Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by WHBM
...so I ended up with an Avis Ford for the trip, which involved several places along the way.

No comparison ... and Avis don't provide an ice scraper.
the trip involved several places along the way, or the Avis Ford involved several places along the way?
(sorry, the literalist in me couldn't resist ...)
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I'm not Mr. T

Sorry - casual shortcut. Different Mr. T...

But how about Edinburgh/Turnhouse - Amsterdam/Schiphol on Air UK, Fokker F27?

Right airline, wrong aircraft. You're halfway home!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here again, at least two of my travel pals are already at the airport in Missoula, trying to get to Chicago. Being late in the game, I defy conventional logic (Northwest and Delta) and run to a different ticket counter...

Continental Airlines, Boeing 727-200, Missoula - Bozeman - Denver - Chicago O'Hare.

Will the Continental Airlines ticket counter sell me a ticket??? I'm somewhat sure they will but Bozeman is a wild theory (Continental had service to Bozeman and Missoula for not very long then exited the market. Maybe one was a tag end?)

Looks like you made the flight, Toshbaf! Continental it is. Here's the schedule:

Continental CO 214 Missoula (MSO) 740a-826a Bozeman (BZN) 845a-1015a S Denver (DEN) 1104a-228p L Chicago (ORD) 727-200 X7
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jrl767
the trip involved several places along the way, or the Avis Ford involved several places along the way?
(sorry, the literalist in me couldn't resist ...)
Ah well, in English English (as opposed to those who have been allowed to borrow it ), such comma separated depndent clauses refer back to the nearest noun where there are multiple ones in the main clause. Which is trip.

And the places involved Lincoln on the way out, and Rugby on the return. Smaller British places. But here can be a Bonus Question. Because the hotel near Rugby, the Dun Cow in Dunchurch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunchurch , a classic Old English place several hundred years old which used to handle stagecoaches, (and completely removed in style from the dreary Birmingham Hilton National),it appears in the local book "Tom Brown's Schooldays" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brown%27s_School_Days , set in 1820 which is well known to generations of British teenage schoolboys in English class (see above). I got to know it while doing a major project nearby about 15 years ago. It normally has only a handful of people staying overnight.

But back then quite a number of the overnight guests there were leaving very early to what was then the nearest airport, where quite a scheduled service operation was being mounted to Europe. This lasted only a few years, mostly by one operator, although a second one joined them for a while. So the question is, which airport, what was the major operator there (now gone), and what aircraft type did they use. Those passengers aren't around the hotel any more.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 15, 2019 at 12:28 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

At that time, this route would be flooded with holiday flights multi times a day, which had pretty much zapped any prospect of schedules. Who would stick just one on ? I'll go for Iberia with a 727-200.

You would think so, wouldn't you? Winter... a city the size of Manchester... and yet from Palma in 1986 there was just one nonstop flight per week. It was not with Iberia, and the aircraft was not a 727. I expect you'll make short work of this one on your second go...

By the way, I was up in Manchester on Monday evening. Didn't rain, but car all iced over in the morning. And for those who recall my post from my car broken down by Parliament Square in London at 10pm last Friday, finally got home at 2am on the back of the RAC (think AAA) recovery truck.

Sorry to hear about your automotive woes. I remember when the blower motor on my interior/windshield heater went out at -55°F. Thankfully I was only about 20 miles from a dealer who was able to get me back on the road that afternoon - $425.00 lighter in the wallet. Here's to a breakdown free rest of the year - and beyond!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're over halfway there. Let's finish these off before I head overseas next week...

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?
The airline we're looking for was not from North America or Europe

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.
A N S W E R E D

10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.
A N S W E R E D

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba

23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?
A N S W E R E D

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.
ASE via UAE with a BAe-146-100 and HDN via AA with a 727-200 have been identified.
Vail/Eagle has been identified. We need the airline/aircraft that served it from LAX.

Miscellaneous Questions

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S. (prior to the jet age), it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa María after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 15, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?

Condor, to... FRA?

I'm sorry, YVR - I missed this one. That said, the airline we're looking for is not from Europe. I recall postcards of Condor DC-8s of the -50 and -70 variants. Were these short term leases? I thought most of Condor's aircraft came from parent Lufthansa, not a regular DC-8 customer...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:22 pm

I recall postcards of Condor DC-8s of the -50 and -70 variants. Were these short term leases? I thought most of Condor's aircraft came from parent Lufthansa, not a regular DC-8 customer...
However, Lufthansa had a cargo division, which in the 1980s-90s was called German Cargo. They bought several DC8-73F freighters which had once been with Flying Tiger before their engines were converted. In the mid-1990s this got renamed to Lufthansa Cargo. Every summer they put seats in one and leased it out to Condor for a few months, and it supplemented the main Condor fleet from Frankfurt and Dusseldorf to various points. Don't recall them doing Montego Bay though.

as Lufthansa :
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=D-...2YB2vSKE4y1vlM:

as Condor :

10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.
The airline is Air UK. Still looking for an aircraft type...
I'm just wondering if this is in the interval after AirUK got rid of the F28 and before they got the BAe146, in which case it would be when they leased a couple of One-Elevens from British Island.

Incidentally, in those times the Edinburgh New Year was no different to any other Scottish place, still very much a domestic thing where after midnight you "first footed" to your neighbours and nearby friends, having of course a drink at each.

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S. (prior to the jet age), it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa María after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.
OK, one for logic. Carrier started to the USA before the jet era, and had "other" long distance routes, so this one was long distance. Columbus, although Italian, was sponsored by the King of Spain. Iberia started flying to the USA in the 1950s with the Lockheed Super Constellation. They initially had three of them ...

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 14, 2019 at 4:49 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?
23. Something tells me we are not talking about a major air carrier here but rather a recent start up......

So let's go with Midway Airlines operating an MD-87 with a routing of Denver (DEN) - Chicago Midway (MDW) - Miami (MIA) - St. Thomas (STT).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

The airline is Air UK. Still looking for an aircraft type...
BAC One Eleven 400

The route is actually Aberdeen - Edinburgh - Amsterdam.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:52 pm
Suspended

It's neither American nor a 727-200
Looks like some travel pals are snooping around American. I'm rushing off to a different ticket counter....

DEN - MDW - MIA - STT on Midway Airlines on a MD-87. This first class caveat is disturbing, however, which might send me to another carrier. ML had sort of all First Class economy 2+2 seating at one point.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Oops, 3 posts up is the same Midway answer as I gave.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Off topic, do you know what airlines flew between Miami and Chicago O'Hare in 1968?

United - probably not
American - probably not
TWA - probably not
Pan Am - probably not
Braniff - probably not
Eastern - probably yes
Delta - probably not
National - don't think so
Northwest Orient - very unlikely
Western - very unlikely
Allegheny - very unlikely
Northeast - probably not
North Central - very unlikely
Southern - very unlikely
PSA, Air California, Alaska, Air West (later Hughes Airwest) - very unlikely
Continental - probably not

So Eastern alone???
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
here’s a page from the Apr 1969 Delta timetable that shows a Convair 880 operating ORD-MIA

and another from August 1966 showing a DC-8

and Northwest from July 1968 with a 720B

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 14, 2019 at 11:24 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:43 am

Off topic, do you know what airlines flew between Miami and Chicago O'Hare in 1968?
Eastern - probably yes
Delta - probably not
Northwest Orient - very unlikely
So Eastern alone???
US airline routes up to Deregulation in 1978 broadly followed the structure laid down by the Air Mail routes assigned in the early 1930s, and in fact even to this day their various hubs still mostly lie along those pioneer routes. The different Air Mail routes were given out rather like long railway lines, in a straight-ish direction with copious intermediate stops. They were allowed, without needing extra permission, to nonstop places along the way, as long as they separately served all the intermediate points as well, which is why the transcontinental airlines, given routes stopping every few hundred miles, were eventually able to do coast-to-coast nonstops on their own initiative when aircraft of adequate capability came along.

Eastern was indeed the original Air Mail operator on Chicago to Miami, stopping all along the line, and at the end of WW2 Delta was given a similar route, going through different intermediate points (including Cincinnati, later significant for them). Both went through Atlanta, where for a long time Eastern was far more dominant than Delta, who had for some years just had an east-west Air Mail through there, from the Atlantic seaboard to Texas. Plenty of through flights, but nonstops from Chicago to Miami were few and far between until the 1960s.

In 1958 the CAB, who gave out the licences, had a "route case" along this corridor, feeling the two carriers underserved the market. As normal, just about every carrier around applied for it. They chose Northwest, who had never operated in this direction before, and also routed them through Atlanta. It was well into the jet era before all three ran nonstops the full length. TWA also got a Florida route as part of the 1958 award, a bit to the west, routing St Louis-Nashville-Atlanta-Tampa-Miami, which at first they always operated through from St Louis along their existing line westward to California, but later cut back on doing this. Right up to deregulation, and indeed beyond, Northwest and TWA were a bit of an also-ran for Florida traffic compared to Eastern and Delta.

Given these conditions, TWA for example could route like that, they could tie Miami to St Louis onto their longstanding St Louis to San Francisco, but could not do Miami to San Francisco (or other of their intermediate points) nonstop, they had to go through St Louis. They could have also done Miami-St Louis-Chicago, as they already had St Louis to Chicago, but chose not to do so. They could not do Miami to Chicago nonstop.
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 15, 2019 at 4:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.