Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The following quiz items have a time line from the summer of 1972

23. Aside from Delta’s flights, if you wanted to fly aboard a Convair 880 out of Miami during the summer of 1972, only one other airline offered scheduled flights. Identify that airline and the destination it served.
It's not LANICA or VIASA... But it is from a Central American country and the airline's name was an acronym

32B: BONUS QUESTION: Name another airline that operated not three, not four BUT FIVE different types of four engine narrow bodied jetliners - but NOT all at the same time.
BOAC/BA has been identified so far. There's at least one more...

32C
:BONUS QUESTION: Name an airline that simultaneously operated three different types of four-engine narrow bodied jetliners with the following qualifications
1. None of them were regional jets or SSTs
2. Each type was built on a different continent

I'll check in tomorrow night prior to boarding Amtrak's California Zephyr on Wednesday for the Bay Area. If no answers have been provided, I'll clear these off and we'll await the next batch of questions from ___________?

Hope you and the rest of the M's are having a great time in Dubai, W, and many thanks to JL and Lady K for being the consummate hosts during a wonderful visit and dinner in Cajun Country! ^^
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: BA
D

Now, can you (or anyone else) identify an airline that simultaneously operated three different types of four-engine narrow bodied jetliners with the following qualifications

2. Each was built on a different continent
Does this not take us straight back to CAAC, running at the same time the 707 (North America), the BAe146 (Europe), and the Ilyushin 62, which were built in Tashkent, Soviet Republic of Uzbekistan, Asia
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

23. Aside from Delta’s flights, if you wanted to fly aboard a Convair 880 out of Miami during the summer of 1972, only one other airline offered scheduled flights. Identify that airline and the destination it served.
It's not LANICA or VIASA... But it is from a Central American country and the airline's name was an acronym

Hope you and the rest of the M's are having a great time in Dubai, W, and many thanks to JL and Lady K for being the consummate hosts during a wonderful visit and dinner in Cajun Country! ^^
23. Hmmmmm.....I think the air carrier in question earlier operated a twin engine jet type as well as a four engine turboprop type at the same time.....

And great to see you down here, Seat 2A! Looks like the A320 you were on board was getting bounced around a bit as you departed the LFT area this past Saturday as we were experiencing quite the wind storm that day.

Thankfully, the really severe weather missed us but other folks to our north were not so fortunate.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
32B: BONUS QUESTION: Name another airline that operated not three, not four BUT FIVE different types of four engine narrow bodied jetliners - but NOT all at the same time.
^
Air France
1. Concorde
2. Boeing 707
3. de Havilland Comet (short time, mid 1950's)
4. Convair 880 (short time)
5. Douglas DC-8 (short time)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Now, can you (or anyone else) identify an airline that simultaneously operated three different types of four-engine narrow bodied jetliners with the following qualifications

2. Each was built on a different continent

Does this not take us straight back to CAAC, running at the same time the 707 (North America), the BAe146 (Europe), and the Ilyushin 62, which were built in Tashkent, Soviet Republic of Uzbekistan, Asia

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but isn't the BAe-146 a regional jet?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Looks like the A320 you were on board was getting bounced around a bit as you departed the LFT area this past Saturday as we were experiencing quite the wind storm that day.
American's 11:17am departure from LFT to DFW was delayed until after 4:00pm due to the strength of storms over DFW. The Captain announced that we'd head west into Texas before taking a "sharp right" up to Denver. Our flight time was projected at 3 hours but we actually covered the 901 miles in just 2.5 hours. I checked our flight track and it appears we may have shot through a small opening just a couple hundred mils west of LFT. We were about 45 minutes out of Denver and yours truly was just exiting the rear lav (much more spacious height-wise than the forward one) when we hit a particularly strong batch of turbulence. With a nearly full flight and no empty seats in sight, I quickly returned to the safety of the lav where I rode it out. The rear of the aircraft is not a good place to be in turbulence and, given the intensity of the shaking back there, I was thankful that no blue water escaped from the tanks below.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Air France
1. Concorde
2. Boeing 707
3. de Havilland Comet (short time, mid 1950's)
4. Convair 880 (short time)
5. Douglas DC-8 (short time)

Close enough, Mr. T! All correct except the 880. Air France operated the 990 with a bare metal fuselage. So far as I can recall, Swissair and KLM were the only European operators of the 880.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Hmmmmm.....I think the air carrier in question earlier operated a twin engine jet type as well as a four engine turboprop type at the same time.....

That's right - the livery of this carrier was blue and white and while the schedules (both city to city and the airline's own page at the back of the OAG) indicated 880, I've yet to find any pictures of the 880 in this carrier's livery.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
American's 11:17am departure from LFT to DFW was delayed until after 4:00pm due to the strength of storms over DFW. The Captain announced that we'd head west into Texas before taking a "sharp right" up to Denver. Our flight time was projected at 3 hours but we actually covered the 901 miles in just 2.5 hours. I checked our flight track and it appears we may have shot through a small opening just a couple hundred mils west of LFT. We were about 45 minutes out of Denver and yours truly was just exiting the rear lav (much more spacious height-wise than the forward one) when we hit a particularly strong batch of turbulence. With a nearly full flight and no empty seats in sight, I quickly returned to the safety of the lav where I rode it out. The rear of the aircraft is not a good place to be in turbulence and, given the intensity of the shaking back there, I was thankful that no blue water escaped from the tanks below.
Yep, I thought you might be in for a bumpy ride.....and looks like your flight on board a Frontier A320 first headed to the southwest after takeoff and then west over the Gulf of Mexico before making landfall on the Texas coast and heading northwest to Denver passing just east of Austin. Glad you made it OK....and an early arrival at DEN, no less.

Looks like we may be in for the same type of storm system this Wednesday and Thursday which may affect DFW as well as a number of other airports to the east across the southern U.S.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Mrs767 and I have been cleaning out our upstairs storage area so the remodeling contractors can begin converting it to crafts/office space (the existing crafts/office room is being repurposed as a guest bedroom. and the existing guest bedroom is being -- temporarily, we hope -- repurposed as our son's bedroom ... he graduates from Virginia Commonwealth University next month with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, and has accepted a position in Production / Manufacturing Engineering with Boeing on the 777X program in Everett starting late summer)

my dad started collecting Franklin Mint silver medallion sets in the late 1970s, and I had the bug for awhile as well ... NASA manned spaceflight mission logos, classic roadster automobiles, and the like ... while the sets doubtless have some value in the collector community, I wasn't interested in putting them on EBay or similar online marketplaces, and the silver was worth far more anyway

that said, I still opted to keep this set
Toshbaf likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:22 pm
Suspended

What are the airline logos?

AA - ? - QF - IT (Air Inter) - ? - LY - PK - MX - PA - JL
AZ - EI - LH - ? World - can't see - RG - ? - ? - ? - SA
? - AY - ? - AF - SK - Avianca - TWA (can't see well) - SN - ANA? - can't see
SR - UA - can't see x 3 - CO - ? - TW (can't be twice) - ? - ?
? -? - DL- BA - SU - CA - IB - LAParaguay??? - KL - NW
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'm not home to look, but here's my take:

AA, something Express, QF, Imperial Airways, Varney Air Lines (an early UA predecessor), LY, PK, MX, PA, JL
AZ, EI, LH, Handley Page, MS (EgyptAir), RG, "NKYK" (Nippon Koku Yuso Kenkyujo), Air Union (AF predecessor), ?, SA
Colonial, AY, Florida Airways, AF, SK, AV, AI, SN, NH, National Air Transport
SR, UA, OA, Los Angeles Airways, St Petersburg-Tampa Air Boat Line (first scheduled airline), CO, TW, Boeing, Aeromarine Flying Boat Service, ?
AF, Air Ceylon, DL, BA, SU, CA, IB, AR, KL, NW
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then, here are the answers...

23. (Summer of 1972) Aside from Delta’s flights, if you wanted to fly aboard a Convair 880 out of Miami during the summer of 1972, only one other airline offered scheduled flights. Identify that airline and the destination it served.

The airline we're looking for was TAN. Here's the schedule out of Miami:

TAN TX 415 Miami (MIA) 900a-900a San Pedro Sula (SAP) CVR-880 Mo We Fr

BOAC/BA has been identified so far. There's at least one more...

A N S W E R E D (Air France 707, DC-8, 990, Comet, Concorde)

32C
:BONUS QUESTION: Name an airline that simultaneously operated three different types of four-engine narrow bodied jetliners with the following qualifications
2. Each type was built on a different continent

The airline I was looking for was Egyptair which simultaneously operated 707s, Comets and the IL-62 on flights out of Cairo

And that closes out my set of questions. I don't see any more in the foreseeable future. Instead, I see more trains. Staring tomorrow morning I'll settle into my roomette aboard the California Zephyr and head west to the Golden State where I'll connect to the Coast Starlight up to the Pacific Northwest and then head for Milwaukee aboard the Empire Builder. A few years ago I put together a photo report covering most of this very same route. I'll leave you now with a link to those photos...

ALL ABOARD: A Photographic Rail Adventure Through The American West

A quick check of the rail log indicates this'll be my 26th ride aboard the Zephyr and my 39th aboard the Starlight - two of the most scenic long distance trains in the world
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 16, 2019 at 11:16 pm
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:56 am
Suspended

What does one do on such a train? Stay in the roomette or walk around? Does the roomette lock from the outside with a key?

Are there meal times? Does the dining car ever become full?

Is there no time to get off the train at stops?

I've only been on trains for shorter distances, like London-Paris or Brussels-Lille or Philadelphia-New York.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:03 am
Suspended

Pop quiz

Awaiting the next set of questions, here's a pop quiz.

It is spring 1991, specifically May 1991. You're traveling with a picky companion. Only non-stops. From Miami (MIA only, not FLL), how can you get to London? Airline(s) and aircraft.

Disclaimer: I may not have all the answers but I am thinking of one answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.