Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Sorry, my new job doesn't allow me to really check in as much as I would like to. I see one was answered and the other has another very good guess going.
We're thankful for your participation here any time you can find the time, TB99. All the best with the new job and we'll look forward to your next response(s) whenever you have the time.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
24. Renaldo is planning his winter vacation to sunny Barbados and dreading the inevitable connection at dreary old JFK or crazy crowded MIA when to his great surprise his travel agent informs him that there’s a nonstop flight operating once a week from Boston straight into Barbados. Book it, please. Identify the airline and the aircraft flown.
HINT: The equipment was a second or third hand 4 engine aircraft supplied by Laker Airways

International Caribbean Airways with a Boeing 707-351B

Correct! Freddie Laker created the airline with some help from Barbados tourism interests. I believe most of the flights were between Barbados and Europe but other markets were served on a limited basis. Besides Boston, IQ also served Baltimore once weekly. Here's the Boston schedule:

International Caribbean Airways IQ 61 Boston (BOS) 115p – 700p Barbados (BGI)
Aircraft: 707-351
Op.: Friday only
Meals: Luncheon - Snack

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 15, 2018 at 11:14 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
17- not WA ... well that's surprising, but ok then ... how about SAN-SLC via United on a 727-100
18- Houston (IAH) is the next most logical BN stopping point
See post 13393 above...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
17. ...Western owned Salt Lake and was a strong presence at SAN. Still, surprisingly it didn't offer nonstop service on the SAN-SLC market. Another airline did with a different aircraft type than the 707. Please, guess again!

Not WA ... well that's surprising, but ok then ... how about SAN-SLC via United on a 727-100?

A good guess, J - but no! It was not United. Nor was it a 727-100.
17- the other big player at SLC was the Top Banana In The West, aka Hughes Airwest, which flew DC-9s ... I was about to specify the more prevalent Series 30 (although they also operated the Series 10s that had originally been delivered to Bonanza and West Coast), but it occurred to me that RW also took up a few 727-200s ... so for now I'll declare a missed approach with the 9, and guess the 72S

18. ... here's were we stand so far: BN MKE - MCI - XXX - TPA - MIA

Houston (IAH) is the next most logical BN stopping point

Houston would indeed seem so but alas - it was not.
18- BN had a fair number of flights at both Memphis (MEM) and Nashville (BNA) but I don't recall any Florida service at either; ditto for San Antonio (SAT) and Austin (AUS) ...
<shrug> Oklahoma City?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: FB Platinum

I'm at the limit on this one. Had an idea it might be Frontier but really don't know. Perhaps someone else could pick up the baton...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by rosensfole
25. I'm at the limit on this one. Had an idea it might be Frontier but really don't know. Perhaps someone else could pick up the baton...
25- Air Florida had a couple of baby DC9s and a big MCO operation ... how about QH?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

3. Rolf is the executive chef for one of the world’s leading hotel chains. His job has him traveling all over the world. At present he’s teaching a course for the staff at his chain’s Fiji resort property when a cable arrives requesting his immediate presence in Denpasar, Indonesia. The hotel there will be hosting a summit of Indonesia’s largest mining conglomerates and the home office would like him to whip up something special for the occasion. Nadi to Denpasar… man, oh man… that could take a day or more to travel. But no! As luck would have it, there’s a single once-weekly one stop flight departing Nadi early tomorrow morning. A change of gauge is required at the enroute stop, and he’ll arrive Denpasar tomorrow afternoon. Please identify the airline, the enroute stop and the two aircraft types involved.
HINT: Okay then, we know that a 707 and a 747 are involved and that the airline is not Qantas or UTA

I'm drawing a blank on other carriers from the Far East or Australasia or Oceania that ran 707s ... so, sticking with SYD as the stop with a change of gauge, how about Pan Am

Pan Am is correct! Here's the schedule:

PA 811 Nandi (NAN) 530a-750a Sydney (SYD) Boeing 747

PA 811 Sydney (SYD) 1045a-155p Denpasar (DPS) Boeing 707
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole
25. When it comes to the winter schedule, most airlines operate wide body jets between the US mainland and San Juan, Puerto Rico. At worst you might have to settle for an off peak 707 or 727. But lookee here – one airline operates a twin engine jet on a single daily nonstop flight from the mainland - late at night no less! Identify the route, the airline and the aircraft operated.
HINT: No First Class was offered on this flight. It departed from Florida and was not operated by a Boeing built aircraft

I've hit a brick wall with this, so with no evidence or real conviction a hairy punt... Eastern: Orlando to San Juan on a DC-9 (or, cheekily, was it Tampa?)

We're moving in the right direction here, rosey! Although the airline of record was not Eastern, the aircraft was indeed a DC-9-10 and the airport of origin was Orlando. Armed with this knowledge, I see you correctly answering this one on your very next post. ^

I'm at the limit on this one. Had an idea it might be Frontier but really don't know. Perhaps someone else could pick up the baton... (Thanks Mr. R for at least helping to provide the parameters for this one)

Per jrl767: Air Florida had a couple of baby DC9s and a big MCO operation ... how about QH?

Air Florida it is with a single nightly DC-9-10 flight. Here's the schedule:

QH 90 Orlando (MCO) 900p – 1235a San Juan (SJU) DC-9-10 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 15, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now with EVEN MORE clues!!!

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1976 INTERNATIONAL OAG

7. This African airline had only two flights listed in the 1976 International OAG I reference for these questions. One flight operated from its home base to London and the other flight operated the return flight. Stops were made in Nairobi and Entebbe northbound and in the reverse southbound. Identify the airline, its home base and the equipment it operated on these flights.
HINT: The equipment (A leased Super VC10) always wore its original owner's livery while in the service of this airline. The aircraft was less than 12 years old... We are looking east of Rhodesia (Zimbabwe)

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1978 NORTH AMERICAN OAG

17. Jerry was looking forward to yet another fun weekend of sun and surf off his home beach in La Jolla, California when he got a call from his old college roommate. “Hey Dude – how would you and Sara like to join me and Jen for a weekend of skiing at Alta? I won a free weekend for 4 complete with a condo and two days’ worth of lift tickets. All you have to do is get to Salt Lake City next Friday!” Dude!!! Right on! A quick check of the schedules reveals a single nonstop flight departing San Diego each morning except Sunday. Jerry quickly reserves two tickets in the First Class cabin. Identify the airline and aircraft he’ll be flying upon.
HINT: The aircraft was built by Boeing. The airline was not UA, RW or WA

22. Although Mickey received the flyer in the mail back in September, he wasn’t sure if he could get the time off to attend December’s Phoenix Airliners Collectibles Convention at Scottsdale’s swank Camelback Inn. Well this must be his lucky day because not only has he just found out he’s good to go but he’s also found a seat on a wonderful 4 stop flight from his hometown airport at Pittsburgh direct to Phoenix. The only other option is a nonstop TWA flight but what self-respecting aviation enthusiast would ever want to fly nonstop when a 4-stopper beckons? Not Mickey! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the four enroute stops.
HINT: One of the stops is Birmingham, AL. Another is Memphis. We know the airline is not Delta. We also know the aircraft was a 727-200

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 15, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:15 pm

7. This African airline had only two flights listed in the 1976 International OAG I reference for these questions. One flight operated from its home base to London and the other flight operated the return flight. Stops were made in Nairobi and Entebbe northbound and in the reverse southbound. Identify the airline, its home base and the equipment it operated on these flights.
HINT: The equipment (A leased Super VC10) always wore its original owner's livery while in the service of this airline. The aircraft was less than 12 years old...
Struggling with this one. As the answer must be south of Nairobi, I'll guess Air Rhodesia from Salisbury.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

17- the other big player at SLC was the Top Banana In The West, aka Hughes Airwest,...

18- BN had a fair number of flights at both Memphis (MEM) and Nashville (BNA) but I don't recall any Florida service at either...
See post 13393 above...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HINT: The equipment (A leased Super VC10) always wore its original owner's livery while in the service of this airline. The aircraft was less than 12 years old...

Struggling with this one. As the answer must be south of Nairobi, I'll guess Air Rhodesia from Salisbury.

I'm sorry, it was not Air Rhodesia either, KT. Look to the east and just a tad south for the answer to this one...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:15 pm

I'm sorry, it was not Air Rhodesia either, KT. Look to the east and just a tad south for the answer to this one...
Beira in Mozambique? but that seems unlikely too as DETA had their own 707s.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Beira in Mozambique? But that seems unlikely too as DETA had their own 707s.
You'll want to continue even farther to the east - out beyond the coast...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:11 pm

You'll want to continue even farther to the east - out beyond the coast...
Air Mauritius from Port Louis.

Took a while but I think I've got it now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.