Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA
New Horizons

Originally Posted by jlemon
25. You know, I think I overheard some gentlemen the other day leisurely strolling through the DFW Airport discussing "Mur-cn" and their international flight to "Yerp". They were wearing cowboy hats.....
Now you're not going to believe this, but I flew last night on Aer Lingus from Cork to London Heathrow ... and there was a guy in the queue in a cowboy hat. Seriously.

And some may recall that a few pages back we had a discussion about the earliest in-flight magazine, for which I offered New Horizons by Pan Am, back in the late 1930s. Well, on this flight I picked up Cara, the long-running Aer Lingus magazine, and what do I see on the front cover but indeed "New Horizons". Could it be that someone at Aer Lingus read this thread, worked out I would be travelling with them, and had it put on this month's magazine. None of you will believe this, either, so here it is

https://issuu.com/caraaugust

Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2. It's 1961 and you are in New York City. You've just finished up work on a project as a consultant and have been invited to visit with friends at their new beach home in Makaha on the western shore of Oahu in Hawaii. This means a flight to Honolulu is in order. You've found a very convenient departure leaving in the late morning which will arrive into HNL before 8:00 pm. This flight operates six days a week and makes three stops en route. Name the air carrier, the three stops in order and the aircraft type. It wasn't United and the flight did not stop at CLE or SFO although it did originate at JFK and stop at ORD. Equipment was a DC8.

It wasn't United but it was a DC-8... Hmmm.... back in 1961, I believe only three airlines served Hawaii from the U.S. - United, Northwest and Pan Am - all of which operated DC-8s. Pan Am is clearly out as its authority was limited to nonstop flights from the West Coast to Hawaii. And if it wasn't United, that leaves Northwest which did indeed operate redtail DC-8-30s for a short time. Now then, as to the routing - if O'Hare wasn't the second stop, then it must've been the first. So perhaps we're looking at JFK-ORD-SEA-PDX-HNL.
Great job! I was thinking the same thing and was going to post Northwest when I see you did!

20. Also in 1968, an aerospace firm by the name of Unexcelled, the parent company of Aero Spacelines (the maker of the Boeing 377-based Guppy and Super Guppy outsized cargo aircraft), proposed to build a Concorde training aircraft which included the cockpit section of the Concorde with the moveable "droop" nose of the SST being mounted ahead of the flight deck on the nose of the training aircraft airframe. However, the project never came to fruition. What aircraft type was proposed as the airframe for this Concorde trainer?
Convair 580

3. Now it's 1962 and you are in Chicago. A trip to Montreal is on tap for a business meeting. There's a flight offering first class which departs O'Hare in the late afternoon and arrives into Dorval by 9:00 pm. Two stops will be made and you'll be served dinner en route. Identify the airline, the two stops and the equipment.
Trans Canada, stopping in Toronto (YYZ) and Ottawa (YOW).

The plane? This is going to be tough. I am a product of the jet era and have little knowledge of planes before that. In 1962, Trans Canada (later Air Canada) had DC-8's but not that many of them. They would probably use them to Europe and Vancouver, not ORD-YYZ. That leaves propeller planes.

First guess...Vickers Vanguard.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 14, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:04 am

In the early fall of 1993, one airline was operating nonstop service on the weekends between Cork (ORK) and Jersey (JER) located in the Channel Islands. On Saturdays the service was operated with a turboprop while on Sundays the service was operated with a jet. Identify this air carrier and the respective aircraft types it operated on the route.
There's an interesting little conundrum. The logical first answer might be Aer Lingus, but I get the impression that it's a bit more interesting than that. So I'll go for Jersey European, with maybe a Shorts 360 on the Saturday and a BAe146 on the Sunday.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Toshbaf

3. Trans Canada, stopping in Toronto (YYZ) and Ottawa (YOW). The plane? This is going to be tough. I am a product of the jet era and have little knowledge of planes before that. In 1962, Trans Canada (later Air Canada) had DC-8's but not that many of them. They would probably use them to Europe and Vancouver, not ORD-YYZ. That leaves propeller planes. First guess...Vickers Vanguard.

20. Convair 580
3. Yep, it was TCA operating a four engine turboprop manufactured by Vickers. Here's the sched....

TC 602: Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 4:05p - 6:35p Toronto (YYZ) 7:15p - 8:10p Ottawa (YOW) 8:30p - 9:00p Montreal (YUL)
Freq: Daily
Equip: VANGUARD PROPJET
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner YYZ-YOW

20. Indeed, the Convair 580 would have served as the airframe for this proposed Concorde trainer and it would have been an interesting looking airplane:

https://aviationweek.com/commercial-...images-1927521

And speaking of Concorde, here's a bonus quiz item......

In early 1974, a Concorde was sent to an airport for cold weather testing for twelve days. The aircraft remained outside for several nights at this airfield in temperatures as low as minus 44 C. Identify this airport. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 16, 2019 at 4:59 pm Reason: bonus quiz item & answer update
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
There's an interesting little conundrum. The logical first answer might be Aer Lingus, but I get the impression that it's a bit more interesting than that. So I'll go for Jersey European, with maybe a Shorts 360 on the Saturday and a BAe146 on the Sunday.
Jersey European* is correct and the equipment was a BAe 146 on Sundays. However, the Saturday service was not flown with a Short 360 but instead with another turboprop aircraft type. And here's a hint....the airplane in question was manufactured in the UK.

*As noted in a subsequent post below, the air carrier in question wasn't Jersey European; it was actually Manx Airlines (JE). My apologies.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 15, 2019 at 12:28 pm Reason: correction
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:06 pm

Jersey European is correct and the equipment was a BAe 146 on Sundays. However, the Saturday service was not flown with a Short 360 but instead with another turboprop aircraft type. And here's a hint....the airplane in question was manufactured in the UK.
Well I don't think that Jersey had any other British-built turboprops themselves, they had a lot of Fokker F.27s besides the Shorts, but there were a number around for daily lease that the holiday operators picked up just for summer weekends. Jersey had Viscounts from BAF and HS748s from Euroair in previous years - gosh, whatever else did BAF do with Viscounts at the time apart from send them to Jersey and Guernsey for others. Let's go with the Viscount.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 15, 2019 at 12:15 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I don't think that Jersey had any other British-built turboprops themselves, they had a lot of Fokker F.27s besides the Shorts, but there were a number around for daily lease that the holiday operators picked up just for summer weekends. Jersey had Viscounts from BAF and HS748s from Euroair in previous years - gosh, whatever else did BAF do with Viscounts at the time apart from send them to Jersey and Guernsey for others. Let's go with the Viscount.
Ah, apologies are in order here, sir....and when I posed this quiz item, I was going by the two letter airline code: JE, which must stand for "Jersey European", right?

Wrong. JE was the code for Manx Airlines. So armed with that knowledge, I'm sure the aircraft in question, which is smaller than a Viscount, will become readily apparent.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
And speaking of Concorde, here's a bonus quiz item......

In early 1974, a Concorde was sent to an airport for cold weather testing for twelve days. The aircraft remained outside for several nights at this airfield in temperatures as low as minus 44 C. Identify this airport.
I have no real idea but I’ll take a shot anyway. Obviously it was winter, and since you said early 1974, it’s a safe bet it was in the northern hemisphere (really this would have been a safe bet even if you hadn't hinted at the time of year). I’ll rule out Russia/USSR given their relationship with the west back then, and North America due to the distance, which pretty much just leaves Scandinavia. So I’ll guess TOS (Tromso, Norway). Am I close?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

I have no real idea but I’ll take a shot anyway. Obviously it was winter, and since you said early 1974, it’s a safe bet it was in the northern hemisphere (really this would have been a safe bet even if you hadn't hinted at the time of year). I’ll rule out Russia/USSR given their relationship with the west back then, and North America due to the distance, which pretty much just leaves Scandinavia. So I’ll guess TOS (Tromso, Norway). Am I close?
That's a great guess! And we are indeed talking about the northern hemisphere here.

However, the airport in question was not located in Norway. In fact, it wasn't located in Europe.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:23 pm

So armed with that knowledge, I'm sure the aircraft in question, which is smaller than a Viscount, will become readily apparent.
Aha ! Presumably the Awful Turbo Prop.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aha ! Presumably the Awful Turbo Prop.
Ah, just a bit smaller still from those nice folks with the same outfit.....
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Ah, just a bit smaller still from those nice folks with the same outfit.....
“JE” also a hint at “Jetstream?”
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
That's a great guess! And we are indeed talking about the northern hemisphere here.

However, the airport in question was not located in Norway. In fact, it wasn't located in Europe.

Please guess again, sir!
Not in Europe? That’s a bit surprising - I assume Iceland is included in that (and might not even be routinely cold enough), so I’d say it has to be in Greenland or the northern territories of Canada. There aren’t many long, paved runways runways in either, so let's say either THU / BGTL (Thule) or YFB (Iqualuit, formerly Frobisher Bay).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

“JE” also a hint at “Jetstream?”
Yep....but what model Jetstream?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

Not in Europe? That’s a bit surprising - I assume Iceland is included in that (and might not even be routinely cold enough), so I’d say it has to be in Greenland or the northern territories of Canada. There aren’t many long, paved runways runways in either, so let's say either THU / BGTL (Thule) or YFB (Iqualuit, formerly Frobisher Bay).
Well, we are looking for just one specific location here and thus not an "either/or" answer....

However, we can also safely say the airport in question wasn't located at Iqaluit or Thule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.