Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
6. Also in 1968, two airlines were cooperating on the nonstop route between London Heathrow (LHR) and Luxembourg (LUX). Air carrier number one operated two different aircraft types on the LHR-LUX route while air carrier number two operated only one aircraft type. Identify both air carriers and the respective equipment each flew on the route.
Luxair - Fokker F-27 and Caravelle

British European - Trident
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Garuda via Jakarta
23. Nope, the air carrier in question wasn't Garuda and the stop was not made in Jakarta.

And in fact, the stop was made at a location not all that far away from Sydney.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Luxair - Fokker F-27 and Caravelle

British European - Trident
6. Luxair is correct.....however, the equipment operated by LG on the London Heathrow - Luxembourg route at this time wasn't the Caravelle or Fokker F27. In fact, Luxair was only operating one aircraft type on the LHR-LUX route at this time with four round trip flights per week.

The other air carrier was not BEA and the aircraft wasn't a Trident. And we now know that the U.K. based air carrier in question was operating two different aircraft types on the route with one type flown on a Monday through Friday basis and the other operated on Sundays only.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:41 am

6. Luxair is correct.....however, the equipment operated by LG on the London Heathrow - Luxembourg route at this time wasn't the Caravelle or Fokker F27. In fact, Luxair was only operating one aircraft type on the LHR-LUX route at this time with four round trip flights per week.

The other air carrier was not BEA and the aircraft wasn't a Trident. And we now know that the U.K. based air carrier in question was operating two different aircraft types on the route with one type flown on a Monday through Friday basis and the other operated on Sundays only.
Luxair Viscount and 707
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Luxair Viscount and 707
6. Luxair operating a Viscount is correct....and the Viscount was the only aircraft type being operated by LG between LHR and LUX at this time. Here are the scheds.....

LG 403: Luxembourg (LUX) 18:20 - 20:10 London Heathrow (LHR)
Op: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays only
Equip: Viscount

LG 404: London Heathrow (LHR) 20:55 - 22:45 Luxembourg (LUX)
Op: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays only
Equip: Viscount

So we are still looking for the U.K. based air carrier and the two different types of equipment it operated on LHR-LUX route.....one of which wasn't a 707.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:15 pm

I think at one point Alitalia was flying SIN-MEL-SYD as the last legs of their flights from FCO, so that is what I'll guess next.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I think at one point Alitalia was flying SIN-MEL-SYD as the last legs of their flights from FCO, so that is what I'll guess next.
23. Yet another excellent guess as Alitalia was indeed operating from SIN to SYD via a stop in MEL as well as flying nonstop from SIN to SYD at this time.

However, in both cases the equipment was a 747 with one of the flights being operated with a 747 combi (74M).

On the plus side of the column, the stop made by the airline in question flying a DC-10 was Melbourne (MEL).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:39 am

23. Yet another excellent guess as Alitalia was indeed operating from SIN to SYD via a stop in MEL as well as flying nonstop from SIN to SYD at this time.

However, in both cases the equipment was a 747 with one of the flights being operated with a 747 combi (74M).

On the plus side of the column, the stop made by the airline in question flying a DC-10 was Melbourne (MEL).
Thanks to JoeDTW for the hint, I'll try Swissair.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to JoeDTW for the hint, I'll try Swissair.
23. And the process of elimination continues! However, the airline in question wasn't Swissair.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:57 am

23. And the process of elimination continues! However, the airline in question wasn't Swissair.
Finnair next.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finnair next.
23. Nope, it wasn't Finnair......
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:38 am

23. OK, I'll guess a really obscure airline: JAT Yugoslav Airlines.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
23. OK, I'll guess a really obscure airline: JAT Yugoslav Airlines.
23. Correct! The JAT Yugoslav Airlines flight operated twice a week on a routing of Belgrade - Dubai - Singapore - Melbourne - Sydney. JU 580 operated with a DC-10-30 departed SIN a 8:10 pm on Tuesdays and Saturdays and arrived in SYD at 9:00 am.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2. In 1960, Austrian Airlines was offering first class and well as tourist class service on board its Vickers Viscount aircraft. How many first class seats were there on Austrian's Viscounts and where was the first class cabin located on the aircraft?

While I don't have a clue on this one, I'm willing to hazard a guess that'll hopefully come close if not be spot on. First Class sections tended to be larger back in the Good Old Days - even on propjets, I should imagine - but then the Viscount wasn't all that large of an aircraft. I'm going to guess that Austrian offered 12 seats (What would First Class be on a Viscount? 1-2 configuration? Then again, the Europeans have been getting away for years with economy seating masquerading as First Class so maybe First Class was 2-2 with a nicer meal) and given the amount of noise generated by those ear-shattering Darts, I'm going to guess that the First Class section was located in the rear of the cabin, behind the wing.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Howdy Seat 2A!

2. And you are correct, sir! There were 12 first class (F) seats in a 2-2 configuration on Austrian's "Prop-Jet Super Viscount" and they were located in the rear of the aircraft. It appears the F seats were slightly wider than the tourist class (T) seats. Depending on one's location in the T cabin, tourist class seats were either in a 2-2 configuration towards the front of the aircraft (and it appears rows 1 and 2 had seats facing each other) or 2-3 configuration in middle of the aircraft with most T seats being in this config.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.