Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
63- RC D9S, LAS-PHX-XXX-YYY-MCO-FLL ... how about XXX= HOU (Houston Hobby) and YYY=TPA (Tampa)
63. Houston Hobby (HOU): Yes! Tampa (TPA): Nope..... And I note you've also included Phoenix which has already been ruled out.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by wrp96
If I remember correctly it lost both engines after ingesting water in the engines during a severe thunderstorm. It landed on a levee outside New Orleans with only minor injuries. And the plane eventually returned to service.
Bonus # 2: Correct! TACA flight 110 was inbound and on approach to New Orleans (MSY) from Belize (BZE) when it encountered a Level 4 severe thunderstorm with hail. The NTSB later suggested the ingestion of hail by both engines may have contributed to the dual flame out. The Boeing 737-300 aircraft was about two weeks old. The Captain (who was reported to have only one good eye as he had apparently gone blind in his other eye due to being hit by gunfire while flying during El Salvador's civil war) reportedly elected to ditch via a water landing in a New Orleans area canal. However, the First Officer then spotted a narrow, grass covered levee located adjacent to the canal and suggested a landing be attempted on top of this levee. The Captain agreed and then landed the aircraft during an unpowered glide near the NASA Michoud Assembly Facility on the east side of New Orleans . The dead stick landing on the levee was successful and only minor injuries were reported by some of the passengers. The Boeing 737-300 was not significantly damaged as well and following on-site engine replacement was flown out, taking off from a nearby road that had been previously constructed on top of an old runway at the Michoud facility. The aircraft was subsequently returned to service and was eventually acquired by Southwest Airlines. It is reported that this aircraft, N687SW, was retired by Southwest in December 2016.

BTW, at one point TACA was based in New Orleans due to the civil war in its home country of El Salvador at the time. TACA also operated BAC One-Eleven service into MSY during the mid 1970's.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 20, 2019 at 9:50 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
Please limit your responses to two per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

The following quiz items both have a time line of the fall of 1993.....

36. There was only one airline operating Boeing 747-400 service nonstop from Brussels (BRU) to London Heathrow (LHR) at this time. The flight only operated once a week. Name the airline that operated this service.

39. You are in Caracas and need to travel to Seattle. Ah, what's this? A direct one stop flight and first class is available! You will depart CCS at 10:00 am and arrive into SEA at 7:01 pm. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

The next four quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1994.....

41. You are in San Francisco and need to travel to Port of Spain on business. To your great surprise, you find there is a direct flight from SFO to POS that operates daily. Four stops are made en route by this service which departs San Francisco at 6:10 am and arrives into Port of Spain at 11:57 pm. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served on this flight. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft.

43. Now you need to travel from New Orleans to Aguadilla (BQN) in Puerto Rico in order to inspect a sailboat that's for sale. Ah, here's a direct one stop flight! What airline will you be flying on, where will you stop and what is the equipment?

44. This airline was operating direct one stop service from San Juan (SJU) to Guatemala City (GUA) at this time. First class and coach were offered on this daily flight. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

45. If you wanted to fly out of Fort Nelson, B.C. (YYE) on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on?

48. It's the summer of 1996 and you are in Victoria, B.C. You've been planning to join friends who are currently driving from Austin, Texas to Fairbanks, Alaska and have been informed they will arrive in Edmonton in the afternoon and then spend the night. So that's where you are headed. You'll depart YYJ at 10:15 am and arrive into YEG at 2:30 pm with two stops being made en route. Name the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type.

49. You are back in New York City in early 2000 and are working out of an office located not too far from La Guardia Airport. You been asked to attend a meeting in Seattle and have found a convenient direct flight departing LGA in the afternoon that will arrive into SEA that night. Two stops will be made en route. Now you are not familiar with the airline that operates this service but you have managed to book a seat in first class. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

50. It's now late spring in 2001 and your long term project work from the office near La Guardia Airport in New York City has almost concluded. There's just one more meeting to attend and it will involve lunch at a location near San Francisco International Airport. You've grown accustomed to flying out of La Guardia during this work assignment as the airfield is very conveniently located to the office and your apartment. So you find a direct flight departing LGA at 6:50 am that will get you into SFO at 11:30 am with one stop being made en route. Once again you're not familiar with the airline operating this flight but you've been informed you will flying on board an aircraft type which the air carrier has recently introduced into their fleet. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft.
Still looking for answers for the above......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 18, 2019 at 3:15 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The time line for both of the following quiz items is the fall of 1993.

52. Only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Zurich (ZRH) to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time. The flights were operated twice a week. Identify this air carrier. It wasn't EVA Air or Air China

56. Only one air carrier was operating nonstop Boeing 747-400 service from Frankfurt (FRA) into London Gatwick (LGW). The flight operated once a week. Identify this airline.
And just a couple to be answered here as well plus Bonus # 1 in post # 14361 above....
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
70. Pittsburgh (PIT) is correct! Delta was operating three round trips a day ATL - PIT - YYZ at this time, two with B757-200 aircraft and one with a B727-200.
Yep, we were on the 757. I think my dad picked that flight since he hadn’t been on one before. I didn’t realize the PIT stop was due to regulations though.

IIRC between YYZ and CVG was all regional (Comair) at that point - that’s the route we were rebooked on when our flight to ATL was canceled.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
63- let's try this again
RC D9S, BUR-FLL with four stops; we know the first and the last, plus one more ... there are only two permutations, so here's a guess for each:
(1) BUR-LAS-XXX-HOU-MCO-FLL where XXX isn't PHX -- XXX = Tucson (TUS)
(2) BUR-LAS-HOU-YYY-MCO-FLL -- YYY = New Orleans (MSY)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
49. You are back in New York City in early 2000 and are working out of an office located not too far from La Guardia Airport. You been asked to attend a meeting in Seattle and have found a convenient direct flight departing LGA in the afternoon that will arrive into SEA that night. Two stops will be made en route. Now you are not familiar with the airline that operates this service but you have managed to book a seat in first class. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment. It wasn't America West, the stops were not made at CMH and PHX and the equipment wasn't an A320. Hint: this flight was operated by a new start up airline that was only in business for several years.
49- I'm not sure whether this startup offered F service, but let's give it a whirl: Pro Air, serving Detroit City (DET) and Chicago Midway (MDW) with a 737-400
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

63- let's try this again
RC D9S, BUR-FLL with four stops; we know the first and the last, plus one more ... there are only two permutations, so here's a guess for each:
(1) BUR-LAS-XXX-HOU-MCO-FLL where XXX isn't PHX -- XXX = Tucson (TUS)
(2) BUR-LAS-HOU-YYY-MCO-FLL -- YYY = New Orleans (MSY)
63. The missing stop was New Orleans. Here's the sched....

RC 716: Burbank (BUR) 11:10a - 12:00n Las Vegas (LAS) 12:25p - 5:09p Houston Hobby (HOU) 5:40p - 6:35p New Orleans (MSY) 7:05p - 9:38p Orlando (MCO) 9:55p - 10:35p Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Freq: BUR-HOU Daily, HOU-MCO except Saturdays
Equip: DC-9-30
Meal services: Lunch LAS-HOU, Dinner MSY-MCO
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

49- I'm not sure whether this startup offered F service, but let's give it a whirl: Pro Air, serving Detroit City (DET) and Chicago Midway (MDW) with a 737-400
49. Yep, it was Pro Air. Here's the sched....

P9 101: New York La Guardia (LGA) 3:35p - 5:30p Detroit City (DET) 6:45p - 6:50p Chicago Midway (MDW) 7:30p - 10:00p Seattle (SEA)
Freq: Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays only
Equip: B737-400
Service classes: F/Y
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

Yep, we were on the 757. I think my dad picked that flight since he hadn’t been on one before. I didn’t realize the PIT stop was due to regulations though.

IIRC between YYZ and CVG was all regional (Comair) at that point - that’s the route we were rebooked on when our flight to ATL was canceled.
The OAG indeed lists all DL service between CVG and YYZ in the fall of 1994 as being flown by Comair as the Delta Connection with six round trip flights a day operated with CRJ equipment.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
The OAG indeed lists all DL service between CVG and YYZ in the fall of 1994 as being flown by Comair as the Delta Connection with six round trip flights a day operated with CRJ equipment.
Interesting, it was all Saab 340’s just one year earlier. I’m glad I got the opportunity to ride on one (and in the best seat, no less - 11A, the last row on the single side).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

Interesting, it was all Saab 340’s just one year earlier. I’m glad I got the opportunity to ride on one (and in the best seat, no less - 11A, the last row on the single side).

Between American Eagle and Northwest Airlink, I spent quite a bit of time flying in Saab 340 aircraft back in the day. We called them the "Saab story".....

And I always wanted to fly on board a Saab 2000 but never had the opportunity to do so. I believe the only operator of the Saab 2000 in scheduled service in North America is PenAir up in Alaska (although they've apparently been experiencing financial difficulties and it appears PenAir may have now joined the Ravn airline group up there which includes the former Era Aviation, a company I previously worked for).

I also seem to recall that Pro Air was planning to introduce Saab 2000 flights as a feeder service with aircraft that GM had been using in corporate shuttle configuration.....but it never happened and Pro Air subsequently went out of business.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 19, 2019 at 9:39 am Reason: additional info
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA
I see Saab 2000s every day, BA used to contract Eastern Airways to have them at London City, some even painted in BA colours, but have recently moved the work to Loganair, who have a large fleet of both 340s and 2000s. The last time I took them, to the Isle of Man, the regular S2000 in BA colours was off for a check, and we had one in Eastern colours instead.

I do recall in the US travelling London to Jacksonville FL via Miami, for a significant evening meeting, and being quite unconcerned about a connection at Miami onto the Saab 340 of American, which was probably my first ride on one. I've always liked them, they look like a proper aircraft, unlike some other commuter types (I'm not looking especially at Shorts, but I might be ...).

First ride in an S2000 was likely in Cityjet, of all carriers, London City to Dublin, who had them in their fleet for a brief period, and in their own colours, unusually, as they used to paint everything in their cdeshare partners liveries.

I took a 340 some years ago, part of a meeting with someone who jlemon may know, from Helsinki to Lappeenranta in Finland. The operator was Golden Air, based in Sweden, and the through fare was little more than normal London to Helsinki, which I connected out of (by the skin of my teeth eventually, and my bag didn't make it, but that's another story). Now Finland is a bilingual country, speaking Finnish and Swedish. About a dozen on board, and unusually two flight attendants, the second being a trainee. In the safety briefing one read the script, the other did the pantomime. They went right through it all in Finnish, and then again from the start in Swedish. Then they scowled at the passenger manifest, looked directly at me, nodded to each other - and did the whole lot again in English. Of course, I paid very close attention to them.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 19, 2019 at 9:16 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are all of the remaining unanswered quiz items....and I have now added even more hints.

The following two quiz items both have a time line of the fall of 1993....

36. There was only one airline operating Boeing 747-400 service nonstop from Brussels (BRU) to London Heathrow (LHR) at this time. The flight only operated once a week. Name the airline that operated this service. This flight originated in Asia. The air carrier wasn't Thai Airways International.

39. You are in Caracas and need to travel to Seattle. Ah, what's this? A direct one stop flight and first class is available! You will depart CCS at 10:00 am and arrive into SEA at 7:05 pm. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. This was a same plane service with no change of equipment and the stop was made in the U.S.

The next four quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1994....

41. You are in San Francisco and need to travel to Port of Spain in Trinidad on business. To your great surprise, you find there is a direct flight from SFO to POS which operates daily. Four stops are made en route by this service which departs San Francisco at 6:10 am and arrives into Port of Spain at 11:57 pm. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served on this flight. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft. The airline is United with stops being made at DEN, MIA and CCS. Equipment wasn't a B727-200 and we are still looking for the missing stop.

43. Now you need to travel from New Orleans (MSY) to Aguadilla (BQN) in Puerto Rico in order to inspect a sailboat that's for sale. Ah, here's a direct one stop flight! What airline will you be flying on, where will you stop and what is the equipment? ANSWERED

45. If you wanted to fly out of Fort Nelson, B.C. (YYE) on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on? ANSWERED

48. It's the summer of 1996 and you are in Victoria, B.C. You've been planning to join friends who are currently driving from Austin, Texas to Fairbanks, Alaska and have been informed they will arrive in Edmonton in the afternoon and then spend the night. So that's where you are headed. You'll depart YYJ at 10:15 am and arrive into YEG at 2:30 pm with two stops being made en route. Name the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

50. It's now late spring in 2001 and your long term project work from an office near La Guardia Airport in New York City has almost concluded. There's just one more meeting to attend and it will involve a lunch at a location near San Francisco International Airport. You've grown accustomed to flying out of La Guardia during this work assignment as the airfield is very conveniently located to the office and your apartment. So you find a direct flight departing LGA at 6:50 am that will get you into SFO at 11:30 am with one stop being made en route. You're not familiar with airline operating the flight but you've been informed you will be flying on an aircraft type which the air carrier has recently introduced into their fleet. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. The air carrier in question was a recent start-up which had been in operation for several years at this time.

The time line for these three quiz items is the fall of 1993.....

52. Only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Zurich (ZRH) nonstop to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time. The flights were operated twice a week. Identify this air carrier. This flight originated in Asia. It wasn't Air China or EVA Air.

56. Only one air carrier was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Frankfurt (FRA) to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time. The flight was operated once a week. Identify this airline. This flight continued on from LGW west across the Atlantic.

65. Continental Airlines was not directly operating flights from Amsterdam (AMS) to Houston Intercontinental (IAH) at this time. However, CO was providing service from AMS to IAH in association with a European-based air carrier with this schedule being listed in the OAG. Passengers bound for Houston from Amsterdam would board a narrow body jet at AMS operated by this European-based airline and fly to a connecting airport located in Europe. A connection would then be made to a wide body jet operated by Continental for the transatlantic flight to IAH. Identify the airline that operated the originating flight from AMS as well as the equipment operated on this flight and also name the airport where the connection was made plus the wide body aircraft type operated by CO from AMS to IAH. ANSWERED

The following quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1994.....

67. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from Aruba (AUA) to Houston (IAH) at this time with the service being operated three days a week. Identify the this air carrier and the equipment. The airline in question was not based in the U.S. It wasn't Air Aruba and the equipment wasn't a B767-200.

68. What was the largest aircraft type being operated nonstop from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Houston (IAH) and what airline operated it? ANSWERED - Lufthansa operating a B747-200 Combi with conditional stopover traffic permitted between DFW and IAH.

71. This airline was operating the only direct service from New Orleans (MSY) to Portland, Maine (PWM) at this time with two stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment. First class was available on this flight.

72. This air carrier was operating the only direct service from West Palm Beach (PBI) to Bangor, Maine (BGR) at this time with two stops being made en route. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. The second stop was made in the state of New York.

73. You are in Lafayette, Louisiana (LFT) and need to travel to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW). You would greatly prefer to fly on board a jet on this trip. You then find a direct flight which makes one stop en route with this service being operated with jet equipment. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED - Continental operating an MD-80 via a stop at IAH.

Bonus #1: What was the name of the front cabin found on Republic Airlines (RC) DC-9-30 equipment as well as on several other jet aircraft types in their fleet in the early 1980's? This name was actually created by the marketing department at Hughes Airwest.....and now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 21, 2019 at 2:45 pm Reason: corrected the hint on Bonus #1 and added more hints elsewhere & answer updates
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:46 pm

36. There was only one airline operating Boeing 747-400 service nonstop from Brussels (BRU) to London Heathrow (LHR) at this time. The flight only operated once a week. Name the airline that operated this service. This flight originated in Asia.
Thai Airways International

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.