Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA
2. Jose loves to play golf. Imagine then his surprise and delight when a business associate who’s a member of Augusta National Golf Club invites him up to Georgia to play a couple rounds on the Masters course. Ay Yi Yi! Por supuesto! From his home in Mexico City, he’s booked a nonstop flight up to Miami connecting to another nonstop flight up to Augusta. Two airlines are involved, but only one aircraft type. Identify both airlines and the aircraft type utilized.
I think that Eastern would be the carrier from Miami to Augusta. Also, that the two operators from Miami to Mexico were Eastern and Aeronaves. As it's two airlines, that would make the Mexican carrier the one on that leg. Same type ? I can't see Eastern running more than a DC-9 to Augusta, and Aeronaves had those as well.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
25. Back in the summer of 1972, travelers desiring to leave Jolly Olde England for the sun kissed beaches of Waikiki on Hawaii’s island of Oahu had a choice of three airlines – each of them operating a different type of equipment – at least out of London. One operated the same equipment all the way through to HNL while the other two had a change of equipment at an intermediate stop. Can you identify each of the three airlines, their routing and the equipment type(s) each operated?),

1. BOAC, LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL and beyond, VC-10
2. Qantas, LHR - SFO - HNL and beyond. LHR-SFO 707-138 (short body), SFO - HNL 707-338 (regular)
3. Pan Am, LHR - , 747, LAX - HNL 707

BOAC is correct in every respect - routing and aircraft as well. Qantas is also one of the airlines involved, but you'll need to clean up your routing (Another stop was involved) and aircraft (It was not 2 707s)
Pan Am is incorrect. So then, you're off to a good start, Mr. T - this ought to be a breeze for you to finish off. ^

BOAC BA 591 LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL VC10 x Mo Sa

23. Aside from Delta’s flights, if you wanted to fly aboard a Convair 880 out of Miami during the summer of 1972, only one other airline offered scheduled flights. Identify that airline and the destination it served.

Viasa, Caracas

VIASA 880s used to be regular visitors to Miami, but alas VIASA traded in its last 880 in late 1968 (they all went to Cathay Pacific). Please, guess again!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
24. You don’t like little airplanes. The larger - the better, you always say. As such, for your upcoming flight between Edinburgh and London, you’ve chosen to fly aboard a ___________________ operated by _____________________. It is the largest aircraft operating scheduled flights out of EDI.

Vickers Vanguard, British European Airways
Right-o, J. Passengers flying to London from Edinburgh could fly BEA Vanguards to LHR or B-Cal BAC-111s to LGW.

The Vanguard was 122' long, capable of carrying as many as 139 passengers.
B-Cal's largest variant of the 111 (BAC-1-11-501) checked in at 107' long, capable of carrying up to 119 passengers.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
13. Unfortunately, there are no nonstop flights between Memphis and Cleveland. Worse yet, the only available flight is a three stopper that’ll take a butt-numbing four hours to get there. Sigh… Reluctantly, you book a seat on it. Identify the airline, the three stops and the aircraft type.

Hmmmmm....not too long ago I posed a quiz item concerning a one stop flight from Memphis to Knoxville. The year was 1969 and the answer was United operating a Caravelle with a complete routing of MEM-HSV-TYS-PIT-CLE. However, I do not think we are looking for UA here. So instead let's go with American operating a BAC One-Eleven series 400 with the three stops being Nashville, Cincinnati and Columbus.

Correct! You'd have to bring a sandwich along as no food was provided on this flight.

American AA 646 Memphis (MEM) 335p-424p Nashville (BNA) 450p-639p Cincinnati (CVG) 700p-739p Columbus (CMH) 805p-843p Cleveland (CLE) BAC-111 Daily
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7. From Boston you’ll continue on to Providence, Rhode Island. It’s not very far and your original plan was to rent a car until you were informed of the exorbitant drop-off fees. Thankfully the one way airfare is just $13.00 and you’ll have a choice of three morning departures – all of them leaving between 6:20 and 7:10am. Each flight is operated by a different airline operating a different aircraft type. Your mission – should you decide to accept it – is to identify each airline and the aircraft it operates down to Providence. Good luck.

How about Eastern with a DC-9-30, American with a 727, and Mohawk with a BAC One-Eleven (which I took in Apr 1972, continuing on board to Hartford and Buffalo)

You'd think you wrote the schedule there, J. Here ya go!

American AA 295 Boston (BOS) 620a-646a Providence (PVD) 727-100 Daily
Mohawk MO 189 Boston (BOS) 700a-725a Providence (PVD) BAC-111 Daily
Eastern EA 547 Boston (BOS) 710a-735a Providence (PVD) DC-9-30 Daily
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:41 pm

Right-o, J. Passengers flying to London from Edinburgh could fly BEA Vanguards to LHR or B-Cal BAC-111s to LGW.
As I think I've written before, I was ay university in Edinburgh right at this time. The old short SE-NW was the only one then, and BEA said it was not suitable for Tridents, and the Vanguards were to be withdrawn, this was central to the justification for the new runway, the present one, which opened in 1977. Of course, once this had been agreed the Tridents were introduced anyway ...

The Vanguard was a notably noisy and vibration-prone aircraft. From up on top of Edinburgh Castle in the city centre, 6 miles east of the airport, you could hear them manoeuvring. I was once inside the old ground-level terminal when one arrived outside, all conversation ceased. It was the opposite of its contemporary, the "Whispering Giant" Bristol Britannia. What was the problem ? I blame the propeller tips (square De Havilland on the Vanguard, rounded Dowty on the Britannia).

You could also hear the B Cal One-Eleven from up at the Castle but it was more a roar rather than the penetrating throbbing of the Vanguard. I never heard a Canadair 44 (same engines). How did they sound ?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
2. Jose loves to play golf. Imagine then his surprise and delight when a business associate who’s a member of Augusta National Golf Club invites him up to Georgia to play a couple rounds on the Masters course. Ay Yi Yi! Por supuesto! From his home in Mexico City, he’s booked a nonstop flight up to Miami connecting to another nonstop flight up to Augusta. Two airlines are involved, but only one aircraft type. Identify both airlines and the aircraft type utilized.

I think that Eastern would be the carrier from Miami to Augusta. Also, that the two operators from Miami to Mexico were Eastern and Aeronaves. As it's two airlines, that would make the Mexican carrier the one on that leg. Same type ? I can't see Eastern running more than a DC-9 to Augusta, and Aeronaves had those as well.

If I didn't know better, my thoughts on this one would be much the same as yours, W. You've got both of the airlines right, but the aircraft was a bit larger. Not too many options here when it comes to Aeromexico's Miami flights, most of which continued on across the Atlantic to Madrid and beyond. I'll just go ahead and save you the trouble of a simplistic tap in and post the schedule...

Aeronaves de Mexico AM 450 Mexico City (MEX) 500p – 830p Miami (MIA) DC-8 Dinner Mo We Fr
Eastern Airlines EA 412 Miami (MIA) 1250a-241a Augusta (AGS) DC-8 Saturday only

Eastern also served AGS with a once weekly DC-8 from JFK.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:40 pm

What extraordinary times for a once-weekly US flight. Times more typical of a Channel Airways Comet running Stansted (the old wooden terminal) to Barcelona 12 hours late !

I'll just go ahead and save you the trouble of a simplistic tap in
That's OK, I'm currently sat rather bored in a train rolling through the darkness from Weymouth (SW England) to London Waterloo, taking an extra hour because of being diverted round by Portsmouth.

Last edited by WHBM; Apr 6, 2019 at 2:45 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
OK. Bonus question.

We're at the airport waiting to leave Casablanca, still in 1972. Pan Am used the Rabat airport about 40 miles out, rather than close-in CMN, for its long runway. But we notice on the board that Casablanca also has a NONSTOP flight to another Caribbean island. What airline and aircraft, and where is it going ?
Well, I've given this some thought.....and who in the world would fly nonstop between Morocco and the Caribbean?!

Ah, perhaps the air carrier in question was making an intermediate stop in Morocco with regard to this Caribbean service with the flight thus not originating in Africa.

And this may well have been Aeroflot operating an Ilyushin Il-62 with the stop in Morocco being made in between Moscow and Havana.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
25. Back in the summer of 1972, travelers desiring to leave Jolly Olde England for the sun kissed beaches of Waikiki on Hawaii’s island of Oahu had a choice of three airlines – each of them operating a different type of equipment – at least out of London. One operated the same equipment all the way through to HNL while the other two had a change of equipment at an intermediate stop. Can you identify each of the three airlines, their routing and the equipment type(s) each operated?),

already approved answer

new answer
2. Qantas, LHR - JFK - SFO - HNL and beyond. LHR-SFO 707, SFO - HNL 747
3. TWA, LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL, 747 except LAX - HNL 707
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
1970 ... 14. Working solely from schedules published in the North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.
14-
I came up with four candidates fairly easily, but then realized that the word “jet” doesn’t appear in the question
  1. Air France, Caravelle, the Caribbean island-hopper that terminated in Miami (MIA); last stop Port-Au-Prince (PAP)
  2. CSA Czech Airlines, IL-62, Montreal (YUL) - JFK
  3. BOAC, VC-10, Toronto (YYZ) - Detroit (DTW)
  4. Quebecair, BAC One-Eleven, Quebec (YQB) - Boston (BOS)
so here’s the last one —
5.Trans Canada, Vanguard, Montreal (YUL) - Chicago (ORD)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What extraordinary times for a once-weekly US flight. Times more typical of a Channel Airways Comet running Stansted (the old wooden terminal) to Barcelona 12 hours late !

Indeed. This flight continued on from Augusta to Newark (300a-433a). There was also a southbound EWR-AGS-MIA DC-8 operating Sunday only that departed EWR at 1055p. Can't help but wonder if there might've been an air freight component to these late night flights?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Already approved answer
Correct!

New answer
2. Qantas, LHR - JFK - SFO - HNL and beyond. LHR-SFO 707, SFO - HNL 747
Correct!
3. TWA, LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL, 747 except LAX - HNL 707 Incorrect

Right on, T! Two down, one to go. We now know that the other carrier was not a U.S. airline...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

14. Working solely from schedules published in a 1970 North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.

I came up with four candidates fairly easily, but then realized that the word “jet” doesn’t appear in the question
  1. Air France, Caravelle, Port Au Prince (PAP) to Miami (MIA) Correct! Air France AF 240 Port Au Prince (PAP) 1115a-120p L Miami (MIA) Caravelle Daily
  2. CSA Czech Airlines, IL-62, Montreal (YUL) - JFK Correct! CSA OK 598 Montreal (YUL) 210p-330p New York (JFK) IL62 Monday only
  3. BOAC, VC-10, Toronto (YYZ) - Detroit (DTW) Correct airline & aircraft ~ incorrect route
  4. Quebecair, BAC One-Eleven, Quebec (YQB) - Boston (BOS) Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route
  5. Trans Canada, Vanguard, Montreal (YUL) - Chicago (ORD) Incorrect
Alright, J Man - you're off to a fairly good start here. Quebecair did fly 111s but not yet into the U.S.. Additionally, the fifth aircraft we're looking for was also a jet.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
ition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.

1. Air France, Caravelle, Port Au Prince (PAP) to Miami (MIA) Correct! Air France AF 240 Port Au Prince (PAP) 1115a-120p L Miami (MIA) Caravelle Daily
  2. CSA Czech Airlines, IL-62, Montreal (YUL) - JFK Correct! CSA OK 598 Montreal (YUL) 210p-330p New York (JFK) IL62 Monday only
  3. BOAC, VC-10, Toronto (YYZ) - Detroit (DTW) Correct airline & aircraft ~ incorrect route
  4. Quebecair, BAC One-Eleven, Quebec (YQB) - Boston (BOS) Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route
  5. Trans Canada, Vanguard, Montreal (YUL) - Chicago (ORD) Incorrect
Alright, J Man - you're off to a fairly good start here. Quebecair did fly 111s but not yet into the U.S.. Additionally, the fifth aircraft we're looking for was also a jet.
I'd say the aircraft for #5 is a Comet operated by Mexicana MEX - LAX. That was true until and including 1970 but I'm not sure if long enough for the question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.