Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
15. When I die and go to heaven, I’ll probably connect in Atlanta”. That old quip notwithstanding, you’ve had uniquely bad luck of late with connections – wherever they may be – so much so that for your upcoming flight between Dallas and West Palm Beach you’ve booked yourself upon the late afternoon five-stopper. It’ll be a long day, but a couple of good books should ease the pain. Identify the airline, aircraft and all five of the enroute stops in order, please.

Time to start dissecting this one ... in 1970, I think the only airlines serving both Texas and Florida were Braniff, Delta, Eastern, and National ... BN didn't serve West Palm (PBI), and NA didn't serve Dallas (DAL), so we're left with DL and EA. If I'm thinking about DL, a late-night arrival into PBI **could** have been a DC-8 from Miami (MIA) and Ft Lauderdale (FLL), and the initial three stops **could** have been New Orleans (MSY), Tampa (TPA), and Orlando (MCO) ... but that just strikes me as a little too odd

So ... looking at EA, the first leg would also be DAL-MSY; the next four stops would be Mobile (MOB), Pensacola (PNS), Tallahassee (TLH), and TPA; the most likely equipment would be a DC-9

Actually, it was Delta and New Orleans was not one of the stops. Neither were any of the others you listed. But knowing it's Delta, it should now be fairly simple to have a good guess at a more correct routing. BTW, when you say DC-9, are you referring to the -10 variant?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
15- I initially went after this with the intent of finding a plausible itinerary that avoided ATL entirely

but now that you have declared DL the airline of record, ATL would logically be the last stop, and the first four might have been Shreveport (SHV), Monroe (MLU), Jackson (JAN), and Birmingham (BHM) ... DL actually had both the -10 and the -30 in their fleet in 1970, so the correct answer will be revealed whether I guess right or wrong ... just for grins let's say the -10
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

6. Of all the days to get a flat tire! Now you’re sitting on I-35, nine miles from Minneapolis International and there’s no way you’re going to make your nonstop flight to Boston. A quick call to your travel agent reveals that the next direct flight to Boston is a two stopper that’ll arrive Boston mid-afternoon. You quickly book a seat. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stops, please.
6. One mo' time.....Mohawk operating a BAC One-Eleven with stops made in Buffalo and Rochester.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The following quiz items have a time line of the autumn of 1970

3. An old college friend has invited you to join her and six of your classmates at a mini-reunion on the big island of Hawaii. Can you make it? A quick glance out the window of your Manhattan loft at the wintry gray day makes this an easy decision. From JFK, there is a single two-stop direct flight departing each Saturday morning. A change of gauge is required enroute but First Class is available all the way through. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft involved and the routing (including the aircraft switch point)
Northwest was involved

6. Of all the days to get a flat tire! Now you’re sitting on I-35, nine miles from Minneapolis International and there’s no way you’re going to make your nonstop flight to Boston. A quick call to your travel agent reveals that the next direct flight to Boston is a two stopper that’ll arrive Boston mid-afternoon. You quickly book a seat. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stops, please.
A N S W E R E D

12. You’re all set to fly to from Chicago to Billings, Montana for the weekend. Unfortunately, a couple of things have come up at the office that mean you’ll have to switch from your 100p nonstop to something a bit later. A call to your travel agent reveals that unfortunately, no seats are available in any class to Billings until early this evening. But wait! If you can get over to Chicago’s lightly used Midway Airport, there’s a two stop flight departing at 220pm. It’s even got some larger seats up in the front of the aircraft. Book it, Danno! Identify the usual triumvirate, including the two stops enroute.
It was not a Northwest Electra

14. Working solely from schedules published in the North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.
See latest responses above

15. “When I die and go to heaven, I’ll probably connect in Atlanta”. That old quip notwithstanding, you’ve had uniquely bad luck of late with connections – wherever they may be – so much so that for your upcoming flight between Dallas and West Palm Beach you’ve booked yourself upon the late afternoon five-stopper. It’ll be a long day, but a couple of good books should ease the pain. Identify the airline, aircraft and all five of the enroute stops in order, please.
A N S W E R E D

The following quiz item has a time line of the first quarter of 1973

21. The airline you usually fly between Detroit and New Orleans is on strike. So it is that you find yourself booked on a two-stop late afternoon departure. This airline utilizes an aircraft that until recently was not operated by your usual airline on the DTW-MSY route. As an added bonus, two dinners and a snack will be served along the way. Identify the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type.

The following quiz items have a time line from the summer of 1972

23. Aside from Delta’s flights, if you wanted to fly aboard a Convair 880 out of Miami during the summer of 1972, only one other airline offered scheduled flights. Identify that airline and the destination it served.
It's not LANICA or VIASA... But it is from a Latin American country

32. I’ve been able to find only one airline in the world that in 1973 operated three different types of four engine narrow bodied jetliners at the same time. (I’m not including variants such as a 727-100 vs a 727-200. We’re looking at only the base models) Each aircraft type is manufactured by a different company. Identify the airline and the three aircraft types. Additionally, if you should think of any other airlines operating 3 or more 4-engine aircraft at the same time during 1972, I would be happy to verify it.
Ongoing. MEA, American, Varig so far
BONUS QUESTION: Name an airline that operated not three but four different types of four engine narrow bodied jetliners - but NOT all at the same time.
BOAC, MEA and American have been identified so far. There's at least one more...

33. Identify the only non-Pratt & Whitney powered twin jet (operating scheduled flights) that you’ll see in Bangkok in the late summer of 1972. Airline and aircraft type, please.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 9, 2019 at 12:03 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
15. When I die and go to heaven, I’ll probably connect in Atlanta”. That old quip notwithstanding, you’ve had uniquely bad luck of late with connections – wherever they may be – so much so that for your upcoming flight between Dallas and West Palm Beach you’ve booked yourself upon the late afternoon five-stopper. It’ll be a long day, but a couple of good books should ease the pain. Identify the airline, aircraft and all five of the enroute stops in order, please.

I initially went after this with the intent of finding a plausible itinerary that avoided ATL entirely Now that you have declared DL the airline of record, ATL would logically be the last stop, and the first four might have been Shreveport (SHV), Monroe (MLU), Jackson (JAN), and Birmingham (BHM) ... DL actually had both the -10 and the -30 in their fleet in 1970, so the correct answer will be revealed whether I guess right or wrong ... just for grins let's say the -10

Now we're rollin'! The first four stops were SHV, JAN, BHM and ATL. There was another stop between ATL and PBI. Additionally, the a/c was not a -10. So then, it must've been...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

One mo' time.....Mohawk operating a BAC One-Eleven with stops made in Buffalo and Rochester.

Buffalo, yes. Rochester, no. Hmm... whatever could it be.....?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

Mohawk BAC-111 Need correct routing

6. Well, let's get creative here and make the two stops Buffalo and White Plains.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 8, 2019 at 5:23 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The following quiz items have a time line from the summer of 1972

33. Identify the only non-Pratt & Whitney powered twin jet (operating scheduled flights) that you’ll see in Bangkok in the late summer of 1972. Airline and aircraft type, please.
How about Air Siam with a BAC One-Eleven?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
15- well, the jet is obviously a D9S; the stop between ATL and PBI — being neither TLH nor MCO nor TPA — is much less evident ... I’ll speculate Jacksonville (JAX) to start
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The following quiz items have a time line of the autumn of 1970

3. An old college friend has invited you to join her and six of your classmates at a mini-reunion on the big island of Hawaii. Can you make it? A quick glance out the window of your Manhattan loft at the wintry gray day makes this an easy decision. From JFK, there is a single two-stop direct flight departing each Saturday morning. A change of gauge is required enroute but First Class is available all the way through. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft involved and the routing (including the aircraft switch point)

In 1970, Hilo was the big airport and Kona, on the west coast of the Big Island, was in its infancy. In 2019, the reverse is true, KOA has much more traffic than ITO, if I had to guess.

Northwest Orient, JFK-SEA, 747
SEA-HNL-ITO DC-10-40

In contrast, in 2019, JFK-SEA is often served with a 737, sometimes 757. No 747's anywhere. The Hawaii segment is also on 737s often, depending on the airline. Even the airline of Hawaii Five-0 (book'em Danno) has changed. Previously United, now Hawaiian.

One thing is largely unchanged. JFK Terminal 2, formerly the Northwest/Delta terminal still looks largely the same including the white waffle ceiling.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: BA
Air France AF 240 Antigua (ANU) 905a-1010a San Juan (SJU) 1030a-1045a Port au Prince (PAP) 1115a-120p Miami (MIA) Caravelle Daily
Air France had several operations through Haiti over the years, including I seem to recall a 707 JFK-Port au Prince at one time. Haiti had been of course a French colony, at the same time as "Louisiana", and the tradition seemed to continue. Haiti has never, apart from a few minor attempts, had a mainstream carrier of its own.

This was after the quite substantial Thai Caravelle fleet had been sent back to Scandinavia, and before the A300 came along. Caravelles had come and gone with others in the region, so I'll go for a Garuda F.28, likely running in from nearby Medan.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. However, on the other hand, this flight may have stopped at Hartford following the initial stop at Buffalo. BTW, in 1970 the CAB awarded Mohawk the Buffalo-Minnepolis/St. Paul route with MSP being the most western point ever served by the airline.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
In 1970, Hilo was the big airport and Kona, on the west coast of the Big Island, was in its infancy. In 2019, the reverse is true, KOA has much more traffic than ITO, if I had to guess....
The current Kona Airport opened in 1970 with a 6,500 foot runway. United was operating nonstop DC-10 service to LAX and nonstop Super DC-8-71 service to SFO as early as 1985. By 1994, the runway at KOA had been extended to 11,000 feet. This enabled JAL to begin nonstop Tokyo-Kona service in 1996. Also in 1996, a British Airways Concorde visited the airport. And a year before, I was working as the Director of Marketing for Mahalo Air, a regional based in HNL that served Kona at the time with ATR 42 aircraft.

Most of the resort hotels are located on the western side of the Big Island, of course, as the weather tends to be drier in that area due to the prevailing trade winds.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Maha...F4koyt0cwKl5py

And I still have my "Honu" golf shirt.....

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 12, 2019 at 1:04 pm Reason: added photo link & correction
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Well, let's get creative here and make the two stops Buffalo and White Plains.

Whoa, Nellie! That's a bit too creative, JL! You'll be shocked when you find out the city in question, if only because it'll make such sense. I will say this: It's not in New York.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear

How about Air Siam with a BAC One-Eleven?

How 'bout it? Great answer, Oski! You are indeed correct! At later times in its history Air Siam also flew the DC-10 and the 747.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.