FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

N965VJ Jan 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 17836941)
Thanks Wally Bird!

Yes, thanks! It's been a few years since I've looked, but I didn't know there was a picture of my namesake on the net somewhere. That made my day. :) When US started parking them, I saved the door that went over the ACARS panel in the fwd galley from 965.

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 17836500)
I'm also curious about your handle there, N965VJ: did this "N" number appear on a US Air DC-9-30?

I was a FA for 15 years at US, so both the aircraft and me were born in the 60s and flew around the northeast for US. :D

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 17836500)
BTW, the routing for the PI operated F-28 flight I took many years ago was MIA-EYW.....

PI had a small crew base in MIA I think, this is jogging my memory. I was hired by US before the PI merger, so my PI knowledge isn't the best. They also had small bases in SYR and DAY. When US finally parked the F-28s in CLT, a number of pilots sat around collecting flight at home for a few months since the company didn't transition them to another aircraft right away. Lucky dogs. :D

jlemon Jan 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Great to know about your time on board the venerable DC-9.....

I like that old bird and although I never had the opportunity to fly on a DC-9-30 operated by US, I did travel quite a bit back in the day on the D9S as well as on the smaller DC-9 and larger DC-9-50 via such carriers as Continental, Delta, Eastern, Hawaiian, Hughes Air West, Muse Air, Northwest, Trans Texas Airways (TTa) and TWA.......

I even remember a country music song entitled, "Have you ever seen Dallas from a DC-9 at night?"......

jlemon Jan 19, 2012 9:02 am

P.S. - Here's some more info concerning the song I referred to above...

The song is actually entitled "Dallas" and appears on several albums released by Jimmie Dale Gilmore and Joe Ely.

The live version recorded at Antone's in Austin by Joe Ely is my favorite.

cs57 Jan 20, 2012 4:43 am

In 1986 you could fly from EWR to MSY on a MD80 and get Becks Beer in a bottle in Y. Name the airline.

Also, you could fly from JFK to ALB (with a stop in BDL) on what airline?

jlemon Jan 20, 2012 7:46 am

And here's several more questions as well, just to keep the ball rolling....

1) What airline operated scheduled Boeing 747 passenger service between Seattle and Fairbanks, Alaska?

2) Following the deregulation of the airline industry back in 1978 (thank you, Alfred Kahn), PSA expanded their route system out of California with international service as well as service to Colorado. What were these new destinations and what type of aircraft did PSA use to fly these routes?

3) Name two airlines that provided scheduled passenger jet service between Las Vegas and the south rim of the Grand Canyon and the respective aircraft types used for these services.

4) Which model of the Embraer 145 has winglets and what airline is the only U.S. based air carrier to operate this specific RJ model?

5) Name the airlines that participated in the various "interchange" flight agreements between Alaska and the lower 48 states.

Cattle Airlines Jan 20, 2012 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 17851065)

2) Following the deregulation of the airline industry back in 1978 (thank you, Alfred Kahn), PSA expanded their route system out of California with international service as well as service to Colorado. What were these new destinations and what type of aircraft did PSA use to fly these routes?

These questions are getting hard so please eventually tell us the answers.

PSA: Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. Guess: 727. Reason for guess: They didn't get DC-9 Super 80's until a little later.

jlemon Jan 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines (Post 17852045)
These questions are getting hard so please eventually tell us the answers.

PSA: Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. Guess: 727. Reason for guess: They didn't get DC-9 Super 80's until a little later.

Correct!

PSA also served Los Cabos in Baja Mexico some years later.

In Colorado, PSA served the Steamboat Springs ski resort area via the Yampa Valley Airport (HDN) near Hayden, CO.

BTW, Steamboat Springs does have a close in airport (SBS) but it is too small for jet airline traffic. SBS was served in the past by long gone Rocky Mountain Airways with DHC-7 "Dash 7" STOL turboprops from Denver.

Seat 2A Jan 20, 2012 5:48 pm

And here's a few answers:

1) What airline operated scheduled Boeing 747 passenger service between Seattle and Fairbanks, Alaska? Pan Am. That flight used to originate in Hawaii, stop in Seattle and operate a 9:30pm SEA-FAI flight, returning down to SEA at 1:00am. As I recall, PA made alot more money in freight on that flight than they ever did on human cargo. Back in the 70s, on long summer evenings in Delta Junction, I used to see the plane fly overhead on its way to or from Fairbanks.

In addition to the answer above, I should add that I flew a PSA DC-9-80 from Phoenix to LAX in June of 1984.

3) Name two airlines that provided scheduled passenger jet service between Las Vegas and the south rim of the Grand Canyon and the respective aircraft types used for these services. Well I'm pretty sure that Hughes Airwest operated a service LAS-GCN-Page with a DC-9-15. The other airline I'm guessing would be either TriStar or Royal West, both of which operated BAe-146s.

4) Which model of the Embraer 145 has winglets and what airline is the only U.S. based air carrier to operate this specific RJ model? I believe I've flown it, a 145LR, in the service of Continental Express. Or perhaps I should say ExpressJet?

5) Name the airlines that participated in the various "interchange" flight agreements between Alaska and the lower 48 states.

Well, Continental and Western had one because I flew CO's DC-10 on a Western flight between Anchorage and Seattle in July of 1977. In May of 1976, I flew ANC-SEA aboard a Braniff 727-200 operating an interchange with Alaska. We used to see that BN 72S at FAI now and then. I believe it routed FAI-ANC-SEA-DFW-IAH. I also used to fly alot of American 727-200s operating in an interchange with Alaska DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI. Additionally, I think Continental had an interchange with Alaska operating FAI-ANC-SEA-DEN-ICT with a 727-200.

N702ML Jan 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by 777-100SP (Post 17808919)
What other crosstown flights were there?

I know United had San Francisco-Oakland service, sometimes continuing to Denver.

Orange County-Los Angeles service also existed.

How about JFK-Laguardia? Or Dulles-Washington National?

I don't think anyone else has chimed in on the east coast routes yet unless I missed it.

Not sure about JFK-LGA. I can't think of any carriers on that route except maybe scheduled helicopter service back in the days.

As far as IAD-DCA....

Multiple airlines have done this one over the years....

Western did it in the early 80s as part of a DCA-IAD-SLC route.

(Western's 1984 route map showing the route: http://www.departedflights.com/WA070184.html)

American did DCA-IAD-DFW several times daily in the early and mid-80s before the DCA perimiter rule was expanded several hundred miles to allow nonstops to DFW.

Also, Braniff (II) did the DCA-IAD-DFW thing when they began flying again in the mid-80s.

(Braniff's 1984 route map showing the route: http://www.departedflights.com/BN030184.html)

cs57 Jan 20, 2012 6:05 pm

EWR/MSY was on New York Air
JFK/BDL/ALB was on Pan Am (Ransome) using DH-7

Seat 2A Jan 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Here's a few more off the top of my head...

1.) American put a piano in the coach lounges of its 747 fleet. What airline installed "Pong" in the lounge tables aboard its widebody jets?

2.) Everybody knows that United, American, Delta and TWA operated 767-200s.
What are the other three U.S. passenger airlines that also flew the shorter 767-200?

3.) What major U.S. airport used to be known as "Wilcox Field"?

4.) Air Canada flew the 767-200. What other Canadian airline also operated the -200?

5.) Which commercial U.S. airport has the longest runway?

GRALISTAIR Jan 20, 2012 6:15 pm

4) Which model of the Embraer 145 has winglets and what airline is the only U.S. based air carrier to operate this specific RJ model?

I have flown it numerous times between MCI-CLE and reverse and also EWR-MCI and reverse. It is Continental Airlines through Express Jet

GRALISTAIR Jan 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17854868)

5.) Which commercial U.S. airport has the longest runway?

I am fairly confident that is Denver. It is already 1 mile high and therefore the air is thinner and more difficult to get lift. I also have received a VDB on a few occasions through there on a very hot summers day as the heat makes lift even more difficult (warm air is less dense and rises). So long story short - they need long runways.

jyh Jan 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17587551)
There's no rule here on this thread that you have to know the answer off the top of your head (though it makes it more fun to try) and I would not have taken any offense even if you had used the internet. :) At this point it's just informational fun for us all.

It's a little easier for me as I have been collecting airline postcards since I was just a kid, and at one point had over 25000 of them. With so many airlines publishing their own postcards back in the old days, postcard collecting was a great way to be aware of airline fleets. I used to spend alot of money on stamps writing to ALL the airlines asking for postcards and brochures about their airplanes.

It gets worse though. I actually read through old copies of the OAG for pure enjoyment and have been for almost 40 years. As in Check it out! Back in 1966, Western Airlines actually flew Connies between Kodiak and Seattle. Ohmygod! United flew DC-8s into Grand Junction! Awesome! And the international editions - great fun looking for all those old Comets and Convairs, or counting Caravelles in South America.

jyh Jan 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 17587551)
It gets worse though. I actually read through old copies of the OAG for pure enjoyment and have been for almost 40 years.

I grew up with month old copies of OAG I begged the ticket counter agents for when I was a kid. I still remember looking at JAL's DC-7's and wondering how that bird crossed an ocean. But that was more then 40 years ago, I gave it up when I turned 12 :)