Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Time for some more guess work....

Aviateca (GU)
65. Ah, it wasn't Aviateca.....and please keep guessing, sir!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550

No laughing please...

Air New Zealand, Boeing 747-200 from London-Gatwick via LAX
64. We wouldn't dare.....and as everyone knows, we are quite prim, proper and unspeakably solemn here on the OTAQ&D. In fact, I usually post my quiz items whilst nattily attired in a coat and tie......

And BTW, you are correct! Here's the sched....

TE 1: London Gatwick (LGW) 4:45p - 7:45p Los Angeles (LAX) 10:00p - 3:05a Papeete (PPT) 4:30a - 8:30a Auckland (AKL)
Freq: Thursdays and Sundays only
Equip: 747

Air New Zealand was still using the two letter TE code at this time.

And also BTW, this was the only 747 service from London Gatwick to Los Angeles at this time as well. British Caledonian (BR) was operating a DC-10-30 nonstop flight from LGW to LAX daily except on Mondays while American (AA) was operating one stop DC-10-30 service via DFW on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. In addition, World Airways (WO) was operating daily one stop DC-10-30 service from LGW to LAX via BWI.

Of course, over at Heathrow during the fall of 1993, one had a choice of British Airways, Pan Am and TWA with each airline operating a single daily 747 nonstop from LHR to LAX.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 17, 2019 at 5:09 pm Reason: added AKL sched info for TE 1
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
63. It's 1982 and you are in Pasadena, California where you've been visiting with your parents. Your old sailing buddy in Santa Barbara has just called and has asked you to travel to Fort Lauderdale to take a look at a catamaran that's for sale. Your first thought is to catch a flight to FLL from LAX. But then you find there is a direct flight from Burbank which, of course, is the closest commercially served airport to Pasadena. This service makes four stops en route from BUR to FLL and better yet a front cabin seat is available. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment.
63- let's try Republic running a DC-9-30; good candidate stops are, in sequence, of course:
  1. Las Vegas (LAS)
  2. Phoenix (PHX)
  3. Memphis (MEM)
  4. Orlando (MCO)
65- BZE-IAH on a 733 sure sounds like Continental, but I think TACA may be a better option
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<br /><strong>69.</strong> American Airlines was operating three round trip flights a day between their Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) hub and Vancouver, B.C. (YVR). However, AA did not have the authority to fly nonstop between DFW and YVR at this time and so one stop had to be made en route in both directions. This stop was made at the same airport on all of these flights. Name the airport where the stop was made.<br /><br /><strong>70. </strong> Delta Air Lines was operating three round trip flights a day between their Atlanta (ATL) hub and Toronto (YYZ). However, DL did not have the authority to fly nonstop between ATL and YYZ at this time and so one stop had to be made en route in both directions. This stop was made at the same airport on all of these flights. Identify the airport where the stop was made.<br />
69. Former Air Cal hub of SJC?

70. With that many flights, I'd say it had to be CVG.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jan 17, 2019 at 7:53 pm Reason: fix formatting bug
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
70. Delta Air Lines was operating three round trip flights a day between their Atlanta (ATL) hub and Toronto (YYZ). However, DL did not have the authority to fly nonstop between ATL and YYZ at this time and so one stop had to be made en route in both directions. This stop was made at the same airport on all of these flights. Identify the airport where the stop was made.
Ooh, I know this one! It was Pittsburgh. My first flight ever was to visit my dad's sister and her family in Toronto back in March of 1993 (when I was 8 years old), and we were scheduled on this route both ways. (Outbound we ended up getting rerouted via CVG since ATL, of all places, was closed due to snow.)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
63- let's try Republic running a DC-9-30; good candidate stops are, in sequence, of course:
  1. Las Vegas (LAS)
  2. Phoenix (PHX)
  3. Memphis (MEM)
  4. Orlando (MCO)
65- BZE-IAH on a 733 sure sounds like Continental, but I think TACA may be a better option
63. Republic operating a DC-9-30 is correct! And you're off to a great start concerning the routing as the first stop was indeed LAS while the last stop was MCO. However, this flight did not stop at PHX or MEM so please guess again.

65. TACA is
correct! Here's the complete northbound routing.....

TA 410: Panama City (PTY) 06:30 - 06:40 San Jose (SJO) 07:00 - 08:10 San Salvador (SAL) 08:35 - 09:35 Belize City (BZE) 09:55 - 13:20 Houston (IAH)
Freq: Daily
Equip: B737-300
Service class: Y

BONUS quiz items.....

#1: What was the name of the front cabin on Republic (RC) DC-9-30 and several other jet aircraft types in their fleet in the early 1980's? Hint: This name was created by Republic's marketing department.

#2: On May 24, 1988, TACA flight 110 was being operated with a new Boeing 737-300 aircraft. What happened to this flight? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 18, 2019 at 3:32 pm Reason: answer update
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
69. Former Air Cal hub of SJC?

70. With that many flights, I'd say it had to be CVG.
69. Correct! American was operating three round trip flights a day with MD-80 aircraft on a routing of DFW - SJC - YVR. And I believe AA inherited the SJC - YVR route authority when they acquired Air Cal.

70. Nope! And I see that strickerj has weighed in on this one....
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
Ooh, I know this one! It was Pittsburgh. My first flight ever was to visit my dad's sister and her family in Toronto back in March of 1993 (when I was 8 years old), and we were scheduled on this route both ways. (Outbound we ended up getting rerouted via CVG since ATL, of all places, was closed due to snow.)
70. Pittsburgh (PIT) is correct! Delta was operating three round trips a day ATL - PIT - YYZ at this time, two with B757-200 aircraft and one with a B727-200.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
5- I haven't a clue about the airline(s), as I think Pacific Western had spun off their small coastal community services to one or more local B.C. operators by the mid-1960s (if not earlier) ... that said, I'll guess the northbound flight was on a Grumman Goose amphibian that stopped at Tofino, and the return was on a Fokker F.27
5. Well, since you've mentioned Pacific Western and the Grumman Goose as well as correctly identifying the stop on the northbound flight, I'll go ahead and provide the answer....

Pacific Western was operating both of these flights. The northbound service was flown from Vancouver with a Grumman Goose amphibian aircraft departing at 10:00 am on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays and arriving in Tahsis at 11:45 am after a stop at Tofino. The southbound flight departed Bella Coola every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11:30 am and flew nonstop to Vancouver arriving at 1:00 pm. However, this flight was not operated with a Fokker F.27. It was instead operated with a Nord 262.

The above coastal destinations in British Columbia had been served from Vancouver by B.C. Air Lines which was acquired by Pacific Western in 1970. Pacific Western then began operating Nord 262 aircraft previously operated by B.C. Air Lines and I believe that's where the Grumman Goose aircraft came from as well.
Although I've been inactive on this forum for quite awhile, I occasionally peek in to see what's happening -- and I see the name Tofino -- hard to believe anyone on FlyerTalk would know that name (except jrl767 and jlemon!) -- my wife and I attended a wedding at a resort there a few years ago, but it never occurred to me to look for a flight -- we flew to YVR and drove from there -- I doubt that the flight would have accommodated our many bags and we needed the car anyway.
Keep up the good work!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
#2: On May 24, 1988, TACA flight 110 was being operated with a new Boeing 737-300 aircraft. What happened to this flight?
Isn't that the flight that landed on the levee?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BA
In fact, I usually post my quiz items whilst nattily attired in a coat and tie......
Me too ... but only because I stagger into the house in the evening from the office in my suit, perplexed by the inanities of the day there, and reach first for an anaethetising G&T, and secondly for my laptop for 5 minutes of brain wind-down. Incidentally, Mrs WHBM says that I can commonly withdraw the word "nattily" at this point.[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
That's when I recall growing up outside IAH, my folks were snowbirds, so we can add BGR/PQI/PWM in the mix.
If you thumb back through this thread, I've added some accounts previously about how Bangor, back in the 1980s, became a bit of a hub for the UK holiday airlines running to Florida, they would stop there to refuel, clear customs, and change crews, who would then fly the leg down to Orlando and back, before handing over again. The Holiday Inn at Bangor airport has become a legend among nowadays senior crews for what happened there ...

My only contact was a few hours sat there in a TWA 747 LAX-LHR which diverted into BGR due to a Transatlantic clearance issue, and then took for ever to get refuelled, because there was only one small fuel truck on duty and the fuel farm was on the opposite side of the airport, which it made multiple trips to/from. It was the middle of the night. Suddenly the airport PR man came onto the PA, welcomed us all, and gave a classic small-town commentary about the place, the highlight having been that late in the 19th Century the US President of the era had passed within 20 miles of Bangor (someone can probably identify who this was). This was all greeted with hoots and cheers from the few in the cabin who were awake and paying attention.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
63- RC D9S, LAS-PHX-XXX-YYY-MCO-FLL ... how about XXX= HOU (Houston Hobby) and YYY=TPA (Tampa)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
Although I've been inactive on this forum for quite awhile, I occasionally peek in to see what's happening -- and I see the name Tofino -- hard to believe anyone on FlyerTalk would know that name (except jrl767 and jlemon!) -- my wife and I attended a wedding at a resort there a few years ago, but it never occurred to me to look for a flight -- we flew to YVR and drove from there -- I doubt that the flight would have accommodated our many bags and we needed the car anyway.
Keep up the good work!
Hello miniliq! Great to hear from you and hope all is well with you and the family over there in the New Orleans area.

Tofino, Tahsis and Bella Coola are not listed in the February 1976 OAG as Pacific Western had apparently ceased serving many of the smaller communities that were previously served by B.C. Air Lines with amphibians and land planes. At this point, PW was operating all of its flights to several coastal destinations in B.C. province with Boeing 737-200 and Convair 640 aircraft including 73S service to Campbell River, Port Hardy and Sandspit, and CV-640 service to Comox and Powell River. Of course, Pacific Western was also serving Victoria at this time as well with six flights a day to Vancouver (two with the 73S and the other four with the CV-640) plus two flights a day to Seattle with the CV-640.

And we are looking forward to a certain playoff game in the N.O. Superdome this Sunday!
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
Isn't that the flight that landed on the levee?
Bonus # 2: Well, yes....it was. Care to elaborate with any additional details? @:-)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Well, yes....it was. Care to elaborate with any additional details? @:-)
If I remember correctly it lost both engines after ingesting water in the engines during a severe thunderstorm. It landed on a levee outside New Orleans with only minor injuries. And the plane eventually returned to service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.