FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

Seat 2A Apr 29, 2022 1:12 am

2. (1992) You’ve got to fly from Perth to Buenos Aires next week and as luck would have it, you can accomplish this feat in just two nonstop flights. Two airlines will be involved, both of them operating the same type of aircraft. You’ll have most of the day to enjoy at the connection point and best of all First Class is available on both flights. Please provide the airlines, aircraft type and connection airport.

Air New Zealand PER-AKL connecting to Aerolineas Argentinas AKL-EZE, both on 747-200s
If not TE (when did Air New Zealand use NZ for int'l flights?), it must have been Qantas.

Surprisingly, it was not Qantas, mate. I'll have to get back to you on that TE/NZ switch (unless one of our cognoscenti cares to check in with the answer now).
So, if it wasn't QF, it must have been...

Not sure who else would have logically operated the route. South African Airways perhaps?

Per YVR Cockroach: I don’t believe SAA ever served New Zealand. WHBM would know for sure, but I believe SAA’s Australia service started with DC-7s via Mauritius and the “other” Christmas Island, the one in the Cocos Islands with the famous red crab migration. Qantas flew the same routing, dubbed the “Wallaby Route” if memory serves me well.... And then there was one more airline, taking its citizens out to the far reaches of the empire…

Per WHBM: What about British Airways, on a 747-200B/RR, operating London-Colombo-Perth-Auckland ?

And WHBMswoops in for the score! BA used to have some wonderfully varied routings across Asia and Australia to get to New Zealand, as exemplified here. Alas, by the time I started cashing in numerous Alaska Airlines miles for BA First awards in 2002, New Zealand had been dropped as well as flights to BNE, PER, DRW and ADL. Unfortunately, I don’t have the 1992 OAG with me or I would post the routing from London across to PER. Here's what we're looking at from PER to EZE -

British Airways BA 011 Perth (PER) 635p-545a Auckland (AKL) 747-200 Th Su
Aerolineas Argentinas AR 881 Auckland (AKL) 605p-255p Buenos Aires (EZE) 747-200 We Fr

Seat 2A Apr 29, 2022 1:14 am

Gang, I apologize here but I am exhausted. I'm gonna call it a day and will get all of these answered tomorrow morning.

Cheers!

Mwenenzi Apr 29, 2022 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 34205969)
2. (1992) You’ve got to fly from Perth to Buenos Aires next week and as luck would have it, you can accomplish this feat in just two nonstop flights. Two airlines will be involved, both of them operating the same type of aircraft. You’ll have most of the day to enjoy at the connection point and best of all First Class is available on both flights. Please provide the airlines, aircraft type and connection airport.

Air New Zealand PER-AKL connecting to Aerolineas Argentinas AKL-EZE, both on 747-200s
If not TE (when did Air New Zealand use NZ for int'l flights?), it must have been Qantas.

Surprisingly, it was not Qantas, mate. I'll have to get back to you on that TE/NZ switch (unless one of our cognoscenti cares to check in with the answer now).
<snip>

TEAL become Air NZ in 1965
LinksSo likely TE became NZ at that time or soon after.

In ~March 1993 I flew BA LHR-KCH?-PER-MEL (in economy). Even joined the BA ffp, but got no miles as cheap fare. They kept sending me stuff in the snail mail for years. Until BA (& QF?) decided those who live in AU could not be a member of BAEC or what ever they were called a the time. Only very recently (Nov 2021) has that BAEC rule been changed.

kochleffel Apr 29, 2022 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 34203979)
It was not TWA through STL but the aircraft used was an L-1011 variant. That should narrow it down considerably...

I always suspect that the answer is going to be something highly improbable, or an airline so obscure that I've never heard of it, but I'll go with the obvious again: DL through ATL.

kochleffel Apr 29, 2022 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 34203979)
OMG! You missed again on all three airlines! On a positive note, there are two good things:
1. You are correct that a 727-200 and DC-9-30 are involved
2. You've eliminated enough airlines (none of the ones we're looking for are regional) that you should strike gold on your next guess

I am out of airlines that are even remotely possible. I'm fairly sure that it wasn't New York Air or Provincetown-Boston, though.

WHBM Apr 29, 2022 6:53 am

BA used to have some wonderfully varied routings across Asia and Australia to get to New Zealand, as exemplified here.
British Airways BA 011 Perth (PER) 635p-545a Auckland (AKL) 747-200 Th Su

The well-known Speedbird 9 "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped" incident with Captain Eric Moody a few years earlier was on exactly this route, with a few more stops, London-Bombay-Kuala Lumpur-Perth-Melbourne-Auckland.

Captain Eric Moody Archives - This Day in Aviation

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 34206084)
Links. So likely TE became NZ at that time or soon after.

I think it was in 1990 that Air NZ finally gave up their TE flight designator for international flights, a quarter-century after they had been taken over by the NZ government and renamed from the old TEAL (Tasman Empire Air Lines) to Air NZ. In 1978 the former National Airways Corporation domestic flights were merged in, bringing their NZ flight designator with them, but it took a long while longer to put the designator on international flights.

TEAL was a jointly owned NZ Government - BOAC - Qantas - Union Airways company. Union Airways were the onetime domestic flight operator, an offshoot of Union Shipping who ran the ferries between the two NZ islands, and who later became National Airways Corporation, sometimes initialled NZNAC, and who brought the NZ flight prefix along with them. TEAL only did flights across the Tasman Sea (hence the name) to Australia at first, flights towards Fiji and Hawaii were done by British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines (BCPA) until well into the 1950s, same owners as TEAL but in different proportions.

Per YVR Cockroach: I don’t believe SAA ever served New Zealand.

i don't think so either. SAA and Qantas have shared the route across the bottom of ther Indian Ocean for a long time, back in the 1950s-60s it was only once every two weeks by each of the two operators, which must have been a considerable time away from home for the two crews changing over en route as well as at the ends; not a lot of demand, even to Australia. Quite a lot of the business went by BOAC, changing planes at Cairo between African and Australian services, generally known as "doing the horseshoe" after the WW2 service that went this way.

If you know Australia you will be aware that Perth is referred to as "Little Jo'burg" from the number of European-background immigrants who have come across the sea, and in recent times until their demise SAA only went to Perth, having left the continuation to Sydney to Qantas.

Mats Apr 29, 2022 8:31 am

Los Angeles to Vienna could have been on ALIA/Royal Jordanian with an L1011-500.

jlemon Apr 29, 2022 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Mats (Post 34206652)
Los Angeles to Vienna could have been on ALIA/Royal Jordanian with an L1011-500.

6. That would be my guess as well. I do recall seeing long range Royal Jordanian L15 Tristar aircraft at LAX around this time.

And, of course, we are still looking for the intermediate stop here between Los Angeles and Vienna which I believe was Chicago O'Hare.

Seat 2A Apr 29, 2022 11:48 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 34204028)
22. (1993) You’re a professor of Indigenous Studies at the University of Tennessee and you've been invited to speak at a symposium on Northern Peoples being held at the University of Ottawa, the capitol of Canada. You can’t help but cringe at what you presume will be a convoluted collection of airlines and flights required to fly from Knoxville to Ottawa. As such, you are positively ecstatic to learn that there’s a two-stop direct flight operating at a decent time of day, too. Book it, Danno! Airline, route and aircraft please.

Wild guess time..... USAir operating a Fokker F.28 Fellowship with stops in Charlotte and Baltimore.

You’re off to a good start here, JL. US Air is the airline of record, but we’re looking for a completely different routing as well as a different aircraft. I sense the correct answer is coming sooner than later...

Seat 2A Apr 29, 2022 11:52 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 34204388)
3. (1987) Well this oughta be fun! You need to fly from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Burbank, California and you’ve put together a nice little itinerary featuring three nonstop flights aboard three different airlines. Best of all, each of the three flights will be aboard 4-engine aircraft. If this sounds like your kind of trip, identify the three airlines, the routing and the three aircraft types.

I'll guess the first flight from Cheyenne was operated by Rocky Mountain Airways (perhaps as code sharing service as Continental Express) with a DHC-7 Dash 7 to Denver with the second flight from DEN to LAS being operated by United with a Super DC- 8 (probably a series 71). And as previously mentioned, the third flight from Las Vegas to Burbank may have been operated by PSA with a BAe 146.

Yer purty danged close there, JL - so close in fact that you correctly identified each of the aircraft (in order) as well as the route. I was wondering if anyone would catch the DHC-7 as we focus so many of our questions on jet services here. Your only error is PSA, and if the 146 operator isn’t the Poor Sailor’s Airline, then it must be…

Seat 2A Apr 29, 2022 11:54 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 34204620)
BI was the very odd duck then (and for quite a while after ) as, IIRC, it was the only airline from that part of the world operating narrow bodies on medium/long-haul flights, even as far as LON, when everyone else had (over) expanded into widebodies. And note, not a drop to drink no matter what class of service.

I was originally trying to see if I could make this question work from or to Europe, but BI's services to LHR and FRA were operated with a 767

Seat 2A Apr 29, 2022 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 34205513)
4. (1973) Miami International is a pretty good place for plane spotting. Jets, props from Central America and the Caribbean, even a small aircraft graveyard… it’s all good. There is one jet aircraft however that is extremely rare at MIA, so rare that as of the January 1973 North American OAG it’s limited to just a single daily flight. Please identify the aircraft as well as the airline and airport that it flies into Miami from.

We've mentioned a few one-offs in these regions over the years; I'll offer that this was a Convair 880 in LANICA livery operating to Managua/MGA

An excellent guess, J, but I do believe Central American airports were no longer included in the NA OAG by 1973. At least they weren't in the one I referenced. Please, do guess again!

21. (1973) What’s the first airport listed in the January 1st, 1973 OAG with scheduled jet service? Which airline and jet serves it. From where?

Let's try Abilene TX/ABI, service being a Texas International DC-9-10 from Dallas Love Field/DAL (DFW opened late in the year)

Aw..., just missed. Alphabetically speaking, you are ever so close! I'm sure you'll get it on your next guess!

Seat 2A Apr 29, 2022 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Speaking of South Africa - Argentina service, have a bonus question (though there is a hint right there).. At least two Asian airlines operated one route each that appeared to make very little if any commercial sense. Name the airlines, route, aircraft type and the rumoured reason why the service was operated and for whose benefit.

I remember Malaysian running Cape Town to Buenos Aires with a 747 - probably a -200. I believe the flight likely routed KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE. As to the reason for it, I can only imagine that there may have been a significant Malay population in South Africa. Not so sure about Malays in Argentina. Maybe CPT-EZE was a good money-maker below deck?

Seat 2A Apr 29, 2022 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 34206084)
LinksSo likely TE became NZ at that time or soon after.

To be clear, I was addressing not the airline name but rather the two-letter IATA code, as in TE vs NZ. I believe TE was used well into the 90s. It certainly was during my two flights in First Class aboard Air NZ back in the 80s. I know because I wrote the tickets.

Ah, I see WHBM has addressed this nicely in post 25731. Thank you, Sir! :tu:

Another interesting airline code change... Aloha Airlines. For many years, it was TS. Then, I'm thinking late 80s, maybe the 90s, it became AQ

Seat 2A Apr 29, 2022 12:21 pm

6. (1986) From your base in Los Angeles, you’ve been requested to fly to Vienna, Austria next week to consult on an agricultural project. Oh sheesh… the thought of having to connect through a crowded East Coast gateway airport and/or London’s byzantine Heathrow Airport is unsettling at best. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that one airline offers a single one stop direct flight from LA to Vienna with no change of equipment enroute. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.

Per Mats: Los Angeles to Vienna could have been on ALIA/Royal Jordanian with an L1011-500.

Per jlemon: That would be my guess as well. I do recall seeing long range Royal Jordanian L15 Tristar aircraft at LAX around this time. And, of course, we are still looking for the intermediate stop here between Los Angeles and Vienna which I believe was Chicago O'Hare.

WINNER! WINNER!! CHICKEN DINNER!!! Good call, Boys! Way to tag-team! ALIA it was with an L-1011-500. Here's the itinerary:

ALIA RJ 266 Los Angeles (LAX) 115p-655p Chicago (ORD) 745p-1215p Vienna (VIE) L-1011-500 Tu Sa