Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
JNB Jan Smuts - Sal, Cape Verde Islands - JFK

Tell me I'm wrong.
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
That wold have been my guess. IIRC ZA had to use Cape Verde to LHR too as it wasn't allowed to overfly most of Africa.
I am beginning to think I am wrong. Abidjan opened up to South African Airways later but not as a JFK flight.

I think Brazil is the answer so JNB-GIG-JFK. At that time, Sao Paulo used Campinas for long distance flights and Congonhas for short flights so Rio was the big international airport.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: BA
Guessing the obvious because of who the sole engine provider was: British Airways (or BOAC which probably ordered it). I can think of only one other European flag carrier that operated the L-1011, and some smaller airlines (e.g., LTU).
I believe it was nearly two years before British Airways put the Tristar into service that this European airline did so for themselves. Incidentally, it's livery was yellow, and they made regular appearences in Canada.

Incidentally, it was not BOAC who initially ordered what became the British Airways Tristars, it was BEA. It was seen as an internal European aircraft at the time. For many years the principal route the BA Tristars held down was London to Paris, every 2 hours.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA
IAs for 5th freedoms, one North American airline (leave the name unmentioned lest it becomes a quiz item) used to have a flight to LIM- SCL-EZE, coming back the same way, in the '80s. Not much of a VFR market
There were a lot of 5th Freedom operations in South America in earlier times as the local carriers did not have much capacity for this, and the governments were quite free with letting anyone do anything.

The old time traditional operator down here was Panagra, a US airline but who only operated in South America (despite which they turned up daily at JFK - it's a complicated story). Panagra was owned equally by Pan Am and the Grace shipping line, who were the longstanding No 1 US shipping company down there. An initial partnership, they were at daggers drawn for much of their later relationship. A number of their flights were local only in South America, for which they once had a substantial DC-3 fleet, and these were gradually squeezed out as the local airlines developed. Everyone thought Pan Am would take over the whole operation, but in 1967 the CAB prohibited that, and Braniff, who had previously operated a somewhat lightweight operation down to the same territory, bought them up and became No 1. Braniff went under in 1982 and Eastern bought the routes. Eastern in turn went under 10 years later and the routes were bought up by American, by which time long-line routings were falling out of favour altogether, it was Miami and back from each point that American developed.

So for 1980s, it depends when. Earlier it was Braniff, later on it was Eastern.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
I believe it was nearly two years before British Airways put the Tristar into service that this European airline did so for themselves. Incidentally, it's livery was yellow, and they made regular appearences in Canada.
There was another U.K. airline I remember ordering L-1011s in the very early '70s but not sure if they got them before going under. Not a scheduled airline however.

My only flight on a BA L-1011 was indeed between CDG and LHR.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Court?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
Court?
That one. I just remember it going under when I was a pre-teen.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
1. Why is February 25, 1990 a milestone date in the annals of U.S. airline history?

That is the day that all flights operated by US Airlines had smoking banned on them. Prior to that, people were allowed to smoke on international flights or flights that lasted over a certain number of hours.

You are correct, Sir! ^ Well, essentially so. According to the LA Times article I read, the initial ban on 2/25 affected all U.S. domestic flights under six hours. Later, the ban was extended to all flights.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
4. South African Airways commenced service between Johannesburg and New York in 1969. What was the routing of that flight?

JNB Jan Smuts - Sal, Cape Verde Islands - JFK. Tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry, Toshbaf, but you're wrong. That said, when at first you don't succeed, please, guess again!

I am beginning to think I am wrong. Abidjan opened up to South African Airways later but not as a JFK flight. I think Brazil is the answer so JNB-GIG-JFK. At that time, Sao Paulo used Campinas for long distance flights and Congonhas for short flights so Rio was the big international airport.

YES! Good rebound, Toshbaf!

By the way, if we haven't already said so, Welcome to the OTAQ&D! ^
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2. What was the first European airline to operate the Lockheed L-1011?

Guessing the obvious because of who the sole engine provider was: British Airways (or BOAC which probably ordered it). I can think of only one other European flag carrier that operated the L-1011, and some smaller airlines (e.g., LTU).

Lots of commentary on this question and WHBM has given a nice hint with regard to livery. It was not BOAC/BA, nor was it a scheduled airline...

Per jrl767: Court?

Sorry, J - this isn't jeopardy. You must provide your answer as a statement Just kidding! It was indeed Court, introduced in 1973. I believe they had one in yellow/ochre/orange and the other in various shades of pink.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've gotta run right now, but I'll be back later this morning with more responses and questions. Thanks for all the great responses and commentary! ^^
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
So.....did Court Line ever operate their L-1011 aircraft in scheduled services?

Not a quiz question as I do not know the answer....and I cannot find any timetables for Court Line.

Court Line did make at least one foray into scheduled services via their acquisition of Leeward Island Air Transport (LIAT, aka Leave Island Any Time or Luggage In Another Terminal) which resulted in Court Line BAC One-Eleven series 500 aircraft being operated in the Caribbean by LIAT. Here's a photo.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/LIAT...EOgkAMRe/SNRsC

As you can see, the Court Line livery remained with LIAT titles being used plus something interesting being applied to the tail (it appears to be an artist's rendition of a bird of some type).

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 7, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
So.....did Court Line ever operate their L-1011 aircraft in scheduled services?

Not a quiz question as I do not know the answer....and I cannot find any timetables for Court Line.

Court Line did make at least one foray into scheduled services via their acquisition of Leeward Island Air Transport (LIAT, aka Leave Island Any Time or Luggage In Another Terminal) which resulted in Court Line BAC One-Eleven series 500 aircraft being operated in the Caribbean by LIAT. Here's a photo.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/LIAT...EOgkAMRe/SNRsC

As you can see, the Court Line livery remained with LIAT titles being used plus something interesting being applied to the tail (it appears to be an artist's rendition of a bird of some type).
A bit before my time but they were a charter airline, so you would have had to buy a package (typically flight and accommodation) from the tour operator.
Flight details would probably have been in their brochure or available from the travel agent.
Wikipedia has a section on Court Line and their associated companies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_Line

KT
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A little something to tide you over...

. Why is February 25, 1990 a milestone date in the annals of U.S. airline history?
A N S W E R E D

2. What was the first European airline to operate the Lockheed L-1011?
A N S W E R E D

3. What was the name of British Caledonian’s Gatwick Lounge for its Premium Class passengers?

4. South African Airways commenced service between Johannesburg and New York in 1969. What was the routing of that flight?
A N S W E R E D

5. Jim is a consular attaché working in Romania in the 1960s. He needs to write down a phone number that he’d rather others not discover, so he does so in aviation related code. Use these hints to discover the U.S. area code plus standard seven digit phone number: (Area Code=Britannia 737-200) + Northwest 707-320 + Lufthansa + South African
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 7, 2019 at 5:21 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. Jim is a consular attaché working in Romania in the 1960s. He needs to write down a phone number that he’d rather others not discover, so he does so in aviation related code. Use these hints to discover the U.S. area code plus standard seven digit phone number: (Area Code=Britannia 737-200) + Northwest 707-320 + Lufthansa + South African
I've got a couple of answers, depending how you're thinking....

204-707-1025
or
204-212-2025
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550

I've got a couple of answers, depending how you're thinking.... 204-707-1025 or 204-212-2025

You're definitely on the right track, KT. 204 is correct. As I'm sure you know, "320" is just a generic Boeing code for the 707 intercontinental. Think more specifically about Northwest's designation. Same goes for LH and SA but without the aircraft attached.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 7, 2019 at 4:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.