "End of The Plain Plane" advertising campaign:
Braniff

National (?)

This airline has flown the following 737 models ~ -290s, -490s, -790s, -890s and -990s:
Alaska (?)

Seat 2A Jan 7, 2012 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by tonywestsider (Post 17768909)
American (707 Luxuryjet)

When AA reconfigured its 707s with the widebodied interiors and renamed them "Luxury Jets", the small First Class lounge at the front of the cabin disappeared. So far as I know, AA never had a mid-cabin lounge aboard its 707s. But another airline definitely did. I flew upon one of its 707s so equipped in 1972. I even have a picture of that lounge but I'll wait til the answer turns up first.

Seat 2A Jan 7, 2012 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 17768846)
PSA, Air California and Holiday Airlines. The latter specialized in flights to South Lake Tahoe (TVL) Correct!

United? Correct!

Alaska Airlines Correct!

Mid Pacific Correct!

Braniff, TWA and Hawaii Express The Hawaii Express is correct. Braniff and TWA never operated DC-10s.

Seat 2A Jan 7, 2012 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by tonywestsider (Post 17768991)
Pan American Correct! First Class service was called The President Special.

Continental Correct! First Class had the Oceania Lounge (Originally called the Diamond Head Lounge), Coach had the Polynesian Pub and Economy had the Ponape Lounge.

Eastern Correct! Eastern was the launch customer for the 727

Braniff Correct! HERE is a bit of information about that campaign.

National (?) Correct! Linda was later sold to Northwest who did not name her.

Alaska Correct! Alaska was the launch customer for the 737-900

jlemon Jan 8, 2012 10:49 am

Whoops! With regard to 747 and DC-10 operators to Hawaii, I did not catch the DC-10 part of the question!

tonywestsider Jan 8, 2012 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17769014)

When AA reconfigured its 707s with the widebodied interiors and renamed them "Luxury Jets", the small First Class lounge at the front of the cabin disappeared. So far as I know, AA never had a mid-cabin lounge aboard its 707s. But another airline definitely did. I flew upon one of its 707s so equipped in 1972. I even have a picture of that lounge but I'll wait til the answer turns up first.

I stand to be corrected and thanks for the note. Let me try again:

TWA

Seat 2A Jan 8, 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by tonywestsider (Post 17772546)
I stand to be corrected and thanks for the note. Let me try again:

TWA

Right on!

jlemon Jan 8, 2012 11:32 am

Here are some more questions. Once again, they concern scheduled passenger operations:

1) What airline was the only operator in North America to fly the Vickers Vanguard four engine turboprop (the "big brother" of the Viscount)?

2) What airline operated direct one stop service between Cleveland and Hilo, Hawaii?

3) What airline operated direct one stop service between New York JFK and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with a B707? (Hint: this carrier was not a U.S. or Mexican based airline).

4) What airline operated nonstop service between New Orleans and San Juan, Puerto Rico?

5) The engineering departments of three airlines based in North America converted their DC-8 Super 60 series aircraft to the Super 70 series designation in house. Which three airlines did this?

6) What airline operated the B737-200 into Lawton, Oklahoma?

7) What airline operated the B727-200 into Lawton, Oklahoma? (Hint: not the same airline as question #6)

8) What airline operated the B727-200 into Beaumont/Port Arthur, Texas? (Hint: not the same airline as question #7)

9) What California commuter airline operated the original version of the Handley-Page "Jetstream" turboprop?

10) What airline operated the stretched BAC One-Eleven 500 series in the Caribbean?

11) What airline named one of their BAC One-Eleven aircraft "Little Precious"?

12) Why did Air Canada employees nickname one of the airlines B767-200 aircraft the "Gimli Glider"?

13) What airline operated the L-1011 between Toronto, Canada and Buffalo, New York?

14) What airline mistakenly landed a B737-200 at Buffalo, Wyoming? (BTW, not a real big airport here as the current population of this town is around 4800 people)

15) What U.S. city had three (3) very short "cross town" airline routes over the years that depending on the specific airports served were flown with a variety of aircraft including the DHC-6 "Twin Otter", the DC-9 and the B737-300?

tonywestsider Jan 8, 2012 4:17 pm

I will start off with the first two just to get some interest here:

1) What airline was the only operator in North America to fly the Vickers Vanguard four engine turboprop (the "big brother" of the Viscount)?

TCA (Trans Canada Airlines, predecessor to Air Canada)

Guessing on this one:
2) What airline operated direct one stop service between Cleveland and Hilo, Hawaii?

United

Seat 2A Jan 8, 2012 9:31 pm

Okay, I'll try 3 and 4:

3) What airline operated direct one stop service between New York JFK and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with a B707? (Hint: this carrier was not a U.S. or Mexican based airline). Air France Sadly I wasn't old enough to take advantage of those flights which I believe stopped in Guadalajara, but I did manage a flight on Air France's 747 nonstop between Houston and Mexico City in 1980. In First Class, no less.

4) What airline operated nonstop service between New Orleans and San Juan, Puerto Rico? Delta At least, I'm pretty sure it was. I think it was a through flight from LAX, routing LAX-MSY-SJU. I think...

jlemon Jan 9, 2012 8:33 am

Originally Posted by tonywestsider (Post 17774297)
I will start off with the first two just to get some interest here:

TCA (Trans Canada Airlines, predecessor to Air Canada)

Guessing on this one:

United

Correct on both counts!

I remember seeing the Vanguard at Toronto painted in Air Canada colors.

United operated a DC-8 on a routing of CLE-SFO-ITO.

jlemon Jan 9, 2012 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17775994)
Okay, I'll try 3 and 4:

3) What airline operated direct one stop service between New York JFK and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with a B707? (Hint: this carrier was not a U.S. or Mexican based airline). Air France Sadly I wasn't old enough to take advantage of those flights which I believe stopped in Guadalajara, but I did manage a flight on Air France's 747 nonstop between Houston and Mexico City in 1980. In First Class, no less.

4) What airline operated nonstop service between New Orleans and San Juan, Puerto Rico? Delta At least, I'm pretty sure it was. I think it was a through flight from LAX, routing LAX-MSY-SJU. I think...

Correct on both counts as well!

This Air France flight originated in Paris as did the Mexico City service you mentioned above. And with regard to the IAH-MEX service on AF, contrast this with recent CO Express IAH-MEX service flown with an ERJ-145. The AF 747 service in the front cabin was the way to travel!

I believe the routing of the Delta flight was SFO-LAX-MSY-SJU (I'll check my old OAG when I get home). Equipment was a stretched DC-8 Super 60 series (D8S).

jlemon Jan 9, 2012 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17701381)
Right on, Gardyloo! That leaves

Ocean to Ocean Service
and
Medallion Service

both offered by former DC-8 operators.

United and Delta.

Seat 2A Jan 9, 2012 12:38 pm

5) The engineering departments of three airlines based in North America converted their DC-8 Super 60 series aircraft to the Super 70 series designation in house. Which three airlines did this?

Purely a guess, but on the assumption that it would take fairly well established and financed facilities to do this, United, Delta and Air Canada would be my first choices.

Frontier comes to mind...

jlemon Jan 9, 2012 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17779799)

Purely a guess, but on the assumption that it would take fairly well established and financed facilities to do this, United, Delta and Air Canada would be my first choices.

Frontier comes to mind...

Once again, you are correct on both counts, sir!

The major part of the conversion of the Super DC-8 to the series 70 designation involved re-engining the airplane although other changes were made as well. I believe the new engines were GE/SNECMA CFM56-2 high bypass turbofans. And the result was an aircraft that not only had much improved range but was also significantly quieter. Many of the DC-8 Super 70 series went on to fly freight after being retired from passenger service (UPS is an example). However, it appears that many of these great old birds are now parked in the desert these days.....

Seat 2A Jan 9, 2012 6:00 pm

14) What airline mistakenly landed a B737-200 at Buffalo, Wyoming? (BTW, not a real big airport here as the current population of this town is around 4800 people)

I remember this one well because I grew up in Colorado, worked for the original Frontier Airlines and have also flown WA 53, the DEN-CYS-CPR-SHR-BIL flight that mistakenly landed in Buffalo, Wyoming. (I wasn't on the flight at that time, however!) The town of Buffalo used to celebrate the event with "Lowell Fergeson Day" in honor of the Western captain who was in command of that flight. I seem to recall that they had to really strip that airplane out just to get it out of Buffalo, because taking off out of there with a 737 was alot more difficult than landing there with one.

jlemon Jan 10, 2012 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17781973)

I remember this one well because I grew up in Colorado, worked for the original Frontier Airlines and have also flown WA 53, the DEN-CYS-CPR-SHR-BIL flight that mistakenly landed in Buffalo, Wyoming. (I wasn't on the flight at that time, however!) The town of Buffalo used to celebrate the event with "Lowell Fergeson Day" in honor of the Western captain who was in command of that flight. I seem to recall that they had to really strip that airplane out just to get it out of Buffalo, because taking off out of there with a 737 was alot more difficult than landing there with one.

Correct once again.....and I seem to recall that the town staged an annual parade in honor of the WA Captain and that he actually took part in the festivities! I also remember seeing a photo of the 737 at the end of the runway in Buffalo where it came to rest. I believe the main gear had sunk into the pavement due to the weight of the airplane.

I will also take this opportunity to answer the questions concerning B727-200 operations into Lawton, Oklahoma and Beaumont/Port Arthur, Texas:

The first airline was Continental with a fairly unique routing: MAF-LBB-SPS-LAW-OKC-TUL. The airplane would then retrace the routing heading back the other way. This route was unique in that it did not feed a hub operation. Instead, it was a classic short haul multiple point-to-point route that I think had more in common with bus service!

The second airline was Delta. Routing was BPT-SHV-ATL. I believe Delta also flew a DC-9 series 30 into BPT at one point with a routing of IAH-BPT-SHV-ATL. And way back in the day before the 72S and D9S were around, DL flew a Convair 440 into BPT.

Seat 2A Jan 10, 2012 2:15 pm

12) Why did Air Canada employees nickname one of the airlines B767-200 aircraft the "Gimli Glider"?

Didn't the engines fail or run out of gas? And the airplane basically glided in for a landing? Don't know about Gimli. Is that where it landed?

13) What airline operated the L-1011 between Toronto, Canada and Buffalo, New York?

When I was a kid in the early days of widebodied jetliners, I used to go through the OAG page by page and write down the routes of every single wide bodied jet in the US. (I had it bad...) Many of them flew on routes flown only by regional jets today. For example, both United and Northwest scheduled 747 flights on the PDX-SEA route. American operated twice daily DC-10s between LGA and BUF. And, between ATL, BUF and YYZ, Eastern flew its L-1011.

Wally Bird Jan 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17787783)

Didn't the engines fail or run out of gas? And the airplane basically glided in for a landing? Don't know about Gimli. Is that where it landed?

The engines flamed out because the fuel had been loaded in litres but entered into the FMS as pounds (or vice-versa - I forget). Fortunately Gimli, Manitoba was withing gliding distance and still had a serviceable partial runway. The Captain was an experienced glider pilot.

The plane is now in long-term storage at Mojave, Ca.

jlemon Jan 11, 2012 9:06 am

The Gimli Glider

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 17788714)
The engines flamed out because the fuel had been loaded in litres but entered into the FMS as pounds (or vice-versa - I forget). Fortunately Gimli, Manitoba was withing gliding distance and still had a serviceable partial runway. The Captain was an experienced glider pilot.

The plane is now in long-term storage at Mojave, Ca.

You are both correct, of course. I also believe the airport at Gimli, Manitoba was a former military airfield. In addition, I seem to recall from an old AW&ST article concerning the incident that the runway was being used for an auto road race on the day the B767 glided in for an otherwise uneventful landing. Fortunately, the cars and the spectators got out of the way when the descending aircraft was spotted.

jlemon Jan 11, 2012 10:52 am

The Gimli Glider Continued

Well, the landing of the Gimli Glider was not so uneventful after all....

I did a bit of research and discovered that several tires blew on landing, the nose gear failed resulting in the nose of the aircraft contacting the runway during the roll out, the aircraft hit a guardrail, there was a small fire in the nose section and several passengers were apparently injured during the evacuation of the B767-200.

Still, everyone lived to tell the tale concerning this harrowing event. And the passengers must have had quite an interesting story to tell!

jlemon Jan 11, 2012 10:58 am

When I was a kid in the early days of widebodied jetliners, I used to go through the OAG page by page and write down the routes of every single wide bodied jet in the US. (I had it bad...) Many of them flew on routes flown only by regional jets today. For example, both United and Northwest scheduled 747 flights on the PDX-SEA route. American operated twice daily DC-10s between LGA and BUF. And, between ATL, BUF and YYZ, Eastern flew its L-1011.[/QUOTE]

Correct! I believe at this time that Eastern did not have nonstop route authority between Atlanta and Toronto but did have authority between Buffalo and Toronto. Thus the stop by the L-1011s in BUF. I also believe that EA operated two roundtrips a day on the ATL-BUF-YYZ routing.

And speaking of AA, I recall DC-10 service on the DFW-AUS and DFW-ELP routes within Texas. In fact, I flew out of AUS to DFW in F on an AA DC-10 back in the day when I had airline employee travel benefits.

jlemon Jan 11, 2012 11:26 am

Time to answer the "Jetstream" question, I think....

An operator of the original Handley Page HP 137 "Jetstream" twin turboprop was Santa Barbara-based Apollo Airways which later changed its name to Pacific Coast Airlines. This version of the "Jetstream" was powered by Turbomeca Astazou engines which were troublesome, to say the least. There were a number of incidents involving the Apollo/Pacific Coast "Jetstream" aircraft where single engine landings occurred due to the failure of the other engine while in flight. Santa Barbara residents (I was one at the time) referred to the initial airline as "Appalling Airways". After the name change, I worked directly with Pacific Coast Airlines and was responsible for their advertising campaign before I went to work for another commuter airline in California.

Wally Bird Jan 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 17793339)
Correct! I believe at this time that Eastern did not have nonstop route authority between Atlanta and Toronto but did have authority between Buffalo and Toronto. Thus the stop by the L-1011s in BUF.

Allegheny also had to stop in BUF as part of the YYZ-EWR service. BAC111s, yesss !

Seat 2A Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Here's a couple from the March 15 1974 OAG...

1.) Which airline operated twice daily 747 service between Chicago and Miami?

2.) Which airline flew once a week 747 service between Houston and Los Angeles?

3.) Which airline flew 1 stop DC-10 service between Phoenix and Los Angeles? Where was the stop?

4.) Which airline flew a once daily 747 flight between Chicago to Tampa?

5.) Not including Eastern, which may or may not have kept a couple of Electras on hand to fill in on shuttle operations, name three North American airlines that still operated scheduled seervice with Lockheed Electras in 1974.

cs57 Jan 11, 2012 5:03 pm

#5---Reeve in Alaska, and Air Florida for intra-Florida service?

Seat 2A Jan 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Reeve and Air Florida would be correct. There were two more in Canada and one more in the U.S.

Wally Bird Jan 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17796627)
Reeve and Air Florida would be correct. There were two more in Canada and one more in the U.S.

Pacific Western and NWT Air in Canada.

Gardyloo Jan 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17796627)
... and one more in the U.S.

Possibly Air California was still flying Electras then?

I logged many many thousands of miles on Reeve's Electras - still one of my favorite planes. Ridiculously comfortable.

tonywestsider Jan 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 17797331)
Possibly Air California was still flying Electras then?

I logged many many thousands of miles on Reeve's Electras - still one of my favorite planes. Ridiculously comfortable.

Was PSA still flying Electras in 1974?

Seat 2A Jan 12, 2012 12:59 am

Pacific Western was one of the Canadian operators. Did NWT Air even exist in 1974? I think that was all PWA territory back then. The other Canadian carrier was Nordair.

As to the US operators, I remember both Air California and PSA flying their Electras into Lake Tahoe during the 70s, primarily due to a ban on jet traffic at that airport. However, in the March 15, 1974 edition of the OAG, neither airline shows up in the schedules to Lake Tahoe. The other airline to operate an Electra does however, and that was Holiday Airlines.

I have fond memories of my only flight aboard a Reeve Electra, N1968R, the ex-Air New Zealand aircraft. Roomy, comfortable, huge windows and the daughter of our old Ester postmaster providing the great service!

I can remember the disappointment at having to fly on my first Electra back in 1966. We had been screwing around in Phoenix riding horses or something and as a result missed our scheduled flight up to Denver on a Western 720B. I was 8 years old and I was all about jets. Props were boring. Now I often wish I were born 10 or 20 years earlier just for all the great trains and planes that I missed out on. Still, I reckon I did pretty well anyway...

As to those other questions, they are eclectic enough that I'll just give you the answers now:

1.) Which airline operated twice daily 747 service between Chicago and Miami? Delta

2.) Which airline flew once a week 747 service between Houston and Los Angeles? National

3.) Which airline flew 1 stop DC-10 service between Phoenix and Los Angeles? Where was the stop? American ~ Palm Springs

4.) Which airline flew a once daily 747 flight between Chicago to Tampa? Northwest Orient