Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Greetings and felicitations from Juneau International Airport where I'm taking advantage of a good Wi-Fi connection before heading out to Auke Bay for the 1:00am sailing of my Ketchikan bound ferry. I've even splurged and gotten myself a bedroom. Yahsuh! Livin' it large!

Thanks to jrl767 for another interesting take on the quiz question set. Thank you, J, and with that let's get the ball rolling!

Originally Posted by jrl767
It’s a Tuesday in the spring of 1975, and you’re at a lunchtime meeting in the Indianapolis office discussing the budget for the Santo Domingo project when the phone rings; the on-site project manager needs you there in 24 hours. Needless to say, this looks to be almost impossible, but with a bit of creative routing you find a series of three flights that will put you in SDQ at 1425

As your flight is taxiing in at SDQ you spot a large piston-engine aircraft at the terminal; a little quick research shows that it makes a daily round-trip to San Juan ... perfect! you book that flight for Friday

We’re looking for routing, airline, and equipment for each of the 11 segments
  • please only submit a couple guesses at a time to let others have a chance
1: CVG-xxx I'm a little confused. The setting for this question begins in Indianapolis. How is it we're starting out of CVG?
2: xxx-yyy
3- yyy-SDQ
4- SDQ-SJU This sounds like Aerovias Quisqueyana operating a Lockheed Constellation of some model - the shorter one, I believe - the L-049?
5- SJU-???
6- ???- SXM
7- SXM-zzz
8- zzz-FDF
9- FDF-ANU
10- ANU-nnn Let's go with JFK, operated by BWIA (Britain's Worst Investment Abroad!) with an ex-Braniff 707-227
11- nnn-DTW

Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Greetings and felicitations from Juneau International Airport where I'm taking advantage of a good Wi-Fi connection before heading out to Auke Bay for the 1:00am sailing of my Ketchikan bound ferry. I've even splurged and gotten myself a bedroom. Yahsuh! Livin' it large!

Thanks to jrl767 for another interesting take on the quiz question set. Thank you, J, and with that let's get the ball rolling!
I'm a little confused. The setting for this question begins in Indianapolis. How is it we're starting out of CVG?
oops, you’re right, should be IND
4- SDQ-SJU This sounds like Aerovias Quisqueyana operating a Lockheed Constellation of some model - the shorter one, I believe - the L-049?
for Quiz purposes we’ll call this CORRECT ... I’m reasonably sure that QQ was operating the L-749A in late 1974, as I tried unsuccessfully to convince my parents that it would have been ok for me to fly ITH-JFK-SJU-SDQ-SJU-IAD when coming home for the holidays ... the OAG entry is “PRP”
10- ANU-nnn Let's go with JFK, operated by BWIA (Britain's Worst Investment Abroad!) with an ex-Braniff 707-227
sorry, sir, you struck out with this one
JFK is incorrect
BWIA is incorrect
707 is incorrect

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 3, 2018 at 12:36 am
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hmm... okay, well I'll submit these last two and than that's it for me as I'll be at sea most of tomorrow. Wednesday I'll have Wi-Fi again upon arrival in Ketchikan.

10- ANU-nnn Let's go with an Eastern 727-100 over to San Juan
11- nnn-DTW And an Eastern 727-200 over to Detroit
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

I'll take a stab at a couple of the Caribbean segments....

7. St. Maarten (SXM) to Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP): Prinair de Havilland Heron

8. Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP) to Fort-de-France (FDF): Air France Boeing 747-200

And many thanks to jrl767 for a fine short set of new quiz items!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:49 pm

I think Air Jamaica still served DTW in 1975, so for questions 10 and 11 I'll guess:

10: ANU-NAS on an AC DC-8
11. NAS-DTW on a JM DC-9
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... Wednesday I'll have Wi-Fi again upon arrival in Ketchikan.

10- ANU-nnn Let's go with an Eastern 727-100 over to San Juan
11- nnn-DTW And an Eastern 727-200 over to Detroit
10- SJU is incorrect, EA is incorrect, 727 is incorrect
11- EA is CORRECT, 72S is incorrect

Originally Posted by jlemon

I'll take a stab at a couple of the Caribbean segments....

7. St. Maarten (SXM) to Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP): Prinair de Havilland Heron

8. Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP) to Fort-de-France (FDF): Air France Boeing 747-200

And many thanks to jrl767 for a fine short set of new quiz items!
7- CORRECT
8- CORRECT

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I think Air Jamaica still served DTW in 1975, so for questions 10 and 11 I'll guess:

10: ANU-NAS on an AC DC-8
11. NAS-DTW on a JM DC-9
10- NAS is incorrect; AC DC8 is CORRECT
11- per Seat 2A's guess above, JM is incorrect, DC9 is incorrect
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
10. Let's try operating that Air Canada DC-8 on a nonstop flight to Bermuda (BDA) from Antigua (ANU).....

11. And if BDA is indeed the correct arrival airport for the AC flight, there may well be only one choice concerning a nonstop flight from Bermuda to Detroit (DTW): Eastern (EA) operating a B727-100.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 5, 2018 at 1:52 pm Reason: airport code correction
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10. Let's try operating that air canada dc-8 on a nonstop flight to bermuda (bda) from antigua (anu).....

11. And if bda is indeed the correct arrival airport for the ac flight, there may well be only one choice concerning a nonstop flight from bermuda to detroit (dtw): Eastern (ea) operating a b727-100.
10 - correct
11 - correct
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wednesday morning you have two options to Antigua, but why would anyone opt for a 727 when a turboprop is available?

9- FDF-ANU
9. Well, it's a beautiful tropical day in Martinique and the 4,583 foot volcano up on the north end of the island remains quiet (the last major eruption in 1902 resulted in the deaths of around 30,000 residents).....and over at the Fort de France airport, there's the turboprop aircraft we'll be flying on board up to Antigua. But what do those letters on the fuselage stand for? Leave Island Any Time? Luggage In Another Terminal? Or Leeward Islands Air Transport? It's the latter, of course, and in 1975 the equipment operated on this LIAT flight was probably a venerable Hawker Siddeley HS 748.

BTW, I've flown on LIAT a number of times on board Dash 8 aircraft and it can be an exciting and interesting air carrier to travel with.....

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 6, 2018 at 3:37 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. ... at the Fort de France airport, there's the turboprop aircraft we'll be flying on board up to Antigua. But what do those letters on the fuselage stand for? Leave Island Any Time? Luggage In Another Terminal? Or Leeward Islands Air Transport? It's the latter, of course, and in 1975 the equipment operated on this LIAT flight was probably a venerable Hawker Siddeley HS 748....
of course it was
9- CORRECT
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it’s a Tuesday in the spring of 1975, and you’re at a lunchtime meeting in the Indianapolis office discussing the budget for the Santo Domingo project when the phone rings; the on-site project manager needs you there in 24 hours.....needless to say, this looks to be almost impossible, but with a bit of creative routing you find a series of three flights that will put you in SDQ at 1425
1: IND-xxx
2: xxx-yyy
3- yyy-SDQ
I think the question here is....where did the third flight depart from? Miami (MIA) or New York (JFK)? I'll bet it was JFK.

So here are my wild guesses.....

1. Indianapolis (IND) - Detroit (DTW): Delta redeye flight operated with a B727-200
2. Detroit (DTW) - New York (JFK): Northwest flight departing predawn operated with a B747
3. New York (JFK) - Santo Domingo (SDQ): Pan Am morning departure operated with a B747
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the question here is....where did the third flight depart from? Miami (MIA) or New York (JFK)? I'll bet it was JFK.

So here are my wild guesses.....

1. Indianapolis (IND) - Detroit (DTW): Delta redeye flight operated with a B727-200
2. Detroit (DTW) - New York (JFK): Northwest flight departing predawn operated with a B747
3. New York (JFK) - Santo Domingo (SDQ): Pan Am morning departure operated with a B747
not very wild at all ... in fact, all three are CORRECT

so the two Saturday flights are all that we have left to identify:

5- SJU-???
6- ???- SXM

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 10, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:54 am

I'll guess an Antilles seaplanes Grumman Goose from San Juan to St Thomas, and a Winair Twin Otter from STT to SXM.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I'll guess an Antilles seaplanes Grumman Goose from San Juan to St Thomas, and a Winair Twin Otter from STT to SXM.
this is very close on all counts, but identifying what's right and what's wrong would leave very little to the imagination

so I will allow a bit more time for guesses, and maybe someone will indeed come up with the entirely correct answer
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Greetings and felicitations from the QANTAS First Class Lounge at LAX where I reside in plutocratic splendor whilst awaiting the departure of my Cathay Pacific 777-300 to Hong Kong. I just had a wonderful breakfast here in the lounge, so I may hold off a bit (until we're abreast of say, Vancouver Island) before partaking of Cathay's First Class luncheon offerings on this 15 hour and 25 minute flight.

It's good to see that things are rolling along quite nicely in my absence. Indeed, it looks like I could take the next year or two off while starting an Old Timer's Railroad Quiz and you all wouldn't miss a beat. Well, we're a long way from that just yet, so thanks to J and JL for their questions and the rest of youse for your participation. And now if you'll excuse me, I've got a few flights and trains to catch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.