Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

19. Right on! The boss has finally given the green light for you to attend next week’s International Electronics Symposium being held this year in Minneapolis. A quick call to Northwest reveals that each of its three nonstops between Orange Country and MSP are completely sold out – even in First Class. Well dang! The prospect of driving the 405 up to LAX is never a pleasant one, so you’re thrilled to discover a single First Class seat available aboard a direct 2-stop flight out of SNA, arriving MSP the night before the show. Now if you can just find a hotel! In the meantime, identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
19. Well, the routing for the flight in question meant more time in the air.....but the upside may have been better first class treatment (I was never very impressed with the front cabin service on NW even on their DC-10 nonstop between Memphis and Amsterdam some years ago).

I think we are talking about Jet America here operating an MD-80 on routing of Orange County (SNA) - Portland (PDX) - Seattle (SEA) - Minneapolis/St/ Paul (MSP).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
This dude was the grandfather of a good friend of mine. He (my friend) knew of his involvement in the airline business but not the specifics. My friend told me his grandfather was also down in Argentina.
I believe Lowell Yerex also founded Aerovias Brasil which eventually became part of VARIG following subsequent mergers and acquisitions.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
May I ask a question that I don't have the answer?

It is 1984. One wants to travel nonstop from IAH-SFO. What airlines fly, what plane, and how many daily flights.
Here's the schedule between Houston and San Francisco from early autumn, 1984

UA 357 700a-845a 72S B Daily
PA 711 900a-1040a 72S B Daily
EA 205 900A-1049a 727 B Daily
CO 103 1000a-1147a 72S B X7
CO 139 300p-447p 72S L/S Daily
UA 321 340p-525p 72S D Daily
EA 069 550p-737p 72S D Daily
CO 117 600p-747p 72S D 3457
CO 105 800p-947p 72S S Daily
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by strickerj
24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737. United, Delta and Eastern are also out, but the 727-200 is the correct aircraft.

Hmm, my guess was Delta via ATL, then AA via MIA when that turned out wrong. Eastern via ATL or MIA would have made sense too but they were (just barely) gone by then. Pan Am would last until the end of the year though, and didn’t they have a fleet of 727s for Latin America and the Caribbean? I don’t recall them having much/any domestic service but maybe they did operate some feeder flights to their international hubs.

YES! Pan Am is correct! Truth be told, I can't imagine any other options but it might have been interesting to see what was proffered had you not submitted PA. Here's the schedule:

Pan Am PA 232 Cancun (CUN) 300p-525p S Miami (MIA) 700p-1000p D New York (LGA) 727-200 Daily
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
19. Right on! The boss has finally given the green light for you to attend next week’s International Electronics Symposium being held this year in Minneapolis. A quick call to Northwest reveals that each of its three nonstops between Orange Country and MSP are completely sold out – even in First Class. Well dang! The prospect of driving the 405 up to LAX is never a pleasant one, so you’re thrilled to discover a single First Class seat available aboard a direct 2-stop flight out of SNA, arriving MSP the night before the show. Now if you can just find a hotel! In the meantime, identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Well, the routing for the flight in question meant more time in the air.....but the upside may have been better first class treatment (I was never very impressed with the front cabin service on NW even on their DC-10 nonstop between Memphis and Amsterdam some years ago). I think we are talking about Jet America here operating an MD-80 on routing of Orange County (SNA) - Portland (PDX) - Seattle (SEA) - Minneapolis/St/ Paul (MSP).

Correct! Here's the schedule:

Jet America SI 403 Orange County (SNA) 1040a-110p L Portland (PDX) 140p-220p Seattle (SEA) 300p-810p D Minneapolis (MSP) DC-9-80 Daily
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
YES! Pan Am is correct! Truth be told, I can't imagine any other options but it might have been interesting to see what was proffered had you not submitted PA. Here's the schedule:

Pan Am PA 232 Cancun (CUN) 300p-525p SMiami (MIA) 700p-1000p D New York (LGA) 727-200 Daily
I think the only U.S. or Mexico-based 727-operator that hadn’t been guessed at that point was Northwest, and that wouldn’t really make sense for a stop at MIA.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I think the only U.S. or Mexico-based 727-operator that hadn’t been guessed at that point was Northwest, and that wouldn’t really make sense for a stop at MIA.
USAir too but it would have only made slghtly more sense than NW. Did US operate into Latin America in that era?
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting to note that Northwest did fly nonstop between Cancun and Tampa during the late 1980's.....
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're over halfway there. Let's finish these off before I head overseas next week...

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?
The airline we're looking for was not from North America

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.
It's not PSA or Frontier. Nor is it an MD80 or a 737 of any type

18. Who’d have ever thought there one day be direct daily 1-stop service between St. Maarten and Detroit? Well there is now. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

21. The recent commencement of a new 2-stop direct flight between Missoula and Chicago is great news since you have to fly back to the home office at least five times a year. At last! No more long layovers enroute. And better yet, you’ll be served a snack and a lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba

23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.
ASE via UAE with a BAe-146-100 and HDN via AA with a 727-200 have been identified.
Vail/Eagle has been identified. We need the airline/aircraft that served it from LAX.

27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

Miscellaneous Questions

31. What was the first European airline to be awarded a 5-Star rating for its overall service from the international air transport rating organization, Skytrax? (Only 9 airlines currently enjoy this distinction)

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S., it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Nińa, the Pinta, and the Santa María after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 12, 2019 at 11:27 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
USAir too but it would have only made slightly more sense than NW. Did US operate into Latin America in that era?
A casual perusal of what '91 schedules I have access to does not reflect any service by US Air south of the border.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
We're over halfway there. Let's finish these off before I head overseas next week...

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?
Wild guess. Air Canada flying to YYZ.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A casual perusal of what '91 schedules I have access to does not reflect any service by US Air south of the border.
Yep, I did not see any USAir service to Mexico as well in the early 90's. And besides Canada, it looks like the only other international service flown by US at this time was to Bermuda and Nassau in this hemisphere as well as to London, Paris, and Frankfurt in Europe. I also thought they might have been serving Grand Cayman at the same time; however, it appears their GCM service was actually flown by Cayman Airways on a code sharing basis.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 12, 2019 at 5:57 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.
It's not PSA, nor is it an MD80.
16- how about Frontier, operating a 737-200 via Palm Springs (PSP) and Denver (DEN)
27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.
The airline is America West with a 737-200. We're still looking for the enroute stop.
27- Omaha (OMA) perhaps?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Here's the schedule between Houston and San Francisco from early autumn, 1984

UA 357 700a-845a 72S B Daily
PA 711 900a-1040a 72S B Daily
EA 205 900A-1049a 727 B Daily
CO 103 1000a-1147a 72S B X7
CO 139 300p-447p 72S L/S Daily
UA 321 340p-525p 72S D Daily
EA 069 550p-737p 72S D Daily
CO 117 600p-747p 72S D 3457
CO 105 800p-947p 72S S Daily
Thanks! How things have changed. As one can see above, Pan Am's single flight was to feed the Pacific routes. United had one flight to beef up the SFO hub but had not started Pacific routes other than its SEA-HKG flight. Eastern had a small hub with 2 flights. Continental had 3-4 daily flights. Note that CO doesn't have an early morning flight, the first flight being at 10 am.

Look at 2019
UA 725a-955a 737-800
UA 935a-1235p 737MAX9
UA 950a-1250p 737-800
UA 1220p-250p 737MAX9
UA 220p-445p 737-800
UA 439p-704p 737-900
UA 615p-827p 787-8
UA 740p-1005p 737-900
UA 805p-1030p 737-800

Look at the elapsed time. All longer. Before it was under 4 hours (appears like 2 hours but there's a difference in time zone). In 2019, they are all longer than 4 hours (appears like 2 hours due to time zone differences). Before 8-9 flights per day. In 2019, 9 flights a day. Before all 727-200 (or 727-200 Advanced). Now mostly 737-800/900/MAX9, which are slightly larger and one 787-8.

Before, lower fares were with a Saturday night stay and round trip on the same airline, which may limit your choices given that neither CO, EA, UA, or PA had flights throughout the day. Now, some airlines have low one way fares but it varies with the route. Before, meals. Now, only if you pay and often not hot.

Seat 2A, could you look up the same period and let me know what time the EA SFO-IAH return flights were?
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

I'm late to the airport (late to the game) but I will be running towards the gate trying to get in front of my colleagues already near the gate. I am heading to....

America West, 737-200 enroute stop at COS Colorado Springs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.