Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
8. (1982) The Canadian rock band Rush is playing next weekend in Calgary and you’re excited to have scored two fourth row tickets to the concert. Although there are no nonstop flights between your home airport in Portland, Oregon and Calgary, you figure you’ll fly up to Vancouver and connect to Calgary from there. Alas, you can’t find anything but First Class seats between YVR and YYC. No way, man… that’s too much money. Hmm… what’s this? Well how ‘bout that?! There’s a daily three stop direct flight between Portland and Calgary that has two seats available at a fairly reasonable fare. Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops.

How about Cascade, operating a Beech 99 with stops in Yakima (YKM), Walla Walla (ALW) (their primary maintenance base), and Kalispell (FCA)

Another excellent guess, J ^ It is not Cascade, however. Admittedly, the routing is a bit odd as none of it is within the Pacific Northwest. It does show up in the OAG schedules (not itineraries) between Portland and Calgary as a three stop direct flight however. Armed with this additional information, I see you solving this shortly.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
23. (1983) Jets are wonderful inventions, but you’ve fond memories of your many flights aboard propeller driven aircraft such as the DC-6, Lockheed Electra and Vickers Viscount. You especially miss the large windows on airplanes like the Viscount, Convair 580 and Electra. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that in 1983 it’s still possible to fly all the way from Philadelphia to Chicago aboard a turboprop from the 1950s. The flight doesn’t operate nonstop of course – two enroute stops are made – but hey, so much the better as you’ll have that much more time to enjoy the experience enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Are you sure it's a turboprop and not, even better, a piston aircraft
Excellent point, Mr. M! So I went and checked and - lo and behold - that "CVR" designation I saw in the OAG - upon further investigation of the airline in question - was not a turboprop 580 but rather a piston engine 440. I had thought by 1983 we'd seen the last of the 440s, but NO!

So, thank you for the clarification, and my sincere apologies to jrl767 who never had a fighting chance on this one as it was incorrectly presented. Allow me to resubmit the question please...

23. (1983) Jets are wonderful inventions, but you’ve fond memories of your many flights aboard propeller driven aircraft such as the DC-6, Lockheed Electra and Vickers Viscount. You especially miss the large windows on airplanes like the Viscount, Convair 580 and Electra. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that in 1983 it’s still possible to fly all the way from Philadelphia to Chicago aboard a piston engine propliner from the 1950s. The flight doesn’t operate nonstop of course – two enroute stops in Ohio are made – but hey, so much the better as you’ll have that much more time to enjoy the experience enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 17, 2019 at 11:34 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
13. (1982) Back in 1982, passengers desiring nonstop jet flights between Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport and San Antonio had a choice of three airlines. One of them was of course Southwest. Please identify the other two airlines and the aircraft type each operated on this route.

Already answered correctly: Ozark, McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30

New answer: Continental, McDonnell Douglas DC-9-10

Close enough, Mr. T! ^ Per the schedule I reference, the flight is marketed under airline code "OD", which is Emerald Air. For a brief time in the mid-1980s, Emerald Air operated a connecting jet shuttle service on behalf of Continental Airlines between IAH and HOU, which was called the 'Houston Proud Express.' Unlike the Pan Am operations marketed flights in question 17 in which Pan Am's livery was never used on Emerald's aircraft, Emerald did paint its DC-9-10s in Continental's Saul Bass "meatball" livery, complete with "Houston Proud Express" titles. See the link below for a picture.

Proud Bird Express DC-9-10
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
typo? Proud BIRD is the name of a restaurant that used to operate near the runways at LAX as was set to reopen a few years ago.

Or "Proud Bird with the Golden Tail", which was Continental Airlines
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:56 pm
Suspended

18. (1982) Identify the only two U.S. airlines that in 1982 operated scheduled flights aboard their wide-bodied jets in an all-economy class configuration. Additionally, identify the type of wide-body each airline flew.

Trans International, formerly Transamerica, Boeing 747
World Airways, McDonnell Douglas DC-10
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

typo? Proud BIRD is the name of a restaurant that used to operate near the runways at LAX as was set to reopen a few years ago.

Or "Proud Bird with the Golden Tail", which was Continental Airlines
"Houston Proud Express" which is mentioned twice in the explanation, so no further discussion of typos on the link should be warranted at this point.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:06 am
Suspended

a proud bird, indeed!

years later, if it were a code share on a commuter / regional airline, it would have been a CRJ-200, not very proud. ha ha
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Jul 1976 to Jul 1978 I was living in Torrance, working at the Rockwell International facility at Imperial Highway and Aviation Blvd; during that time, I made more than a few visits to the Proud Bird restaurant and lounge (which was then located in the Continental Airlines office complex on El Segundo Blvd)

it moved to its current Aviation Blvd location overlooking the 25L approach by late 1978, and featured a number of museum-like aviation history exhibits and static aircraft displays (iirc mainly of the WWII era)

in the last couple years it has reinvented itself as a “food bazaar” with half a dozen or so kitchens and a bar around a common seating area, retaining the history theme
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18. (1982) Identify the only two U.S. airlines that in 1982 operated scheduled flights aboard their wide-bodied jets in an all-economy class configuration. Additionally, identify the type of wide-body each airline flew.

Trans International, formerly Transamerica, Boeing 747
World Airways, McDonnell Douglas DC-10

World, yes. Trans International no. One down, one to go. Get 'em, T!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I just want to say thanks to all of you for your patience with the large lag in my getting back to your responses over the past couple few days. Between a family emergency and poor internet connections, my response time has been slower than I would have liked.....
Well, I certainly hope the situation has improved and that all is well with your family, Seat 2A!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 18, 2019 at 11:19 am
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
"Houston Proud Express" which is mentioned twice in the explanation, so no further discussion of typos on the link should be warranted at this point.
Indeed. Nothing to see here, please move along citizen.....

And thanks for the photo, Seat 2A, as it brought back some memories. Our family moved to the outskirts of Houston to the Clear Lake area back when NASA was preparing to send Apollo missions to the moon as my Dad was an aerospace engineer with Boeing at the time. Hard to believe that was over 50 years ago as we approach the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing! I went to high school with the astronaut's kids. Wally Schirra Jr. as well as Barbara Lovell (we dated) were friends as were Frank Borman's sons while Astronaut Rusty Schweickart (Apollo 9 LEM pilot) went to our church. As Dad was involved with the LEM navigation systems, he would talk shop with Rusty after services with yours truly in attendance trying not to say anything dumb.

I was very familiar with Hobby Airport as Intercontinental had yet to open back then. I also remember taking advantage of a Trans-Texas Airways weekend promotion several times where for a mere $25 one could fly as much as one wanted on TTa beginning on a Saturday morning with the only stipulation being you had to be on board your return flight, either nonstop or direct, back to your originating airport (HOU in my case) by 6:00 pm on Sunday. I got to briefly visit such exotic destinations as Santa Fe, Roswell and Harlingen as well as Dallas Love, Albuquerque, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Little Rock and Midland/Odessa while on board TTa DC9 aircraft. And I spent some time on board the airline's Convair 600 aircraft as well flying into Austin, Temple, Hot Springs, Jonesboro and Memphis.

I also remember Continental's Houston Proud Express operated by Emerald Air with the DC9. I believe OD was operating around seven round trip HOU-IAH flights on weekdays. Continental also operated a "dual hub" operation in Houston at one point. Besides the primary operation at IAH, at the same time CO was operating mainline nonstops out of HOU to AUS, DEN, LAS, LAX, MIA, MSY, LGA, SAT and DCA. This "dual hub" strategy did not work out and CO was back to concentrating on IAH by the early 1990's.....although they did later operate B737-300 flights between HOU and IAH. I flew on this service. On one flight, there were only 10 or so of us on board the aircraft so the flight attendants moved us all up to first class.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 19, 2019 at 8:13 am Reason: clarification
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. (1982) The Canadian rock band Rush is playing next weekend in Calgary and you’re excited to have scored two fourth row tickets to the concert. Although there are no nonstop flights between your home airport in Portland, Oregon and Calgary, you figure you’ll fly up to Vancouver and connect to Calgary from there. Alas, you can’t find anything but First Class seats between YVR and YYC. No way, man… that’s too much money. Hmm… what’s this? Well how ‘bout that?! There’s a daily three stop direct flight between Portland and Calgary that has two seats available at a fairly reasonable fare. Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops.
Please see Post 15932
8. Hmmmm.....sounds like we may have an indirect routing here (but one I would have been happy to fly with a window seat ahead of the wing).

So let's go with Western operating a B737-200 in all Y config on a routing of Portland-San Francisco-Salt Lake City-Great Falls-Calgary.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. (1983) Per the 1983 OAG I referenced for these questions, what is Aspen Airways’ longest flight? Identify the city pair and the aircraft type operated, please.
9. I remember when Aspen Airways began serving Lake Tahoe (TVL) with nonstop Convair 580 flights to Burbank, San Francisco and San Jose being operated in the fall of 1979. Air California and PSA had finally ceased L-188 Electra service into TVL by that time and it really was an end of an era with regard to scheduled service being flown with the iconic four engine Lockheed turboprop in California.

However, by 1983 I believe Aspen was no longer serving Lake Tahoe but had expanded service from its DEN hub to include flights to the east. So if you are if referring to a nonstop flight, let's go with CV-580 service between Denver and Sioux City. And if you are talking about a direct flight, my answer would then be Denver - Sioux City - Waterloo once again with the 580.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA
So I went and checked and - lo and behold - that "CVR" designation I saw in the OAG - upon further investigation of the airline in question - was not a turboprop 580 but rather a piston engine 440. I had thought by 1983 we'd seen the last of the 440s, but NO!

Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that in 1983 it’s still possible to fly all the way from Philadelphia to Chicago aboard a piston engine propliner from the 1950s. The flight doesn’t operate nonstop of course – two enroute stops in Ohio are made – but hey, so much the better as you’ll have that much more time to enjoy the experience enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
The entry CVR in the OAG was certainly used for the Cv580, so quite reasonable to assume so. Whether it was actually the last scheduled service in the USA by a traditional large mainstream piston aircraft, though, I'm not really at Liberty to say.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
had I known then what I know now (both about the existence of a domestic Convair operation through Ohio and the eventual existence of a virtual community of Old Timer Airline/Airliner Quiz and Discussion enthusiasts), I would have most certainly figured out a way to get on at least one leg of that flight en route to or from my Air Force Reserve tour at Wright-Patterson AFB that year

I’m almost certain it didn’t serve either Dayton or Cincinnati, because I would have probably noticed it when perusing OAGs in preparation for making travel arrangements ... therefore I will guess that the flight stopped in smaller cities in northern Ohio ... how about Youngstown (YNG) and Toledo (TOL)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.