FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

dfw88 Apr 8, 2020 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 32275677)
40. Now you are in Denver in 1984 and are off to Fairbanks in the front cabin. This flight operates six days a week and makes two stops en route with both breakfast and lunch being served. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft..

Denver makes me think of UA first. I know they used to have a hub (was it officially a hub?) at SEA as well where I think they had some Alaska flights. Maybe they operated FAI as a tag off of ANC. Let's go with UA with stops at SEA and ANC on a 727. I guess that sort of routing may be more likely as two flights with a change at SEA, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

jlemon Apr 8, 2020 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dfw88 (Post 32275755)
Denver makes me think of UA first. I know they used to have a hub (was it officially a hub?) at SEA as well where I think they had some Alaska flights. Maybe they operated FAI as a tag off of ANC. Let's go with UA with stops at SEA and ANC on a 727. I guess that sort of routing may be more likely as two flights with a change at SEA, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

40. Ah, it wasn't United and the equipment wasn't a B727-100. But you are definitely on the right track here as the stops were indeed Seattle and Anchorage.

Please guess again, sir!

Seat 2A Apr 8, 2020 12:25 pm

I was looking at both of these questions last night but as I'd answered my quota for the day I held off. Since a couple of hours have now passed since the original answers, please allow me to tap in...

34. You are in Eugene, Oregon and need to travel to Atlanta. Ah, here's a direct, one stop flight which operates daily. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft.
PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the stop was made at DEN. It wasn't United and the aircraft wasn't a B727-100.

I remember this route well - it was Frontier operating a 737-200.

40. Now you are in Denver in 1984 and are off to Fairbanks in the front cabin. This flight operates six days a week and makes two stops en route with both breakfast and lunch being served. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the stops were SEA and ANC. It wasn't United and the aircraft wasn't a B727-100.

From the get-go I was thinking Wien Alaska operating a 737-200 on this one. When I saw dfw88's supposition that it was United with a 727-100, I thought "Of course!" 1984 was the year United expanded mainline jet service to all 50 states, thus allowing me to complete the 50 State Marathon and earn a year of unlimited free First Class travel around the 50 states. United made a lot of sense and I figured dfw88 had a winner here. But NO! Wien had been serving the route since at least 1982, possibly earlier. So let's go with WC operating the aforementioned 73S.

jlemon Apr 8, 2020 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 32276247)
I was looking at both of these questions last night but as I'd answered my quota for the day I held off. Since a couple of hours have now passed since the original answers, please allow me to tap in...

34. You are in Eugene, Oregon and need to travel to Atlanta. Ah, here's a direct, one stop flight which operates daily. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft.
PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the stop was made at DEN. It wasn't United and the aircraft wasn't a B727-100.

I remember this route well - it was Frontier operating a 737-200.

40. Now you are in Denver in 1984 and are off to Fairbanks in the front cabin. This flight operates six days a week and makes two stops en route with both breakfast and lunch being served. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the stops were SEA and ANC. It wasn't United and the aircraft wasn't a B727-100.

From the get-go I was thinking Wien Alaska operating a 737-200 on this one. When I saw dfw88's supposition that it was United with a 727-100, I thought "Of course!" 1984 was the year United expanded mainline jet service to all 50 states, thus allowing me to complete the 50 State Marathon and earn a year of unlimited free First Class travel around the 50 states. United made a lot of sense and I figured dfw88 had a winner here. But NO! Wien had been serving the route since at least 1982, possibly earlier. So let's go with WC operating the aforementioned 73S.

34. Correct! Here's the sched operated by good old Frontier.....

FL 196: Eugene (EUG) 11:54a - 3:22p Denver (DEN) 4:08p - 9:00p Atlanta (ATL)
Freq: Daily
Service class: S
Meal services: Lunch EUG-DEN, Dinner DEN-ATL
Equip: B737-200

40. Ah......you are very close here. However, please note this quiz item mentions being in the "front cabin" from Denver all the way to Fairbanks which would indicate that two class service was offered on this flight....and I believe that Wien operated their B737-200 aircraft in a single class coach configuration.

Care to amend your answer, sir?

jrl767 Apr 8, 2020 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 32275677)
35. You've had a wonderful time visiting with friends on the north shore of Lake Tahoe when you receive a message just after dinner requesting your presence at a 4:00 pm meeting in Hartford the next afternoon. A quick bit of research reveals a surprise in the form of a daily flight departing Reno just before midnight which will get you into Hartford the next day just before 2:00 pm. Three stops will be made en route and first class is available. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

35- I'm thinking that the first leg was rather short, the second was to the airline's hub in the southeast or midwest, and the third was another short hop ... let's start with Eastern, operating via Las Vegas (LAS), Atlanta (ATL), and Newark (EWR) with a 727-200

dfw88 Apr 8, 2020 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 32276247)

I was just coming back here to offer Wien Alaska as my next guess but alas you have beat me to it! As to the still-missing aircraft type I think that only leaves the 727-200, right?

Seat 2A Apr 8, 2020 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 32276371)
40. Ah......you are very close here. However, please note this quiz item mentions being in the "front cabin" from Denver all the way to Fairbanks which would indicate that two class service was offered on this flight....and I believe that Wien operated their B737-200 aircraft in a single class coach configuration.

Care to amend your answer, sir?

No. It's got to be Wien. Check again!

Seat 2A Apr 8, 2020 2:07 pm

:eek: Just kidding! It can't be Delta or Western as they never flew DEN-SEA back then. However, I do recall Northwest serving this route with a DC-10. The service didn't last long - maybe a year, if that - but there you go. I'm going with Northwest.

jlemon Apr 8, 2020 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 32276591)
No. It's got to be Wien. Check again!

40. Well, it is indeed Wien....but not with a Boeing 737-200 (and I was trying to get you to change your guess concerning the equipment). The aircraft operated on this flight was a Boeing 727-200 featuring Business Class up front. Here's a brochure from Wien concerning their business class product which was only offered on the 72S and thus not on the 73S.....

WCbusinessclass84

jlemon Apr 8, 2020 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by dfw88 (Post 32276540)
I was just coming back here to offer Wien Alaska as my next guess but alas you have beat me to it! As to the still-missing aircraft type I think that only leaves the 727-200, right?

40. Yep, it was Wien Air Alaska. Here's the sched.....

WC 1: Denver (DEN) 8:30a - 10:05a Seattle (SEA) 10:45a - 1:05p Anchorage (ANC) 1:35p - 2:25p Fairbanks (FAI)
Freq: Daily except Sundays
Service classes: C/Y (Business Class & Coach)
Meal services: Breakfast DEN-SEA, Lunch SEA-ANC
Equip: B727-200

jlemon Apr 8, 2020 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 32276446)
35- I'm thinking that the first leg was rather short, the second was to the airline's hub in the southeast or midwest, and the third was another short hop ... let's start with Eastern, operating via Las Vegas (LAS), Atlanta (ATL), and Newark (EWR) with a 727-200

35. Yep, the equipment was a B727-200 and the third stop was Newark (EWR). But nope, the airline wasn't Eastern and stops were not made at Las Vegas or Atlanta. Please guess again!

jrl767 Apr 8, 2020 3:23 pm

35- EWR as the last stop sure suggests Continental, which in turn suggests Houston (IAH) as the mid-con hub for the second stop ... I can't recall CO ever operating RNO-LAX, so this must have been a Bay Area tag-on, and SJC's curfew means the ~0130 departure had to be from SFO

and going back to clean up an earlier one:

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 32276747)
32. In 1981, this airline was operating one flight a week from Calgary to Montego Bay, Jamaica with one stop being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the airline was Air Canada. Still looking for the equipment which wasn't a Super DC8-61 and the stop which wasn't YYZ.

32- I wonder if this might have been a one-off domestic leg that served Montreal Mirabel (YMX) ... the equipment *could* have been a wide-body (767-200 or L-1011), but was far more likely a 727-233

Herb687 Apr 8, 2020 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 32267440)
The next six quiz items all have a time line of 1983.....
37. Now you are in Los Angeles and are off to Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina. You'd rather not make a connection and are in luck as you've found a daily direct flight from LAX to a city near the park which will make two stops en route. Better yet, first class is available. Identify the air carrier, both stops, the city you will arrive into and the equipment.

The obscure UA mini-hub at MEM probably features here. I will guess this was a UA 727 operating LAX-MEM-HSV-TYS.

I believe these strange UA flights on routes like LAX/SFO - HSV/MEM predated deregulation. Does anyone know the story of why and how UA wound up with these routes? Last remnants of a mostly dismantled Capital Airlines network (which, from my recollection, hubbed at ATL)?

jlemon Apr 8, 2020 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 32276853)
35- EWR as the last stop sure suggests Continental, which in turn suggests Houston (IAH) as the mid-con hub for the second stop ... I can't recall CO ever operating RNO-LAX, so this must have been a Bay Area tag-on, and SJC's curfew means the ~0130 departure had to be from SFO

and going back to clean up an earlier one:

32- I wonder if this might have been a one-off domestic leg that served Montreal Mirabel (YMX) ... the equipment *could* have been a wide-body (767-200 or L-1011), but was far more likely a 727-233

35. Continental with the routing you've described is correct! Here's the sched....

CO 102: Reno (RNO) 11:40p - 12:35a San Francisco (SFO) 1:22a - 6:59a Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 8:20a - 12:24p New York Newark (EWR) 1:10p - 1:45p Hartford/Springfield (BDL)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Snack SFO-IAH, Breakfast IAH-EWR
Equip: B727-200

32. Air Canada indeed operated this flight from Calgary to Montego Bay with a B727-200. However, the stop was not made at Montreal Mirabel.....or for that matter at Montreal Dorval. Please guess again!

jlemon Apr 8, 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 32276978)
The obscure UA mini-hub at MEM probably features here. I will guess this was a UA 727 operating LAX-MEM-HSV-TYS.

I believe these strange UA flights on routes like LAX/SFO - HSV/MEM predated deregulation. Does anyone know the story of why and how UA wound up with these routes? Last remnants of a mostly dismantled Capital Airlines network (which, from my recollection, hubbed at ATL)?

Back in the mid 1970's the CAB had awarded nonstop route authority to United between Los Angeles (LAX) and Birmingham (BHM), Huntsville (HSV) and Memphis (MEM). UA then initially operated nonstop service between LAX and these three cities in the southern U.S. primarily with B727-100 equipment. Some of these flights from LAX then continued on to Knoxville and other U.S. cities in the south and southeast. In one case, being Huntsville, there was an aerospace industry link with southern California as NASA was operating (and still operates) the Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) in Huntsville. You may recall that the Saturn V rocket used for the Apollo missions to the moon was developed by NASA at MSFC with the help of some German engineers who had previously been involved with military rockets in their home country. And some here may recall that our family lived in Huntsville for several years back then as my Dad was an aerospace engineer with Boeing at the time who was involved with the Apollo program (BTW, I met Wernher von Braun's daughter when we lived there). As for Memphis and Birmingham, well, perhaps the CAB thought it was time to expand air service to southern California. But let's get back to your response....

37. A great guess! However, it wasn't United, the stops were not made at Memphis or Huntsville and the equipment wasn't a B727-100.

Please guess again, sir!