Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

59. BA. Who were the agents for Brymon Airways, I am presuming for flights from Heathrow to Plymouth (DHC-7 performance necessary) and Newquay, generally both served in a triangle arrangement.

Brymon were the absolute pioneers of London City, it was one of their Dash-7s which made he initial landing on the ground where London's Canary Wharf now stands. There's a plaque up for it in Heron Quays DLR train station. jlemon may even have a photo of it . They later did the first ever landing at LCY. I went onto the runway a few minutes later and looked at the pioneer rubber marks there.

Bonus: "RR". For the L-1011 Tristar flights from RAF Brize Norton to Ascension Island, and on to Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands. These were, and still are, offered commercially. Nowadays it is generally a commercial charter rather than the RAF's own aircraft - an A340 holds the assignment down today.
Correct on both, of course!

59. The two destinations served from London Heathrow with the Dash 7 by Brymon on behalf of British Airways were indeed Plymouth (PLH) and Newquay (NQY) with BA flight numbers being used on all flights. At this time, there were three weekday Dash 7 nonstops from LHR to Plymouth which all continued on to Newquay and one weekday Dash 7 nonstop from LHR to Newquay which continued on to Plymouth.

And I do recall the aforementioned photo!

Bonus: Excellent commentary as always, sir, and I really cannot add anything else here!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:50 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I don't remember where CO flew to YVR from except a short-lived(?) service with a flying bar but assuming rights had also been from DEN Stapleton, how about Continental EWR-CLE-DEN-YVR with a DC9..
46. I will presume you are referring to the DC-9-30 because that is indeed the aircraft type that was operated on this flight.

Plus, you have correctly guessed the NYC departure airport: Newark (EWR).

However, the air carrier in question wasn't Continental and the stops were not made at CLE or DEN.....so please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
57. This airline was operating daily nonstop service from Florence (FLR) to London Gatwick (LGW). Name the air carrier and the equipment.
Meridiana (IG) using a BAe 146-200
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
46. I will presume you are referring to the DC-9-30 because that is indeed the aircraft type that was operated on this flight.

Plus, you have correctly guessed the NYC departure airport: Newark (EWR).

However, the air carrier in question wasn't Continental and the stops were not made at CLE or DEN.....so please guess again, sir!
I can’t think of any Delta routes that would make sense, and Eastern was already gone by then, so how about Northwest via DTW and MSP? (That last leg would have been pretty close to the DC-9-30’s range but still doable.)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
40- sandwiching two more guesses into one post by using a permutation of letters: San Diego (SAN) and Orange County (SNA)
40. Ah, SAN or SNA? That is the question.....

Hmmmmm......time for the envelope, please......

And the answer is......Orange County! Here's the sched.....

AA 1200: Bakersfield (BFL) 7:52a - 8:46a Orange County (SNA) 9:26a - 3:14p Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 4:40p - 7:38p Montreal Dorval (YUL)
Freq: Daily
Equip: 757
Meal services: Lunch SNA-ORD, Dinner ORD-YUL

I believe this was the only time that a mainline jet aircraft type was operated nonstop between BFL and SNA.

So was the B757-200 operated by American Airlines the largest aircraft type ever to serve little ol' Bakersfield on a scheduled basis? Well, it wasn't as that distinction goes to United. Once upon a time, UA operated the Super DC-8-61 between LAX and BFL. The D8S would operate as the last flight of the night from LAX and then RON at BFL before returning to LAX as the first UA flight of the day. This was back before deregulation when United was also operating B727-100 and B737-200 service into Bakersfield.

BTW, American was operating all of its nonstop service from Orange County to Chicago O'Hare with 757 equipment at this time with six departures a day while United was also flying the 757 nonstop on the SNA-ORD route with three departures a day plus one 757 one stop flight and one A320 one stop flight.

And also BTW, many moons ago I remember flying on board an AA 707 from ORD to YUL on a fine spring day.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 16, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
Meridiana (IG) using a BAe 146-200
57. Correct! Here's the sched....

IG 3531: Florence (FLR) 08:00 - 10:15 London Gatwick (LGW)
Equip: 146
Service classes: C/Y
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

I can’t think of any Delta routes that would make sense, and Eastern was already gone by then, so how about Northwest via DTW and MSP? (That last leg would have been pretty close to the DC-9-30’s range but still doable.)
46. Northwest operating a DC-9-30 is correct!

However, Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) wasn't the second stop as it was actually the first stop.

So we are still looking for the second stop here.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
46. Northwest operating a DC-9-30 is correct!

However, Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) wasn't the second stop as it was actually the first stop.

So we are still looking for the second stop here.
IIRC, NW's route authority to YVR at that time was, from all places, GEG so EWR-MSP-GEG-YVR?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
IIRC, NW's route authority to YVR at that time was, from all places, GEG so EWR-MSP-GEG-YVR?
46. Correct! Here's the sched....

NW 617: New York Newark (EWR) 1:45p - 3:43p Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 4:40p - 5:43p Spokane (GEG) 6:20p - 7:24p Vancouver (YVR)
Equip: D9S
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Lunch in F & Snack in Y, EWR-MSP; Dinner in F/Y, MSP-GEG

Northwest was operating two daily round trip flights between MSP and YVR in the fall of 1994 (the other NW service was operated with a 72S) and all of their flights made a stop in Spokane in both directions. BTW, Northwest was not operating direct service from YVR to the NYC area at this time.

So why the stop at GEG? Well, if memory serves me correctly, Spokane was one of the cities near the Canadian border that was authorized to have transborder service courtesy of a prior agreement between Canada and the U.S. before air service was liberalized between the two countries. And besides Vancouver - Spokane, I believe Calgary (YYC) - Spokane was included in this agreement as well. Other airlines operating flights between the U.S. and Canada whose round trip services made a stop in Spokane over the years included:

* Frontier (FL) operating DEN-GEG-YVR and DEN-SLC-GEG-YVR - Equip: B737-200, MD-80
* Continental (CO) operating DEN-GEG-YVR - Equip: B727-100, B727-200
* Air West (RW) operating BFI-GEG-YYC - Equip: F-27
* Hughes Airwest (RW) operating LAS-GEG-YYC, and LAX-LAS-GEG-YYC - Equip: DC-9-10, DC-9-30
* Cascade (CZ) operating SEA-GEG-YYC - Equip: BAC One-Eleven
* United (UA) operating SFO-GEG-YYC and ORD-GEG-YYC - Equip: B727-200

Perhaps someone else can provide additional information concerning this old transborder air service agreement between Canada and the U.S.....

And also BTW, had I reversed the direction of travel with regard to this quiz item and had thus asked the identity of the only airline operating direct service from Vancouver to New York City in the fall of 1994, your answer concerning United would have been correct. In fact, UA was operating three direct flights a day from YVR to the NYC area at this time. Here are the eastbound scheds....

UA 630: Vancouver (YVR) 6:52a - 12:44p Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 1:30p - 4:34p New York La Guardia (LGA)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays
Equip: B737-300

UA 656: Vancouver (YVR) 7:55a - 8:41a Seattle (SEA) 10:00a - 3:35p Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 4:30p - 7:37p New York Newark (EWR)
Equip: DC-10

UA 302: Vancouver (YVR) 12:00n - 12:48p Seattle (SEA) 2:00p - 5:21p Denver (DEN) 6:09p - 11:36p New York Newark (EWR)
Equip: B727-200

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 16, 2019 at 5:52 pm Reason: included equipment on other historical GEG - YVR/YYC airline service
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA
51. This airline was operating nonstop jet service twice a day from Belfast International Airport (BFS) to London Luton Airport (LTN) These flights were operated with same aircraft type which featured an all-coach class (Y) seating configuration. Name the air carrier and the equipment
This was a time when things were different every year, at the start of deregulated services. I seem to recall that Britannia Airways had an early shot at this one, with their Boeing 737-200s.

58. This airline was operating daily nonstop service from Florence (FLR) to London Stansted (STN). Name the air carrier and the equipment.
This was in the early days of the Stansted "new terminal". Lets try AirUK, with a BAe146.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I continue to thoroughly enjoy, almost look forward, to this now LEGENDARY thread! I absolutely LOVE when there are a few questions thrown in from the late Eighties/Early-to-mid 1990's!

That's when I recall growing up outside IAH, my folks were snowbirds, so we can add BGR/PQI/PWM in the mix.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
51. This was a time when things were different every year, at the start of deregulated services. I seem to recall that Britannia Airways had an early shot at this one, with their Boeing 737-200s.

58. This was in the early days of the Stansted "new terminal". Lets try AirUK, with a BAe146.
And we have two more correct answers.....

51. Here are the Britannia scheds....

BY 771: Belfast (BFS) 09:20 - 10:20 London Luton (LTN)
Freq: Daily except Sundays
Equip: 73S
Service class: Y

BY 777: Belfast (BFS) 16:50 - 17:50 London Luton (LTN)
Freq: Sundays only

BY 773: Belfast (BFS) 20:50 - 21:50 London Luton (LTN)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays

58. Here are the AirUK scheds....

UK 925: Florence (FLR) 13:35 - 16:05 London Stansted (STN)
Freq: Daily except Sundays

UK 927: Florence (FLR) 15:20 - 17:50 London Stansted (STN)
Freq: Sundays only
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
I continue to thoroughly enjoy, almost look forward, to this now LEGENDARY thread! I absolutely LOVE when there are a few questions thrown in from the late Eighties/Early-to-mid 1990's!

That's when I recall growing up outside IAH, my folks were snowbirds, so we can add BGR/PQI/PWM in the mix.
Thank you for your kind words! We pretty much keep to ourselves in our little corner of FT.

And when Seat 2A started this thread some years ago, he really did not think it would last very long.....but, of course, it has and here we are today.

So with that, how about some new additional quiz items?

63. It's 1982 and you are in Pasadena, California where you've been visiting with your parents. Your old sailing buddy in Santa Barbara has just called and has asked you to travel to Fort Lauderdale to take a look at a catamaran that's for sale. Your first thought is to catch a flight to FLL from LAX. But then you find there is a direct flight from Burbank which, of course, is the closest commercially served airport to Pasadena. This service makes four stops en route from BUR to FLL and better yet a front cabin seat is available. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

64. Now it's 1983 and you are in London where you've just successfully concluded a round of business meetings. It's time to get away and have some fun, preferably to an exotic location where there are sailboats, tropical reefs, cool drinks and friendly ladies! So how about Tahiti? Well, there just happens to be a direct one stop flight from London to Tahiti which operates twice a week and first class is available. Name the air carrier, the airport you will depart from in the London area, the stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

These next two quiz items both have a time line of the fall of 1993....

65. Continental Airlines was not directly operating flights from Amsterdam (AMS) to Houston Intercontinental (IAH) at this time. However, they were providing service from AMS to IAH in association with a European based air carrier with a schedule being listed in the OAG. Passengers bound for Houston on CO from Amsterdam would board a narrow body jet at AMS and fly to a connecting airport in Europe. A connection would then be made to a wide body jet operated by Continental for the transatlantic flight to IAH. Identify the airline that operated the flight from AMS as well as the equipment and also name the airport where the connection was made plus the wide body aircraft type operated by CO on this service.

65. If you wanted to fly to Houston (IAH) nonstop from Belize City (BZE) on board a Boeing 737-300 at this time, what airline would you call? ANSWERED

The following quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1994......

67. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from Aruba (AUA) to Houston (IAH) at this time with the service being operated three days a week. Identify this air carrier and the equipment.

68. What was the largest aircraft type being operated nonstop from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Houston (IAH) and what airline operated it?

69. American Airlines was operating three round trip flights a day between their Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) hub and Vancouver, B.C. (YVR). However, AA did not have the authority to fly nonstop between DFW and YVR at this time and so one stop had to be made en route in both directions. This stop was made at the same airport on all of these flights. Name the airport where the stop was made. ANSWERED

70. Delta Air Lines was operating three round trip flights a day between their Atlanta (ATL) hub and Toronto (YYZ). However, DL did not have the authority to fly nonstop between ATL and YYZ at this time and so one stop had to be made en route in both directions. This stop was made at the same airport on all of these flights. Identify the airport where the stop was made. ANSWERED

71. This airline was operating the only direct service from New Orleans (MSY) to Portland, Maine (PWM) at this time with two stops being made en route. Identify the airline, the two stops and the equipment.

72. This air carrier was operating the only direct service from West Palm Beach (PBI) to Bangor, Maine (BGR) at this time with two stops being made en route. Name the air carrier, the two stops and the aircraft type.

73. You are in Lafayette, Louisiana (LFT) and need to travel to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW). You would greatly prefer to fly on board a jet on this trip. You then find a direct flight that makes one stop en route with this service being operated with jet equipment. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 18, 2019 at 3:23 pm Reason: added a couple of more....and answer updates
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:08 pm

65. If you wanted to fly to Houston (IAH) nonstop from Belize City (BZE) on board a Boeing 737-300 at this time, what airline would you call?
Time for some more guess work....

Aviateca (GU)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:13 pm

64. Now it's 1983 and you are in London where you've just successfully concluded a round of business meetings. It's time to get away and have some fun, preferably to an exotic location where there are sailboats, tropical reefs, cool drinks and friendly ladies! So how about Tahiti? Well, there just happens to be a direct one stop flight from London to Tahiti which operates twice a week and first class is available. Name the air carrier, the airport you will depart from in the London area, the stop and the aircraft type.
No laughing please...

Air New Zealand, Boeing 747-200 from London-Gatwick via LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.