Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Greetings and felicitations from the QANTAS First Class Lounge at LAX where I reside in plutocratic splendor whilst awaiting the departure of my Cathay Pacific 777-300 to Hong Kong. I just had a wonderful breakfast here in the lounge, so I may hold off a bit (until we're abreast of say, Vancouver Island) before partaking of Cathay's First Class luncheon offerings on this 15 hour and 25 minute flight.

It's good to see that things are rolling along quite nicely in my absence. Indeed, it looks like I could take the next year or two off while starting an Old Timer's Railroad Quiz and you all wouldn't miss a beat. Well, we're a long way from that just yet, so thanks to J and JL for their questions and the rest of youse for your participation. And now if you'll excuse me, I've got a few flights and trains to catch.
What?! Yet another flight in CX first for our man from East Ester featuring stellar service, cuisine and libations?!

Yawn.......

And please hold off concerning the Old Timer's Rail Quiz as I shall surely derail with each and every question......

Note: the above was composed under the moderate influence of a 2008 Chateau Palmer Grand Cru Classe Margaux.....at least, that's my story and I am benignly sipping to it...... :-: :-: :-: :-: :-:
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, we've almost reached the end of the recent and excellent short set of new quiz items posed by jrl767 with just a pair of segments remaining to be answered. Please take a look at post number 12765 if you would like to try your luck with these two.

Meantime, I have new short set of my own that I shall now submit. I will be in Houston on business for most of the coming week and will then depart to the Caribbean this coming weekend for Lady K's and yours truly's birthday vacation on Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos.....so if I do not submit these quiz items now, it will be awhile before I can again do so.

So on a stormy Saturday afternoon here in south Louisiana with unseasonably cold weather on the way, here we go......and please answer no more than two quiz items at a time so that all may participate. Thanks!

1. Identify the first U.K. based airline to operate the Fokker F28 Fellowship in scheduled service. ANSWERED

2. In 1958, this airline was operating a flight three times a week from Miami (MIA) to Lima (LIM). The service departed MIA at 7:00 am, made two intermediate stops en route and arrived in LIM at 7:20 pm. Name the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type.

3. Now it's 1959 and you are in Belize City. You need to travel to Martinique and are expecting this will be a difficult and time consuming trip by air. But wait! There's a flight which operates nonstop once a week to a destination where you can make a quick 55 minute connection to another flight which operates direct to Martinique. This second flight operates three days a week and only makes two stops en route. You'll depart BZE at 6:50 am and arrive at FDF at 6:45 pm. The same airline operates both flights and the aircraft type is the same on both flights as well. Identify the air carrier, the connecting city, both stops on the second flight and the aircraft operated on both flights.

4. It's a very cold day in London in January of 1961. You need to travel to Vancouver on business and have found a flight that operates once a week to YVR on Fridays only. The service makes two intermediate stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Name the London airport you will be departing from, the airline, the two stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED

5. Identify the airline that made the following statement in its timetable in 1969: The BAC-111 is the first "tailored for the job" short haul jet. Although a very sophisticated machine, it can operate out of small secondary airports equally as well as from major international airports.

6. Also in 1969, United took delivery of 58 new jet aircraft. Identify each specific aircraft type that joined the UA fleet that year. B727-222, B737-222, DC-8-61 and DC-8-62

7. In 1971, this airline was operating a connecting service from Honolulu to Saipan twice a week. The first flight made five intermediate stops en route and the second flight operated nonstop. Two different aircraft types were operated with a 30 minute connection between the two flights. Name the airline, all five stops on the first flight in the order in which they were made, the connecting airport and the aircraft types.

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1985....

8. Republic's fleet was comprised of seven different specific aircraft types operated in mainline service at this time. Name them all. ANSWERED

9. You are in Oklahoma City and have been invited to an opening of a new winery in Temecula in southern California. You would also like to visit with friends who live in Wrightwood in the San Gabriel Mountains. You find the closest airport to Wrightwood that has jet service and book a seat on a direct flight that makes one intermediate stop en route. You'll depart OKC at 5:00 pm and arrive at your destination airport at 6:50 pm. Identify the airline, the stop, the airport you'll be flying into and the aircraft. ANSWERED

10. The opening festivities for the new winery in Temecula were a big success and a whole lot of fun! However, it's time to get back to work and there's a meeting you need to attend in Denver. But before you depart from southern California, you will have time to have dinner with your Wrightwood friends who are now down in San Diego and have a certain brewpub in mind that serves terrific food. So you are now looking for a late morning departure from San Diego that will get you into Denver in plenty of time to check into a hotel and then join your business partners for dinner. Ah, here's a flight departing SAN at 10:50 am that arrives in DEN at 2:44 pm with one stop being made en route. Perfect! You book a seat. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

11. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 720B in 1987 from Mexico City (MEX) nonstop to Guatemala City (GUA) in 1987, what airline would you call? ANSWERED

12. It's still 1987 and you are in New York City. You need to travel on a Friday to Sydney and have found an air carrier operating a flight on this day and also on Mondays and Thursdays as well. You book a seat in first class on this flight which departs JFK at 5:30 pm and arrives in SYD at 7:00 am with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 16, 2018 at 3:42 pm Reason: "answered" updates
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Note: the above was composed under the moderate influence of a 2008 Chateau Palmer Grand Cru Classe Margaux.....at least, that's my story and I am benignly sipping to it...... :-: :-: :-: :-: :-:
Ooooo - how's that Margaux holding up? I have fond memories of it from my Emirates flight of 2015. I look forward to the next batch of questions from whoever and whenever. ^
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Well, we've almost reached the end of the recent and excellent short set of new quiz items posed by jrl767 with just a pair of segments remaining to be answered. Please take a look at post number 12765 if you would like to try your luck with these two.
Post 12779 is an easier look

12. It's still 1987 and you are in New York City. You need to travel on a Friday to Sydney and have found an air carrier operating a flight on this day as well as on Mondays and Thursdays as well. You book a seat in first class on this flight which departs JFK at 5:30 pm and arrives in SYD at 7:00 am with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.
how about an ex-Pan Am 747SP, now in United livery, stopping at Los Angeles (LAX)

... will then depart to the Caribbean this coming weekend for Lady K's and yours truly's birthday vacation on Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos...
thanks for these, and enjoy your PLS getaway
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ooooo - how's that Margaux holding up? I have fond memories of it from my Emirates flight of 2015. I look forward to the next batch of questions from whoever and whenever. ^
Still have one bottle of the Chateau Palmer Margaux left! And I'm sipping on a Cajun Bloody Mary at the moment. As for new quiz items, please see above!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
how about an ex-Pan Am 747SP, now in United livery, stopping at Los Angeles (LAX)
12. United operating a B747SP JFK-LAX-SYD is an excellent guess! However, the air carrier wasn't UA, the stop was not made at LAX and the equipment wasn't a B747SP. Please guess again, sir!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'm sitting here in The Wing about to go grab a shower but hey - there's always time to have a go at the latest fine set from JL...

11. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 720B in 1987 from Mexico City (MEX) nonstop to Guatemala City (GUA) in 1987, what airline would you call?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 720B operators from Central America, so I'm going to go with Avianca on a flight that likely continued on to Bogota

12. It's still 1987 and you are in New York City. You need to travel on a Friday to Sydney and have found an air carrier operating a flight on this day and also on Mondays and Thursdays as well. You book a seat in first class on this flight which departs JFK at 5:30 pm and arrives in SYD at 7:00 am with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.

If it didn't stop in LAX, and it wasn't a 747SP... I'm going guess it was a DC-10-30 with Continental operating via HNL
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: FB Platinum
1. Identify the first U.K. based airline to operate the Fokker F28 Fellowship in scheduled service.
i guess that would be Air Anglia as they were operating these from 1974.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:02 am

6. Also in 1969, United took delivery of 58 new jet aircraft. Identify each specific aircraft type that joined the UA fleet that year.

8. Republic's fleet was comprised of seven different specific aircraft types operated in mainline service at this time. Name them all.
6. I reckon United were having DC-8-61s, Boeing 727-200s and 737-200s delivered in 1969.

8. For the Republic fleet in 1985:

1. B727-200
2. B757-200
3. DC-9-10
4. DC-9-30
5. DC-9-50
6. DC-9-80
7. Convair 580
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sitting here in The Wing about to go grab a shower but hey - there's always time to have a go at the latest fine set from JL...

11. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 720B in 1987 from Mexico City (MEX) nonstop to Guatemala City (GUA) in 1987, what airline would you call?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 720B operators from Central America, so I'm going to go with Avianca on a flight that likely continued on to Bogota

12. It's still 1987 and you are in New York City. You need to travel on a Friday to Sydney and have found an air carrier operating a flight on this day and also on Mondays and Thursdays as well. You book a seat in first class on this flight which departs JFK at 5:30 pm and arrives in SYD at 7:00 am with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.

If it didn't stop in LAX, and it wasn't a 747SP... I'm going guess it was a DC-10-30 with Continental operating via HNL
11. Great guess! However, the air carrier in question wasn't Avianca. Please guess again, sir!

12. Correct! Here's the sched.....

CO 15: New York (JFK) 5:30p - 10:55p Honolulu (HNL) 12:05a - 7:00a Sydney (SYD) 8:30a - 9:50a Melbourne (MEL)
Op: Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays only
Equip: DC-10-30
Note: CO 15 operated SYD-MEL Wednesdays and Sundays only

Continental was a bit of a rare sight at JFK at this time as the airline had just taken over People Express and was thus concentrating on Newark. There were only two other CO departures from JFK per day in March of 1987: a daily B737-300 nonstop to Mexico City and a daily DC-9-30 nonstop to Washington Dulles with this latter flight continuing on to Knoxville except on Saturdays.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 15, 2018 at 7:34 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:38 am

11. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 720B in 1987 from Mexico City (MEX) nonstop to Guatemala City (GUA) in 1987, what airline would you call? It wasn't Avianca.....
I'll try Aeronica of Nicaragua
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosensfole
i guess that would be Air Anglia as they were operating these from 1974.
1. Correct! And I believe a later operator of the F28 in the U.K. was AirUK following the merger of Air Anglia and British Island Airways.

BTW, Air Anglia's two letter code was "AQ". After the merger to form AirUK ("UK"), Aloha Airlines adopted the "AQ" code which replaced "TS" with the latter reflecting Aloha's original name: Trans-Pacific Airlines.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 15, 2018 at 8:11 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
6. I reckon United were having DC-8-61s, Boeing 727-200s and 737-200s delivered in 1969.

8. For the Republic fleet in 1985:

1. B727-200
2. B757-200
3. DC-9-10
4. DC-9-30
5. DC-9-50
6. DC-9-80
7. Convair 580
6. The B727-222, B737-222 and the DC-8-61 are all correct! However, there was also a fourth aircraft type....so please guess again!

8. Correct! Here are the numbers for the aircraft in the RC fleet in 1985:

B757-2S7 - 3
B727-200 - 18 (including former RW aircraft)
DC-9-50 - 28 (including former NC aircraft)
DC-9-30 - 64 (including former NC, RW and SO aircraft)
DC-9-10 - 34 (including former RW and SO aircraft)
MD-80 - 8
CV-580 - 13 (including former NC aircraft)

TOTAL: 168 aircraft

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 15, 2018 at 9:53 am Reason: additional RC fleet info
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
I'll try Aeronica of Nicaragua
11. Loud BUZZER sound (such as on a TV game show): Please limit your guesses to two per day, sir, so that all may participate! Thank you!

And BTW, you are correct! The B720B flight in question operated MEX-GUA-MGA. Aeronica also operated B707, B727-100 and B727-200 equipment. However, what with the political situation in Nicaragua, parts for Boeing aircraft became difficult to come by. And so, Aeronica began operating Russian aircraft such as the Tupolev Tu-154M. Antonov An-26 and An-32 aircraft were also operated by the airline.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 15, 2018 at 8:05 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:08 am

6. The B727-222, B737-222 and the DC-8-61 are all correct! However, there was also a fourth aircraft type....so please guess again!

8. Correct!
DC-8-62 for the fourth United type

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.