FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

Seat 2A Nov 11, 19 10:46 pm

First off, congratulations to the Sounders and all of their most fervent followers on a great victory over Toronto yesterday. I believe that's their second, n'est pas? Great picture, too!

As to the questions, I'm not so sure I feel I'm in tap-in territory just yet, but let's give it a go.

2A- BIL – XXX
2B- XXX – YYY
2C- YYY – ZZZ
2D- ZZZ – BHX

2A- BIL-ORD partially correct; not for this leg, NW incorrect, 72S partially correct; not for this leg... that said, I was surprised to find that NW actually operated such a flight

Oh yeah, NW used to operate BIL-ORD with a B3F and later a DC-10 - both seemingly a bit of overkill on this market but who knows - maybe they made more money in cargo on those flights... I just remember in my occasional peregrinations through the pages of the OAG, these flights always stood out. Anyway, as to my second guess, it's a year too early for United so let's go with Western running a 737-200 BIL-SLC

2B- ORD-JFK incorrect, NW incorrect, 747 partially correct; not for this leg, and a technicality on the type ... BIL-ORD-JFK would have required a 27-minute connection

No schedules available out here on the Mississippi River, but BIL-ORD-JFK sure seemed like a good routing. I have no idea of times though. In any event, you've indicated JFK is incorrect so let's roll the dice and try connecting to a Western 727-200 SLC-ORD

2C- JFK-AMS incorrect, KL incorrect, D10 incorrect ... I have to think, given the answers above and below, this will now be a simple tap-in

Alrighty then... well if it isn't AMS and we're running a 747 to somewhere close enough for a BD F27 to serve BHX, let's try an Air France 747 to Paris, i.e. ORD-CDG

2D- BD correct, F27 correct

It's hard to imagine AF and BD as bedfellows, but what the hey - BD F.27 running CDG-BHX

jrl767 Nov 12, 19 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31727303)
First off, congratulations to the Sounders and all of their most fervent followers on a great victory over Toronto yesterday. I believe that's their second, n'est pas? Great picture, too!

indeed it is the Rave Greenís second MLS Cup win ... the first also over Toronto in 2016

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31727303)
2A- ... NW used to operate BIL-ORD with a B3F and later a DC-10 - both seemingly a bit of overkill on this market but who knows - maybe they made more money in cargo on those flights... I just remember in my occasional peregrinations through the pages of the OAG, these flights always stood out. Anyway, as to my second guess, it's a year too early for United so let's go with Western running a 737-200 BIL-SLC
2B- No schedules available out here on the Mississippi River, but BIL-ORD-JFK sure seemed like a good routing. I have no idea of times though. In any event, you've indicated JFK is incorrect so let's roll the dice and try connecting to a Western 727-200 SLC-ORD
2C- Alrighty then... well if it isn't AMS and we're running a 747 to somewhere close enough for a BD F27 to serve BHX, let's try an Air France 747 to Paris, i.e. ORD-CDG
2D- It's hard to imagine AF and BD as bedfellows, but what the hey - BD F.27 running CDG-BHX

well, you may not have been in tap-in territory before, but youíre certainly there now :D
2A: WA incorrect, 737 incorrect, SLC incorrect ówhich doesnít leave a lot of options
2B: 72S correct, ORD correct
2C: AF incorrect, 747 partially correct (again, just a technicality on the type), CDG incorrect ówhich again leaves only a few options

Seat 2A Nov 12, 19 9:05 am

2A: WA incorrect, 737 incorrect, SLC incorrect —which doesn’t leave a lot of options

Alright then, although I was thinking UA didn't get into Billings until its 50 State expansion in 1984, I don't see any other options here. So, let's go with a United 73S BIL-DEN

2B: 72S correct, ORD correct

Right - that leaves us with a United 72S DEN-ORD

2C: AF incorrect, 747 partially correct (again, just a technicality on the type), CDG incorrect —which again leaves only a few options

A technicality of the type? I'm not sure what that means unless possibly it's a combi. If not KLM via AMS, I believe Sabena was an early combi operator what with its far flung operations to the Congo. At this point, it's as good a guess as any I suppose... Sabena used to route its ORD flights through YMX, but let's hope by now they're operating nonstop. So then, Sabena 747 Combi ORD-BRU

2D: And that leaves us with the final leg - BD BRU-BHX F.27

jlemon Nov 12, 19 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31704960)

All that notwithstanding, it didn't take long to establish that I am definitely not a cruise ship person. The ships are too big and there are way too many people around for my tastes.....

From now on however, you're likely to find me on smaller ships......

Yep, I'm definitely in the same boat, so to speak! In fact, Lady K and yours truly have now returned from a one week sail in French Polynesia on board the "Wind Spirit" operated by Windstar Cruises. The "Wind Spirit" is a four-masted sailing vessel that can a transport a maximum of 148 passengers with a crew of of just over 100. Completed in 1987 by Ateliers et Chantiers de Havre in Le Havre, France, the "Wind Spirit" is registered in Nassau, Bahamas and is capable of just under 16 knots with all of her computer-controlled sails up in favorable wind conditions. Although the "Wind Spirit" has a 5,307 gross tonnage, it is still affected by significant open ocean swells which is a condition we experienced several times, especially while sailing en route between the islands of Bora Bora and Huahine. I'm glad to report I did not spill my coffee and Baileys while visiting on the bridge of the vessel with Mr. Paul, the Chief Officer who hails from a small town north of London, England, during a rather rambunctious ride as we made our approach to the narrow channel through the ring reef to Huahine. And the huge breakers on either side of the vessel as we made our way through this channel into the lagoon at Huahine were a magnificent sight with the ship's officers very much on their toes during this very interesting transit into much calmer waters.

jrl767 Nov 13, 19 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31728577)
2A: Alright then, although I was thinking UA didn't get into BIL until their 50 State expansion in 1984, I don't see any other options here. So, United 73S BIL-DEN

2B: Right - let's make that a United 72S

2C: A technicality of the type? I'm not sure what that means unless possibly it's a combi. If not KLM via AMS, I believe Sabena was an early combi operator. At this point, it's as good a guess as any... Sabena 747 Combi ORD-BRU

2D: BD BRU-BHX F.27

getting EVER closer :cool:
2A: UA incorrect, DEN correct ... so who operated BIL-DEN with something other than a 737, connecting to a 72S to ORD? (we already knew we weren't starting out on a 737 after WA/SLC turned out to be incorrect)
2C: SN correct , 74M correct
2D: BD/SN F27 correct

jlemon Nov 13, 19 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31732964)
getting EVER closer :cool:
2A: UA incorrect, DEN correct ... so who operated BIL-DEN with something other than a 737, connecting to a 72S to ORD? (we already knew we weren't starting out on a 737 after WA/SLC turned out to be incorrect)
2C: SN correct , 74M correct
2D: BD/SN F27 correct

2A: Let's see if I can tap this one in....

CO D9S BIL-DEN connecting to CO 72S DEN-ORD

jrl767 Nov 13, 19 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31733720)
2A: Let's see if I can tap this one in....

CO D9S BIL-DEN connecting to CO 72S DEN-ORD

marutu ang * (well done) !
2A: CO correct, D9S correct

*- thanks to Google Translate, English to Tahitian :D

jrl767 Nov 13, 19 3:36 pm

here's what we have identified so far:
1A- BLR – BOM, Air India A300
1B- BOM – BKK, Air France/UTA, 747-200
1C- BKK – NRT – SEA, Thai, 747-200
1D- SEA – GEG – GTF – BIL, Northwest, 727-200

2A- BIL – DEN, Continental DC-9-30
2B- DEN – ORD, CO 727-200
2C- ORD – BRU, Sabena, 747 Combi
2D- BRU – BHX, British Midland / Sabena, F.27

3A- BHX – AMS, NLM, F-27
3B- AMS – ATL, KLM, 747-200
3C- ATL – BHM, Eastern, 757

and here are the five remaining itineraries:

4- Another week, another trip halfway around the globe. You’ve been invited to a Friday luncheon meeting with prospective clients in Beirut; if all goes well, you will spend Saturday doing site visits, and then have Sunday at leisure before departing for an as-yet-unknown destination. Unfortunately the direct Middle East Airlines 747 from JFK gets in at 1645; equally unfortunately, the Thursday afternoon SAS flight from Athens to BEY, which would have given you the long JFK-ATH ride upstairs on a 747 (either Olympic or TWA), is completely sold out. Ditto the KLM flight from Amsterdam. Sure, there are a handful of other options via Atlanta and a U.S. gateway city, but a little additional research yields an extremely interesting option that doesn't involve ATL: three flights (the second making one enroute stop), three airlines (the third flight is listed as being operated by two different airlines), three different aircraft types.

4A- BHM – TPA, Republic, DC-9-10
4B- TPA – IAD – LHR, Pan Am / Delta, 747
4C- LHR – BEY, Middle East / British Airways, 707

5- Hartford beckons next. You’ll need to be there no later than Tuesday morning, but the company won’t spring for the Concorde from Heathrow to JFK on Monday (which would allow you a civilized departure from BEY around noon). Virtually all the schedules out of Beirut force you to overnight in Europe on Sunday, which is an equally unpleasant option. After some digging, though, you find a way to make it work without either an extra hotel stay or a redeye departure: three flights (the first with an unpublished technical stop), three airlines, three different aircraft types. There are actually two options for the second leg, each on a different carrier and each with a different jet; while you recognize the name of one of the airlines, you’ve never heard of the other, but a little investigation reveals the interesting lineage behind its familiar two-letter designator.

5A- BEY– XXX, stop at AAA
5B- XXX – YYY
5C- YYY – BDL

6- A week later you’re returning to the Middle East, albeit to a rather different locale – Abu Dhabi. Your business obligations will begin with late-morning coffee on Thursday, which dictates a Tuesday departure from BDL. While you could certainly route via Heathrow, you much prefer a longer transatlantic leg, so you book a four-flight sequence (the third with an intermediate stop) involving three airlines and four very different (and rather uncommon) aircraft types. The third flight is also dual-marketed.

6A- BDL – XXX
6B- XXX – YYY
6C- YYY – ZZZ, stop at AAA
6D- ZZZ – AUH

7- The Abu Dhabi project looks like it will wrap up in a week, so you advise the home office that you will be departing late Friday night or early Saturday and taking the following week to vacation in Taos. For some obscure reason, the direct flights to both Charles de Gaulle and Heathrow and Paris (Gulf Air at 2330 and British at 0015, respectively) have no availability between AUH and Doha; the 0055 Sabena flight to Brussels and and the Singapore Airlines departure at 0320 to Athens (and thence Amsterdam) are also completely sold out. Aha! There’s another option with a connection that brings you to a secondary European hub, but the prospect of a forced Saturday overnight in the event of thunderstorms at your US arrival point is enough to make you re-think how to reach Albuquerque. Happily, you find something else that looks almost ideal; best of all, it leaves (and arrives) close to four hours earlier, and the first redeye leg is a nice long one. Both itineraries involve four flights, three different airlines, and three different aircraft types. Bonus points for the route you opted out of taking (HINT: it’s similar to what you flew on the way to AUH, and the flight from your US arrival point to ABQ makes a stop en route).

7A- AUH – XXX
7B- XXX – YYY
7C- YYY – ZZZ
7D- ZZZ – ABQ, stop at AAA on the original candidate itinerary

8- Well now! Your next assignment will take you somewhere you’ve not yet been … Abidjan, Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire). The first orders of business will commence on Monday, so you’ll need to arrive on Sunday. You have Friday dinner reservations in Albuquerque, so you won't be able to depart until Saturday morning; yes, there’s a direct Air Afrique flight departing JFK that evening, but where’s the fun in that? What to do, what to do? How about a very roundabout itinerary, involving six flights on four airlines, with four different aircraft types; the fifth flight makes an enroute stop.

8A- ABQ – XXX
8B- XXX – YYY
8C- YYY – ZZZ
8D- ZZZ – AAA
8E- AAA – BBB, stop at CCC
8F- BBB – ABJ

Toshbaf Nov 13, 19 10:33 pm

4A- BHM – XXX
4B- XXX – YYY, stop at ZZZ
4C- YYY – BEY

4A BHM-EWR, People Express, Boeing 727-200
4B JFK-LHR-KWI, Kuwait Airways, Boeing 747-200
4C KWI-BEY, MEA, Boeing 707

jrl767 Nov 13, 19 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 31734841)
4A BHM-EWR, People Express, Boeing 727-200
4B JFK-LHR-KWI, Kuwait Airways, Boeing 747-200
4C KWI-BEY, MEA, Boeing 707

:cool: thatís a most intriguing guess ... and two-thirds of it could have actually worked

4A- EWR incorrect, PE incorrect, 72S incorrect ... the OAG that Iím using doesnít show PE operating BHM-EWR
4B- JFK incorrect, LHR incorrect, KWI incorrect, KU incorrect, 747 correct (the OAG doesnít differentiate between the 747-100 and -200, but I donít think the airline in question operated the -200); moreover, I would have stated that a change of airports was required between 4A and 4B
4C- ME partially correct (still need to identify the codeshare airline), 707 correct

Toshbaf Nov 14, 19 1:02 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31734940)
:cool: thatís a most intriguing guess ... and two-thirds of it could have actually worked

4A- EWR incorrect, PE incorrect, 72S incorrect ... the OAG that Iím using doesnít show PE operating BHM-EWR
4B- JFK incorrect, LHR incorrect, KWI incorrect, KU incorrect, 747 correct (the OAG doesnít differentiate between the 747-100 and -200, but I donít think the airline in question operated the -200); moreover, I would have stated that a change of airports was required between 4A and 4B
4C- ME partially correct (still need to identify the codeshare airline), 707 correct

PE did operate BMH-EWR but maybe not in 1983.

This is going to be a hard question. Birmingham didn't have far flung flights.

4A - BMH-ORD, United, Boeing 737-200
4B - ORD-SNN-DUB, Aer Lingus, Boeing 747
4C - DUB-BEY, MEA, Boeing 707

Frankly, I am skeptical that there was a Dublin Beirut route.

jrl767 Nov 14, 19 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 31735114)
This is going to be a hard question. Birmingham didn't have far flung flights.

the OAG that I’m using for reference shows the two most distant cities with nonstop service to BHM at ~600 miles, just a bit farther than ORD which is 586 miles

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 31735114)
4A - BHM-ORD, United, Boeing 737-200
4B - ORD-SNN-DUB, Aer Lingus, Boeing 747
4C - DUB-BEY, MEA, Boeing 707

Frankly, I am skeptical that there was a Dublin Beirut route.

4A- ORD incorrect, UA incorrect, 737 incorrect
4B- SNN incorrect, DUB incorrect, EI incorrect — ;) your skepticism is well founded, but you are a lot closer
(and we still need the airline that operated the code-share with ME)

Toshbaf Nov 14, 19 2:24 am

4A - BMH-DFW, Delta, DC-9
4B - DFW-ORD-ORY, American
4C - ORY-BEY, MEA codeshare with Air France

Purely speculative answers above. Some of them probably never existed at any time.

jrl767 Nov 14, 19 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 31735254)
4A - BHM-DFW, Delta, DC-9
4B - DFW-ORD-ORY, American
4C - ORY-BEY, MEA codeshare with Air France

Purely speculative answers above. Some of them probably never existed at any time.

:D you keep tossing out some extremely entertaining ideas!

4A: DFW incorrect, DL incorrect, DC-9 partially correct (please specify the model)
4B: ORD incorrect, ORY incorrect, AA incorrect ... I don't believe AA ever operated the 747-200 on TATL flights, and I don't believe they ever operated into ORY (for the record, CDG is also incorrect)
4C: AF incorrect

Toshbaf Nov 14, 19 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31736573)
:D you keep tossing out some extremely entertaining ideas!

4A: DFW incorrect, DL incorrect, DC-9 partially correct (please specify the model)
4B: ORD incorrect, ORY incorrect, AA incorrect ... I don't believe AA ever operated the 747-200 on TATL flights, and I don't believe they ever operated into ORY (for the record, CDG is also incorrect)
4C: AF incorrect

This I know. AA did fly into Orly until around the early 1990's or so, then switched to CDG. Delta also used Orly only and switched to CDG late, like AA. They didn't switch right after CDG opened.

4A - BMH-DTW, Northwest, McDonnell Douglas MD-80
4B - DTW-YMX-BRU, Sabena, Boeing 747 (though they used the DC-10-30 on many occasions and mixed up ORD, DTW. YYZ as tag ends with BOS and YMX)
4C - BRU-BEY MEA / Sabena codeshare, Boeing 707