Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
10. You live in Montreal and want to take your family to Disney World sometime in early 1986. Although Miami and Tampa have always been well served with nonstop flights from Montreal, Orlando has not. Thank goodness your travel agent managed to book you all in First Class on a direct one-stop flight to Orlando. Unfortunately, it departs from way out at Mirabel International Airport. Surely you know the drill by now: Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.
It's not Nationair. Nor is it flown by a McDonnell Douglas built aircraft

I believe that People Express attempted to serve Montreal at one point but their service did not last very long. So perhaps they served Mirabel instead of Dorval. If so, the equipment may have been a B727-200 with a stop at the PE hub at Newark.

People Express is a good guess. Unfortunately, per the schedule I reference it does not work - though it may have at a later time. jrl767's point about the lack of First Class on PE is valid as discussed in the above posts. At least in early 1986 it was. I speak from experience as in March of 1986 I flew aboard an all-Economy Class PE 727-227 from Newark up to Montreal Mirabel as a positioning flight which allowed me to fly First Class aboard an Aerolineas Argentinas 747-287 LV-OPA from YMX down to Miami via JFK. I remember pheasant being served from the trolley (unfortunately very dry, overcooked pheasant) and some Argentine Senators lighting up cigars after the meal.

The YMX-JFK route allowed me some great 5th freedom flights over the years, including my only flight aboard an IL-62 OK Jet as operated by CSA.

But I digress. We're looking for an airline other than People Express - one that did not fly the 727-200 but did offer First Class. Please - guess again!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I remember pheasant being served from the trolley (unfortunately very dry, overcooked pheasant)
We're coming up to the anniversary of my one time I cooked a pheasant as well.

It was Christmas Day. Leaving the house at breakfast time, Mrs WHBM and I drove down lovely, completely traffic-free roads westwards from London, to join others of the family for Christmas lunch. A few hours later, if you know it on the A35 road approaching Dorchester, just at the point where Thomas Hardy set "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and other novels (his former house is alongside the road), we came over a hillcrest at about 80mph. A pheasant just strolled out across the otherwise deserted main road. They are notably stupid birds, and although it walked slowly clear, it then just turned around and ran back at the last second. WHAM !¬ we hit it. Feathers everywhere, and quite a thump. However, checking later there seemed no permanent damage that a car wash could not deal with.

Fast forward several months. It was spring, probably end of March. The car went in for routine servicing. Mid-morning there was a phone call from the Jaguar dealer. "Mr WHBM ? Yes, service manager here. We ... um ... er ... we have found, jammed in right at the back of the radiator, we have found ... an animal". "Oh, could it be a pheasant ? I hit one on Christmas Day". "Yes, that would be it. Well, sir, I can only say that it's spent 3 months jammed behind the radiator being cooked".

I bet even the most incompetent Aerolineas Argentinas chef would never have got it to that condition. Very dry, very overcooked.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by WHBM
We're coming up to the anniversary of my one time I cooked a pheasant as well.

It was Christmas Day. Leaving the house at breakfast time, Mrs WHBM and I drove down lovely, completely traffic-free roads westwards from London, to join others of the family for Christmas lunch. A few hours later, if you know it on the A35 road approaching Dorchester, just at the point where Thomas Hardy set "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and other novels (his former house is alongside the road), we came over a hillcrest at about 80mph. A pheasant just strolled out across the otherwise deserted main road. They are notably stupid birds, and although it walked slowly clear, it then just turned around and ran back at the last second. WHAM !¬ we hit it. Feathers everywhere, and quite a thump. However, checking later there seemed no permanent damage that a car wash could not deal with.

Fast forward several months. It was spring, probably end of March. The car went in for routine servicing. Mid-morning there was a phone call from the Jaguar dealer. "Mr WHBM ? Yes, service manager here. We ... um ... er ... we have found, jammed in right at the back of the radiator, we have found ... an animal". "Oh, could it be a pheasant ? I hit one on Christmas Day". "Yes, that would be it. Well, sir, I can only say that it's spent 3 months jammed behind the radiator being cooked".

I bet even the most incompetent Aerolineas Argentinas chef would never have got it to that condition. Very dry, very overcooked.
Well, don’t leave us hanging - how’d it taste?
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
You will have to ask the mechanic ... !
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by strickerj

I'd imagine it would taste like a well done pheasant jerky (a la Jaguar). And very well done indeed. I'll have to ask one of my Cajun friends about this.

Meantime, what a complete mess at London Gatwick today. The airport has been closed since last night due to illegal drone activity. I hope they catch perpetrators.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Alright then - let's clear these off the board. You can do it!!

. It’s 1988 and you live in Boca Raton, Florida. One afternoon you come across an ad in your Sunday newspaper’s Travel Section for an airline offering great fares and nonstop flights five times weekly between nearby Ft. Lauderdale and Antigua. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon from Ft. Lauderdale to Antigua.
HINT: The aircraft was a Boeing 727 and this airline also offered a couple of flights out of New York

2. In the "Good Old Days" United used to operate nonstop DC-8 Jet Mainliner service between Los Angeles and Milwaukee. In early 1986 however, nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Milwaukee are nonexistent. United’s one-stopper through Denver is sold out, so you’ve booked yourself on a two stop flight aboard one of the new crop of airlines that sprung up after deregulation eight years ago. It departs LA at 11:30 am and arrives Milwaukee with plenty of time for dinner with your cousins. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.
HINT: One of the intermediate stops was in Omaha for this Boeing built aircraft

4. Back in the good old days, if you wanted to get from Indianapolis to Ft. Myers, Florida you just called Eastern and hopped on a "Whisperliner" via Atlanta. All of the flights offered First Class back then, too. Now in 1998 there's a local Indianapolis based airline but they are an all-economy class operation. How gauche! Thankfully one airline flies nonstop from Indy to Ft. Myers that still offers First Class. You call them and book a First Class seat on the afternoon departure. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
A N S W E R E D

5. In 1981 this U.S. airline’s complete time table showed a total of 28 flights, all of them operating in one direction or another between just two cities with one jet aircraft type. Identify the airline and the single jet type it operated.

7. A thorough perusal of the 1973 North American OAG revealed just three airlines that operated the Hawker Siddeley 748. Which ones were they?
LIAT and AeroMexico have been identified. The airline we're looking for was from Canada

9. You just got a call from an old college roommate to ask if you could make it out to the Grand Opening celebration of his new guitar shop San Francisco. Well sure, why not?! When is it? Saturday evening at 6:00pm. Right on! A quick check of the March 1988 schedules reveals two airlines offering nonstop service from Kansas City to SFO, one of which offers First Class, the other only coach. You quickly book a First Class seat to San Francisco departing on Saturday morning. Identify the airline as well as the aircraft type to be flown.
A N S W E R E D

10. You live in Montreal and want to take your family to Disney World sometime in early 1986. Although Miami and Tampa have always been well served with nonstop flights from Montreal, Orlando has not. Thank goodness your travel agent managed to book you all in First Class on a direct one-stop flight to Orlando. Unfortunately, it departs from way out at Mirabel International Airport. Surely you know the drill by now: Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.
HINT: The airline we're looking operated two jet types, one of which was not produced in the U.S.

19. Awright now, here’s your challenge: It’s 1998. You live in Montreal, Quebec and you want to fly to Los Angeles, California with all of the flights being aboard 4-engine jets. The problem is there just aren’t all that many 4-engine jets left flying around these big broad countries we live in. Even so, you’ve found a routing utilizing two airlines involving a single connection, although you will have to overnight at the connecting point. The flight to the connecting city has one enroute stop. Can you figure out the airlines, aircraft and the routing? I’m pretty sure it is the only way to fly all 4 engine jets between Montreal and LA.
A N S W E R E D

Bonus Trivia Question: What is the combined mileage of all of the taxiways and runways at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 21, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

4. Back in the good old days, if you wanted to get from Indianapolis to Ft. Myers, Florida you just called Eastern and hopped on a "Whisperliner" via Atlanta. All of the flights offered First Class back then, too. Now in 1998 there's a local Indianapolis based airline but they are an all-economy class operation. How gauche! Thankfully one airline flies nonstop from Indy to Ft. Myers that still offers First Class. You call them and book a First Class seat on the afternoon departure. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
HINT: This airline ordered an MD-90 that was painted in its colors but was never delivered due to the airline's having ceased operations

19. Awright now, here’s your challenge: It’s 1998. You live in Montreal, Quebec and you want to fly to Los Angeles, California with all of the flights being aboard 4-engine jets. The problem is there just aren’t all that many 4-engine jets left flying around these big broad countries we live in. Even so, you’ve found a routing utilizing two airlines involving a single connection, although you will have to overnight at the connecting point. The flight to the connecting city has one enroute stop. Can you figure out the airlines, aircraft and the routing? I’m pretty sure it is the only way to fly all 4 engine jets between Montreal and LA.
HINT: The enroute stops are both in the U.S. First Class is available on one of the airlines... The aircraft involved were not built in the U.S.
4. Ah, the clue concerning the undelivered MD-90 is very helpful. And this sounds like Pro Air operating a B737-400.

19. Well, get ready for my wildest guess ever: Northwest Airlink (or NW Jetlink) operated by Mesaba with an Avro RJ85 configured with first and coach classes flying Montreal - Minneapolis/St. Paul - Aspen connecting to an Air Wisconsin flight operated as United Express with a BAe 146-200 in all coach class configuration flying nonstop from Aspen to Los Angeles. And I will be absolutely amazed if this guess is correct.......
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:11 pm

7. A thorough perusal of the 1973 North American OAG revealed just three airlines that operated the Hawker Siddeley 748. Which ones were they?
LIAT and AeroMexico have been identified
C'mon, you guys - surely you must have a strong suspicion on this
Time for some crazy guesswork -

Air Illinois - their first 748, N748LL was delivered late in 1973.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by KT550
Time for some crazy guesswork -
Air Illinois - their first 748, N748LL was delivered late in 1973.
7- we ruled out Air Illinois and Cascade ~3 weeks and ~100 posts ago ... maybe Bahamasair? second (and likely my last on this question) guess would be Air Virginia
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
HINT: This airline ordered an MD-90 that was painted in its colors but was never delivered due to the airline's having ceased operations

Ah, the clue concerning the undelivered MD-90 is very helpful. And this sounds like Pro Air operating a B737-400.

Correct! Pro Air was well regarded for the quality of its full meal service in both First Class and Coach. It was based out of Detroit City Airport, from whence this flight originated. Here's the IND-FMY schedule:

ProAir P9 620 Indianapolis (IND) 425p-650p Ft. Myers (FMY) Boeing 737-400 Dinner Saturday only

HINT: The enroute stops are both in the U.S. First Class is available on one of the airlines... The aircraft involved were not built in the U.S.

Well, get ready for my wildest guess ever: Northwest Airlink (or NW Jetlink) operated by Mesaba with an Avro RJ85 configured with first and coach classes flying Montreal - Minneapolis/St. Paul - Aspen connecting to an Air Wisconsin flight operated as United Express with a BAe 146-200 in all coach class configuration flying nonstop from Aspen to Los Angeles. And I will be absolutely amazed if this guess is correct.......

Well get ready to be amazed, because correct you are! I would love to have flown this itinerary...

NW 3606 Montreal (YUL) 515p-701p Minneapolis (MSP) 800p-930p Aspen (ASE) ARJ Daily (First Class available)
UA 5677 Aspen (ASE) 630p-800p Los Angeles (LAX) 146 Daily
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19. I am truly amazed.....and perhaps Santa Claus is for real as well.

Now if my wait listed upgrades to biz class on a couple of AA B777 flights across the pond will clear ahead of time.... how about it, Santa!
wrp96 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 20, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per KT550: Time for some crazy guesswork - Air Illinois - their first 748, N748LL was delivered late in 1973.
Per jrl767: We ruled out Air Illinois and Cascade ~3 weeks and ~100 posts ago ... Maybe Bahamasair? Second (and likely my last on this question) guess would be Air Virginia

3 weeks and ~100 posts ago ... Has it really been that long? As jrl767 established back then however, timing is everything - as in the OAG I referenced to formulate this question was from earlier in 1973, perhaps just before Air Illinois acquired its first 748. So in a sense, by my not having asked when in 1973, jrl's response was correct. But let's stick then with the OAG I reference - from the first quarter of '73. I checked Bahamasair. Nope. Air Virginia acquired its 748s somewhat later - I believe in 1981.

The airline we're looking for is not a U.S. or Caribbean airline... Please, guess again!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. You just got a call from an old college roommate to ask if you could make it out to the Grand Opening celebration of his new guitar shop San Francisco. Well sure, why not?! When is it? Saturday evening at 6:00pm. Right on! A quick check of the March 1988 schedules reveals two airlines offering nonstop service from Kansas City to SFO, one of which offers First Class, the other only coach. You quickly book a First Class seat to San Francisco departing on Saturday morning. Identify the airline as well as the aircraft type to be flown.
HINT: The airline we're looking for entered the jet age in 1967 and did eventually operate widebody jets

9. Yet another great clue.....and this just might be Piedmont. If so, aircraft may have been a B727-200.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:25 am

December 21. 30 years ago today Pan Am 103 at Lockerbie.

Senior BBC journalist was a junior then

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-466...nd-the-silence

I was in a BA 747 LHR-LAX at the time, having left several hours before. Nothing said, and on arrival it was something that impacted a flight thousands of miles away. Not the case back at home.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LIAT and AeroMexico have been identified. The airline we're looking for was not from the U.S. or the Caribbean
7. Perhaps the air carrier in question was based in Canada. And I seem to recall that a rather obscure regional airline based in Winnipeg by the name of Midwest Airlines operated the HS 748.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.