Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by rosensfole
Thanks, I will

I didn't think that KLM would stop at Dusseldorf, apparently they did! In that case...

Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation would have been the aircraft stopping at: Rome - Cairo - Karachi - Calcutta - Bangkok
Service was KL821 Amsterdam to Jakarta
1. KLM Royal Dutch operating a Super Constellation is correct! Here's the complete sched with times.....

KL 821: Amsterdam 15:30 - 16:25 Dusseldorf 17:25 - 20:30 Rome 21:30 - 03:25 Cairo 04:40 - 16:05 Karachi 19:05 - 00:55 Calcutta 01:55 - 07:20 Bangkok 08:50 - 12:55 Singapore 14:10 - 16:35 Jakarta
Op: Mondays only
Service classes: "Sleep Air First Class with full bedlength reclinable chairs" + Tourist class
Meal service: Between DUS and SIN, dinner twice, breakfast twice and lunch once + lunch BKK-SIN

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 5, 2018 at 5:28 pm Reason: additional info
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Eastern did not serve SFO before deregulation, so that leaves us with Delta. This would have been a combination of all three of Delta's birds: An Owly Bird when it took off from BOS, an Early Bird enroute, on the routes of the Yellowbird.

I'll guess the routing was BOS-PHL-MIA-MCO-ATL-DFW-SFO.
7. Delta operating an L-1011 is correct! However, this flight did not stop at PHL, MIA or MCO. It did stop at ATL but ATL wasn't the fourth stop. And DFW was indeed the fifth stop. So please guess again with regard to the correct routing, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 5, 2018 at 5:28 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:10 pm

7. OK, let's try BOS-JFK-FLL-ATL-MSY-DFW-SFO.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7. OK, let's try BOS-JFK-FLL-ATL-MSY-DFW-SFO.
7. Well, you've got the ATL-MSY-DFW-SFO portion of the routing correct.....however, this flight did not stop at JFK or FLL.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:23 pm

7. OK, we've ruled out JFK and PHL for the first stop, and MIA, FLL, and MCO for the second stop.

I think LGA had a curfew, so the only other 1st stops would be BDL and EWR. I'll guess BOS-BDL-PBI-ATL.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7. OK, we've ruled out JFK and PHL for the first stop, and MIA, FLL, and MCO for the second stop.

I think LGA had a curfew, so the only other 1st stops would be BDL and EWR. I'll guess BOS-BDL-PBI-ATL.
7. You are on the right track here; however, this flight did not stop in BDL or PBI. In fact, it did not stop anywhere in Florida.

So we are continuing to look for the first and second stops: BOS - ___ - ___ - ATL - MSY - DFW - SFO

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 5, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
7. You are on the right track here; however, this flight did not stop in BDL or PBI. In fact, it did not stop anywhere in Florida.

So we are continuing to look for the first and second stops: BOS - ___ - ___ - ATL - MSY - DFW - SFO
OK, my last guess is BOS-EWR-CLT-ATL-MSY-DFW-SFO. If this isn't correct, then I'll let someone else see if they have any ideas.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, my last guess is BOS-EWR-CLT-ATL-MSY-DFW-SFO. If this isn't correct, then I'll let someone else see if they have any ideas.
7. Joe, perseverance is the key! And you are correct! Here's the sched....

DL 1183: Boston (BOS) 12:10a - 1:03a New York Newark (EWR) 1:55a - 3:25a Charlotte (CLT) 4:15a - 5:05a Atlanta (ATL) 6:10a - 6:30a New Orleans (MSY) 7:10a - 8:22a Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 9:10a - 10:32a San Francisco (SFO)
Op: Daily
Equip: L-1011 TriStar (50 seats in F, 200 seats in Y)
Meal service: Breakfast in F/Y ATL-MSY, Breakfast in F/Snack in Y MSY-DFW, Brunch in F/Y DFW-SFO
Note: FN/YN EWR-DFW, F/Y DFW-SFO (yes, the 7:10a departure from MSY to DFW was operated FN/YN)

And speaking of Delta, I have now finalized plans for Lady K and yours truly to fly on board an A330 in the front cabin in Delta One from ATL to AMS later this year. Our actual routing will be LFT-ATL-AMS-BOD with the last segment being in what passes for business class on board a KLM City Hopper E190. We are going to float around the river system in the Bordeaux area on a very nice vessel for about a week or so and, yes, wine tasting will no doubt occur. We also have a 5+ hour layover in ATL on the way over which will enable us to visit the Delta Flight Museum at ATL and also visit with an old friend who is an executive with Delta based in ATL. We are really looking forward to this trip which will be a celebration following my retirement later this year.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 6, 2018 at 5:31 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. It's 1962 and you are in Nassau in the Bahamas. You need to travel to Toronto and have found a weekly service that departs every Saturday. One intermediate stop is made en route. What airline will you be flying with? Also name the aircraft type and identify the stop. The stop was made in Florida and the equipment was a four engine aircraft. ANSWERED

6. Now it's 1971 and you are in downtown St. Louis. You have been urgently summoned to a meeting in downtown Chicago and have found a nonstop flight departing from the closest airport to your location which arrives at the closest airport to your destination in downtown Chicago. You will be flying on board a turboprop aircraft that is larger than other equipment operated by commuter air carriers at this time. And you will not be departing from STL or arriving into ORD. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from, the airport you will arrive into and the aircraft type. The departure airport was St. Louis Downtown Airport (CPS). The arrival airport in Chicago was not Meigs Field. The airline in question wasn't Ozark and the equipment was not an FH-227 although the aircraft was generally similar in size and had been operated by three U.S. local service air carriers. This airline was a new start up which was not around very long. ANSWERED
Just two to go here.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 7, 2018 at 6:40 pm Reason: "answered" update
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a bonus quiz item: name the first three destinations in the Pacific Northwest served by Cascade Airways with the BAC One-Eleven when the twin jet was introduced into the CZ fleet in 1984.
Plus this one....and I'll provide answers for all three tomorrow evening should there be no takers.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here's a bonus quiz item: Name the first three destinations in the Pacific Northwest served by Cascade Airways with the BAC One-Eleven when the twin jet was introduced into the CZ fleet in 1984.

I'll take a stab at it. Let's keep it simple for starters - Spokane, Boise and Portland.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey Seat 2A!

Great guesses! However, BOI, GEG and PDX are all incorrect!

So please guess again, sir......and should you elect to indulge in an Alaskan Brewing Co. Icy Bay IPA during your flights in F today on AS, please let us know your impression of this microbrew!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. It's 1962 and you are in Nassau in the Bahamas. You need to travel to Toronto and have found a weekly service that departs every Saturday. One intermediate stop is made en route. What airline will you be flying with? Also name the aircraft type and identify the stop.

6. Now it's 1971 and you are in downtown St. Louis. You have been urgently summoned to a meeting in downtown Chicago and have found a nonstop flight departing from the closest airport to your location which arrives at the closest airport to your destination in downtown Chicago. You will be flying on board a turboprop aircraft that is larger than other equipment operated by commuter air carriers at this time. And you will not be departing from STL or arriving into ORD. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from, the airport you will arrive into and the aircraft type.
Time to wrap these two up.....

2. The air carrier was Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA). Here's the sched....

TC 787: Nassau (NAS) 2:30p - 3:55p Tampa (TPA) 4:55p - 9:05p Toronto (YYZ)
Op: Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner TPA-YYZ
Equip: Vickers Vanguard

Tampa was the only destination in Florida served by Trans-Canada at this time. TCA was also operating all of its Caribbean services as well as all flights to Nassau and Bermuda with the Vickers Vanguard in the spring of 1962 with destinations including Antigua, Barbados, Kingston, Montego Bay and Port of Spain.

6. The air carrier was Air Mid-America Airlines operating the Convair 600 with two round trip nonstop flights operated on weekdays between Downtown St. Louis Airport (CPS) and Chicago Midway (MDW). The one way CPS-MDW fare was $20.00. Air Mid-America was also serving Champaign/Urbana, IL (CMI) and Springfield, IL (SPI) with the CV-600 at this time. And the three U.S. local service air carriers which operated the Convair 600 were Central Airlines, Frontier Airlines and Trans-Texas/Texas International. In addition, Wright Air Lines operated all of its flights at one point with the CV-600 as well.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Bonus quiz item: Name the first three destinations in the Pacific Northwest served by Cascade Airways with the BAC One-Eleven when the twin jet was introduced into the CZ fleet in 1984.

Great guesses! However, BOI, GEG and PDX are all incorrect! So please guess again, sir......and should you elect to indulge in an Alaskan Brewing Co. Icy Bay IPA during your flights in F today on AS, please let us know your impression of this microbrew!

First things first - back in late September of 1984, I booked round trip flights from Seattle down to Pasco - specifically to try out Cascade and Horizon's new jet aircraft. Unfortunately, my scheduled BAC-111 flight between Seattle and Pasco was instead operated by a venerable HS-748 - not a bad consolation prize I suppose, but not the jet I was looking for. Though I don't know exactly when CZ commenced 111 flights, this was fairly early on for the airline's 111 service, so let's go with Seattle and Pasco for starters. As for the other city - I've not a clue... How about Yakima?!

Secondly, as requested I did indeed check out the Alaska Brewing Co. Icy Bay IPA. I normally never order beer aboard airplanes because almost uniformly the flight attendants never manage to serve it cold. Still, I dutifully asked for the IPA but ONLY if it were truly cold. The FA assured me that the beer was and had been on ice. Yes perhaps it had with just a small portion of the can laying atop the ice rather than ensconced amidst it. In any event, my beer was delivered luke cold - okay in England perhaps but distressingly tepid by our standards. I took a couple of sips - enough to determine that it was indeed nicely hopped and pleasingly flavorful. Henceforth however, I am more resolute than ever in my determination to avoid ordering any type of beer aloft - unless jlemon happens to be the flight attendant.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CZ Bonus Quiz Item

Seattle (SEA) and Pasco (PSC) are indeed correct! However, Cascade also introduced One-Eleven service into a third destination that was not Yakima. So please guess again!

Hmmmmmm....flight attendant jlemon....perhaps this is an opportunity for a second career....but I would not be holding my breath with regard to this possibility!

And attention Alaska Air: please serve your microbrews COLD. I'll be flying AS in F later this year and shall see what might be able to be arranged concerning receiving a properly chilled ale!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.