FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

Toshbaf Mar 20, 2019 7:50 pm

NEW QUIZ!

Due to the small number of questions, please answer no more than one per day so others may answer some.

1. This answer was given from the previous round

11. Huntsville being the second stop is correct! Here's the sched...

EA 665: Chicago O'hare (ORD) 6:30p - 8:14p Huntsville (HSV) 8:44p - 9:10p Birmingham (BHM) 9:35p - 10:24p Mobile (MOB)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Electra PROPJET
Service classes: A/T
Meal service: Dinner ORD-HSV

Fast forward to early 1992. You are again in Birmingham, Alabama in the late afternoon and head to the airport for an evening departure to Chicago O'Hare. How can you get there with a one stop (no change of plane) in Huntsville? In fact, through passengers are allowed to stay on the plane. Airline and aircraft, please.

The rest are back to the early 1980's...

2. You are in Belgium traveling to Paris for a flight when your car breaks down in Lille, France. It's late 1985. You must get to Milan in time, Linate LIN being more convenient and preferred than the ghost town airport of Malpensa MXP.

Who flies a middle of the day flight from Lille Lesquin (LIL) to Linate (LIN)? It's a one stop flight. Name the airline, intermediate stop, and aircraft. ANSWERED

3. It's September 1982 and your trip in Berlin has taken longer than expected so train or car travel is not feasible. What airline has multiple daily flights so you can pick a convenient time for a non-stop from Tegel (TXL) to Munich Riem (MUC) and what aircraft is used? ANSWERED

4. It is November 1985 and a family member wants to fly on a flight for the experience. To save money, they fly one way and relatives drive them back home. Which airline and aircraft can they fly from San Antonio, Texas (SAT) to Austin Robert Mueller (AUS - since closed and demolished) leaving in the middle of the day? ANSWERED

5. You are ticketed on Eastern Airlines Miami to Lima in October, 1984 (MIA-LIM-SCL). What aircraft will the flight be operating? (Answer will be given if correct answer not answered within 3 attempts.) INCORRECT ANSWERS: 757, L1011 Tristar, 727 (answer revealed)

6. A rare multiple choice question.
All of the following are false, except
a. It is February 1984. TWA has service to Minneapolis MSP.
b. It is February 1984. PanAm has service to Salt Lake City on a JFK-MSP-SLC route.
c. It is February 1984. TriStar has service between LAX and SFO using 6 abreast seating on a BAe 146
d. It is February 1984. British Caledonian has LGW-Houston IAH service daily
e. It is February 1984. Alaska Airlines has SEA-LAS service
ANSWERED

7. It is February 1984. You are about to fly a TWA flight. What is the name of the frequent flyer program? How do you get credit for the flight. Hint: The wrong answer includes "you tell the travel agent your number when you buy the ticket". ANSWERED

Seat 2A Mar 20, 2019 10:26 pm

5. You are ticketed on Eastern Airlines Miami to Lima in October, 1984 (MIA-LIM-SCL). What aircraft will the flight be operating? (Answer will be given if correct answer not answered within 3 attempts.)
INCORRECT ANSWERS: 757, L1011 Tristar

As much as this route would seem suitable for a widebody, I don't recall Eastern ever sending its A300s down to South America. As such, let's go with a 727-200

Toshbaf Mar 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 30911683)
5. You are ticketed on Eastern Airlines Miami to Lima in October, 1984 (MIA-LIM-SCL). What aircraft will the flight be operating? (Answer will be given if correct answer not answered within 3 attempts.)
INCORRECT ANSWERS: 757, L1011 Tristar

As much as this route would seem suitable for a widebody, I don't recall Eastern ever sending its A300s down to South America. As such, let's go with a 727-200

Incorrect. Answer: none

Time to throw eggs at me!!! This is the only trick question of the bunch. In September 1984, the air treaty between Peru and the United States expired. Due to disagreements on a new treaty, the rights to fly were suspended. Eastern was shut out of Peru.

The MIA - LIM - SCL route was re-routed to MIA- PTY (Panama) - SCL operated by a L-1011.

WHBM Mar 21, 2019 6:47 am

Who flies a middle of the day flight from Lille Lesquin (LIL) to Linate (LIN)? It's a one stop flight. Name the airline, intermediate stop, and aircraft.
I'll guess an Air France F.28, operating via Strasbourg.

jrl767 Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30911296)
6. A rare multiple choice question.
b. It is February 1984. PanAm has service to Salt Lake City on a JFK-MSP-SLC route.
c. It is February 1984. TriStar has service between LAX and SFO using 6 abreast seating on a BAe 146
e. It is February 1984. Alaska Airlines has SEA-LAS service.

6- taking these in sequence —
(a) I’m quite certain that TW wasn’t in MSP until after they acquired Ozark in 1986
(b) this sounds more like Western
(c) we’ve mentioned TriStar a few times in this Quiz, but they started service in 1995
(e) I flew SEA-LAS on America West (and on to LAX) shortly after they inaugurated the route in 1983; I don’t recall AS entering that market until after some other west coast startups and expansions (Reno Air, Mark Air) threw their hats into the ring ~1994

which leaves (d) as the true statement

Toshbaf Mar 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 30912593)
I'll guess an Air France F.28, operating via Strasbourg.

Correct!

Transport Aérien Transrégional operated the Fokker F28-4000 on this route with an Air France flight number and livery, except for TAT near the nose. Some flights were LHR-LIL-SXB-LIN and some were LHR-LIL-SXB only. The LHR-LIL schedule was twice a day on weekdays only but later a Saturday morning SXB-LIL-LHR and Sunday evening LHR-LIL-SXB was added. With the Channel Tunnel, LIL service ended.

In those days, LIL didn't have any jetways and LIN either didn't have any or not many.

Toshbaf Mar 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/imag...s/viewpost.gif6. A rare multiple choice question.
e. It is February 1984. Alaska Airlines has SEA-LAS service.

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30913889)

6- taking these in sequence —
(a) I’m quite certain that TW wasn’t in MSP until after they acquired Ozark in 1986
(b) this sounds more like Western
(c) we’ve mentioned TriStar a few times in this Quiz, but they started service in 1995
(e) I flew SEA-LAS on America West (and on to LAX) shortly after they inaugurated the route in 1983; I don’t recall AS entering that market until after some other west coast startups and expansions (Reno Air, Mark Air) threw their hats into the ring ~1994

which leaves (d) as the true statement

Correct! "D" is the only true statement.

When airline deregulation took place in the late 1970's, no airline had such comprehensive national coverage like today. TWA didn't serve SEA but quickly remedied that. MSP also wasn't served until a few years later.

Pan Am did have a SLC-MSP-JFK flight once a day but it was in the late 1980's. An odd tag end because the distance between Salt Lake City and Minneapolis is possibly 1,000 miles apart. I presume the plane was half full unless it could fill it with SLC-MSP passengers.

TriStar Airlines was in the mid 1990's but did fly SFO-LAX a few times a day.

By 1980, Alaska Airlines only flew as far south as San Francisco, with the exception of a Fairbanks - Anchorage - Seattle - Dallas DFW - Houston IAH interchange with Braniff. In the early 1980's it added LAX. Las Vegas didn't come until later.

British Caledonian flew DC-10-30's to IAH during this era. One plane was G-MULL, which was hit by a missile in Afghanistan before being sold to BR. G-MULL occasionally flew to IAH.

Toshbaf Mar 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Good progress, remaining questions:

Due to the small number of questions, please answer no more than one per day so others may answer some.

1. This answer was given from the previous round

Huntsville being the second stop is correct! Here's the sched...

EA 665: Chicago O'hare (ORD) 6:30p - 8:14p Huntsville (HSV) 8:44p - 9:10p Birmingham (BHM) 9:35p - 10:24p Mobile (MOB)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Electra PROPJET
Service classes: A/T
Meal service: Dinner ORD-HSV

Fast forward to early 1992. You are again in Birmingham, Alabama in the late afternoon and head to the airport for an evening departure to Chicago O'Hare. How can you get there with a one stop (no change of plane) in Huntsville? In fact, through passengers are allowed to stay on the plane. Airline and aircraft, please.

The rest are back to the early 1980's...

3. It's September 1982 and your trip in Berlin has taken longer than expected so train or car travel is not feasible. What airline has multiple daily flights so you can pick a convenient time for a non-stop from Tegel (TXL) to Munich Riem (MUC) and what aircraft is used?

7. It is February 1984. You are about to fly a TWA flight. What is the name of the frequent flyer program? How do you get credit for the flight. Hint: The wrong answer includes "you tell the travel agent your number when you buy the ticket".

WHBM Mar 22, 2019 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30915372)
3. It's September 1982 and your trip in Berlin has taken longer than expected so train or car travel is not feasible. What airline has multiple daily flights so you can pick a convenient time for a non-stop from Tegel (TXL) to Munich Riem (MUC) and what aircraft is used?.

This would be one of the Berlin Corridor flights, operated by UK and US airlines. From the 1950s to the 1970s both Pan Am and BEA/BA were competitive on all the main routes, but in the mid-1970s there was an agreement, and they concentrated on different points. I think Pan Am got Munich. And by 1982 the longstanding 727 operation was likely changed over to some rather ramshackle 737s, a number ex-Air Florida with only partially repainted liveries, not really the best of images for Pan Am at all. You could see them at weekends at places like Palma, where they operated holiday flights down from Berlin.

jrl767 Mar 22, 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30915372)
7. It is February 1984. You are about to fly a TWA flight. What is the name of the frequent flyer program? How do you get credit for the flight. Hint: The wrong answer includes "you tell the travel agent your number when you buy the ticket".

7- “FFB” stood for “Frequent Flight Bonus” ... in the “welcome package” you got in the mail after enrollment, there were several sheets of adhesive stickers, maybe half an inch high and an inch long, with your name and account number printed on them; you had to peel off a sticker and place it in the lower right corner of the flight coupon (page of a paper ticket) that the gate agent took when you boarded the flight

if somehow the system didn’t work, or if you didn’t have stickers with you when your travel plans changed mid-trip to involve a TW flight, you could make a photocopy of the passenger coupon (your copy of the entire ticket, showing all segments), put a sticker on it, and mail it to the FFB Customer Service office for review and retroactive credit

in the summer of 1984 my sister flew DCA-JFK-MXP and return; just for fun I gave her a nearly-empty sheet of stickers, and she dutifully put them on the flight coupons ... DCA-JFK flight was delayed by thunderstorms to where she misconnected, and TW OP-UPd her to “Royal Ambassador” F on the upper deck of a 747 the next evening ... not only did all four flights credit to my account, the bonus miles for F also showed up

WHBM Mar 22, 2019 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30915354)
British Caledonian flew DC-10-30's to IAH during this era. One plane was G-MULL, which was hit by a missile in Afghanistan before being sold to BR. G-MULL occasionally flew to IAH.

This aircraft was actually new to Ariana Afghanistan, probably supported by some form of US foreign aid, and ran once or twice a week to Frankfurt and London. The year after it was delivered the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan took place, and it's European flights were then diverted to Moscow, Prague and East Berlin. It didn't get a lot of use and was sold with low hours to British Caledonian for a cheap price, although it apparently needed months of work to bring it back up to standard. However, it then lasted with B Cal, and later BA, right to the end of their DC-10 fleet, got converted to a freighter, and was finally scrapped at Sanford FL just a few years ago after 35 years of life.

Houston was a prime B Cal business route, and from London Gatwick their other routes to Lagos, Nigeria, and several points in Saudi Arabia, plus their good friends at Dan-Air who had the route to Aberdeen, made it quite an oil industry connector from the US, both for passengers and urgent cargo. Was said that Houston made more profit than all the rest of the B Cal routes added together.

jlemon Mar 22, 2019 11:46 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 30917246)

Houston was a prime B Cal business route, and from London Gatwick their other routes to Lagos, Nigeria, and several points in Saudi Arabia, plus their good friends at Dan-Air who had the route to Aberdeen, made it quite an oil industry connector from the US, both for passengers and urgent cargo. Was said that Houston made more profit than all the rest of the B Cal routes added together.

Although I never had the opportunity to fly with B Cal, I fondly remember seeing their aircraft at Houston Intercontinental back when IAH was still a relatively small airport compared to what it is today. There were only two terminals and two runways at that time. Our family was still living in the Clear Lake area near Houston and I was able to take advantage of a promotional fare offered by Houston Metro for a round trip flight on a Twin Otter from the Clear Lake City STOLport (CLC) to IAH and back - just to visit Intercontinental for the day.

Besides the DC-10-30, I believe B Cal initially operated Boeing 707 service between Houston and London Gatwick and also operated Boeing 747-100 service at one point as well on the route:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Brit...%2BAwKaSIJBlTV

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Brit...lpj%2BgB3%2BAw

Note the Aero Commander parked in the foreground next to the B Cal 747 as well as the Braniff International B727-200 aircraft in the background.

WHBM Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 30917534)
service between Houston and London Gatwick and also operated Boeing 747-100 service at one point as well on the route:

That's actually quite a rare photo of the 747. Might say that B Cal never operated the -100 version of the 747, but this one was just leased from Aer Lingus for three months at that time. The tailfin has been painted for B Cal but the fuselage striping doesn't have their blue and yellow colours, and is just a plain overpainting of the Aer Lingus green with blue. The aircraft had previously been leased to British Airways, again with a BA tailfin colours but the same blue single stripe, so an oddball livery there as well.

jlemon Mar 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 30917707)
That's actually quite a rare photo of the 747. Might say that B Cal never operated the -100 version of the 747, but this one was just leased from Aer Lingus for three months at that time. The tailfin has been painted for B Cal but the fuselage striping doesn't have their blue and yellow colours, and is just a plain overpainting of the Aer Lingus green with blue. The aircraft had previously been leased to British Airways, again with a BA tailfin colours but the same blue single stripe, so an oddball livery there as well.

Interesting....and I had not noticed the difference when compared with the standard B Cal livery until you mentioned this.

Here's another photo from Houston Intercontinental back in the old days. Houston Metro had changed its name to Metro Airlines by this time in order to reflect its growing regional route system in Texas and Louisiana. Metro would go on to initiate American Eagle code share service for AA with Convair 580 aircraft, many of which I believe were previously operated by the original Frontier Airlines. And I also flew with the airline seen in the background of this photo as well as with their predecessor...

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Texa...G2KiBmITJCJbSu

Houston Intercontinental had a special STOL landing area at this time used by Metro which was actually located on one of the taxiways at IAH.

KT550 Mar 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Here are some pre-delivery photos of a Houston Metro Twin Otter.
Scroll down for larger pictures.

https://www.twinotterworld.com/msn-168