Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
65. Continental Airlines was not directly operating flights from Amsterdam (AMS) to Houston Intercontinental (IAH) at this time. However, CO was providing service from AMS to IAH in association with a European-based air carrier with this schedule being listed in the OAG. Passengers bound for Houston from Amsterdam would board a narrow body jet at AMS operated by this European-based airline and fly to a connecting airport located in Europe. A connection would then be made to a wide body jet operated by Continental for the transatlantic flight to IAH. Identify the airline that operated the originating flight from AMS as well as the equipment operated on this flight and also name the airport where the connection was made plus the wide body aircraft type operated by CO from AMS to IAH.
Transavia Airlines Boeing 737-200 to London-Gatwick, connecting to a CO DC-10-30.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Howdy folks - it's good to be back home in Alaska where the mercury has climbed to a toasty -8°F - quite an improvement over the -40°s when I left 10 days ago. Here's a pretty sunset from the flight up to Seattle...

43. Now you need to travel from New Orleans (MSY) to Aguadilla (BQN) in Puerto Rico in order to inspect a sailboat that's for sale. Ah, here's a direct one stop flight! What airline will you be flying on, where will you stop and what is the equipment? First class was available on this flight.

When I think of Aguadilla, I think American Airlines. Other airlines also flew there of course, but from New Orleans in the early 90s I'm thinking an American 727-200 via Miami makes the most sense.

45. If you wanted to fly out of Fort Nelson, B.C. (YYE) on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on? The jet aircraft type in question was not manufactured in the U.S.

Back in 1979 I flew through Fort Nelson aboard a silver and orange CP Air 737-200. The YYE stop was part of a milk run that originated in Whitehorse and as I recall terminated in Ft. St. John. That's where I got off and connected to another 737 down to Vancouver via Prince George. Fourteen years later, the only airline flying through Fort Nelson that comes to mind is Canadian Regional. I have seen several postcards of its Fokker F.28s and indeed have a couple in my collection.

BONUS: I see the Saints have just intercepted the Rams down on LA's 15 yard line. Looks like the Saints are off to a good start. ^
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 20, 2019 at 1:21 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Thai Airways International
36. Ah, it wasn't Thai Airways International. Please guess again!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Transavia Airlines Boeing 737-200 to London-Gatwick, connecting to a CO DC-10-30.
65. Transavia (HV) was indeed the air carrier operating the originating flight with a B737-200 from Amsterdam to London Gatwick. And Transavia was also operating other flights between AMS and LGW with B737-300 equipment at this time. However, Continental was not operating a DC-10-30 from AMS to IAH, which means.....
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Howdy folks - it's good to be back home in Alaska where the mercury has climbed to a toasty -8°F - quite an improvement over the -40°s when I left 10 days ago. Here's a pretty sunset from the flight up to Seattle...

43. Now you need to travel from New Orleans (MSY) to Aguadilla (BQN) in Puerto Rico in order to inspect a sailboat that's for sale. Ah, here's a direct one stop flight! What airline will you be flying on, where will you stop and what is the equipment? First class was available on this flight.

When I think of Aguadilla, I think American Airlines. Other airlines also flew there of course, but from New Orleans in the early 90s I'm thinking an American 727-200 via Miami makes the most sense.

45. If you wanted to fly out of Fort Nelson, B.C. (YYE) on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on? The jet aircraft type in question was not manufactured in the U.S.

Back in 1979 I flew through Fort Nelson aboard a silver and orange CP Air 737-200. The YYE stop was part of a milk run that originated in Whitehorse and as I recall terminated in Ft. St. John. That's where I got off and connected to another 737 down to Vancouver via Prince George. Fourteen years later, the only airline flying through Fort Nelson that comes to mind is Canadian Regional. I have seen several postcards of its Fokker F.28s and indeed have a couple in my collection.

BONUS: I see the Saints have just intercepted the Rams down on LA's 15 yard line. Looks like the Saints are off to a good start. ^
Great sunset shot!

43. Correct! Here's the sched...

AA 1485: New Orleans (MSY) 12:54p - Miami (MIA) 5:15p - 7:37p Aguadilla (BQN)
Freq: Daily
Equip: 72S
Meal services: Lunch MSY-MIA, Dinner MIA-BQN

45. Correct again! Canadian Regional was operating code share service for CP into Fort Nelson with the Fokker F.28 Fellowship from Vancouver via a stop at Fort St. John at this time. I think the actual operator of this F.28 service was Time Air.

And what's that? There's a playoff game currently in progress down at the N.O. Superdome, you say? With the winner of today's game then advancing to the Super Bowl?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
The next four quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1994....

41. You are in San Francisco and need to travel to Port of Spain in Trinidad on business. To your great surprise, you find there is a direct flight from SFO to POS which operates daily. Four stops are made en route by this service which departs San Francisco at 6:10 am and arrives into Port of Spain at 11:57 pm. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served on this flight. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft. First class was available on this flight and stop # 4 was made at a city located in South America.
I have to take a guess at this because we lived in Trinidad from 1994-96, and although most of our US-bound trips were on BWIA to MIA, then CO to IAH, my records show one trip that began with UA868 from POS-CCS-MIA. From your clue that one city was in South America, I therefore figure the flight could have been on a United 727 SFO-DEN-MIA-CCS-POS, but that's only 3 stops. Am I in the right ballpark?

Our city is in mourning today after yesterday's heartbreaking loss by the Saints.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
65. Transavia (HV) was indeed the air carrier operating the originating flight with a B737-200 from Amsterdam to London Gatwick. And Transavia was also operating other flights between AMS and LGW with B737-300 equipment at this time. However, Continental was not operating a DC-10-30 from AMS to IAH, which means.....
65- tap-in: 747-200

68. What was the largest aircraft type being operated nonstop from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Houston (IAH) and what airline operated it? The air carrier in question was not based in the U.S.
68- I can't recall any fifth freedom operators that could actually carry passenger traffic on the route, but I vaguely remember some European carriers that ran this as a tag ... let's say a Lufthansa 747-400
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
I have to take a guess at this because we lived in Trinidad from 1994-96, and although most of our US-bound trips were on BWIA to MIA, then CO to IAH, my records show one trip that began with UA868 from POS-CCS-MIA. From your clue that one city was in South America, I therefore figure the flight could have been on a United 727 SFO-DEN-MIA-CCS-POS, but that's only 3 stops. Am I in the right ballpark?

Our city is in mourning today after yesterday's heartbreaking loss by the Saints.
Yep, I think most of the great state of Louisiana is completely bummed out today out concerning the Saint's loss to the L.A. Rams yesterday. We sure are over here in Lafayette. And where the heck was the flag against the Rams concerning that play late in the game?! Oh well....there's always the new season this fall to look forward to! And, of course, we also look forward to the Patriots wiping out the Rams in the Super Bowl.....

And now to the good news.....

41. You are very much on the right track and in the ballpark here, sir! The air carrier was indeed United with stops in DEN, MIA and CCS. However, the equipment wasn't a B727-200 and we are still looking for the additional stop. Please guess again!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
48. It's the summer of 1996 and you are in Victoria, B.C. You've been planning to join friends who are currently driving from Austin, Texas to Fairbanks, Alaska and have been informed they will arrive in Edmonton in the afternoon and then spend the night. So that's where you are headed. You'll depart YYJ at 10:15 am and arrive into YEG at 2:30 pm with two stops being made en route. Name the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type.
This flight was operated with equipment configured with in an all-coach (Y) cabin.

Small world coincidence -- Following a lengthy hospital stay in Alberta I flew this route in 1998 after a weekend visit to a close friend in Victoria, so am fairly confident that it was a Westjet 737-200 from YYJ to Kelowna, BC (YLW) to Calgary (YYC) to Edmonton.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dupe post due to a computer hardware problem and the day is approaching when I will need to purchase a new lap top...

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 21, 2019 at 11:30 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
Small world coincidence -- Following a lengthy hospital stay in Alberta I flew this route in 1998 after a weekend visit to a close friend in Victoria, so am fairly confident that it was a Westjet 737-200 from YYJ to Kelowna, BC (YLW) to Calgary (YYC) to Edmonton.
48. Correct! Here's the sched....

WJ 154: Victoria (YYJ) 10:15a - 11:00a Kelowna (YLW) 11:30a - 1:20p Calgary (YYC) 1:50p - 2:30p Edmonton Intl. (YEG)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays and Sundays
Equip: B737-200

The WJ two letter airline code appears in the WestJet August 1996 timetable although I think the airline currently uses the WS two letter code. And in 1999 the OAG had the WestJet two letter code listed as M3.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
65- tap-in: 747-200

68- I can't recall any fifth freedom operators that could actually carry passenger traffic on the route, but I vaguely remember some European carriers that ran this as a tag ... let's say a Lufthansa 747-400
65. Yep, and I think the B747-200 that Continental operated on the AMS-IAH route came from People Express.

68. Lufthansa is correct; however, the aircraft wasn't a B747-400....but you are very close and we await the tap in on this one....
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
67. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from Aruba (AUA) to Houston (IAH) at this time with the service being operated three days a week. Identify the this air carrier and the equipment. The airline in question was not based in the U.S.

I'm going to go with Air Aruba. I honestly don't know if they flew to Houston, but they make the most sense, especially since the obvious suspect - Continental - seems too mundane. Also, the three day a week schedule is a hint. Speaking of which I see you've hinted that we're looking for a non-U.S. operator. Duh! I have a number of postcards of Air Aruba's aircraft (My collection numbers over 35000 cards) and now the guess is which aircraft did they use? A check at webflyer's mileage calculator indicates the nonstop mileage between Aruba and Houston is 2020 miles, well within the range of a variety of its aircraft. Still, let's go whole hog and say they ran a 767-200 on the route.

Bonus #1: What was the name of the front cabin found on Republic Airlines (RC) DC-9-30 equipment as well as on several other jet aircraft types in their fleet in the early 1980's? This name was actually created by the marketing department at Hughes Airwest.

Okay then, since nobody else wants this one, I'll swoop in. I had the good fortune to fly in Business Coach on both Hughes Airwest and Republic back in the day. Seating was industry standard 2-2 premium class aboard all of the various DC-9s and 727-200s that I flew upon. With the exception of free drinks, service was identical to what was offered behind the curtain. Best of all, the difference in fare was minimal. I remember once paying just $20 more (1980 value) to fly BC from Seattle to Denver on a three stop flight. This engenders a

BONUS QUESTION!!!: In July of 1980, what type of aircraft did I fly and what were the three enroute stops on my Hughes Airwest flight from Seattle to Denver?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
68- 747-230B, probably a Combi
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... I remember once paying just $20 more (1980 value) to fly BC from Seattle to Denver on a three stop flight. This engenders a

BONUS QUESTION!!!: In July of 1980, what type of aircraft did I fly and what were the three enroute stops on my Hughes Airwest flight from Seattle to Denver?
BQ- I'll start the bidding here ... a baby DC-9 operating via Boise (BOI), Twin Falls (TWF), and Pocatello (PIH)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.