Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
6. I think there was air service from St Louis Downtown Airport in Cahokia, IL (CPS) to Meigs Field. I'm not sure of the operator, so I'll guess Ozark with a FH-227.

10. Ocean Reef Airways, from Miami to the Ocean Reef Club on Key Largo. I have no idea of the equipment, but I remember that they were bought out by PBA a year or two before PBA self destructed.
Good Morning Joe!

6. Indeed, the airport in question is St. Louis Downtown Airport (CPS) located just across the mighty Mississippi River from downtown St. Louis. However, the airline in question was not Ozark and the equipment wasn't a Fairchild Hiller FH-227, although the aircraft was a twin engine turboprop generally similar in size to the FH-227 with the type in question having been previously operated by three U.S. based local service air carriers. In addition, this service did not operate to Meigs Field. So please guess again, sir!

10. Ocean Reef Airways is correct! The flights between Miami International (MIA) and the Ocean Reef Club Airport (OCA) located on Key Largo took 15 minutes with a one way fare of $25. The distance between MIA and OCA is just over 30 miles. After acquiring Ocean Reef Airways, it is reported that PBA continued to fly the route with Cessna 402 aircraft with up to seven round trips a day. And as for the equipment operated by Ocean Reef Airways.......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 3, 2018 at 7:03 am Reason: OCA airport location
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Thanks to JoeDTW for starting the answer - I'll try and put it out of its misery by adding Twin Otter for the type. (Thanks to Google and Wikipedia for their help).
10. Correct! I believe Ocean Reef Airways only had one DHC-6 Twin Otter although it is reported they also operated charter service out of OCA with Beechcraft Baron and Piper Navajo aircraft to destinations in the Bahamas as well as in Florida including the Walt Disney World Airport (DWS, a.k.a. the Lake Buena Vista STOLport).

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 3, 2018 at 7:05 am Reason: more info
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
11. It's 1981 and you are in Spokane. You've been invited to a Leon Russell concert in Tulsa and your friends have back stage passes. You discover there is a daily direct flight departing GEG at 7:00 am that will get you into TUL at 2:26 pm - plenty of time to get ready for the show. Three stops will be made en route and you will also be served lunch on one of the legs. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

This sounds like a Frontier routing. If so, I imagine Denver and Oklahoma City would be in there for sure. I'm at a bit of a loss on the other stop but I'm guessing it'd be somewhere between Spokane and Denver, in which case Salt Lake City sounds like as good a stop as any. So then, let's go with Frontier operating a 737-200 routing GEG-SLC-DEN-OKC-TUL.

On a side note, anybody here happen to know the other name under which Leon Russell released a couple of albums?

12. In the fall of 1983, this U.S. based airline ran a print ad with the following message:

Our Happy Hour Is All Day Long On Our _____(turboprop aircraft type)________ Free Cocktails 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Well, I recall Horizon offering complimentary beers and wines from the Pacific Northwest over the years. Maybe back in 1983 they also used to offer cocktails. So, let's start with Horizon operating F.27s.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
11. It's 1981 and you are in Spokane. You've been invited to a Leon Russell concert in Tulsa and your friends have back stage passes. You discover there is a daily direct flight departing GEG at 7:00 am that will get you into TUL at 2:26 pm - plenty of time to get ready for the show. Three stops will be made en route and you will also be served lunch on one of the legs. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

This sounds like a Frontier routing. If so, I imagine Denver and Oklahoma City would be in there for sure. I'm at a bit of a loss on the other stop but I'm guessing it'd be somewhere between Spokane and Denver, in which case Salt Lake City sounds like as good a stop as any. So then, let's go with Frontier operating a 737-200 routing GEG-SLC-DEN-OKC-TUL.

On a side note, anybody here happen to know the other name under which Leon Russell released a couple of albums?

12. In the fall of 1983, this U.S. based airline ran a print ad with the following message:

Our Happy Hour Is All Day Long On Our _____(turboprop aircraft type)________ Free Cocktails 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Well, I recall Horizon offering complimentary beers and wines from the Pacific Northwest over the years. Maybe back in 1983 they also used to offer cocktails. So, let's start with Horizon operating F.27s.
11. Frontier operating a Boeing 737-200 is correct! However, you've only correctly guessed one of the stops, being Denver (DEN), so please guess again!

Ah, Mr. Leon Russell.....when I was attending the University of Texas in Austin back in the early 1970's, the progressive country music scene was in full force in Austin. This was a counter cultural form of country music featuring elements of rock n' roll....but it was not influenced too much by rock at that time. Leon Russell was very much involved in the progressive music scene in addition to recording and performing his rock n' roll music. One of his buddies in the Austin scene was Willie Nelson and they would perform live together. However, Leon used the name Hank Wilson for these gigs which included a very memorable show at the legendary Armadillo World Headquarters concert hall and beer garden in Austin one fine evening (I seem to recall attending that show; however, details are a bit....ah....hazy ). So there you go: Hank Wilson.

12. Nope, it wasn't Horizon Air nor was the equipment an F27. However, you are very much on track here so please take another shot at this one!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good morning from cloudy Seattle. I've got a free day in town before flying out this evening to Denver where a variety of appointments and chores await me over the next two days. Coffee and really good pastry here in the University District will shortly be followed by a ferry ride out to Bremerton and back. And - as an added bonus, my upgrade cleared! Back to snowy Fairbanks on Tuesday. As to these questions, I might as well flail around a bit more...

Frontier operating a Boeing 737-200 is correct! However, you've only correctly guessed one of the stops, being Denver (DEN), so please guess again!

Hmm... Outside of OKC and maybe ICT, I don't see a lot of options between Denver and Tulsa. I do recall Frontier once routing through Montana out of Spokane, though I don't recall either the timeline or the exact routing. But what the heck, let's take a stab with Montana's two largest cities and say the flight routed GEG-GTF-BIL-DEN-TUL.

Good call there on Hank Wilson, JL. I've got a couple of albums he released under the Hank Wilson moniker. Another appealing collaboration I had the good fortune to see live a couple of times was Leon playing with the New Grass Revival.

12. In the fall of 1983, this U.S. based airline ran a print ad with the following message: Our Happy Hour Is All Day Long On Our _____(turboprop aircraft type)________ Free Cocktails 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Nope, it wasn't Horizon Air nor was the equipment an F27. However, you are very much on track here so please take another shot at this one!

On the right track, you say... I'm gonna take that to mean geographically and go with Cascade operating HS748s.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Good morning from cloudy Seattle. I've got a free day in town before flying out this evening to Denver where a variety of appointments and chores await me over the next two days. Coffee and really good pastry here in the University District will shortly be followed by a ferry ride out to Bremerton and back. And - as an added bonus, my upgrade cleared! Back to snowy Fairbanks on Tuesday. As to these questions, I might as well flail around a bit more...

Frontier operating a Boeing 737-200 is correct! However, you've only correctly guessed one of the stops, being Denver (DEN), so please guess again!

Hmm... Outside of OKC and maybe ICT, I don't see a lot of options between Denver and Tulsa. I do recall Frontier once routing through Montana out of Spokane, though I don't recall either the timeline or the exact routing. But what the heck, let's take a stab with Montana's two largest cities and say the flight routed GEG-GTF-BIL-DEN-TUL.

Good call there on Hank Wilson, JL. I've got a couple of albums he released under the Hank Wilson moniker. Another appealing collaboration I had the good fortune to see live a couple of times was Leon playing with the New Grass Revival. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H7qFT8U5uo

12. In the fall of 1983, this U.S. based airline ran a print ad with the following message: Our Happy Hour Is All Day Long On Our _____(turboprop aircraft type)________ Free Cocktails 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Nope, it wasn't Horizon Air nor was the equipment an F27. However, you are very much on track here so please take another shot at this one!

On the right track, you say... I'm gonna take that to mean geographically and go with Cascade operating HS748s.
11. Yep, this flight did stop in Billings....however, it did not stop in Great Falls. But what the heck....you're close enough with your answer! Here's the sched.....

FL 162: Spokane (GEG) 7:00a - 8:37a Missoula (MSO) 8:57a - 9:42a Billings (BIL) 10:05a - 11:22a Denver (DEN) 12:00n - 2:26p Tulsa (TUL)
Op: Daily
Equip: 73S
Meal: Lunch DEN-TUL

12. Correct! And BTW, Cascade Airways (CZ) did not begin operating BAC One-Eleven aircraft until the summer of 1984.

So here's a bonus quiz item: name the first three destinations served by Cascade with the BAC One-Eleven when the twin jet was introduced into the CZ fleet in 1984.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

1. In 1957, this airline was operating a direct, no change of plane flight from Dusseldorf to Singapore once a week. Five intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all five stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

2. It's 1962 and you are in Nassau in the Bahamas. You need to travel to Toronto and have found a weekly service that departs every Saturday. One intermediate stop is made en route. What airline will you be flying with? Also name the aircraft type and identify the stop. The stop was made in Florida.

3. In 1968 this U.S. commuter air carrier made the following statement on the cover of its timetable:

Now flying 600 mph Lear Jetliners

The airline in question was operating Learjet service to five destinations, three of which were airports serving larger cities. Name this commuter air carrier as well as the three larger airports. ANSWERED

6. Now it's 1971 and you are in downtown St. Louis. You have been urgently summoned to a meeting in downtown Chicago and have found a nonstop flight departing from the closest airport to your location which arrives at the closest airport to your destination in downtown Chicago. You will be flying on board a turboprop aircraft that is larger than other equipment operated by commuter air carriers at this time. And you will not be departing from STL or arriving into ORD. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from, the airport you will arrive into and the aircraft type. This flight departed from St. Louis Downtown Airport (CPS). The flight did not arrive into Meigs Field. The equipment was a twin engine turboprop which had been operated by three different U.S. local service air carriers.

7. It's 1974 and you've just finished having dinner with friends in Boston when you receive a message asking you to travel to San Francisco as soon as possible in order to review contract documents for a new project you will be undertaking as a consultant. However, a quick review of schedules reveals no nonstop red eye flights from BOS to SFO. So what to do? Ah, here's a direct flight offering first class which departs BOS at 12:10 am. Then you discover this service makes five intermediate stops en route, arriving into SFO at 10:32 am. Well, what the heck.....you'll be up front! Name the air carrier, all five stops in order and the equipment. This flight was operated by Delta with an L-1011 on a routing of BOS - ___ - ___ - ATL - MSY - DFW - SFO. Still looking for the first two stops, neither of which was in Florida.
Just three to go and I have added some hints.

And my next set will be mostly comprised of quiz items with an international theme.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 5, 2018 at 5:39 pm Reason: "answered" and other updates
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:03 pm

3. In 1968 this U.S. commuter air carrier made the following statement on the cover of its timetable:

Now flying 600 mph Lear Jetliners

The airline in question was operating Learjet service to five destinations, three of which were airports serving larger cities. Name this commuter air carrier as well as the three larger airports. One of the larger airports was STL.
How about Sun Airlines. Cities served included St. Louis, Kansas City and Tulsa.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
1. In 1957, this airline was operating a direct, no change of plane flight from Dusseldorf to Singapore once a week. Five intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all five stops in the order in which they were made. This flight did not originate at DUS or terminate in SIN.
BOAC ran a service via Dusseldorf to that part of the world. Early on they ran an Argonaut to SIN but there were more than 5 stops (Rome,Istanbul, Baghdad, Bahrain, Karachi, Bombay, Colombo,Kuala Lumpur). I guess, then, that this was eventually replaced by the Britannia (which was flown via Frankfurt at that time).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:59 pm

I'll start the guessing on the BOS-SFO question: A TWA L-1011 via PIT, ORD, MCI, ABQ, and PHX. If you are really lucky, Jon Proctor will be working your flight.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
How about Sun Airlines. Cities served included St. Louis, Kansas City and Tulsa.
Hello KT550!

3. Correct! I believe Sun Airlines, which was based at St. Louis Lambert Field (STL), operated the Lear 24 model which was configured with eight passenger seats. And besides St. Louis, Kansas City and Tulsa, Sun also operated Lear Jet service to Memphis. Routes flown with the Lear Jet included Memphis - Cape Girardeau, MO - St. Louis, Tulsa - Springfield, MO - St. Louis and Tulsa - Kansas City. It appears the airline may have also operated the Cessna 402 (reference is made to "Cessna Turbo-charged" aircraft). And this commuter air carrier also made this statement in its March 1, 1968 timetable: "Coming - Rolls-Royce Powered Jetstreams....." which was accompanied by an illustration of a Handley Page Jetstream. I find that statement to be interesting as I don't recall the HP Jetstream being powered by R-R turboprop engines. Sun Airlines motto was "As Dependable as the Sun"; however, I do not think they were around all that long, at least with regard to offering scheduled passenger service.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 4, 2018 at 4:23 pm Reason: clarification
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosensfole
BOAC ran a service via Dusseldorf to that part of the world. Early on they ran an Argonaut to SIN but there were more than 5 stops (Rome,Istanbul, Baghdad, Bahrain, Karachi, Bombay, Colombo,Kuala Lumpur). I guess, then, that this was eventually replaced by the Britannia (which was flown via Frankfurt at that time).
Welcome rosensfole!

1. Great guess! However, the air carrier in question wasn't BOAC and the equipment was not an Argonaut or Britannia. But on the plus side of the column you have correctly identified the first stop: Rome. And this flight stopped in Karachi as well, however, Karachi wasn't the fifth stop. Remember: we are looking for the correct order of the stops here as part of the answer. Please guess again, sir!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I'll start the guessing on the BOS-SFO question: A TWA L-1011 via PIT, ORD, MCI, ABQ, and PHX. If you are really lucky, Jon Proctor will be working your flight.
Hi Joe!

7. Ah, Mr. Proctor was not working this flight as it was not operated by TWA. In addition, the service did not stop at any of the airports you have listed. But guess what? The equipment was indeed an L-1011....which should most likely speed things up here with regard to identity of the airline in question.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Welcome rosensfole!

1. Great guess! However, the air carrier in question wasn't BOAC and the equipment was not an Argonaut or Britannia. But on the plus side of the column you have correctly identified the first stop: Rome. And this flight stopped in Karachi as well, however, Karachi wasn't the fifth stop. Remember: we are looking for the correct order of the stops here as part of the answer. Please guess again, sir!
Thanks, I will

I didn't think that KLM would stop at Dusseldorf, apparently they did! In that case...

Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation would have been the aircraft stopping at: Rome - Cairo - Karachi - Calcutta - Bangkok
Service was KL821 Amsterdam to Jakarta
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:07 am

Hi Joe!

7. Ah, Mr. Proctor was not working this flight as it was not operated by TWA. In addition, the service did not stop at any of the airports you have listed. But guess what? The equipment was indeed an L-1011....which should most likely speed things up here with regard to identity of the airline in question.
Eastern did not serve SFO before deregulation, so that leaves us with Delta. This would have been a combination of all three of Delta's birds: An Owly Bird when it took off from BOS, an Early Bird enroute, on the routes of the Yellowbird.

I'll guess the routing was BOS-PHL-MIA-MCO-ATL-DFW-SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.