Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
8. It used to be that if you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 out of Reno, you called Hughes Airwest. Not anymore. Three different airlines operate the “Baby Nine” into Reno. Can you identify each airline?

Per jlemon: Hmmmmm.....so what other airline was operating DC9 service out west in 1985? Well, I believe Continental was using the airplane at its hub operation in Denver at the time. So let's try CO flying DEN-RNO.

An excellent guess, Sir. But again, I must be the bearer of bad tidings and inform that alas, it was not Continental either.

If I may - a hint perhaps... The airline in question was a short-lived post-deregulation carrier.

7. Despite their relative proximity, Boise and Reno have not been well served by either direct or nonstop airline service. Thankfully that’s changed over the past year with a single nonstop flight that operates four days per week. Best of all, the flight is operated by a jet which means – given the time zone difference – that the flight arrives in Reno five minutes before it left Boise. Cool! Identify the airline and aircraft type involved here.

Per jlemon: This sure sounds like Cascade Airways (CZ) operating a BAC One-Eleven. If so, I believe that Reno was the southernmost city in the western U.S. ever served by Cascade with the One-Eleven. CZ had announced in 1984 they would also begin service to San Francisco (SFO), presumably with the One-Eleven....but it never happened and shortly after service was initiated to RNO, the airline was out of business. And I have the feeling the operating costs of the BAC One-Eleven played a part in the demise of Cascade.

Correct! Here's the schedule:
Cascade CZ 21 Boise (BOI) 115p-110p Reno (RNO) BAC-111 Freq.. Mo Th Fr Su

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 8, 2018 at 10:11 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
14. It’s 1975. You’re in Mexico City looking forward to your flight home in Royal Class. One stop is made enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft, the destination and the enroute stop.

Per JoeDTW:I'll guess a KLM 747 to AMS, via IAH.

Right you are, Joe. I have a sales brochure detailing KLM's Royal Service course by course and lavishly illustrated. It looks like it was a wonderful way to fly.

20. In 1960, this airline became the first of the U.S. Local Service Carriers to board more than one million passengers in a single year.

Per JoeDTW: Mohawk.

Mohawk would seem an excellent guess especially given its main route system through the comparatively densely populated North East. But - according to the article I referenced for this question, it was a different airline. Please - guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 8, 2018 at 10:27 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1985 OAG

8. It used to be that if you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 out of Reno, you called Hughes Airwest. Not anymore. Three different airlines operate the “Baby Nine” into Reno. Can you identify each airline?
Republic and Sunworld Int'l. have been correctly identified. Horizon and Great American Airways and Continental are incorrect. We're still looking for the elusive third airline...

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

12. For many years, this country had an official policy dictating that only two airlines would be permitted to operate flights between capital cities and other major regional cities. Further, both airlines would be required to maintain parity in their respective services, including operating the same types of aircraft. Identify the country and the two airlines so affected.
A N S W E R E D

17. When the manufacturer of the originally planned engine became insolvent, this aircraft company had to settle on another manufacturer’s engine to power its new jetliner. The new powerplant was commonly used to power helicopters and because of its lesser thrust necessitated a major design change in this aircraft’s development. What aircraft are we talking about here?
A N S W E R E D

19. What airline operated the last revenue passenger flight with the Bristol Britannia?
A N S W E R E D (Open to further discussion if desired) (Actually, anything and everything is open to further discussion regardless of desire!)

20. In 1960, this airline became the first of the U.S. Local Service Carriers to board more than one million passengers in a single year.
A N S W E R E D

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1970 OAG

23. Identify each of the five foreign built jet aircraft types found in scheduled service within the pages of this OAG
A N S W E R E D
Dassault Fanjet Falcon subject to further review

25. Passengers desiring to fly out of Paris, Texas aboard anything bigger than a Beech 99 will have to fly on this airline and aircraft.
A N S W E R E D

28. It’s a dreary autumn afternoon in Kansas City with snow and sleet forecast for the weekend. There’s a knock at the door. Gasp! It’s the Western Union man with a telegraph from your cousin Arnie. You are cordially invited to join him and Ginger, his newfound bride to be as they tie the knot this weekend in Las Vegas. Ginger! I thought he was going out with – oh never mind. Vegas sounds great right about now. You can rent a tux when you get there. There are no nonstop flights but there is a two-stopper that departs MKC at 8:20am, arriving Vegas at 11:28am. Yeah, but does it go through Denver? That’s where the storm is right now, so you don’t want to go through there. Good news! It doesn’t. And better yet, First Class is available! Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

31. Whilst perusing the pages of my beloved 1970 OAG, I found scheduled BAC-111 flights being operated by six airlines. Identify those six airlines if you can. If you can’t, that’s okay too. Go have a beer or something.
AA, BN, LR, MO & QB identified so far. Aloha, Lanica and TACA subject to further review

32. There are two daily nonstop flights between Seattle (SEA) and Dallas (DAL) One of them is operated with a pure jet, while the other features a fanjet powered aircraft. Identify each aircraft and the airline that operates it.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 16, 2018 at 2:50 pm
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

17. When the manufacturer of the originally planned engine became insolvent, this aircraft company had to settle on another manufacturer’s engine to power its new jetliner. The new powerplant was commonly used to power helicopters and because of its lesser thrust necessitated a major design change in this aircraft’s development. What aircraft are we talking about here?

19. What airline operated the last revenue passenger flight with the Bristol Britannia?
17. That'll be the BAe 146 which ended up using Avco Lycoming engines after Rolls Royce ceased. I found a series of YouTube videos on 146 development just yesterday; the helicopter connection was mentioned.

19. Probably not the answer you have in mind but the Britannias in Zaire used to have a small passenger cabin in the rear. I remember reading about that in "Propliner" magazine in the early 1980s and thought that it would be a great day out.
Katale Air Transport? 1984?

KT
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
12. That would be Australia and the airlines Ansett and Trans Australian Airlines (TAA).
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
25. I know that Central Airlines served Paris (PRX) with the Convair 600 during the late 1960's. However, by 1970 Central had been merged into Frontier. So I'll guess FL is the air carrier we are looking for. The equipment is a bit more tricky. Was it a DC-3? Or a Convair 580? Or perhaps even a Convair 600? Frontier continued to operate the CV-600 aircraft inherited from Central for awhile before phasing them out in favor of the CV-580. What the heck....I'll go with the Convair 580.

28. This sounds like TWA. If it is, I'll then go with Kansas City - Wichita - Albuquerque - Las Vegas operated with a Convair 880.

31. Well, I take it we are talking about the North American OAG here. If so, I can think of NINE possible BAC One-Eleven operators in 1970 to include Aloha, American, Braniff International, Cayman Airways, LACSA, LANICA, Mohawk, Quebecair and TACA.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 9, 2018 at 12:43 pm Reason: added BAC One-Eleven operators
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... 1970
23. Identify each of the five foreign built jet aircraft types found in scheduled service within the pages of this OAG
23- well, we already have the BAC 1-11. and I remember that Air France was still running their Caribbean island-hopper with the Caravelle; I suspect two of the others were Fifth Freedom operations into and out of Montreal/Toronto using the VC-10 (BOAC) and the IL-62 (various operators) ... as for the last one, I also recall seeing the designator "FJF" in an OAG, but it escapes me as to which airline actually flew the Dassault Falcon in passenger service

request for clarification: on 21 and 24, are you looking for the longest single segment or (if one exists) the longest multi-stop route?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Post 12483 Q12
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
12. That would be Australia and the airlines Ansett and Trans Australian Airlines (TAA).
They had the same prices and had the same schedule on major routes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansett_Australia RIP (courtesy of Air NZ)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Australia_Airlines Now branded as Qantas
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550

That'll be the BAe 146 which ended up using Avco Lycoming engines after Rolls Royce ceased. I found a series of YouTube videos on 146 development just yesterday; the helicopter connection was mentioned.

Correct you are, KT! I read about it in Air Classics #5 p. 17. Originally envisioned as a T-tailed rear mounted twin engine jet using Rolls-Royce Trents (and as I recall then known as the HS-146) the switch to AVCO Lycoming ALF-502-R5 turbofans with their modest thrust of just 6970 lb each necessitated the use of 4 engines and a switch to the over-wing design.

Probably not the answer you have in mind but the Britannias in Zaire used to have a small passenger cabin in the rear. I remember reading about that in "Propliner" magazine in the early 1980s and thought that it would be a great day out. Katale Air Transport? 1984?

Sounds good to me (for all I know!) My source (Airways Magazine January 2018) claimed it was Monarch in 1974 from Lisbon to Luton. It would be easy to see how Katale Air Transport might be overlooked - especially if they were operating a combi-service.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
12. For many years, this country had an official policy dictating that only two airlines would be permitted to operate flights between capital cities and other major regional cities. Further, both airlines would be required to maintain parity in their respective services, including operating the same types of aircraft. Identify the country and the two airlines so affected.

That would be Australia and the airlines Ansett and Trans Australian Airlines (TAA).

I should've known this question would lure you out with the correct answer, RMD. Good on ya, Mate! Spot on! ^ It had to have come like a big breath of fresh air the day that policy was finally rescinded.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
25. Passengers desiring to fly out of Paris, Texas aboard anything bigger than a Beech 99 will have to fly on this airline and aircraft.

I know that Central Airlines served Paris (PRX) with the Convair 600 during the late 1960's. However, by 1970 Central had been merged into Frontier. So I'll guess FL is the air carrier we are looking for. The equipment is a bit more tricky. Was it a DC-3? Or a Convair 580? Or perhaps even a Convair 600? Frontier continued to operate the CV-600 aircraft inherited from Central for awhile before phasing them out in favor of the CV-580. What the heck....I'll go with the Convair 580.

Way to trust your instincts, JL! Frontier with the 580 it was, operating into Paris from Dallas Love Field and Ft. Smith, Arkansas.

28. It’s a dreary autumn afternoon in Kansas City with snow and sleet forecast for the weekend. There’s a knock at the door. Gasp! It’s the Western Union man with a telegraph from your cousin Arnie. You are cordially invited to join him and Ginger, his newfound bride to be as they tie the knot this weekend in Las Vegas. Ginger! I thought he was going out with – oh never mind. Vegas sounds great right about now. You can rent a tux when you get there. There are no nonstop flights but there is a two-stopper that departs MKC at 8:20am, arriving Vegas at 11:28am. Yeah, but does it go through Denver? That’s where the storm is right now, so you don’t want to go through there. Good news! It doesn’t. And better yet, First Class is available! Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.

This sounds like TWA. If it is, I'll then go with Kansas City - Wichita - Albuquerque - Las Vegas operated with a Convair 880.

It does sound like TWA, doesn't it? But with a bunch of smart guys like you all out there, there's no way I would've let you off so easy. No... we're looking for a different carrier here, although the last leg was indeed ABQ-LAS. Care to finish it off?

31. Whilst perusing the pages of my beloved 1970 OAG, I found scheduled BAC-111 flights being operated by six airlines. Identify those six airlines if you can. If you can’t, that’s okay too. Go have a beer or something.

Well, I take it we are talking about the North American OAG here. If so, I can think of NINE possible BAC One-Eleven operators in 1970 to include Aloha, American, Braniff International, Cayman Airways, LACSA, LANICA, Mohawk, Quebecair and TACA.

I suppose that might depend upon how late into 1970 you are. My version is very late and so I'm pretty sure Aloha's are not shown. Tell you what - you've hit five of the six I had found based upon 2 letter airline code - no code shares). I did not see Aloha, Cayman, Lanica or TACA - the latter two which might have been flying into MSY or HOU. In the meantime, we think alike on AA, BN, LR QB and MO. You'll be kickin' yourself over the one you missed though... I'll check on Lanica and TACA when I get home in a few days. Any idea where those two flew into the US from that could be found in a North American OAG?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Well, we already have the BAC 1-11. and I remember that Air France was still running their Caribbean island-hopper with the Caravelle; I suspect two of the others were Fifth Freedom operations into and out of Montreal/Toronto using the VC-10 (BOAC) and the IL-62 (various operators) ... as for the last one, I also recall seeing the designator "FJF" in an OAG, but it escapes me as to which airline actually flew the Dassault Falcon in passenger service

You're correct on every one with the possible exception of the Dassault Falcon. Can you provide a bit more info as to airline and route? If its there I'll look it up and post the schedule for us. Other'n that, there's one more foreign type with quite a few flights listed in the North American OAG. Can you identify the missing foreigner?

Request for clarification: on 21 and 24, are you looking for the longest single segment or (if one exists) the longest multi-stop route?

I am looking for The Longest Single Segment.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Regarding Australia's 2 Airline Policy with Ansett and TAA:

They had the same prices and had the same schedule on major routes

Which one had the best service? From my limited experience (a few flights on each) Ansett would get my vote.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
23- I’m certain that, by 1970, Mexicana’s Comet IV fleet was long since parked, and I don’t think there were any Trident operators on this side of the pond; this says that the last of the five non-U.S.-built jetliners was of Russian origin, and therefore operated by Cubana

the “quite a few flights listed” remark suggests it wasn’t a TU-154, so that leads me to speculate that we are looking at a Yak-40
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
23- I’m certain that, by 1970, Mexicana’s Comet IV fleet was long since parked, and I don’t think there were any Trident operators on this side of the pond; this says that the last of the five non-U.S.-built jetliners was of Russian origin, and therefore operated by Cubana. The “quite a few flights listed” remark suggests it wasn’t a TU-154, so that leads me to speculate that we are looking at a Yak-40
You may want to double check on your certainties, Señor. Mexicana estaba volando los Comets hasta Diciembre, 1970.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.