Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

14. One day per week, this flight originates in Tokyo and terminates in Mahe, Seychelles Islands. Along the way it makes two stops. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served along the daylight journey. As booked and enjoyed in the comfort of the First Class cabin, this just might be “The Perfect Flight”. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two intermediate stops.
HINT: The two enroute stops are Hong Kong and Colombo
Japan Airlines with a DC-8-62
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
23: your routing - with the exception of Lincoln - is a bit too far north. LNK was the last stop before flying on to ORD. Please, do have a go at the other two cities visited prior to Lincoln.

Google maps shows Grand Island (GRI) would have been the second stop; I'll posit North Platte (LBF) as the first

Perhaps I should have reworded my response in that Lincoln is correct but the first cities you mentioned were too far north. Try one state down and I'm confident you'll find the answer
23- I don't recall anything other than DC-3s and maybe CV-580s serving any of FL's western Kansas destinations, so how about Wichita (ICT) and Salina (SLN)

26: Just remembered that there was a Delta flight between Miami and San Juan, so let's try this one ...
HNL-SFO UA
SFO-DEN-MIA Braniff
MIA-SJU DL

Your arlines are all correct, but the west coast connecting city was Oakland, not San Francisco
23- hmmmmmmm ... thought that I had guessed OAK a couple days back ...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: FB Platinum
2. Angus is thrilled to discover that his upcoming flight from Edinburgh, Scotland will be aboard the largest passenger aircraft currently flying out of EDI in 1976. Identify the aircraft type and where Angus will be flying to.
It was around this time that EDI had some upgrade work, including the ability to cope with Concorde.
As a completely off-the-wall wild guess then; Concorde -> LHR
More realistically (but still a guess); EDI-LGW Boeing 707-320 (B-Cal)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:10 am

Here's a question from April 1958...

Departing New York's Idlewild airport at 4 p.m. on a Monday, it was possible to fly non-stop to Brussels, arriving 10 a.m. next day.
The aircraft then continued to another European country, making a further stop prior to the final destination.
Name the airline, equipment used and the last two stops on the flight.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by KT550
Here's a question from April 1958...

Departing New York's Idlewild airport at 4 p.m. on a Monday, it was possible to fly non-stop to Brussels, arriving 10 a.m. next day.
The aircraft then continued to another European country, making a further stop prior to the final destination.
Name the airline, equipment used and the last two stops on the flight.
A guess: Lufthansa onwards to Frankfurt then Hamburg - never understood that routing. Not sure of the craft though - Constellation?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by rosensfole
A guess: Lufthansa onwards to Frankfurt then Hamburg - never understood that routing. Not sure of the craft though - Constellation?
My questions are too easy!

It was indeed Lufthansa with a Super Star.

LH425 operated on Monday & Saturday
Idlewild 16:00 - 10:00(+1) Bruxelles 10:45(+1) - 12:00(+1) Frankfurt 13:00(+1) - 14:25(+1) Hamburg

Lufthansa flew to North America most days. Other routings during the summer of 1958 included:
IDL-ORY-DUS-HAM
IDL-FRA
ORD-YUL-SNN-DUS-FRA-HAM
IDL-FRA-HAM
IDL-DUS-FRA-HAM
IDL-SNN-FRA
IDL-SNN-DUS-HAM
all operated with either Super Star or Super G Constellation
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:14 am

Don't put yourself down... they're only easy if someone knows the answer. Keep the questions coming
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
It was indeed Lufthansa with a Super Star.
at one point this one may have operated that route
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I apologize for the delay in responding to these answers - between work out in the park and an extended power outage, I had no internet access. Thanks for your patience!

14. One day per week, this flight originates in Tokyo and terminates in Mahe, Seychelles Islands. Along the way it makes two stops. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served along the daylight journey. As booked and enjoyed in the comfort of the First Class cabin, this just might be “The Perfect Flight”. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two intermediate stops.

It was not Japan Airlines, not was the aircraft a DC-8 of any variant.

Here's another clue though... Despite the flight's origin and destination, the airline was not based in either Tokyo or the Seychelles Please, guess again!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I Originally Posted by KT550

It was not Japan Airlines, not was the aircraft a DC-8 of any variant.

Here's another clue though... Despite the flight's origin and destination, the airline was not based in either Tokyo or the Seychelles Please, guess again!!
how about Cathay Pacific with a Lockheed L-1011
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
23. For years Phil has been flying nonstop between Denver and Chicago on a variety of DC-10s from Continental and United Airlines but when he discovers that one airline offers an intriguing three stop service direct into Chicago’s O’Hare International, his inner child says “Why Not?” Now well into his forties, he’s discovered that life can be a lot more exciting when he heeds these crazy impulses. A quick phone call and viola! He’s booked and ready to go tomorrow morning. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops.

I don't recall anything other than DC-3s and maybe CV-580s serving any of FL's western Kansas destinations, so how about Wichita (ICT) and Salina (SLN)

Salina is correct! ^ Now all you need is just one more Kansan city

26: Just remembered that there was a Delta flight between Miami and San Juan, so let's try this one ...
HNL-SFO UA
SFO-DEN-MIA Braniff
MIA-SJU DL

Your airlines are all correct, but the west coast connecting city was Oakland, not San Francisco

Hmmmmmmm ... thought that I had guessed OAK a couple days back ...

You did guess Oakland but you had the wrong airline. I see I didn't acknowledge OAK as the correct west coast connection point. Apologies, there...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole
2. Angus is thrilled to discover that his upcoming flight from Edinburgh, Scotland will be aboard the largest passenger aircraft currently flying out of EDI in 1976. Identify the aircraft type and where Angus will be flying to.

It was around this time that EDI had some upgrade work, including the ability to cope with Concorde.
As a completely off-the-wall wild guess then; Concorde -> LHR
More realistically (but still a guess); EDI-LGW Boeing 707-320 (B-Cal)

If a Concorde ever flew EDI-LHR, I should imagine it would have been a non-scheduled demonstration or excursion type flight. Per the schedule I reference for this question however, we're looking for an aircraft that's smaller than a 707. London Heathrow s the destination though.

But hey - thanks for getting the ball rolling on this one Mr. R and please, do have another go at it!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 9, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You had me stumped! That rosensfole even knew the answer to that one speaks volumes to his knowledge and experience. Indeed, if you look at when I submit a set of 20-30 questions, there're always a few that get quickly cherry-picked, much to my disappointment on occasion as I had hoped some of the most quickly answered ones would've been a bit more difficult. I shall never cease to be surprised at the amount of knowledge and experience amongst our core participants. Well done, gang! ^

And KT, please, feel free to submit a few more questions any time you feel up to it! ^
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How about Cathay Pacific with a Lockheed L-1011?

A nice guess, J, but alas, it was not Cathay. We're looking for an airline operating a four engine narrow bodied airliner here...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23. For years Phil has been flying nonstop between Denver and Chicago on a variety of DC-10s from Continental and United Airlines but when he discovers that one airline offers an intriguing three stop service direct into Chicago’s O’Hare International, his inner child says “Why Not?” Now well into his forties, he’s discovered that life can be a lot more exciting when he heeds these crazy impulses. A quick phone call and voila! He’s booked and ready to go tomorrow morning. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops.

I don't recall anything other than DC-3s and maybe CV-580s serving any of FL's western Kansas destinations, so how about Wichita (ICT) and Salina (SLN)

Salina is correct! Now all you need is just one more Kansan city
23- well, how about Forbes Field (FOE), which was the airport for Topeka

How about Cathay Pacific with a Lockheed L-1011?

A nice guess, J, but alas, it was not Cathay. We're looking for an airline operating a four engine narrow bodied airliner here...
14. not JL or CX ... using the same logic as for my CX guess, I’m going to presume the operator was based in Colombo, so we’re looking at Air Lanka (or predecessor; my South Asian history isn’t what it used to be, and I don’t recall when Ceylon changed its name )

four-engine narrow-body jet but not a DC-8 of any size ... a 707 just seems too obvious, a Convair 880/990 certainly didn’t have the legs for HKG-CMB, and (as we have discussed upthread on several occasions) a 720B would have been very marginal ... gotta be a VC-10 — which certainly supports “The Perfect Flight” soubriquet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.