Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: FB Platinum
At last, I have time to peruse my favourite quiz page again. Since I got back from my New Year trip I've hardly had time to breathe. At my age I should be taking it easy...

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

I was in Majorca around this time, catching the end of season sunshine before another grey and miserable skin whitening Manchester winter. Problem is I can't remember the airline but am fairly sure I came home on a Boeing 737. I recollect a return from somewhere on Air Europe but I suspect this one was with Britannia. Perhaps it was the previous year, memory fades you see...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

TWA also got a Florida route as part of the 1958 award, a bit to the west, routing St Louis-Nashville-Atlanta-Tampa-Miami, which at first they always operated through from St Louis along their existing line westward to California, but later cut back on doing this. Right up to deregulation, and indeed beyond, Northwest and TWA were a bit of an also-ran for Florida traffic compared to Eastern and Delta.

Given these conditions, TWA for example could route like that, they could tie Miami to St Louis onto their longstanding St Louis to San Francisco, but could not do Miami to San Francisco (or other of their intermediate points) nonstop, they had to go through St Louis. They could have also done Miami-St Louis-Chicago, as they already had St Louis to Chicago, but chose not to do so. They could not do Miami to Chicago nonstop.
We had a quiz question concerning TWA's Miami service in 1960 awhile back. TWA was operating two daily departures from Miami in the spring of that year, one with a Boeing 707-131 and the other with a Lockheed Constellation model the airline called the "Jetstream".

TW 77 operated with a 707 departed MIA daily at 8:30 am, arrived into STL at 11:05 am and then departed at 11:40 am arriving into LAX at 1:20 pm. This was the only morning jet service from Miami to St. Louis and Los Angeles at the time.

The TWA Constellation flight departed MIA at 5:45 pm, made stops at TPA, ATL, STL, MKC and LAX and then arrived into SFO at 7:44 am the next day.

The only other service from Florida to California back in 1960 was provided by a three airline interchange arrangement operated by National, Delta and American. We had a quiz question in the past concerning this service as well. Together, the three air carriers operated one daily jet flight from Miami to Los Angeles using a Boeing 707 provided by AA. Flight 931 operated by a National flight crew departed MIA at 7:30 pm and arrived into MSY at 8:10 pm. A Delta flight crew then took over with the service departing MSY at 8:50 pm and arriving into Dallas Love Field (DAL) at 10:10 pm. An American flight crew then took the flight the rest of the way to Los Angeles with flight 931 departing DAL at 10:40 pm and arriving into LAX at 11:45 pm.

National, Delta and American were also operating three other westbound interchange services a day in 1960 from Florida to California flown with Douglas piston powered equipment. There were two DC-7 flights, one operating Miami - Orlando - New Orleans - Dallas Love - Los Angeles and the other operating Miami - Tampa - New Orleans - Dallas Love - Oakland - San Francisco. The interchange points were once again New Orleans and Dallas. The third interchange service was flown with a DC-6 operating Miami - Tampa - New Orleans - Fort Worth - El Paso - San Diego - Los Angeles. The interchange points on this flight were New Orleans and Fort Worth.

So if one wanted to fly on board a jet from Miami to Los Angeles at this time, there were only two flights a day, one wholly operated by TWA and the other by National, Delta and American via their interchange arrangement.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
in 1960 was provided by a three airline interchange arrangement operated by National, Delta and American. We had a quiz question in the past concerning this service as well. Together, the three air carriers operated one daily jet flight from Miami to Los Angeles using a Boeing 707 provided by AA. Flight 931 operated by a National flight crew departed MIA at 7:30 pm and arrived into MSY at 8:10 pm. A Delta flight crew then took over with the service departing MSY at 8:50 pm and arriving into Dallas Love Field (DAL) at 10:10 pm. An American flight crew then took the flight the rest of the way to Los Angeles with flight 931 departing DAL at 10:40 pm and arriving into LAX at 11:45 pm..
I wonder how this worked. The CAB would normally only allow "Interchange" flights where they were handled by the crews of each carrier on the appropriate sector, on their Air Operators' Certificate. This meant they needed fully trained crews on the aircraft, check airmen, and all the necessary procedures. American had the 707 but the other two didn't. Other Interchange arrangements had to use the equipment that all parties possessed and knew.

In the case of the National-Pan Am-Panagra interchange flights to South America, because National did not have the 707 it had to be on a DC8. Panagra got some of the original Pan Am fleet for this, later replaced by their own DC8s, and when Pan Am disposed of most of the DC8s they had to keep a few on to keep their currency up, and also maintain a small DC8 crew base at Miami, where their original DC8 fleet had mostly been crewed out of New York.

On the Miami to LA flight, in prop aircraft days it was no problem, because all three participants had DC7s.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I wonder how this worked. The CAB would normally only allow "Interchange" flights where they were handled by the crews of each carrier on the appropriate sector, on their Air Operators' Certificate. This meant they needed fully trained crews on the aircraft, check airmen, and all the necessary procedures. American had the 707 but the other two didn't. Other Interchange arrangements had to use the equipment that all parties possessed and knew.

In the case of the National-Pan Am-Panagra interchange flights to South America, because National did not have the 707 it had to be on a DC8. Panagra got some of the original Pan Am fleet for this, later replaced by their own DC8s, and when Pan Am disposed of most of the DC8s they had to keep a few on to keep their currency up, and also maintain a small DC8 crew base at Miami, where their original DC8 fleet had mostly been crewed out of New York.
It certainly sounds like an expensive proposition to me specifically with regard to National and Delta having to train air crew and then keep some of their respective pilots current, etc. concerning the 707. Perhaps the two airlines were willing to bear this cost in order to provide jet service between MIA and LAX. I have the feeling their marketing departments got involved with the decision making process in order to remain competitive with the TWA Florida - California jet service. I have a friend who is a check airman and training Captain on the 777 for American so I'll ask him about this next time I see him.....although when I mention "interchange", I may indeed get a blank stare.

And speaking of Pan Am and their DC-8 equipment, I think they kept several DC-8s around as well for the Delta - Pan Am interchange service between the U.S. and Europe.

Of course, I just happen to have those eastbound Delta - Pan Am interchange schedules from a 1969 Delta system timetable.....

DL/PA 106: New Orleans (MSY) 1:20p - 3:32p Atlanta (ATL) 4:20p - 5:58p Washington Dulles (IAD) 7:00p - 7:05a London Heathrow (LHR) 8:30a - 9:45a Frankfurt (FRA)
Freq: Daily
Equip: JET DC-8
Service classes: F/Y

DL/PA 52: New Orleans (MSY) 2:30p - 5:47p Washington Dulles (IAD) 6:45p - 8:15p Boston (BOS) 9:00p - 8:35a Paris Orly (ORY)
Freq: Daily
Equip: JET DC-8
Service classes: F/Y

Note that passengers originating in Atlanta bound for Paris had to change planes at Washington Dulles.

I am unsure whether local traffic was permitted from New Orleans to Boston or from Washington Dulles to Boston. Delta was not serving BOS at this time; however, the DL timetable does not make any note concerning any possible traffic restrictions between MSY/IAD and BOS. Pan Am crews operated flight 52 from IAD to BOS so perhaps local traffic was not permitted as PA was prohibited from providing domestic service at this time with several exceptions (such as between the U.S. west coast and Hawaii as well as between Portland/Seattle and Fairbanks).

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 15, 2019 at 1:05 pm Reason: added DL/PA interchange scheds
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA
And speaking of Pan Am and their DC-8 equipment, I think they kept several DC-8s around as well for the Delta - Pan Am interchange service between the U.S. and Europe.
Once they got into the swing of Boeing 707 deliveries in the 1960s, Pan Am kept the DC8s to specific routes, although for some reason they were always extremely coy about types in their timetables, and just said "Jet". I believe 1960s OAGs were more specific. The DC8s mainly out of New York were commonly assigned to Scandinavia, Africa, and about half the flights to London. The Delta interchange through Washington was handled by these Pan Am crews working back from London. For half the year it was a Pan Am aircraft, and the other half it was a Delta one, otherwise an unusual sight in London. That was another expense of interchange flights, because the Delta aircraft had to have the full rig of over-ocean liferafts, which like most US domestic operators they did not otherwise need - crossing the Caribbean is too short for these requirements to take effect, although California to Hawaii requires it.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosensfole
At last, I have time to peruse my favourite quiz page again. Since I got back from my New Year trip I've hardly had time to breathe. At my age I should be taking it easy...
Welcome back rosensfole! And concerning age, I certainly resemble your remark....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once they got into the swing of Boeing 707 deliveries in the 1960s, Pan Am kept the DC8s to specific routes, although for some reason they were always extremely coy about types in their timetables, and just said "Jet".....
Indeed, and that always bugged me as I wanted to know what the specific equipment was!

Interestingly, in a departure from their normal practice of not listing specific aircraft types, Pan Am did so in their June 1969 system timetable...

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...69/pa69-03.jpg

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...69/pa69-04.jpg

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 15, 2019 at 1:48 pm Reason: fixed the link
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.
The airline is Air UK. Still looking for an aircraft type...

I'm just wondering if this is in the interval after AirUK got rid of the F28 and before they got the BAe146, in which case it would be when they leased a couple of One-Elevens from British Island.

Excellent recall there, WHBM! You are indeed correct! Air UK operated two flights in each direction most days

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S. (prior to the jet age), it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Nińa, the Pinta, and the Santa María after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.

OK, one for logic. Carrier started to the USA before the jet era, and had "other" long distance routes, so this one was long distance. Columbus, although Italian, was sponsored by the King of Spain. Iberia started flying to the USA in the 1950s with the Lockheed Super Constellation. They initially had three of them ...

WHBM, when it comes to logic and anything related to the airline history past and present, your powers of deduction are unparalleled. Iberia is indeed the airline we're looking for. ^^
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?

Something tells me we are not talking about a major air carrier here but rather a recent start up...... So let's go with Midway Airlines operating an MD-87 with a routing of Denver (DEN) - Chicago Midway (MDW) - Miami (MIA) - St. Thomas (STT).

Right airline, wrong aircraft. Still, it's such an obvious tap in at this point, let's go ahead and close this one out. Here's the schedule:

Midway Airlines ML 780 Denver (DEN) 1015a-135p Lunch Chicago (MDW) 215p-615p Snack Miami (MIA) 645p-920p Dinner St. Thomas (STT) 737-200 Daily
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Off topic, do you know what airlines flew between Miami and Chicago O'Hare in 1968?
Delta, Eastern and Northwest
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
for some reason they were always extremely coy about types in their timetables, and just said "Jet". I believe 1960s OAGs were more specific.
I'd swear that Cathay Pacific used "JET" in their timetables into the '90s and possibly '00s. I recall some having had the pleasure to find themselves in int'l FC seats when a 3 CoS a/c was used.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

!

Originally Posted by rosensfole
7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

I was in Majorca around this time, catching the end of season sunshine before another grey and miserable skin whitening Manchester winter. Problem is I can't remember the airline but am fairly sure I came home on a Boeing 737. I recollect a return from somewhere on Air Europe but I suspect this one was with Britannia. Perhaps it was the previous year, memory fades you see...

Welcome home, Mr. R! If you're at all like me, I suspect that your love of travel is hardwired into your DNA. As such, you can always spend plenty of time "taking it easy" at your destination de jour. Where to next?

As to the question at hand, I'm pleased to report that your memory serves you well - Britannia was indeed the airline of record, operating a 737-200 no less. Here's the schedule:

Britannia BY 701 Palma (PMI) 125p-300p Manchester (MAN) Boeing 737-200 Sat only
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per WHBM: For some reason they were always extremely coy about types in their timetables, and just said "Jet". I believe 1960s OAGs were more specific.

Per YVR Cockroach: I'd swear that Cathay Pacific used "JET" in their timetables into the '90s and possibly '00s. I recall some having had the pleasure to find themselves in int'l FC seats when a 3 CoS a/c was used.

Per Seat 2A: Alaska Airlines also did this through the early 70s. Seems like during the 60s the 880s were always indicated as such, though I've yet to ever see a 990 listed in Alaska's schedules. Into the early 1970s, more often than not the aircraft would've been a 727-100 but there were those 720s as well....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just three and a half more questions left. Let's finish these off before I head overseas next week...

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?
A N S W E R E D

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba
ALM & BWIA identified. It's not VIASA. Still need one more...

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.
ASE via UAE with a BAe-146-100 and HDN via AA with a 727-200 have been identified.
Vail/Eagle has been identified. We need the airline/aircraft that served it from LAX.
That airline was not AA, CO, DL or ET
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 16, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba.
22- Air Aruba and ALM would seem to be obvious choices; I think BWIA may have also served AUA on the way to/from Port of Spain (POS) and Antigua (ANU) ...
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.
ASE via UAE with a BAe-146-100 and HDN via AA with a 727-200 have been identified.
Vail/Eagle has been identified. We need the airline/aircraft that served it from LAX.
25- I had initially guessed Montrose (MTJ) with a Continental 737-500; the airport was incorrect, but in the absence of feedback as to airline or equipment I will proffer that again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.