FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

KT550 Mar 7, 2019 3:56 am

My first 747 trip was British Airways on a -100

747-100
Nov 1982, British Airways, G-AWNO, LHR-MIA

First flights on other variants are:

747SP
Sep 2004, Iran Air, EP-IAB, CGN-CGN
Never managed a proper scheduled trip on the SP; this was just a sightseeing trip.
It was a full flight with passengers from all over Europe and the U.S.A.

747-200
Sep 1985, Kuwait Airways, 9K-ADB, LHR-JFK
747-200 Combi, May 1986, British Airways, G-BLVF, LHR-YMX

747-300
Oct 1988, Cathay Pacific, VR-HIK, HKG-BAH-LGW

747-400
Mar 1992, South African Airways, ZS-SAV, LHR-JNB
747-400 Combi, Nov 2018, KLM, PH-BFS, AMS-ICN

747-800
Feb 2015, Lufthansa, D-ABYF, FRA-IAD

Shortest trip was YVR-SEA at 27 minutes on a British Airways 747-200 which continued to LHR.
Probably no local traffic on that sector though.

Currently flown the 747 with 21 different airlines.

KT

WHBM Mar 7, 2019 10:34 am

747 :

I think my first one was TWA, LAX to London in 1977. I'd gone in several DC-10s previously, including the outward leg of this trip.

I've seen inside a fair number since, and am actually booked on one in a month's time. Four separate ones once took me round the world, including ny only trip in a -300 (Qantas, Brisbane to Singapore). Long may the Queen Of The Skies continue.

Shortest trip was YVR-SEA at 27 minutes
My shortest one possibly can't be beaten, it was London Stansted to London Heathrow on BA, which had been diverted due to a fuellers strike at Heathrow.

jrl767 Mar 7, 2019 11:34 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 30858914)
747 : ... My shortest one possibly can't be beaten, it was London Stansted to London Heathrow on BA, which had been diverted due to a fuellers strike at Heathrow.

sorry, Bill, I get to play the Boeing Flight Test card here :D

STN-LHR is 41 miles

we hung a P&W JT9D-7R4 engine (which was going to power the 767) in the #2 position on RA001, and took the jet out to Glasgow MT for three weeks of testing (Oct 1980) ... I logged three takeoff-thrust-lapse-rate test conditions (start #2 last, taxi out, set throttles, release brakes, V1, Vr, V2, gear up, flaps as necessary, maintain runway heading, don't touch the #2 throttle) where the Test Director called "Condition Off" at three minutes and we made an immediate 180 back to the runway ... 200 knots for maybe 8 minutes of flight time was around 28 miles each

Seat 2A Mar 7, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30856936)
22. What fun! You’ve just received a call from jlemon to join him and three friends on a sailing trip from Aruba to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. From your home in Wilmington, Delaware you could fly out of either New York or Washington, DC as both airports are essentially equidistant from your home and accessible by train. You settle for a well timed departure out of JFK aboard a new airline that offers affordable 1 stop flights each Saturday and Sunday to Aruba. Breakfast and lunch will be served enroute. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.
One of its aircraft was operated in the livery of a former US airline that provided all-First Class service

Another stab at it... Suncoast Airlines, Boeing 727-100, JFK-MIA-AUA

Correct!
^ Here's the schedule:

Suncoast Airlines WS 302 New York (JFK) 845a-1115a B Miami (MIA) 1200n-230p L Aruba (AUA) 727-100 Sa Su only

Seat 2A Mar 7, 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30857170)
23. Is this your lucky trip or what? A quick review of the schedules between St. Thomas and Washington Dulles has revealed a convenient afternoon 1-stop direct flight that ticks all the boxes: It’s more affordable than the traditional airlines flying the route, it offers First Class service and a dinner is served enroute. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon and where will you stop along the way?

Okay, US carrier with a stop in the Caribbean ... Caribair and Trans Caribbean were long gone, but as I recall they both hubbed at San Juan (SJU), which seems like it would be a more logical stop than St Croix (STX)

My next thought was that the comment about “more affordable than the traditional airlines” most likely pointed to a post-deregulation carrier, since most if not all the former supplementals that tried their hand at scheduled service (World, Arrow, et al) ran single-class jets ... but since this was about the time that Pan Am was trying to re-reinvent itself; was this flight perchance a PA 72S that then continued IAD-JFK?

You're on the right track, J - The airline was indeed a post-deregulation carrier, but it was not the new Pan Am. Additionally, the aircraft of record was not a 727 variant and the enroute stop was neither SJU or STX. Rather, it was located in the Leeward Islands. Please, carry on!

Please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

Seat 2A Mar 7, 2019 1:07 pm

Great work, gang! Just one left!

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

21. It’s a great life working as a bartender for the rich and famous in Vail, Colorado. Now that the season is over, it’s time to relocate to Las Vegas and your summer job bartending at the MGM Grand. Thankfully the transition is made easier this year with the addition of a new once weekly 1-stop direct flight between Vail’s Eagle County Regional Airport and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop if you please.
A N S W E R E D

22. What fun! You’ve just received a call from jlemon to join him and three friends on a sailing trip from Aruba to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. From your home in Wilmington, Delaware you could fly out of either New York or Washington, DC as both airports are essentially equidistant from your home and accessible by train. You settle for a well timed departure out of JFK aboard a new airline that offers affordable 1 stop flights each Saturday and Sunday to Aruba. Breakfast and lunch will be served enroute. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.
A N S W E R E D

23. Is this your lucky trip or what? A quick review of the schedules between St. Thomas and Washington Dulles has revealed a convenient afternoon 1-stop direct flight that ticks all the boxes: It’s more affordable than the traditional airlines flying the route, it offers First Class service and a dinner is served enroute. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon and where will you stop along the way?
The aircraft was not a 727 and the enroute stop was in the Leeward Islands

KT550 Mar 7, 2019 1:44 pm

What's your shortest scheduled service flight in a jet?

jrl767's and WHBM's shortest flights in a 747 are interesting but what is your shortest trip on a proper scheduled service, by jet airliner.
Short trips by piston/turboprop airliners are quite common, so jets only please!

I record the actual flying time, so offer 11 minutes for the 39 miles between Vancouver (YVR) and Victoria (YYJ) on 03-Jun-86.
Pacific Western Boeing 737-275, C-GEPW (PW681)

The return trip was 14 minutes.

jrl767 Mar 7, 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by KT550 (Post 30859625)
jrl767's and WHBM's shortest flights in a 747 are interesting but what is your shortest trip on a proper scheduled service, by jet airliner.
Short trips by piston/turboprop airliners are quite common, so jets only please!

I record the actual flying time, so offer 11 minutes for the 39 miles between Vancouver (YVR) and Victoria (YYJ) on 03-Jun-86.
Pacific Western Boeing 737-275, C-GEPW (PW681)

The return trip was 14 minutes.

AS64, the Alaska Airlines milk run down the Inside Passage, has a 31-mile leg between Petersburg (PSG) and Wrangell (WRG) ... the timetable has it scheduled at 20 minutes, although per FlightAware it's recently taken anywhere from 16 to 40 (and cancelled a couple times, most likely due to weather) ... I've taken it twice, in brilliantly clear conditions; these pix are from the first trip -- 4 Aug 2017, N767AS

climbout from PSG, timestamp is 1504
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fc4b4e2b5c.jpg

on short final to WRG, timestamp is 1512
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8680cb819a.jpg

wrp96 Mar 7, 2019 4:47 pm

First flight: ANC-SEA Jan 29, 1978 Probably an AS 727, but I was only 3 weeks old so don't quote me on that.

First 747 flight that I remember July 1994 KLM JFK-AMS. Pitty the rest of the passengers in the back of the plane surrounded by excited teenagers singing their way to Europe.

Shortest jet flight, I've been on the Alaska milk runs several times so some of those hops or the old LIT-MEM on Northwest that took just as long to taxi to/from the runways as it did to fly it seemed.

Track Mar 7, 2019 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 30858914)
747 :

My shortest one possibly can't be beaten, it was London Stansted to London Heathrow on BA, which had been diverted due to a fuellers strike at Heathrow.

In March, 1996, I flew on a BA 747 scheduled for JFK-Gatwick. Because of congestion (weather?) at Gatwick, we were diverted to Heathrow to refuel and then flew to Gatwick (26 miles). And in July, 1977, I was on a Hughes Air West DC-9 (model?) scheduled Las Vegas-Oakland-San Francisco, with an 11-miles last segment.
My first 747 flight was in December, 1971, on KLM from Amsterdam to JFK.

Toshbaf Mar 7, 2019 8:56 pm

Shortest jet flight for me on a jet was PHL-JFK 94 miles.
Shortest 747 flight for me was a 747SP BRU-AMS 98 miles. Both were where I was connecting.

I was aboard a 747SP only twice. Both times, I tried to inhale deeply to enjoy the experience.

YVR Cockroach Mar 7, 2019 9:13 pm

My shortest jet flight, back to when I can verify dates, is on a US DC-9 in 1990. 31 miles ITH-ELM

Seat 2A Mar 7, 2019 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by KT550 (Post 30859625)

I once flew SFO-OAK aboard an Alaska Airlines MD-80. Flight distance is listed at 11 miles. We covered it in 9 minutes.

Seat 2A Mar 7, 2019 10:36 pm

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6b2825e20b.jpg
Taalkhunaxhkʼu Shaa as seen while flying JNU-PSG with jrl767 last November aboard N767AS

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30859690)
AS64, the Alaska Airlines milk run down the Inside Passage, has a 31-mile leg between Petersburg (PSG) and Wrangell (WRG) ... the timetable has it scheduled at 20 minutes, although per FlightAware it's recently taken anywhere from 16 to 40 (and cancelled a couple times, most likely due to weather) ... I've taken it twice, in brilliantly clear conditions; these pix are from the first trip -- 4 Aug 2017, N767AS

jrl767 Mar 7, 2019 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 30861104)
... while flying JNU-PSG with jrl767 last November aboard N767AS

yep, iirc you were in your namesake seat while Mrs767 and I occupied 1DF