Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
Hard to believe that was over 50 years ago as we approach the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing! I went to high school with the astronaut's kids. Wally Schirra Jr. as well as Barbara Lovell (we dated) were friends …
Was she as portrayed in the Apollo 13 movie ? Having gone to a classic British all boys' school, such opportunities were more limited, although in the class under us was May (always surnames only), who later went to Oxford and then he married a girl, who one day became … the UK Prime Minister. Meanwhile, looking for an Apollo 11 link, my mother came from a very rural small town where a teenage schooldays near-neighbour and apparent regular date was same-age Clarke (surnames again), much later better known as Arthur C Clarke, sci-fi space travel writer par excellence, 1940s fantasiser of GPS satellites, scriptwriter of the "2001" movie, and in the CBS coverage of the moon landing 50 years ago held things down jointly with Walter Cronkite. Maybe you recall him from there.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 19, 2019 at 4:58 am
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
18. (1982) Identify the only two U.S. airlines that in 1982 operated scheduled flights aboard their wide-bodied jets in an all-economy class configuration. Additionally, identify the type of wide-body each airline flew.

World Airways, McDonnell Douglas DC-10

Metro International, Boeing 747
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Was she as portrayed in the Apollo 13 movie ? Having gone to a classic British all boys' school, such opportunities were more limited, although in the class under us was May (always surnames only), who later went to Oxford and then he married a girl, who one day became … the UK Prime Minister. Meanwhile, looking for an Apollo 11 link, my mother came from a very rural small town where a teenage schooldays near-neighbour and apparent regular date was same-age Clarke (surnames again), much later better known as Arthur C Clarke, sci-fi space travel writer par excellence, 1940s fantasiser of GPS satellites, scriptwriter of the "2001" movie, and in the CBS coverage of the moon landing 50 years ago held things down jointly with Walter Cronkite. Maybe you recall him from there.
Well, it's been so long since I watched that movie, I do not recall whether Barbara is portrayed in the film! I can say her Dad was one heck of a great guy back then and relished a good joke. Jim also loved to give Frank Borman a hard time. Mr. Lovell had graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis and was a former U.S. Navy fighter pilot while Mr. Borman had graduated from West Point (and later Caltech) and was a former U.S. Air Force fighter pilot. Both flew aboard Apollo 8 (along with Bill Anders) which was the first mission to actually go into orbit around the moon. Mr. Anders is the person who shot the photo of earth rising over the moon (known as "Earthrise"). The Apollo 8 crew also did a live broadcast while in orbit around the moon on Christmas Eve reading from Genesis which was very moving and truly memorable. On the way back to earth, Jim made an erroneous entry on the keypad of the nav system and Apollo capsule computer then thought it was back on the launch pad at KSC and began to reorient systems. Borman got a bit excited but Lovell told him not to worry about it and rectified the error. Borman, of course, subsequently left the space program and eventually wound up as CEO of Eastern Air Lines in 1975. Meantime, Barbara, yours truly and several other astronaut's kids ended up attending the University of Texas at Austin together after graduating from Clear Creek High School in League City, Texas.

And I certainly remember Arthur C. Clarke! The gentleman was a true visionary with regard to space activities. Who can forget "2001: A Space Odyssey" directed by Stanley Kubrick which I believe was based on one of Mr. Clarke's short stories. As for Walter Cronkite, I met and talked with him a bit at the University of Texas at Austin when he was there to dedicate the then-new UT School of Communications complex. A very nice gentleman as well who also got to speak with my Dad that day concerning the space program after I told Mr. Cronkite that Dad was involved with the space program in Houston. Walter was a real space buff, of course.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 19, 2019 at 9:10 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
8. (1982) The Canadian rock band Rush is playing next weekend in Calgary and youre excited to have scored two fourth row tickets to the concert. Although there are no nonstop flights between your home airport in Portland, Oregon and Calgary, you figure youll fly up to Vancouver and connect to Calgary from there. Alas, you cant find anything but First Class seats between YVR and YYC. No way, man thats too much money. Hmm whats this? Well how bout that?! Theres a daily three stop direct flight between Portland and Calgary that has two seats available at a fairly reasonable fare. Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops.

Hmmmm.....sounds like we may have an indirect routing here (but one I would have been happy to fly with a window seat ahead of the wing). So let's go with Western operating a B737-200 in all Y config on a routing of Portland-San Francisco-Salt Lake City-Great Falls-Calgary.

Now we're getting somewhere! The airline was indeed Western but the aircraft was not a 737-200 and the flight did not route through either SFO, SLC or GTF. So that means it must've routed through....
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:53 am

A nice little tribute to the inventor of the flight recorder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-49012771
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
9. (1983) Per the 1983 OAG I referenced for these questions, what is Aspen Airways longest flight? Identify the city pair and the aircraft type operated, please.

I remember when Aspen Airways began serving Lake Tahoe (TVL) with nonstop Convair 580 flights to Burbank, San Francisco and San Jose being operated in the fall of 1979. Air California and PSA had finally ceased L-188 Electra service into TVL by that time and it really was an end of an era with regard to scheduled service being flown with the iconic four engine Lockheed turboprop in California.

However, by 1983 I believe Aspen was no longer serving Lake Tahoe but had expanded service from its DEN hub to include flights to the east. So if you are if referring to a nonstop flight, let's go with CV-580 service between Denver and Sioux City. And if you are talking about a direct flight, my answer would then be Denver - Sioux City - Waterloo once again with the 580.

Spot on, JL. Aspen it was. Alas, I don't have my source handy for full schedules in both directions but here's the southbound flights into Denver:

AP 701 Sioux City (SUX) 830a-920a Denver (DEN) Convair 580 Daily
AP 709 Sioux City (SUX) 501p-600p Denver (DEN) Convair 580 Daily
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
18. (1982) Identify the only two U.S. airlines that in 1982 operated scheduled flights aboard their wide-bodied jets in an all-economy class configuration. Additionally, identify the type of wide-body each airline flew.

World Airways, McDonnell Douglas DC-10
Metro International, Boeing 747

World as has been mentioned earlier is correct. Metro International... no. Metro International was a charter airline set up by Flying Tigers and so far as I know never operated scheduled flights. The airline we're looking for operated a DC-10. Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 19, 2019 at 11:12 am
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
The entry CVR in the OAG was certainly used for the Cv580, so quite reasonable to assume so. Whether it was actually the last scheduled service in the USA by a traditional large mainstream piston aircraft, though, I'm not really at Liberty to say.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
23. (1983) Jets are wonderful inventions, but you’ve fond memories of your many flights aboard propeller driven aircraft such as the DC-6, Lockheed Electra and Vickers Viscount. You especially miss the large windows on airplanes like the Viscount, Convair 580 and Electra. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that in 1983 it’s still possible to fly all the way from Philadelphia to Chicago aboard a piston engine propliner from the 1950s. The flight doesn’t operate nonstop of course – two enroute stops in Ohio are made along the way – but hey, so much the better as you’ll have that much more time to enjoy the experience enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
Had I known then what I know now (both about the existence of a domestic Convair operation through Ohio and the eventual existence of a virtual community of Old Timer Airline/Airliner Quiz and Discussion enthusiasts), I would have most certainly figured out a way to get on at least one leg of that flight en route to or from my Air Force Reserve tour at Wright-Patterson AFB that year

I’m almost certain it didn’t serve either Dayton or Cincinnati, because I would have probably noticed it when perusing OAGs in preparation for making travel arrangements ... therefore I will guess that the flight stopped in smaller cities in northern Ohio ... how about Youngstown (YNG) and Toledo (TOL)

Good on ya, J ^ Sorry about the misinformation provided earlier. The flight did indeed stop at Toledo, however it did not stop at Youngstown. Still, you are very close now. All we need to move on now is the airline and that other stop. Good Luck!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I certainly hope the situation has improved and that all is well with your family, Seat 2A!
Thank you. A family member (brother-in-law) who's had a chronic illness has taken a turn for the worse. I wanted to visit him now in person rather than attend his imminent funeral.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

5. (1958) It’s autumn of 1958 and you’re excited to be making your first trans-continental trip. Your flight will depart from Hartford’s Bradley International Airport and make three stops enroute to your destination at Oakland International Airport, conveniently located just four miles from your uncle’s house in San Leandro. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops you’ll make.
Please see Post 15927

8. (1982) The Canadian rock band Rush is playing next weekend in Calgary and you’re excited to have scored two fourth row tickets to the concert. Although there are no nonstop flights between your home airport in Portland, Oregon and Calgary, you figure you’ll fly up to Vancouver and connect to Calgary from there. Alas, you can’t find anything but First Class seats between YVR and YYC. No way, man… that’s too much money. Hmm… what’s this? Well how ‘bout that?! There’s a daily three stop direct flight between Portland and Calgary that has two seats available at a fairly reasonable fare. Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

10. (1987) You’ve got business in Dallas, Texas and because you successfully negotiated a multi-million dollar contract for the company last month, the boss has opted to reward you with – amongst other things – a First Class ticket from London to Dallas and back. The offer is somewhat bittersweet in that you’ve always wanted to fly in First Class aboard a 747 and since Braniff no longer operates its bright orange 747s on this route, you’re stuck with a DC-10 via the other airline(s) that fly LGW to DFW. Not so fast says the company travel agent. There is one airline that operates a single once weekly 747 between LGW and DFW. First Class is available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline you’ll be flying, please.

11. (1988) You’ve just received an invitation from an old business partner to join him and a couple of associates for a weekend of golf and networking at Las Vegas’ Showboat Country Club. Well… why the heck not?! Especially since a hurricane is bearing down on the Florida Keys and the weather in Miami projects to be less than desirable over the next few days. A quick check of the schedules indicates that the MIA-LAS market is served via a single direct one stop flight that’ll get you into Las Vegas in the early afternoon, just in time for a nine hole warm up round followed by a round of cocktails and dinner. You quickly book a First Class seat and call your partner back to relay your arrival time. Please identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop.

12. (1961) You’ve been wanting to take your wife on vacation to Portugal for years. Now that a new two-stop direct jet flight has become available between Miami and Lisbon, what’s stopping you? Why, nothing, Senhor! Please identify the airline, the two enroute stops and of course the aircraft type to be flown.

14. (1983) You’ve just received a call from an old college buddy to see if you and your better half would care to join him and his girlfriend on a short three-night pleasure cruise to Miami departing Montego Bay, Jamaica this coming Saturday night. Well, sure! Let’s check the schedules. Hmm… There are no nonstops from Logan down to Montego Bay, but one airline offers a single daily direct flight that makes two enroute stops. Identify all the usual qualifiers, please.

16. (1988) It’s not often that business calls for you to travel from your home office outside Atlanta, Georgia to the far-flung regional office in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. When it did recently, you were pleased to discover a two-stop direct flight from Atlanta that would put you into Sioux Falls early in the afternoon. You quickly book it and make a note to pack a sandwich since no meals will be offered enroute. Name the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft type you’ll be flying.
Please see Post 15978

A N S W E R E D

20. (1983) You need to fly from Baton Rouge, Louisiana up to Virginia next week. Since your appointment is out near Dulles, IAD will be your airport of choice. Surely this is gonna involve a connection somewhere along the way. What’s that old saying… “When I die and go to heaven, I’ll probably have to connect in Atlanta”. Dulles is hardly heavenly, but you look skyward and say a small prayer upon discovering that there’s a three stop direct flight that departs Baton Rouge every morning at 7:43am. Identify the airline, the three enroute stops and the aircraft type.
See Post 15925

21. (1988) You need to fly from Seattle to New York, but since your brother lives in Flushing Meadows, the best airport for you to fly into is New York’s LaGuardia. Unfortunately there are no nonstops between Seattle and LGA. In fact, all of the airlines – with one exception – serve either JFK or EWR with either nonstop or direct flights. The one exception that serves LGA makes two stops enroute. Hmm… Well, at least you won’t be faced with any long layovers or potentially missed flights. Plus, the flight offers a couple of snacks enroute. Book it, Danno! Airline, stops and aircraft please!

22. (1982) In 1982, only one airline operated a turboprop nonstop from the U.S. mainland to the far reaches (over 1000 miles from the U.S. mainland) of the West Indies. The flight operated twice weekly and continued on to another island where it overnighted before returning to the U.S. the next day. Identify the airline, the U.S. gateway airport, the two destination airports s and the aircraft type.

23. (1983) Jets are wonderful inventions, but you’ve fond memories of your many flights aboard propeller driven aircraft such as the DC-6, Lockheed Electra and Vickers Viscount. You especially miss the large windows on airplanes like the Viscount, Convair 580 and Electra. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that in 1983 it’s still possible to fly all the way from Philadelphia to Chicago aboard a piston engine propliner from the 1950s. The flight doesn’t operate nonstop of course – two enroute stops in Ohio are made – but hey, so much the better as you’ll have that much more time to enjoy the experience enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

25. (1988) What’s this? You’re driving to work through the Toronto suburbs when you spy a billboard touting Toronto’s only direct (one-stop) service to the Virgin Islands – specifically St. Thomas. Hmm... You quickly call your wife. What do you think, honey? Wanna go to the Virgin Islands next month? Right on! You quickly book a pair of seats while your wife works on the hotels. Please identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop, eh!

28. (1983) In the old days, if you wanted to fly from most anywhere in Canada to most anywhere in Texas, you had to make a connection in Chicago, Denver or New York. Since deregulation however, both nonstop and direct service is available from a variety of Canadian cities to either Dallas or Houston. Winnipeg is also a beneficiary of these new services, albeit via a daily two-stop direct flight to Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport. At least dinner and a snack are offered along the way. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

30. (1988) You need to fly from Nassau in the Bahamas up to Hartford, Connecticut. To your surprise, the market is served by a single once daily direct flight that makes just one stop along the way. You quickly book yourself a First Class seat. Which airline will you be flying with? And while we’re at it, what’s the enroute stop and what type of aircraft will you be flying upon?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 20, 2019 at 1:21 am
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:02 pm

16. (1988) It’s not often that business calls for you to travel from your home office outside Atlanta, Georgia to the far-flung regional office in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. When it did recently, you were pleased to discover a two-stop direct flight from Atlanta that would put you into Sioux Falls early in the afternoon. You quickly book it and make a note to pack a sandwich since no meals will be offered enroute. Name the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft type you’ll be flying.
Can I guess that's linking the two halves of Republic ? Say a DC-9 operating Atlanta-Memphis-Minneapolis-Sioux Falls.

My only Republic flight was a DC-9 Toronto to Detroit. That didn't have any catering either !
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

8. (1982) The Canadian rock band Rush is playing next weekend in Calgary and you’re excited to have scored two fourth row tickets to the concert. Although there are no nonstop flights between your home airport in Portland, Oregon and Calgary, you figure you’ll fly up to Vancouver and connect to Calgary from there. Alas, you can’t find anything but First Class seats between YVR and YYC. No way, man… that’s too much money. Hmm… what’s this? Well how ‘bout that?! There’s a daily three stop direct flight between Portland and Calgary that has two seats available at a fairly reasonable fare. Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops.
Please see Post 15964

8. Well then.......it was "The Only Way To Fly" but the service wasn't flown a 73S operating PDX-SFO-SLC-GTF-YYC.....

Guess we better upgrade to first class on board a Western B727-200 with a "western U.S. grand tour" routing of Portland - Los Angeles - Phoenix - Denver - Calgary. And who was the opening act for "Rush"?

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 19, 2019 at 12:49 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, I believe Metro International did indeed briefly operate scheduled 747 services. The July 1, 1983 OAG Worldwide edition lists three round trip flights a week operated New York JFK - Brussels - Tel Aviv plus a weekly JFK - BRU round trip by this division of Flying Tigers.

What I am not sure about was whether their 747 aircraft were operated in all coach configuration. I do know their two letter code was FT thus perhaps reflecting their corporate all-cargo airline parent.

I also believe we had a quiz question concerning this Metro International service about a hundred years ago here.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 19, 2019 at 1:18 pm Reason: added reference to ancient history
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
23- how about Akron/Canton (CAK) for the first stop on this mystery airline's Convair 440 operation

btw Question 28 has been answered -- see Post #15894

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 19, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.