Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Whoops....dupe post! Must have been that Cajun Bloody Mary.......
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
9. You always knew that your degree in agricultural sciences from Florida State would serve you well someday. Look at you now: manager of the Southwest Nebraska Soy Cooperative – Nebraska’s largest – located just outside Grand Island, Nebraska. When an opportunity arises to fly back to Tallahassee for a get together with fellow alums from the Ag Department, you are thrilled at the opportunity to indulge in your other passion – air travel. Just last week you scored a used OAG from the local travel agency which has allowed you to put together a fantastic trip involving five different airlines. Not only that, but each flight will utilize the same type of aircraft which just happens to be your favorite. Check out this itinerary:

Only one airline serves Grand Island with jets. Starting Monday afternoon, you’ll board one of its flights - a one stop service to Chicago where you’ll join friends for dinner at the renowned Palmer House. Tuesday morning, it’s off to O’Hare for an 8:25am departure to Indianapolis. Arriving at Indy’s Weir Cook International Airport at 9:10am, you’ve got plenty of time to connect to your next flight to Columbus since the minimum published connection time between the two airlines you’re flying is 20 minutes. Following a nice lunch with the Dean of Ohio State’s Ag Department, it’s back to the airport for a mid-afternoon departure to Ft. Lauderdale. A single stop is made along the way. You’ll spend the night with an old friend in Hollywood before relocating to nearby Miami International on Wednesday morning for your one stop flight to Tallahassee.

The correct answer to this question will involve:
  • Properly identifying each of the five airlines
  • Identifying the single equipment type operated throughout this journey
Per jlemon: I'm pleased to report that my personal sense of adventure remains fully intact.....and we are looking for an aircraft "built overseas" here, are we?

Well, then.....an old friend comes to mind: the BAC One-Eleven. I experienced a number of great flights back in the day on board the One-Eleven, first with the original Braniff International (including a ride up front in first while traveling standby on a 50% off youth fare) and later with Pacific Express. And I believe we can rule out both BN and VB with regard to the airlines in question here.

So here we go....

* Air Wisconsin (ZW) operating Grand Island (GRI) - Lincoln (LNK) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
* Britt Airways (RU) operating Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - Indianapolis (IND)
* USAir (US) operating Indianapolis (IND) - Columbus (CMH)
* Florida Express (ZO) operating Columbus (CMH) - Orlando (MCO) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
* Atlantic Gulf (ZY) operating Miami (MIA) - West Palm Beach (PBI) - Tallahassee (TLH)

Nicely done, Dr. Lemon! ^ There weren't too many foreign built aircraft operating over these routes back in 1985, so once you settled upon the 111, I should imagine the rest fell into place quite nicely. Here's the schedule:

Mon. Air Wisconsin ZW 804 Grand Island (GRI) 445p-510p Lincoln (LNK) 525p-637p ORD B11 X67

Tue. Britt Air RU 921 Chicago (ORD) 825a-910a Indianapolis (IND) B11 X67

Tue. US Air AL 199 Indianapolis (IND) 940a-1121a Columbus (CMH) B11 X67

Tue. Florida Express ZO 704 Columbus (CMH) 305p – 515p Orlando (MCO) 545p-635p FLL B11 Daily

Wed. Atlantic Gulf ZY 120 Miami (MIA) 830a-850a West Palm Beach (PBI) 905a-1005a TLH B11 X67

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 31, 2018 at 11:12 am
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Okay then, we're down to just two more questions. Given the hints provided along with answers already provided, these should be easy to clean up. Go get 'em!

1. It's 1985 and Air Canada and Delta have offered nonstop flights from Tampa and Miami up to Montreal for years. Alas, the same cannot be said for service out of Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando which have never benefited from scheduled nonstop service. Until recently, that is. A new service provides twice weekly flights from each city nonstop to Montreal. Identify the airline and the equipment it employs on each route.
A N S W E R E D

3. It used to be that if you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 out of Reno in late 1985, you called Hughes Airwest. Not anymore. Three different airlines operate the “Baby Nine” into Reno. Can you identify each airline?
Republic and Sunworld Int'l. have been correctly identified. Horizon and Great American Airways and Continental are incorrect. We're still looking for the elusive third airline... I flew upon one of its jets that was leased to the airline I was flying between two western cities

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 31, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Okay then, we're down to just two more questions. Given the hints provided along with answers already provided, these should be easy to clean up. Go get 'em!
1. It's 1985 and Air Canada and Delta have offered nonstop flights from Tampa and Miami up to Montreal for years. Alas, the same cannot be said for service out of Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando which have never benefited from scheduled nonstop service. Until recently, that is. A new service provides twice weekly flights from each city nonstop to Montreal. Identify the airline and the equipment it employs on each route.
HINT: These flights were both operated with the same aircraft type. It was a Canadian airline.

My wild guess is either Nationair or Quebecair with a DC-8
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

* Air Wisconsin (ZW) operating Grand Island (GRI) - Lincoln (LNK) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
* Britt Airways (RU) operating Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - Indianapolis (IND)
* USAir (US) operating Indianapolis (IND) - Columbus (CMH)
* Florida Express (ZO) operating Columbus (CMH) - Orlando (MCO) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
* Atlantic Gulf (ZY) operating Miami (MIA) - West Palm Beach (PBI) - Tallahassee (TLH)

There weren't too many foreign built aircraft operating over these routes back in 1985, so once you settled upon the 111, I should imagine the rest fell into place quite nicely. Here's the schedule:

Mon. Air Wisconsin ZW 804 Grand Island (GRI) 445p-510p Lincoln (LNK) 525p-637p ORD B11 X67

Tue. Britt Air RU 921 Chicago (ORD) 825a-910a Indianapolis (IND) B11 X67

Tue. Allegheny AL 199 Indianapolis (IND) 940a-1121a Columbus (CMH) B11 X67

Tue. Florida Express ZO 704 Columbus (CMH) 305p 515p Orlando (MCO) 545p-635p FLL B11 Daily

Wed. Atlantic Gulf ZY 120 Miami (MIA) 830a-850a West Palm Beach (PBI) 905a-1005a TLH B11 X67
Ah, all except Allegheny instead of successor USAir.....
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HINT: These flights were both operated with the same aircraft type. It was a Canadian airline.

Per KT550:

Given the provincial origins of both airlines you've provided, your answer is very close, KT. Close, but a bit wide of the mark. That said, now that those two are out of the way, the true answer should be become more evident. Care to have another go, Sir?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, all except Allegheny instead of successor USAir.....
Oops - forgive me the occasional brain cramp!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:25 am

Per KT550:

Given the provincial origins of both airlines you've provided, your answer is very close, KT. Close, but a bit wide of the mark. That said, now that those two are out of the way, the true answer should be become more evident. Care to have another go, Sir?
How about Nordair with 737-200
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550
How about Nordair with 737-200
Right on, KT! Here's the skeds:

ND 452 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 120a 435a Montreal (YMX) 73S B Sat
ND 454 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 850p 1205a Montreal (YMX) 73S D Sun

ND 462 Orlando (MCO) 135a 430a Montreal (YMX) 73S B Tue Sun
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then, so we're down to just one. Who's gonna provide the answer to this scintillating mystery?

3. It used to be that if you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 out of Reno in late 1985, you called Hughes Airwest. Not anymore. Three different airlines operate the “Baby Nine” into Reno. Can you identify each airline?
Republic and Sunworld Int'l. have been correctly identified. Horizon and Great American Airways and Continental are incorrect. We're still looking for the elusive third airline... I once flew upon one of its jets that was leased to the airline I was flying between two western cities. If I recall, that DC-9 was number 4 off the production line.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:08 pm

Alright then, so we're down to just one. Who's gonna provide the answer to this scintillating mystery?

3. It used to be that if you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 out of Reno in late 1985, you called Hughes Airwest. Not anymore. Three different airlines operate the Baby Nine into Reno. Can you identify each airline?
Republic and Sunworld Int'l. have been correctly identified. Horizon and Great American Airways and Continental are incorrect. We're still looking for the elusive third airline... I once flew upon one of its jets that was leased to the airline I was flying between two western cities. If I recall, that DC-9 was number 4 off the production line.
All Star Airlines
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550

All Star Airlines
KT550, You Da Man!! ^^

All Star operated one roundtrip flight from Reno to Portland followed by one roundtrip flight up to Seattle. Both flights operated Tuesday, Friday and Sunday with the DC-9 doing the PDX round trip first and then, following a 25 minute turnaround at RNO, heading up to Seattle and back.

Which brings to mind a quick BONUS QUESTION:

Two other airlines competed with All Star on the RNO-PDX market. Both of them also offered nonstop flights. Who can identify those two airlines?

And with that we'll close out my diminutive set. Thanks to one and all for helping to clear those off in an expeditious manner. I have a few more questions ready to go but with my departure for everywhere from Boston to Vientiane fast approaching, I think it best I hold off on presenting those until I return in early May.

In the meantime, word is our pal jlemon has a new set ready to go in the next day or so. And, as always, should any of you care to take a stab at presenting a few of your own questions, our community is always appreciative of your contributions.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 31, 2018 at 6:50 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BONUS QUESTION: Two other airlines competed with All Star on the RNO-PDX market. Both of them also offered nonstop flights.....

In late 1985, this may have been AirCal and PSA. As for equipment, let's go with AirCal with a B737-200 and PSA with an MD-80.

And with the imminent departure of Seat 2A on yet another international adventure, I am planning on submitting a short (but hopefully sweet) batch of new quiz items. I was going to take a break.....but what the heck: OTAQ&D duty calls!

So, once again, should anyone care to submit a quiz item or two (or hopefully more) in the interim, this is your opportunity to have at it!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BONUS QUESTION: Two other airlines competed with All Star on the RNO-PDX market. Both of them also offered nonstop flights.....

In late 1985, this may have been AirCal and PSA. As for equipment, let's go with AirCal with a B737-200 and PSA with an MD-80

Correct! (Although I didn't take note of the equipment) I thought it odd to see California's two dominant (once) intra-state airlines now competing on a route that didn't include California. My first flight on PSA was aboard an ex-Northwest 727-51 from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles in 1980. In fact, I've logged more interstate flights with PSA than I ever did intrastate. My one and only flight on Air Cal was also my very first flight aboard a 737-300 - a 20 minute hop from San Jose to Oakland in 1985.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
... with the imminent departure of Seat 2A on yet another international adventure ... should anyone care to submit a quiz item or two (or hopefully more) in the interim, this is your opportunity to have at it!
here’s a short quiz:

it’s a Tuesday in the spring of 1975, and you’re at a lunchtime meeting in the Indianapolis office discussing the budget for the Santo Domingo project when the phone rings; the on-site project manager needs you there in 24 hours

needless to say, this looks to be almost impossible, but with a bit of creative routing you find a series of three flights that will put you in SDQ at 1425

sleeping in airports doesn’t come easy, so you ask the travel coordinator for the just-expired issue of the North American OAG to peruse during layover time, as you have always wanted to island-hop through the eastern Caribbean ... Antigua, St Maarten, and Martinique are appealing, there are some great flight opportunities over the next week or so, and you can easily get to a good jumping-off point from SDQ

as your flight is taxiing in at SDQ you spot a large piston-engine aircraft at the terminal; a little quick research shows that it makes a daily round-trip to San Juan ... perfect! you book that flight for Friday

early Saturday morning it’s off to St Maarten via a pair of classic piston-engine planes

Monday, another pair of flights will take you to Martinique: the first is on a small four-engine propliner, and the second is at the other extreme of the air travel spectrum

Wednesday morning you have two options to Antigua, but why would anyone opt for a 727 when a turboprop is available?

now you’re up against another challenge: your nephew in Detroit has a pair of box seat tickets for the Tigers game against the Red Sox on Sunday afternoon, so you need to leave Antigua on Saturday, and it looks like the only options are via JFK arriving at 0115

ah, wait, what’s this? a mid-morning departure, with a very makeable connection, that gets in at 1840? done!

the usual rules:
  • we’re looking for routing, airline, and equipment for each of the 11 segments
  • please only submit a couple guesses at a time to let others have a chance
1: IND-DTW - Delta, 72S
2: DTW-JFK - Northwest, 747
3- JFK-SDQ - Pan Am, 747
4- SDQ-SJU - Aerovias Quisqueyana, Constellation

5- SJU-???
6- ???- SXM
7- SXM-PTP - Prinair, Heron
8- PTP-FDF - Air France, 747
9- FDF-ANU - LIAT, HS.748
10- ANU-BDA - Air Canada, DC8

11- BDA-DTW - Eastern, 727

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 10, 2018 at 1:56 pm Reason: down to the last pair here ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.