Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

17. This air carrier was operating the only nonstop service between New York City (JFK) and Cancun (CUN) in 1976 with two flights a week. Identify the airline and the equipment. ANSWERED - Air France operating Boeing 707 service

20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977? "_________ Banana" (it wasn't "Flying Banana" or "Golden Banana", "Top Banana", "Big Banana" or "Giant Banana".....)
And as we prepare for Seat 2A's upcoming tour de force, it's time for last call for the two one above. Should there be no takers, I'll then provide the answers tomorrow.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 8, 2019 at 12:03 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
And as we prepare for Seat 2A's upcoming tour de force, it's time for last call for the two above. Should there be no takers, I'll then provide the answers tomorrow.
Not for the lack of interest, though! I thought and thought about it. I cannot come up with the answer. Another try....

20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977?

Giant Banana

....and why not try

17. This air carrier was operating the only nonstop service between New York City (JFK) and Cancun (CUN) in 1976 with two flights a week. Identify the airline and the equipment

LACSA, Boeing 727-100

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jul 7, 2019 at 3:05 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Not for the lack of interest, though! I thought and thought about it. I cannot come up with the answer. Another try....

20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977?

Giant Banana
20. Well, you're not quite there yet....so as they say way down in Aussie land, "Give 'er another go there, mate!"
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17. This air carrier was operating the only nonstop service between New York City (JFK) and Cancun (CUN) in 1976 with two flights a week. Identify the airline and the equipment

LACSA, Boeing 727-100
17. "Please try again, mate!" Here's a hint: the airline in question was not based in Mexico or Central America. Plus we already know the service wasn't operated by a U.S. based air carrier. And the equipment wasn't a B727-100.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 7, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

I await the answer. In the mean time, I will try my hardest and give any answer short of Tupelov Tu-144! In order to beat tomorrow's deadline, I will see if rule breaking works and submit two answers

Main answer: Condor, Boeing 707
Alternate answer: Avianca, Boeing 707
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
27. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Salt Lake City (SLC) to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) in 1982 on board a stretched DC-8, what airline would you call?

On the right track with CL, eh? My other choice would have been Arrow Air, which used to serve Denver from JFK and TPA with its D8Ss.

Iberia served MEX via YMX. Let's then go with Iberia serving Cancun out of JFK with a DC-10-30
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond

JLemon: If it's not too late, may I jump in and cast a vote to support Toshbaf in one of his earlier answers -- just ran across a copy of the Top Banana ad:
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I await the answer. In the mean time, I will try my hardest and give any answer short of Tupelov Tu-144! In order to beat tomorrow's deadline, I will see if rule breaking works and submit two answers

Main answer: Condor, Boeing 707
Alternate answer: Avianca, Boeing 707
17. It wasn't Condor or Avianca. However, you have now correctly identified the equipment as the service was operated with a Boeing 707.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
And it's also interesting to note that Hughes Airwest was serving Denver at this time via an interchange agreement with Frontier.....although I do not know whether RW's DC-9s or FL's 737s were being used on these joint services between DEN and southern California with LAS and SLC being the interchange points between the two carriers.
When I worked with Frontier in Denver, Hughes Airwest DC-9-30s did indeed come into Denver from Las Vegas and SLC. My crew had the misfortune of being assigned the LAS flight. I say "misfortune" because while our 737s had large spacious baggage holds, on the DC-9 you had no choice but to be on your knees. Its baggage compartments were long and low, making loading and unloading comparatively more difficult.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
27. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Salt Lake City (SLC) to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) in 1982 on board a stretched DC-8, what airline would you call?

On the right track with CL, eh? My other choice would have been Arrow Air, which used to serve Denver from JFK and TPA with its D8Ss.

Iberia served MEX via YMX. Let's then go with Iberia serving Cancun out of JFK with a DC-10-30
17. Ah, it wasn't Iberia and we now know the equipment wasn't a DC-10 but was actually a 707.

27. Well, you are still on the right track; however, it wasn't Arrow Air. And the air carrier in question may have been better known for flying in the other direction.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... the DC-9 ... baggage compartments were long and low ...
interesting, isn’t it, how a smaller fuselage diameter affects more than just the cabin layout (3-2 coach seating on the DC-9 family vs 3-3 on the 737 and the other Boeing narrow-bodies)
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jlemon: It wasn't Condor or Avianca. However, you have now correctly identified the equipment as the service was operated with a Boeing 707.

A 707 was it? Hmm... Lufthansa is tempting, but I'm going to go with Air France. Please disregard my earlier post suggesting Iberia.

There are not a lot of options left for domestic DC-8-61 operations. It's time to go with Pacific East Air
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq

JLemon: If it's not too late, may I jump in and cast a vote to support Toshbaf in one of his earlier answers -- just ran across a copy of the Top Banana ad:
Hello minliq! Hope all is well with you and your family over there in the New Orleans area. And I also hope you are prepared for possible tropical weather by this weekend as our National Hurricane Center (NHC) is now forecasting an 80% chance for a tropical depression to form in the Gulf of Mexico south of the Florida panhandle by the end of the week. What happens next is anyone's guess at the moment as the computer models do not agree on the future track of the system.....however, it appears at this time it will drift west in the Gulf in our direction and will also bring a huge amount of rain.

Now to the illustration of the Hughes Airwest button you were kind enough to post. I believe in this case "Top Banana" refers to the airline and thus not the equipment (and that sure looks like a DC-9-30 to me ). At any rate, the source material I used for this quiz item states "3 flights daily on the new _______ Banana 727-200". And the missing word in the blank here is not "Top". I shall supply the evidence with the answer, of course.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Per jlemon: It wasn't Condor or Avianca. However, you have now correctly identified the equipment as the service was operated with a Boeing 707.

A 707 was it? Hmm... Lufthansa is tempting, but I'm going to go with Air France. Please disregard my earlier post suggesting Iberia.

There are not a lot of options left for domestic DC-8-61 operations. It's time to go with Pacific East Air
17. Yep, it was Air France. Here are the scheds in both directions......

AF 015: New York (JFK) 1:45p - 4:45p Cancun (CUN)
Freq: Thursdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: 707
Complete routing: NCE-CDG-JFK-CUN

AF 015: New York (JFK) 10:15p - 1:15a Cancun (CUN)
Freq: Saturdays only
Meal service: None listed (in OAG)
Complete routing: NCE-CDG-JFK-CUN

AF 010: Cancun (CUN) 6:15p - 10:45p New York (JFK)
Freq: Thursdays only
Complete routing: CUN-JFK-CDG

AF 010: Cancun (CUN) 3:15a - 7:45a New York (JFK)
Freq: Sundays only
Complete routing: CUN-JFK-CDG

BTW, although I have used the current three letter airport code for Cancun, back in 1976 its airport code was CKO according to the OAG.

27. "Yes sir, and welcome on board Pacific East Air Super DC-8 service to Chicago!" Here's the sched....

6P 20: Salt Lake City (SLC) 12:00n - 3:45p Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays
Service class: All Y
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: D8S

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 8, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
20- we have pretty well exhausted clever adjectival terms, so let’s try a simple yet descriptive one:
”Flying Banana”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.