Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

18- I’m drawing a blank as to whether Northwest was still operating into FAI in early 1985, so let’s go with United running a redeye FAI-Anchorage (ANC)-Chicago (ORD) and then continuing to MIA, both flights operating with a DC-8-71
18. Correct! Here are the scheds.....

UA 64: Fairbanks (FAI) 7:00p - 7:55p Anchorage (ANC) 8:50p - 5:40a Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Freq: Operated on Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Equip: D8S
Meal service: Dinner ANC-ORD

Connecting to....

UA 568: Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 8:14a - 12:04p Miami (MIA)
Freq: Daily
Equip: D8S
Meal service: Breakfast

Now I think we can safely say the "D8S" equipment listed above were indeed DC-8-71 airplanes featuring new, high bypass GE/SNECMA CFM-56 turbofan engines. Perhaps Seat 2A can confirm whether UA was operating the DC-8 series 71 into Fairbanks back in 1985. I believe United was the first airline to begin the "Super 70" conversion process with a DC-8-61 back in 1980. I also think that by 1986 the "Super 70" conversion process was in its final stages with 110 "Super 60" series aircraft eventually being converted. The result was 53 DC-8-71s, 7 DC-8-72s and 50 DC-8-73s. BTW, I believe the last DC-8 to be converted was a series 62 and that this DC-8-72 is still in operation as a research aircraft flown by NASA.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
AirPac with a BAe 146-100
17. Correct! There were several Alaska Airlines Commuter Carriers operating from Anchorage at this time. For example, Era Aviation was operating DHC-7 Dash 7 service on behalf of Alaska Airlines between Anchorage and Valdez (AS had previously operated Boeing 727-100 service between ANC and VDZ which must have been interesting). But let's get back to AirPac. According to the OAG, AirPac was operating BAe 146 service on behalf of Alaska Airlines between Anchorage and Dutch Harbor and King Salmon with "AS" flight numbers being used on these flights.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

If it isn’t Reno Air, then I’d guess Delta (as they were the only other U.S. operator of the type, and I believe the only remaining one) from SLC. (I recall they were mostly based there.)
Please see my response to Seat 2A above!
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
26. British Midland (BD) was definitely operating nonstop service from Palma (PMI) on the island of Mallorca to London Heathrow at this time....but not with a Boeing 737-300, -400 or -500.

And the other airline wasn't Iberia nor was the equipment an MD-87. In fact, the air carrier in question was not based in Spain.

Please guess again!
British Midland must have been using DC-9-32 at that time then.
I'm struggling to come up with the other airline if it wasn't Spanish.
I don't think British Airways were flying that route but as I've nothing to lose, BA with a 737-400.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Now I think we can safely say the "D8S" equipment listed above were indeed DC-8-71 airplanes featuring new, high bypass GE/SNECMA CFM-56 turbofan engines. Perhaps Seat 2A can confirm whether UA was operating the DC-8 series 71 into Fairbanks back in 1985. I believe United was the first airline to begin the "Super 70" conversion process with a DC-8-61 back in 1980. I also think that by 1986 the "Super 70" conversion process was in its final stages with 110 "Super 60" series aircraft eventually being converted. The result was 53 DC-8-71s, 7 DC-8-72s and 50 DC-8-73s. BTW, I believe the last DC-8 to be converted was a series 62 and that this DC-8-72 is still in operation as a research aircraft flown by NASA.
I commenced my year of free, unlimited First Class travel on United in March of 1985. By then, all of the DC-8-61s - including the ex-JAL model - had been converted to -71s. And yes, I flew the DC-8-71 on the ORD-ANC-FAI route on a couple of occasions. It was a sad day (for me, at least) when the D8S on this route was replaced by a 767-200.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

British Midland must have been using DC-9-32 at that time then.
I'm struggling to come up with the other airline if it wasn't Spanish.
I don't think British Airways were flying that route but as I've nothing to lose, BA with a 737-400.
26. Yep, British Midland was operating daily nonstop D9S service on the PMI-LHR route at this time.

However, the other air carrier wasn't British Airways.....but the airline in question was operating a Boeing 737 on their daily PMI-LHR nonstop service.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I commenced my year of free, unlimited First Class travel on United in March of 1985. By then, all of the DC-8-61s - including the ex-JAL model - had been converted to -71s. And yes, I flew the DC-8-71 on the ORD-ANC-FAI route on a couple of occasions. It was a sad day (for me, at least) when the D8S on this route was replaced by a 767-200.
Thanks Seat 2A!

Meantime, the Saints are not exactly setting the world on fire this afternoon down in the N.O. Superdome in their last game of the regular season as the score is Carolina Panthers 23 - Saints 0 at half time.....but, of course, the Saints are in an excellent position going into the playoffs. Geaux Saints!!!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
16. This airline was operating Pan Am Express service with Convair 580 equipment nonstop between one major airport in the U.S. and four domestic destinations. The aircraft were not painted in Pan Am Express livery but retained the livery of the air carrier which operated the service. Identify this airline and the major U.S. airport served by these Pan Am Express flights.

I flew into Detroit aboard a Pan Am L1011-500 back then, and I believe Republic Airlines is the airline we're looking for here, operating its ex-North Central 580s from DTW onward to a variety of regional destinations.

23. It's been a great ski trip in Vail, Colorado but it's time to get back to work. And once again you are headed to San Francisco. You are booked on a nonstop flight to SFO from the Eagle County Airport (EGE) which departs at high noon. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

Well, I'm drawing a blank here. If the aircraft type was a Boeing, from a western destination, I'm thinking Continental or America West.. Given the latter's focus on its PHX hub, let's go with Continental operating a 737-300.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:07 pm

26. Yep, British Midland was operating daily nonstop D9S service on the PMI-LHR route at this time.

However, the other air carrier wasn't British Airways.....but the airline in question was operating a Boeing 737 on their daily PMI-LHR nonstop service.
Only thing that springs to mind would be VIVA Air (FV) with a 737-300, but they were Spanish.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
16. This airline was operating Pan Am Express service with Convair 580 equipment nonstop between one major airport in the U.S. and four domestic destinations. The aircraft were not painted in Pan Am Express livery but retained the livery of the air carrier which operated the service. Identify this airline and the major U.S. airport served by these Pan Am Express flights.

I flew into Detroit aboard a Pan Am L1011-500 back then, and I believe Republic Airlines is the airline we're looking for here, operating its ex-North Central 580s from DTW onward to a variety of regional destinations.

23. It's been a great ski trip in Vail, Colorado but it's time to get back to work. And once again you are headed to San Francisco. You are booked on a nonstop flight to SFO from the Eagle County Airport (EGE) which departs at high noon. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

Well, I'm drawing a blank here. If the aircraft type was a Boeing, from a western destination, I'm thinking Continental or America West.. Given the latter's focus on its PHX hub, let's go with Continental operating a 737-300.
16. Correct! Republic was operating Convair 580 service between Detroit and Appleton, Akron/Canton, Erie and South Bend as Pan Am Express. Republic also operated its DC9, D9S and 72S equipment on Pan Am Express service between Detroit and various RC destinations.

BTW, two other airlines operating Pan Am Express service at this same time were Empire with the Fokker F28 and Air Atlanta with the Boeing 727.

23. Not so blank, sir! The airline wasn't Continental....but it was America West with a Boeing 737-300. Here's the sched...

HP 3111: Vail/Eagle County Airport (EGE) 12:00n - 1:30p San Francisco (SFO)
Op: Saturdays only
Equip: 733
Meal service: Snack

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 30, 2018 at 1:54 pm Reason: additional info
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only thing that springs to mind would be VIVA Air (FV) with a 737-300, but they were Spanish.
26. Please guess again, sir!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

26. Big time apologies to KT550! The air carrier in question was based in Spain and VIVA Air (FV) is correct!

Must have been that ridiculous home game the New Orleans Saints played today in which they lost to the Carolina Panthers that created utter confusion and complete chaos in my somewhat aged brain.......

Actually, I misread the two letter code and thought it was another airline.....
strickerj and KT550 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to two and no more than three quiz items per day so that all may have a chance to participate. Thanks!

The 1960's.....

2. In 1963 this air carrier was operating "Sky-Bus" service between Miami and two cities located in the eastern U.S. The daily flight originated in Miami in the morning and flew nonstop to the first destination and then continued on to the second destination. Following a ground time of one hour and 18 minutes, the "Sky-Bus" service then returned to Miami in the afternoon by the same routing. Name the airline that operated this "Sky-Bus" service , the equipment and the two cities served from Miami. ANSWERED

3. It's 1966 and you have been visiting the rain forest in the Amazon basin in Brazil. Your river vessel has just docked at Belem near the coast on a Sunday morning and you are preparing to return to work which will involve a trip to New York City. There's a flight that operates once a week on Sundays from Belem to New York City which makes four intermediate stops en route. You'll depart at high noon and arrive in New York City late that same day. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The 1970's......

5. It's 1971 and you have been invited on a fishing trip in British Columbia. You'll meet your friends and their boat in Tahsis, B.C. on a Friday morning. The boat will then drop you off at Bella Coola, B.C. on the morning of the following Friday. This means you will have to fly from Vancouver (YVR) to Tahsis and then return by air to YVR from Bella Coola. You will travel on board different aircraft types on these flights. The flight north will make one intermediate stop and the flight south will be nonstop. So with all this in mind, what airline (or airlines) will you be flying on, where will you stop on the flight north and what type of equipment will you be traveling on each flight?

6. If you wanted to fly out of Fort Nelson, B.C. on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra in 1973 what air carrier would you call? The Canadian-based airline in question wasn't Pacific Western or NWT Air and was only serving two other destinations besides Fort Nelson at this time

9. It's 1975 and your friends who live in Coral Gables have once again invited you to their annual birthday party dinner. However, they will not be in Florida. The party will take place instead in Grand Cayman so you will need to make a same day connection from one airline to another. You are in Los Angeles and have plenty of time so how about starting your journey with a good old fashioned transcontinental milk run in first class? Ah, here's an interesting flight: you'll depart LAX at 7:00 am and arrive into your connecting airport that evening with five intermediate stops being made en route. Then, following a comfortable connecting time of two hours and 42 minutes, you'll board a nonstop flight to GCM arriving that night. So with all this in mind, name both airlines, all five stops in order made by the first flight, the connecting airport and the different aircraft types operated on each flight. ANSWERED

The 1980's......

10. It's a beautiful spring day in 1981 and you are in Washington, D.C. where you have just completed a project work assignment as an consultant. A good friend is getting married in Freeport, Illinois (which, by the way, is known as "Pretzel City, USA"). You have identified the closest airport to Freeport which has direct air service from the Washington, D.C. area and have booked a seat on a flight which will make two intermediate stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in the Washington area, the airport you will arrive into, the air carrier you'll be flying on, the two stops and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The next four quiz items have a time line of 1985.....

12. You have been invited to make a presentation in Omaha with a major contract being at stake. Your present location is Sacramento and you have found a direct two stop flight from SMF to OMA. You book a seat. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

13. Your presentation in Omaha concerning the potential major contract could not have been more well received. And then you hear the following statement while you are having lunch with your new prospective client: "There's just one more thing you have to do to seal the deal. Our CEO who is also the owner of the company will be Spokane tomorrow morning and would like to meet with you. Think you can arrange to get up there this evening?" Well, where there is a will, there is a way! You quickly ascertain there is a direct two stop flight departing OMA at 5:25 pm which will get you into GEG at 10:00 pm. Name the airline you'll be flying on, the two stops and the equipment.

14. The meeting with the CEO and company owner in Spokane was excellent! In fact, he has invited you to fly with him on board his new Dassault Falcon 50 business trijet back to Omaha for contract execution. High over Wyoming, you ask him...."Why a three engine biz jet?" "Well", he responds, "we fly into several high elevation airfields in Colorado where we have vacation properties. In fact, we have even taken this jet into the airport at Leadville which I believe is one of the highest airfields in North America. This airplane also has excellent short field performance, especially in hot and high conditions." "Ah," you say, "would you believe that Rocky Mountain Airways actually operated Twin Otter service into Leadville back in the day and in fact......" However, you are interrupted by his executive assistant who hands a phone to the CEO/owner. Obviously a very important phone call. Suffice to say that you execute the contract upon your return to Omaha. Now it's time to celebrate and so you make a phone call...."So where are you and where's the boat?" "Hey buddy!" says a familiar voice, "We just docked the cat at the marina in Laguna Beach! The girls will join us tomorrow morning and we'll then set sail up the coast to Santa Barbara! Think you can make it down here tonight?" Well, of course you can! There's a direct flight departing OMA at 6:04 pm which will get you into the closest airport to Laguna Beach just before 9 pm with two intermediate stops being made. Identify the airline, both stops, the aircraft type and the airport you will arrive into in southern California. ANSWERED

15. The sail trip up to Santa Barbara was great and you have now made your way north to the San Francisco Bay Area via the "Coast Starlight" passenger train for a weekend visit with your Aunt and Uncle. You now need to return to Seattle on business and have found an interesting direct two stop flight that departs SFO at 2:15 pm on Sunday afternoon which will arrive into SEA in time for a late dinner with the client. As you check in for this flight, the ticket agent tells you, "Just so you know, this flight changes flight numbers at the first stop. You'll be on the same plane all the way through, of course, and on the ground at the first stop for only 45 minutes". Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.
Still looking for answers for the above.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 5, 2019 at 9:45 am Reason: answer updates & correction concerning # 6 as the airline in question served Fort Nelson, B.C.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Continuing on with the 1980's.....

The next two quiz items have a time line of 1985.....

19. It's a beautiful spring day in Toronto as you prepare to board your flight to Vancouver. You've elected to travel on board a flight that will make four intermediate stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all four stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment.

20. You are in Minneapolis/St. Paul and need to travel to Huntsville, Alabama in order to attend a symposium at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. Ah, here's a convenient flight departing MSP at lunch time which will get you into HSV in time for dinner. Two stops will be made and you'll have on board snack service not once but twice. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

21. It's 1986 and you are in Van Nuys where your breakfast meeting with a new client has just successfully concluded. You are now off to Milwaukee for a business dinner that same evening. Now you were planning to drive down Interstate 405 to LAX and catch a flight....but wait! There's a flight departing from Burbank just before 11 am that will get you into Milwaukee just after 5 pm. One stop will be made en route and better yet a first class window seat is available! Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.

And into the 1990's......

The next two quiz items have a time line of 1991.......

22. Well, you thought your business meeting in Morristown, New Jersey concerning negotiation of a new contract would last most of the day and you would then possibly be able to catch a nonstop flight from Newark to San Francisco that same evening (in first class, of course). However, shortly after coffee was served, the new contract document arrived as well.....already signed! So you are now in the back seat of the limo thoughtfully provided by your new client heading down the Route 24 freeway in the general direction of EWR. Traffic is not too bad and you figure you will arrive at the terminal around 10:30 am. And you also think there should be a nonstop from EWR to SFO departing around 12 noon or during the early afternoon, right? Wrong. Upon arrival at Newark Airport at 10:20 am, you find the next nonstop flight to San Francisco (which just happens to be operated by Continental with an A300) will not depart until 5:25 pm. Now there's got to be a better and quicker way.....and there is. You discover a one stop direct flight departing EWR just after high noon which will get you into SFO before 5 pm. And at the check in desk for this flight, you are offered an upgrade to first class. You're in! Identify the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

24. What a beautiful Saturday afternoon in Montego Bay! You've just assisted in delivering a 54 foot catamaran to a tour company and are now getting ready for a quick snorkel swim followed by cocktails and dinner with local friends. And then the phone rings....."Hey buddy, can you meet me Monday morning at the Berkeley Marina in the S.F. Bay Area? I've found the sailboat our guy in Maui is looking to purchase and we need to move on it very quickly!" Well, at least your plans for the evening are intact.....and after a bit of research you find you will have some time for fun the next morning as well. You will depart from Montego Bay on Sunday afternoon on board a long nonstop flight. You will then connect to another airline for a very short nonstop flight to your final destination which just happens to be the airport located the least distance from the Berkeley Marina. You will also have exactly one hour to make your interline connection. Identify both airlines, the connecting airport, the two different aircraft types you'll be flying on and the airport you will arrive into at your final destination. ANSWERED

The next two quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1999.....

28. You've just wrapped up an early afternoon meeting in Oak Forest, Illinois and are now ready to head to Los Angeles. Now you could drive over to Chicago O'Hare and catch a nonstop.....but Chicago Midway is just right up the road via state route 50 and you've discovered a one stop flight offering first class departing MDW for LAX in the late afternoon. Perfect! Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

29. What was the largest aircraft type being operated nonstop from Chicago O'Hare to Las Vegas at this time and what airline operated it? Please be very specific concerning the equipment. ANSWERED
The above remain unanswered as well. And this makes post number 7,000 since yours truly joined FT!

Happy New Years Eve, Everyone!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2019 at 5:13 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
The above remain unanswered as well. And this makes post number 7,000 since yours truly joined FT!

Happy New Years Eve, Everyone!
and a happy New Years Eve to you as well sir!

cleanup:
14- Frontier MD-80 OMA-SNA with two stops, one being DEN, one not being LAS ... let's go with Lincoln NE (LNK) as the first stop
24- SFO-OAK MD-80, not CO, not US ... the hint about "positioning flight" suggests Chester on the tail (i.e., Alaska)

(if you want to pat yourself on the back again, you can do so in the "7000 Post Club" thread)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.