Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Here's a bit more modern question for y'all to ponder in the ephemera of the Saint's victory -

What is the world's only airline to have all three variants of Boeing's 787 in its fleet?
Well, let's see here.....I think this would be Scoot, the low cost subsidiary of Singapore Airlines.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, let's see here.....I think this would be Scoot, the low cost subsidiary of Singapore Airlines.
It is not Scoot (which operates the 787-8 and 787-9), although parent Company Singapore operates the -10.

We're looking for a single airline that has all three types....
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
It is not Scoot (which operates the 787-8 and 787-9), although parent Company Singapore operates the -10.

We're looking for a single airline that has all three types....
Hmmmm....let's try an air carrier based here in the U.S., being United as I believe they recently took delivery of new B787-10 aircraft.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hmmmm....let's try an air carrier based here in the U.S., being United as I believe they recently took delivery of new B787-10 aircraft.
Spot on, Mr. L. United it is!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spot on, Mr. L. United it is!
My first (and thus far only) flight on board a 787 was from IAH to LAX about a week or so after United placed their first one into revenue service. This particular airplane, being a 787-8, had been originally ordered by Continental (it had the BusinessFirst seats up front which is where I was fortunate enough to sit).....but we know what happened there and CO is now just a fond memory. Then the 787 developed a rather incendiary battery problem and the airplane was grounded for a bit (I seem to recall you were scheduled for your first ride on a 787 which then did not happen due to the battery issue).

BTW, Boeing is now preparing to deliver the 787th 787. Aircraft is a 787-9 for China Southern. I think it's safe to say the 787 production lines in Washington state and South Carolina are humming along rather nicely. Already up to 787 787 airplanes manufactured thus far!

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 24, 2018 at 10:32 am Reason: 787th 787
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BTW, Boeing is now preparing to deliver the 787th 787. Aircraft is a 787-9 for China Southern. I think it's safe to say the 787 production lines in Washington state and South Carolina are humming along rather nicely. Already up to 787 787 airplanes manufactured thus far!
That's really amazing! If this had been a quiz question re. how many 787 deliveries, I would've figured maybe 350 or so. Well done, Boeing! ^

BTW, I've thus far managed 787 flights aboard Air China, Air New Zealand, American, Avianca, Ethiopian, Japan Airlines, Scoot and United. I don't believe I've ever enjoyed such diversity with any other aircraft type over the aircraft's first five years. None of them offered First Class but in my humble opinion the most comfortable and well appointed model was the 787-8 I flew on with Ethiopian - the only one of the above carriers not to have molded plastic suites installed up front.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I believe they have more orders booked for this line then they have total produced for the Queen of the skies which I believe they are at 1540 or so. If you want to follow production news, there is an unofficial blog here: All things 787
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's really amazing! If this had been a quiz question re. how many 787 deliveries, I would've figured maybe 350 or so. Well done, Boeing! ^
Yep, I was surprised as well. Of course, the 787 has a long way to go with regard to catching up with the 737.....and speaking of the 737, little ol' Cayman Airways is about to take delivery of their first B737 MAX 8 as they begin to retire their small fleet of B737-300 aircraft. I've flown with KX a number of times back in the day when they operated B737-200 aircraft in an all coach configuration as well as B737-400 aircraft with first and coach cabins. It was always a nice experience with very good service. Cayman Airways has announced they will begin flying nonstop GCM - DEN this March with the 737-8 and is also considering a new GCM - YVR nonstop as well, although the latter route would require a 900 foot runway extension at Owen Roberts International on Grand Cayman according to the airline. Other destinations under consideration include LAX and SFO with London (via Bermuda) and Brazil being mentioned as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 25, 2018 at 1:02 pm Reason: clarification & correction & additional info
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Greetings from chilly Ester, Alaska. Cold and dark though it is outside, here in my humble abode it's been warm and happy, especially after my Broncos' thrilling victory over the heavily favored Pittsburgh Steelers. Let's celebrate with a starter set of 20 questions. As always, please limit your responses to no more than TWO questions at a time so that all might have a reasonable chance at participation. This doesn't mean you're limited to just 2 per day, but rather just 2 at a time. Once I've addressed your response, go ahead and try another 2.

1. In early 1965, what was the longest flight United was operating with its Douglas DC-6 Mainliners?

2. In early 1986, nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Milwaukee were nonexistent. United’s one-stopper through Denver is sold out, so you’ve booked yourself on a two stop flight aboard a non-trunk airline departing LA at 11:30 am and arriving Milwaukee with plenty of time for dinner with your cousins. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.

3. If you were a plane spotter at Newcastle, England’s N.E. Regional Airport in the summer of 1972, you’d see just two jet types operated by two different airlines. Identify the jets and the airline that flew each type.

4. It’s 1998 and you’d think there’d be proper air service between Indianapolis and Ft. Myers, but NO! Only one airline even offers First Class, so you quickly book a First Class seat on the afternoon departure. At least the flight’s nonstop. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

5. Per the 1973 North American OAG, what was the westernmost destination served by the Lockheed Electra? What airline operated this service?

6. The winter of 1965 has been a chilly one in Kelowna, BC. You’re definitely looking forward to your upcoming vacation in Honolulu even if the only seats available on the date you can travel are aboard all-economy class configured aircraft, even across the Pacific to Honolulu. It goes without saying you’ll have a connection in Vancouver, so see if you can figure out which airline(s) and equipment type(s) you’ll be flying between Kelowna and Honolulu.

7. It’s the summer of 1972 and you find yourself in Ibiza needing to get to Palma, Mallorca for a day and then on to Algiers. Due to a number of previously poor experiences, you refuse to fly the national airline Iberia. It is of no account however as Iberia doesn’t even fly to Algiers. Thankfully, you’ve found an alternative with an airline that can fly you to Palma and then three days later on to Algiers. The aircraft types – both jets – are different for each flight. Identify the airline in question and the aircraft types specific to the IBZ-PMI flight and the PMI-ALG flight.

8. Most people wouldn’t be too excited to leave Honolulu in the late winter, but you’re taking your wife and kids to Orlando and Disney World, so there's that. Better yet, you’ve even found seats aboard a direct two-stop flight to Orlando, although there is a “Change of Gauge” – whatever that means. Identify the airline and aircraft(s) you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.

9. A thorough perusal of the 1973 North American OAG revealed just three airlines that operated the NAMC YS-11. Which ones were they?

10. It’s the Winter of 1965 and as a hotel catering director overseeing a large chain of hotels sprinkled throughout the U.S., Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, your job has you travelling often. Most recently you’ve completed a successful job at your resort in Fort de France, Martinique and are now needed at the Mexico City property. You’re not looking forward to the myriad connections that you expect will be required to get to Mexico City, so you couldn’t be happier to discover a direct flight straight from FDF TO MEX. Upon further inspection - Whut tha - Well, it's not exactly “straight” to MEX.The flight will make seven enroute stops. Identify the airline, the aircraft and each of the enroute stops.

11. It’s 1972 and you’re flying out of Dublin on the only flight utilizing a DC-9 of any variant. Identify the airline and destination you’re flying to.

12. It’s early 1986 and you plan to fly from Cattle Smell - er - Kalispell, Montana down to El Paso, Texas for the annual Cattleman’s Association Awards Dinner. Although you’re expecting to make a connection or two, you’re pleasantly surprised to discover a three-stop direct flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the three intermediate stops.

13. It used to be that Boeing 707s were a common sight across the azure blue waters of the Caribbean. By 1986 however, just one airline still flies the venerable 707 between the U.S. and a Caribbean destination. The flight departs New York’s JFK each Saturday morning at 9:00am, flying nonstop to its destination. Identify the airline and the Caribbean destination served.

14. You live in Oklahoma City and need to get to Las Vegas for a convention. You call Sunworld International only to find out they’re no longer in business. However, a bit more research reveals that in 1998 another airline now serves this route with two daily nonstops. Identify the airline and the equipment it operates on the OKC-LAS route.

15. It’s 1988 and you’ve been living and working in Milwaukee for three years now. Your job involves a fair bit of travel, and nice as Milwaukee is, it’s always nice to have to go to a warm weather destination in the winter. This time it’s Tucson. Although there are no nonstop or even direct flights between Milwaukee and Tucson, your travel agent has found an interesting connection involving two twin-engine jets – one of them foreign built, the other American made. Unfortunately no First Class is offered on either of these flights but it’s a quick connection and as an added bonus there are two snacks served enroute. Identify the airline, connecting city and aircraft types utilized.

16. Remember back in 1986 when you were planning to drive from your home outside Sacramento to have lunch with your sister in San Francisco, but given the morning traffic and the paucity of parking spaces, you decided to fly instead? Best of all, instead of the usual single aisle jet or prop, you managed to book yourself a seat aboard an honest to God widebody aircraft. That was a great flight for such a short route. Identify the airline and aircraft you flew upon.

17. After a relaxing but steamy week in Key West, Florida, you’re looking forward to returning home to the comparative chill of Saint John, New Brunswick. Just to make the return trip more interesting, you’ve consulted your March 1988 Pocket Flight Guide and worked up an entertaining itinerary from Key West right up the eastern seaboard to Saint John (No crazy zig-zagging to the east or west) involving five airlines operating five different types of jets, none of them American built. Four of the flights are less than 400 miles in length. You’ll take one flight the first day, three the next day and one more on the third day. At one connecting point you’ll have to change airports. Based upon what you know of foreign aircraft types operating in the area at this time (1988) and the airlines that operated them, work out the itinerary along with the airlines and aircraft to be flown.

Here are some additional hints:
  • The first two flights are totally within Florida
  • The fourth flight is between the U.S. and Montreal
18. It’s early 1973 and your flight has just landed in Seattle. As you’re taxing to the gate, you notice a Convair propliner lining up for takeoff. Identify the airline and the Convair model that was spotted.
A N S W E R E D

19. The winter of 1998 has been a tough one in Iowa. The thermometer at your home in Des Moines reads 4°F and the weatherman says it’ll be another three weeks before you’ll see any appreciable warmth. A quick call to your travel agent reveals an interesting bit of trivia. There’s only one nonstop flight from the state of Iowa to anywhere in Florida, and thankfully it departs from Des Moines. Book it, Danno! Identify the destination, the airline and the equipment of this flight.
A N S W E R E D

20. Remember back in 1972 when you were in Belfast, N. Ireland and you were looking to fly to Cardiff, Wales? Remember how you hated the high pitched whine of those locally built propjets and how thrilled you were to discover a one stop jet flight direct to Cardiff? Well if you do remember that, can you remember the airline and aircraft you flew on and where that flight stopped?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 26, 2018 at 3:15 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
#20 . Cambrian Airways BAC 1-11, Bristol was the other airport.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Thanks Seat 2A for the new challenges and a chance to switch my overheating head away from my day job for a few minutes every now and then.
3. If you were a plane spotter at Newcastle, England’s N.E. Regional Airport in the summer of 1972, you’d see just two jet types operated by two different airlines. Identify the jets and the airline that flew each type.

As I'm at work I haven't had too much time to think so let's chuck in a couple of wildish guesses :

BAC 1-11 British Midland and
Lockheed L-1011 KLM
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18. It’s early 1973 and your flight has just landed in Seattle. As you’re taxing to the gate, you notice a Convair propliner lining up for takeoff. Identify the airline and the Convair model that was spotted.

19. The winter of 1998 has been a tough one in Iowa. The thermometer at your home in Des Moines reads 4°F and the weatherman says it’ll be another three weeks before you’ll see any appreciable warmth. A quick call to your travel agent reveals an interesting bit of trivia. There’s only one nonstop flight from the state of Iowa to anywhere in Florida, and thankfully it departs from Des Moines. Book it, Danno! Identify the destination, the airline and the equipment of this flight.
18. I believe this would have been Pacific Western operating a Convair 640. If so, I also think the flight would have been departing nonstop to Victoria (YYJ) with continuing service to Vancouver (YVR).

19. This sure sounds like AirTran with nonstop service to Orlando (MCO). Equipment? Well, it was probably either at B737-200 or a DC-9-30. I'll go with a 73S.

And thanks for the new set of quiz items!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
20. Remember back in 1972 when you were in Belfast, N. Ireland and you were looking to fly to Cardiff, Wales? Remember how you hated the high pitched whine of those locally built propjets and how thrilled you were to discover a one stop jet flight direct to Cardiff? Well if you do remember that, can you remember the airline and aircraft you flew on and where that flight stopped?

Cambrian Airways BAC 1-11, Bristol was the other airport.

Did you once used to live back there, RMD? Hard to believe I was in Australia just ten days ago. Small planet. As to your answer, it is Correct! Your other option would have been one of those ear-splitting Viscounts. Here's the schedule:

Cambrian Airways CS 3432 Belfast (BFS) 730p-825p Bristol (BRS) 840p-900p Cardiff (CWL) BAC-111-416 Frequency: Mo We Fr

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole

As I'm at work I haven't had too much time to think so let's chuck in a couple of wildish guesses :

BAC 1-11 British Midland and
Lockheed L-1011 KLM

Nice to see you again, Mr. R! It must be a tough day at work as unfortunately both of the airlines you guessed are incorrect. (Did KLM ever fly the L-1011? )
I do have a wee bit of good news though - One of the aircraft types was indeed a BAC-1-11. Now then, which airline...?

Please, guess again!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I believe this would have been Pacific Western operating a Convair 640. If so, I also think the flight would have been departing nonstop to Victoria (YYJ) with continuing service to Vancouver (YVR).

Correct! In all my years of flying through Seattle (1,653 flights so far according to FlightMemory) I don't recall ever having seen any Convair prop other than the PW models.

This sure sounds like AirTran with nonstop service to Orlando (MCO). Equipment? Well, it was probably either at B737-200 or a DC-9-30. I'll go with a 73S.

Correct! Here's the schedule: Air Tran Airways FL 920 Des Moines (DSM) 255p-635p Orlando (MCO) ~ Boeing 737-200 ~ Freq.: We Fr Su

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 26, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.