Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737

CUN-Chicago O’Hare (ORD)-LGA, United, 727-200

I like it. And think of all the extra miles routing through Chicago! Oh wait - it's a thru-flight. Anyway, it doesn't matter. As nice as United sounds, it is not the airline we're looking for. However, the aircraft of record is a 727-200. You're getting ever closer, J. I expect closure in the very near future. Good luck! ^
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
4. You’re off to Belize City for a week of diving at Roatan. Life could hardly get any better but it does when you’re informed that the flight taking you from Miami down to Belize City is operated with widebody equipment. What airline will you be flying on and what is the equipment?This is a really tough question. If I'm wrong again, I'll have to think about it for a few days. Until then...

Rich International, Lockheed L-1011. Now remember that airline! It flew to several cities from MIA.

I remember Rich International as well. If I remember correctly though, Rich didn't acquire its ex-Eastern L-1011s until 1992. Regardless, Rich is not the airline we're looking for here. It was another airline operating an aircraft different than an L-1011. Please, do have another go at this one! ^
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.

Some rather wild guesses here:
1. Aspen (ASE), Air Wisconsin / United Express, BAe 146-300 Aspen is correct. United Express is correct. Air Wisconsin is not, which means a different variant of the 146
2. Montrose / Gunnison / Telluride (MTJ), Continental, 737-500 Montrose is incorrect
3. Hayden / Steamboat Springs (SBS), American, 757
Hayden is correct, as is American. The 757-200 is incorrect, however.

Way to wade in and tackle the tough ones, JL! All we need is a bit of touch-up on ASE & HDN as well as that other ski-area and it's particulars. You can do it! ^
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Moving right along here...

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro

4. You’re off to Belize City for a week of diving at Roatan. Life could hardly get any better but it does when you’re informed that the flight taking you from Miami down to Belize City is operated with widebody equipment. What airline will you be flying on and what is the equipment?
A N S W E R E D

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

15. Identify the seven airlines that serve Las Vegas with all-economy configured jet flights
A N S W E R E D

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.

18. Who’d have ever thought there one day be direct daily 1-stop service between St. Maarten and Detroit? Well there is now. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

19. Right on! The boss has finally given the green light for you to attend next week’s International Electronics Symposium being held this year in Minneapolis. A quick call to Northwest reveals that each of its three nonstops between Orange Country and MSP are completely sold out – even in First Class. Well dang! The prospect of driving the 405 up to LAX is never a pleasant one, so you’re thrilled to discover a single First Class seat available aboard a direct 2-stop flight out of SNA, arriving MSP the night before the show. Now if you can just find a hotel! In the meantime, identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

21. The recent commencement of a new 2-stop direct flight between Missoula and Chicago is great news since you have to fly back to the home office at least five times a year. At last! No more long layovers enroute. And better yet, you’ll be served a snack and a lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba

23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?

24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737. United and Eastern are also out, but the 727-200 is the correct aircraft.

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.
ASE via UAE with a BAe-146-100 and HDN via AA with a 727-200 have been identified.
Vail/Eagle has been identified. We need the airline/aircraft that served it from LAX.

27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.

Miscellaneous Questions

31. What was the first European airline to be awarded a 5-Star rating for its overall service from the international air transport rating organization, Skytrax? (Only 9 airlines currently enjoy this distinction)

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S., it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Nińa, the Pinta, and the Santa María after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 11, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737. United is also out, but the 727-200 is the correct aircraft.
EA?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
24. Some rather wild guesses here:
1. Aspen (ASE), Air Wisconsin / United Express, BAe 146-300 Aspen is correct. United Express is correct. Air Wisconsin is not, which means a different variant of the 146
2. Montrose / Gunnison / Telluride (MTJ), Continental, 737-500 Montrose is incorrect
3. Hayden / Steamboat Springs (SBS), American, 757
Hayden is correct, as is American. The 757-200 is incorrect, however.
24-
1. “different variant” means the -200, so we have to be looking at Aspen Air prior to the Air Wis (ZW) merger
2. Vail / Eagle (EGE) — I’ll offer that this was the ZW 146-300
3. only two other AA narrow-body options here, 727-200 and (more likely) MD-80
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Moving right along here...

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

15. Identify the seven airlines that serve Las Vegas with all-economy configured jet flights
Identified so far: Southwest, American Trans Air, America West, Private Jet Expeditions (5J), Morris Air and Midwest Express. Just one more left!
3. I can just hear the late TV sportscaster Howard Cosell saying, "It's the horror in Koror!" But no, I don't think Howard ever said that (he did say "The thrill-ah in Manila") as I do not believe there has ever been a major international sporting event broadcast live from Palau. I wonder how the surfing is there....

However, I wander from my theme. And I keep thinking this may have been Air Nauru operating a B737-200 on a routing of Koror - Nauru - Majuro - Honolulu.

15. One more to go, eh? Perhaps this was a rather obscure air carrier by the name of Express One International which I think operated B727-200 equipment in all-coach configuration.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 11, 2019 at 10:50 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737. United is also out, but the 727-200 is the correct aircraft.

EA?

Welcome to the quiz, Dr. H! I hope we'll see more of you in the coming months. ^

This is proving to be quite the tough question. All of the airlines proffered thus far could have easily been the correct answer had the time frame for this question been just a month or two different on either side. As it is though, we're talking the spring of 1991. Sadly, Eastern stopped flying for good at midnight Saturday, January 19, 1991. On a positive note, there are not too many options left. I see this question being correctly answered very soon. Please, do guess again!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ASE via UAE and HDN via AA have been identified

1. “Different variant” means the -200, so we have to be looking at Aspen Air prior to the Air Wis (ZW) merger (What airport are you referring to specifically? Aspen?)

On the assumption you are referring to Aspen, we are looking at Aspen Airways (The World's Fastest Chairlift) operating on behalf of United Express, which means the aircraft variant was a -100. Here's the flight:

United Express UA 3780 Los Angeles (LAX) 700a-1005a Aspen (ASE) BAe-146-100 Daily X3

2. Vail / Eagle (EGE) — I’ll offer that this was the ZW 146-300

Vail/ Eagle is one of the airports we're looking for, but it was not served by United or any of its affiliates.

3. Only two other AA narrow-body options here (Steamboat Springs), 727-200 and (more likely) MD-80

It was not the MD-80. In fact, outside of Denver, Colorado Springs and Grand Junction, the MD80 was rarely seen at the mountain airports serving Colorado ski areas. I believe AA once flew one into Durango for awhile) Perhaps those little wings didn't provide enough lift for the higher elevations? In any event, that leaves the 727-200. Here's the schedule:

American AA 1392 Los Angeles (LAX) 930a-1237p Steamboat Springs (HDN) 727-200 Daily
Breakfast served enroute

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 11, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

I can just hear the late TV sportscaster Howard Cosell saying, "It's the horror in Koror!" But no, I don't think Howard ever said that (he did say "The thrill-ah in Manila") as I do not believe there has ever been a major international sporting event broadcast live from Palau. I wonder how the surfing is there.... However, I wander from my theme. And I keep thinking this may have been Air Nauru operating a B737-200 on a routing of Koror - Nauru - Majuro - Honolulu.

Did Howard cover surfing? We were quite familiar with his distinctive nasal drone in Colorado where many bars had contests to see who'd get to throw a brick through an old TV when Howard came on at halftime. There was a perception that Howard didn't like the Broncos or at the very least had something to do with Bronco highlights (what of them there were) being rarely seen during halftime.

As to the Koror-Honolulu flight, Air Nauru is a pretty darned good guess, and the flight did indeed make its second stop on Majuro enroute to HNL. However, the airline of note was not Air Nauru and the aircraft type was not a 737 of any variant. Please, do guess again though!

Identified so far: Southwest, American Trans Air, America West, Private Jet Expeditions (5J), Morris Air and Midwest Express. Just one more left!

One more to go, eh? Perhaps this was a rather obscure air carrier by the name of Express One International which I think operated B727-200 equipment in all-coach configuration.

Nope, it wasn't Express One (I thought they mainly did sports charters) nor did the airline in question ever operate 727-200s. That airline still flies however, and it now offers First Class! Now at this point I know it's an oft-repeated mantra, but please, do guess again!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

One more to go, eh? Perhaps this was a rather obscure air carrier by the name of Express One International which I think operated B727-200 equipment in all-coach configuration.

Nope, it wasn't Express One (I thought they mainly did sports charters) nor did the airline in question ever operate 727-200s. That airline still flies however, and it now offers First Class! Now at this point I know it's an oft-repeated mantra, but please, do guess again!
I don't recall any of the airline's flights heading south of the Oregon-California border in the time I flew it but perhaps Horizon (QX)?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The airline we're looking for still flies and now offers First Class

I don't recall any of the airline's flights heading south of the Oregon-California border in the time I flew it but perhaps Horizon (QX)?

As you suspected, we're a little early yet for Horizon, which even in later years never served LAS with anything larger than a DHC-8-400. A good guess, though, as QX does now offer First Class.

You all are going to be kicking yourselves when the answer is finally revealed. The airline in question has been around for quite awhile...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

You all are going to be kicking yourselves when the answer is finally revealed. The airline in question has been around for quite awhile...
didn't Hawaiian start out as a single-class operation, even on their long-haul services?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Didn't Hawaiian start out as a single-class operation, even on their long-haul services?

Yes, they did! Good call! HA was running single class L-1011s in from LAX
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

4. You’re off to Belize City for a week of diving at Roatan. Life could hardly get any better but it does when you’re informed that the flight taking you from Miami down to Belize City is operated with widebody equipment. What airline will you be flying on and what is the equipment?
It's not Eastern. Nor is it an A300. Nor is it Pan Am with an A310. It's also not Rich International, nor is it an L-1011
TACA, Boeing 767-200

If this is correct, it would be a slight oddity as TACA is an airline of El Salvador, not Belize (since renamed Avianca El Salvador).

I'm guessing it was TACA because there was once a 737-300 which was about to crash in New Orleans. The pilots were going to ditch in the water, like US1549 in the Hudson. However, they saw a levee and decided to go for that, which they were successful. Nobody died or were even injured except for maybe one sprained ankle. The flight was not from El Salvador but was from Belize. After much thought, ....hmmm..... Belize.....British Airways...Iberia...Mexicana...United.....my light bulb lit........TACA.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.