Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

23. In 1977, this U.S. based air carrier announced its intention to acquire four new McDonnell Douglas MD-80 aircraft which would have been a new type in their fleet. However, these MD-80s were never delivered to the airline in question. Identify this air carrier. It wasn't Hughes Airwest

26. You are in Guadalajara in 1981 and need to travel to Omaha. Ah, you are probably going to have to connect somewhere.....but wait! Here's a two stop flight which operates four days a week from GDL to OMA. What air carrier will you be flying with, what are the two stops and what type of aircraft will you be flying on? ANSWERED

28. Republic Airlines initiated new nonstop flights between Minneapolis/St. Paul and Los Angeles and also between Detroit and Los Angeles in 1982. RC had a name for the on board service offered on these new flights. What was it? As in Republic's new " ___________ Service"
And just three two more to go here.......

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 9, 2019 at 9:19 am Reason: answer update
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
20- we have pretty well exhausted clever adjectival terms, so let’s try a simple yet descriptive one:
”Flying Banana”
20. Nope!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
26. You are in Guadalajara in 1981 and need to travel to Omaha. Ah, you are probably going to have to connect somewhere.....but wait! Here's a two stop flight which operates four days a week from GDL to OMA. What air carrier will you be flying with, what are the two stops and what type of aircraft will you be flying on?
26- let’s start the guessing with Texas International, running a DC-9-30 via San Antonio (SAT) and Dallas (DFW)
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977?

Time is running out but, before the answer is given, another try!

Super Banana Boeing 727-200

Super!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
23. In 1977, this U.S. based air carrier announced its intention to acquire four new McDonnell Douglas MD-80 aircraft which would have been a new type in their fleet. However, these MD-80s were never delivered to the airline in question. Identify this air carrier.

Hughes Airwest! I have doubts but we're on a banana roll, with LAX-SDF-BNA answered correctly and a pending answer about the Super Banana (?).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: BA
20- we have pretty well exhausted clever adjectival terms, so let’s try a simple yet descriptive one:
”Flying Banana”
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977?

Alright then, how about the Extraordinarily Large Banana? No, probably not. How about the Bodacious Banana? I mean, it was the seventies, right? Nah... prolly not. Mebbe it wuz the "Great Banana" like the pumpkin in Charlie Brown comics. Nah... don't see it. Any chance it was just something simple like, say. the "Big Banana"? I mean - what the hey - we be runnin' outta superlatives here... Big Banana's kinda simple and straightforward. Sounds as good as anything at this point... except for "Beautiful Banana"... Yeah, yeah.. that coulda been it...

26. You are in Guadalajara in 1981 and need to travel to Omaha. Ah, you are probably going to have to connect somewhere.....but wait! Here's a two stop flight which operates four days a week from GDL to OMA. What air carrier will you be flying with, what are the two stops and what type of aircraft will you be flying on?

I think this might be Frontier routing GDL-ELP-DEN-OMA. But lissen - I'm sittin' here swillin' Russell's Reserve at 1:00am, so whadda I no?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 9, 2019 at 3:15 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

26- let’s start the guessing with Texas International, running a DC-9-30 via San Antonio (SAT) and Dallas (DFW)
26. Texas International is correct although the aircraft type and the routing are just a bit different. Here's the sched.....

TI 942: Guadalajara (GDL) 8:45a - 10:40a Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 11:40a - 12:29p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 1:00p - 2:25p Omaha (OMA)
Freq: GDL-IAH Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays only, IAH-OMA Daily
Service class: S
Meal services: Breakfast GDL-IAH, Snack DFW-OMA
Equip: DC-9-10

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 9, 2019 at 8:46 am Reason: additional freq info
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Time is running out but, before the answer is given, another try!

Super Banana Boeing 727-200

Super!
20. Yep, Hughes Airwest called their new Boeing 727-200 aircraft the Super Banana. Here's an RW print ad from 1977 when the 72S Super Banana was being operated three times daily on a routing of Los Angeles (LAX) - Las Vegas (LAS) - Calgary (YYC) - Edmonton (YEG).........

RWnewways77
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Alright then, how about the Extraordinarily Large Banana? No, probably not. How about the Bodacious Banana? I mean, it was the seventies, right? Nah... prolly not. Mebbe it wuz the "Great Banana" like the pumpkin in Charlie Brown comics. Nah... don't see it. Any chance it was just something simple like, say. the "Big Banana"? I mean - what the hey - we be runnin' outta superlatives here... Big Banana's kinda simple and straightforward. Sounds as good as anything at this point... except for "Beautiful Banana"... Yeah, yeah.. that coulda been it...

I think this might be Frontier routing GDL-ELP-DEN-OMA. But lissen - I'm sittin' here swillin' Russell's Reserve at 1:00am, so whadda I no?
20. Ah, it was the Super Banana 727-200. And one wonders what name Hughes Airwest might have come up with had they operated a Boeing 767....the Ultra Banana, perhaps?

26. We now know the airline in question was TI operating GDL-IAH-DFW-OMA with a DC9....but Frontier is an excellent guess!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
23. In 1977, this U.S. based air carrier announced its intention to acquire four new McDonnell Douglas MD-80 aircraft which would have been a new type in their fleet. However, these MD-80s were never delivered to the airline in question. Identify this air carrier.

Hughes Airwest! I have doubts but we're on a banana roll, with LAX-SDF-BNA answered correctly and a pending answer about the Super Banana (?).
23. Nope, it wasn't Hughes Airwest.

And as for the delay in responding to the RW 72S quiz item, my ancient laptop computer crashed last night. Fortunately, my new one has now finally arrived (via a Fedex 757 into LFT).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
20. Ah, it was the Super Banana 727-200. And one wonders what name Hughes Airwest might have come up with had they operated a Boeing 767....the Ultra Banana, perhaps?
Great job with these questions, JL! ^ It's fun to be so befuddled over this stuff.

I couldn't find an artist's rendition of the 767 in Hughes' livery, but had Pacific picked up its 737s, the airplane would've looked quite nice in RW's livery.

Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, that's a very nice looking 737 livery!

Now if we could just get Delta to paint one of their 737s in a Hughes Airwest retro livery......
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Loved seeing those bananas at LAX when I was a kid. I'm not exactly sure why, but the yellow/blue color scheme and the font/logo always made me think of the Batman series from the 60's. I used to think that if Batman and Robin flew a plane, it would be one from Hughes Airwest.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Loved seeing those bananas at LAX when I was a kid.....
I remember seeing Fairchild F-27 aircraft in the Hughes Airwest livery at several of the smaller RW stations in California including Santa Barbara. And I also flew with them as well several times between Burbank and Denver via a stop in Salt Lake City on board the DC-9-30. It was a fun experience and certainly wasn't "Air Worst".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.