Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Per YVRCockroach: 22. You’re in Laughlin, Nevada and for reasons best discussed another time you suddenly need to get out of town as soon as possible. That means a jet! A nearby airport offers a single almost daily jet flight away from the region. Fortunately that flight will be departing tonight. Identify the airport, the airline operating the single jet flight from it, the aircraft type and – if you feel up to it – the destination of that flight.

Back in that day, I want to say it was Reno Air (QQ) at its peak flying an MD-80 out of Bullhead City (IFP). The flight wouldn't have been to RNO so I'll guess the 2nd hub of SJC (if that's out of the region).

Boy, you guys are on top of your game tonight! Reno Air to SJC it was. ^

Reno Air QQ 899 Bullhead City (IFP) 940p – 1100p San Jose (SJC) MD80 X36
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
48. Most days of the week, Iberia’s one stop flights between Mexico City and Madrid stopped in Montreal. One day a week however, the service utilized a different stop. Identify that stop and the aircraft utilized.
!
I'll say HAV with a DC-8. Not sure which flavour though.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Per YVR Cockroach:48. Most days of the week, Iberia’s one stop flights between Mexico City and Madrid stopped in Montreal. One day a week however, the service utilized a different stop. Identify that stop and the aircraft utilized.

Oooo - Havana! I like it! Unfortunately however, HAV is not the stop we're looking for in this instance. It was on a different island. Please, guess again!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Oooo - Havana! I like it! Unfortunately however, HAV is not the stop we're looking for in this instance. It was on a different island. Please, guess again!
I know IB ran a 747 on MEX-YUL-MAD (I could see the contrails from campus in Ithaca NY) ... maybe the once-weekly stop was in San Juan (SJU)
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:34 am

30. Eastwind 737, from Trenton.

32. HP, from PHX.

46. I'll guess a Proud Bird 727 with a Golden Tail, on a MCI-TUL-OKC-DAL-IAH-SAT-ELP-TUS-PHX-LAX route.

49. BWIA 707, via Trinidad, Barbados, and Antigua.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
32. You really like 757s. I mean, you really, really like them. You’d rather fly upon a 757 than any other airplane - especially on a good long flight to Honolulu where you’re vacationing next month. Imagine then your surprise to discover that per your 1995 Pocket Flight Guide, there’s only a single 757 flight to Honolulu! Well then, you’ll just have to route through that city. Identify the city from which that 757 departs for Honolulu as well as the airline operating that flight.
Living in NJ, and loving the 757 experience, I would have flown America West to get to this city, however, I don't like the heat, so I hope my connection to American Trans Air is short in Phoenix.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jrl767: 48. Most days of the week, Iberia’s one stop flights between Mexico City and Madrid stopped in Montreal. One day a week however, the service utilized a different stop. Identify that stop and the aircraft utilized.

I know IB ran a 747 on MEX-YUL-MAD (I could see the contrails from campus in Ithaca NY) ... maybe the once-weekly stop was in San Juan (SJU)

That's what I would've thought as well until I was investigating this question and the schedule indicated differently. As such, we're still looking for a different intermediate stop. Please guess again!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per JoeDTW: 30. You are attending a seminar at Princeton University when you receive a message requesting you return to the company headquarters in Cambridge as soon as possible. Although you took the train down from Boston, “ASAP” will mean flying back and that will mean a frustrating drive through traffic on I-95 to Philadelphia. Not so, says a local colleague. In fact, there’s a nearby airport with two almost daily (X2) nonstop flights to Boston, one of which departs at 2:00pm. Well dang! That means you could be back in Boston by 3:00pm this afternoon. Book it Danno! Identify the departure airport, the airline operating the flights to Boston and the type of equipment used.

Eastwind 737, from Trenton.

Correct! Eastwind operated twice daily between Boston and Greensboro with an intermediate stop in Trenton. Here're the northbound schedules out of Trenton:

Eastwind W9 2 TTN 755a – 855a BOS 73S X2
Eastwind W9 4 TTN 200p – 300p BOS 73S X2

Per JoeDTW: 46. The 1970s provided some wonderful opportunities for multistop air tours across America. Northwest’s 9 stop marathon from Miami to Portland has been discussed previously. To that let’s now explore a seven hour and eighteen minute odyssey between Kansas City and Los Angeles. Seven stops were made enroute and a couple of snacks were served. Identify the airline, the equipment and each of the enroute stops in order.

I'll guess a Proud Bird 727 with a Golden Tail, on a MCI-TUL-OKC-DAL-IAH-SAT-ELP-TUS-PHX-LAX route.

You've got the correct airline, Joe, as well as the first two stops and one of the others down line correctly identified. So - we're off to a good start here but still looking for the aircraft type and some clarification of what's happening beyond OKC.

Per JoeDTW: 49. Only one airline offers a single thrice weekly direct flight between Georgetown, Guyana and Miami. Three stops are made enroute. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the aircraft used.

BWIA 707, via Trinidad, Barbados, and Antigua.

I'm with you, man, but my schedule sez differently. We're looking for a different airline, equipment and routing on this one. Please - guess again!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per teddybear99: 32. You really like 757s. I mean, you really, really like them. You’d rather fly upon a 757 than any other airplane - especially on a good long flight to Honolulu where you’re vacationing next month. Imagine then your surprise to discover that per your 1995 Pocket Flight Guide, there’s only a single 757 flight to Honolulu! Well then, you’ll just have to route through that city. Identify the city from which that 757 departs for Honolulu as well as the airline operating that flight.

Living in NJ, and loving the 757 experience, I would have flown America West to get to this city, however, I don't like the heat, so I hope my connection to American Trans Air is short in Phoenix.

Great answer there, tb99, but alas, Phoenix is not the city we're looking for in this instance. However, American Trans Air is indeed the airline we're looking for. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we eagerly anticipate your next response to this!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're off to a great start on this batch of questions. Here's the update:

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1995 POCKET FLIGHT GUIDE

21. After a long weekend judging crab cakes at the annual Chesapeake Bay Food & Grog Festival, it’s time to relocate across the country to Los Angeles where your next challenge will be teaching a seminar in gourmet tamale creation at a senior living community center in West Covina. US Air offers three nonstop flights on the BWI-LAX market most days, but the best timed of the three – a 4:45pm departure – doesn’t operate on Sunday. Dagnabbit! A quick check of your trusty Pocket Flight Guide however reveals a pleasant surprise in the form of a once weekly Sunday only flight departing Baltimore at 5:15pm, arriving LAX at 7:30pm. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the aircraft operating this flight.

23. It used to be that when you wanted to get from your home in Pomona, CA to your time share in Kihei, Maui you had to drive all the way into LAX, hop a flight to Honolulu and then connect to an island hopper over to OGG. Not anymore! There’s a new nonstop service from nearby Ontario Airport straight to Kahului! Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

24. Oceanside, CA is a beautiful place to live, but when it comes to flying back to Indianapolis to see the in-laws each year, it sure is a royal pain to have to drive up to LAX where the most convenient flights and lowest prices are generally found. Times have changed however, and this time for the better as there is a new one stop direct flight operating out of nearby Lindbergh Field in San Diego. Although you’ve never heard of the airline operating this flight, the price is quite affordable so you book a pair of seats for yourself and the missus. Identify the airline, the equipment and the single enroute stop.

25. Once upon a time Evansville, Indiana enjoyed mainline jet service from a variety of airlines. These days however, the only jets in town (all three of them) are operated by a single airline that offers nonstop flights to just two destinations. At least you can still book a First Class seat out of town… Identify the airline, the single jet type operated and the two cities served.

27. This question may be upon to discussion and/or debate as needed. To wit – as of 1995, what is the longest scheduled nonstop MD80 flight in North America? For purposes of clarification, North America is defined as all of the area covered in a North American OAG.

28. Your job has you commuting twice a month from Kansas City to Atlanta and back. Delta has always been your airline of choice but over the past year or so two new airlines have arrived to provide additional nonstop options. Curious about their service compared to that of Delta, you’ve decided to give them a try – even if it means you won’t accrue any meaningful mileage. You’ll fly one of the new airlines down to Atlanta and the other on the way back. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment each operates on its flights.

29. Identify the only foreign built jetliner flying into Newburgh, New York. Two airlines operate this aircraft type into SWF, so you’ll need to identify both of them as well. Sorry.

32. You really like 757s. I mean, you really, really like them. You’d rather fly upon a 757 than any other airplane - especially on a good long flight to Honolulu where you’re vacationing next month. Imagine then your surprise to discover that per your 1995 Pocket Flight Guide, there’s only a single 757 flight to Honolulu! Well then, you’ll just have to route through that city. Identify the city from which that 757 departs for Honolulu as well as the airline operating that flight.
HINT: The airline we're looking for is American Trans Air

33. You’ve just finished a week studying the potential for future volcanic activity at La Soufriere volcano on the island of St. Lucia. Now it’s time to return home and take the kids on that long promised trip to Disney World and in particular a ride through the famous Space Mountain. Your wife will fly in with the kids on a nonstop flight from Albany, NY while you’ll utilize the services of a new airline operating nonstop from St. Lucia to Orlando. The well rounded quizee will correctly identify both of the airlines involved here and the respective equipment that each operates into Orlando. Partial answers will be summarily ignored.

34. Tired of shelling out the big bucks to Delta and American for your biannual trips between Dallas and Las Vegas, you take the advice of your neighbor Gertrude Kornblatt who recently returned from a trip to Vegas and raved about seeing Englebert Humperdink for the first time, not to mention the great low fare she paid to get there and back aboard two airlines that you’ve never heard of. On Gertie’s advice, you book a flight out on one airline and back on the other. One of the airlines operates just two days per week, one of which works well for your departure on Thursday morning. There’s even a snack served enroute. For the return flight, on Sunday, you’ll have a choice of two departures as the third flight doesn’t operate on Sunday. Identify the two airlines involved as well as the aircraft that each operates.

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1991 OAG

36. Per the relevant schedule in 1991, what is the shortest domestic U.S. route operated by multiple widebodied aircraft?

37. Durango, Colorado and Durango, Mexico are each served by a single airline operating a single jet type from each airport to two different destinations. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two destinations served from each airport.

38. Only one city in Idaho is served by the McDonnell-Douglas MD80. Identify the city, the route served and the airline operating the flight.
A N S W E R E D

39. During the winter and early spring, the ramp at Yampa Valley Regional Airport serving Steamboat Springs can be quite a busy place, especially on the weekends. Four different airlines provide jet service to HDN from airports on either coast and many points in between. Identify the airline and the aircraft that operates a daily nonstop flight from Steamboat Springs to Los Angeles every evening.

41. Only one airline offers jet service from Ft. Lauderdale to BOTH Freeport and Nassau. Identify the airline and the equipment used.

42. It’s been a long week of stressful work in California’s Silicon Valley so when you get an invite from an old college buddy to come join him for a ranch warming party in the Bitterroot Valley outside of Missoula, Montana, you call your wife and ask her to see what she can find between San Jose and Missoula on Friday afternoon. You fully expect you’re going to have to make a connection somewhere so you couldn’t be happier when the missus calls back saying she’s booked you both a pair of First Class seats on a two-stop flight from San Jose direct to Missoula. What a woman! Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

45. Your job has you delivering yachts from your company’s maintenance and repair facility in San Juan, Puerto Rico to various islands throughout the Lesser Antilles chain in the Caribbean. Flying home usually means a seat aboard an American Airlines jet which serves many of these islands from its base in San Juan. However, your favorite jobs are the ones that take you to either Antigua or St. Maarten because if you work it right, you can time your delivery to catch one of this airlines’ fifth freedom widebodies back to San Juan. Identify the airline we’re talking about here.
A N S W E R E D

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1973 OAG

46. The 1970s provided some wonderful opportunities for multistep air tours across America. Northwest’s 9 stop marathon from Miami to Portland has been discussed previously. To that let’s now explore a seven hour and eighteen minute odyssey between Kansas City and Los Angeles. Seven stops were made enroute and a couple of snacks were served. Identify the airline, the equipment and each of the enroute stops in order.
A N S W E R E D

47. You’ve just finished a wonderful three day weekend with the family at Florida’s Disney World resort. Christmas break is two weeks however, so you’ve made plans to spend an additional four days in the Bahamas. You’re amazed to find that from the local airport there’s a two stop flight direct to Freeport. Identify the departure airport, the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft utilized.

48. Most days of the week, Iberia’s one stop flights between Mexico City and Madrid stopped in Montreal. One day a week however, the service utilized a different stop. Identify that stop and the aircraft utilized.
A N S W E R E D

49. Only one airline offers a single thrice weekly direct flight between Georgetown, Guyana and Miami. Three stops are made enroute. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the aircraft used.

50. Identify each of the foreign built jetliners that fly into Port of Spain, Trinidad. Of course, the correct answer will also include the airline that operates each jet. And finally, because you are all such a smart bunch of participants, the correct answer will require you to submit ALL of the relevant aircraft. Picking them off one at a time will not be accepted. Go to it, guys!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 20, 2017 at 10:36 am
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
28. Your job has you commuting twice a month from Kansas City to Atlanta and back. Delta has always been your airline of choice but over the past year or so two new airlines have arrived to provide additional nonstop options. Curious about their service compared to that of Delta, you’ve decided to give them a try – even if it means you won’t accrue any meaningful mileage. You’ll fly one of the new airlines down to Atlanta and the other on the way back. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment each operates on its flights.
28- one has to be Vanguard which was headquartered at MCI, and I believe the majority of their fleet was the 737-200 ... let’s say Western Pacific for the other, with a 737-300

48- MEX-XXX-MAD, not HAV or SJU: Iberia’s other TATL services were on DC-10s; I’ll posit Santo Domingo (SDQ) for the intermediate stop (and I have three other candidates if this guess proves wrong)
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jrl767: 28. Your job has you commuting twice a month from Kansas City to Atlanta and back. Delta has always been your airline of choice but over the past year or so two new airlines have arrived to provide additional nonstop options. Curious about their service compared to that of Delta, you’ve decided to give them a try – even if it means you won’t accrue any meaningful mileage. You’ll fly one of the new airlines down to Atlanta and the other on the way back. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment each operates on its flights.

One has to be Vanguard which was headquartered at MCI, and I believe the majority of their fleet was the 737-200 ... let’s say Western Pacific for the other, with a 737-300

I logged my first flight aboard Vanguard in February of 1996. $19.00 o/w from DEN to SLC. Vanguard was in operation during the period covered by the OAG I reference for this question, but it was not yet flying between MCI and ATL. Nor was Western Pacific with its colorful 737s. Nope - we're looking for two different airlines here. Please deposit another quarter and guess again!

Per jrl767: 48. Most days of the week, Iberia’s one stop flights between Mexico City and Madrid stopped in Montreal. One day a week however, the service utilized a different stop. Identify that stop and the aircraft utilized.

MEX-XXX-MAD, not HAV or SJU: Iberia’s other TATL services were on DC-10s; I’ll posit Santo Domingo (SDQ) for the intermediate stop (and I have three other candidates if this guess proves wrong)

There won't be any need for additional guesses, J - Santo Domingo (SDQ) es correcto! Also, my apologies to YVRcockroach who I neglected to credit with having correctly identified the aircraft as a standard DC-8, listed in the OAG as a D8F..
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1991 OAG

36. Per the relevant schedule in 1991, what is the shortest domestic U.S. route operated by multiple widebodied aircraft?

38. Only one city in Idaho is served by the McDonnell-Douglas MD80. Identify the city, the route served and the airline operating the flight.

42. It’s been a long week of stressful work in California’s Silicon Valley so when you get an invite from an old college buddy to come join him for a ranch warming party in the Bitterroot Valley outside of Missoula, Montana, you call your wife and ask her to see what she can find between San Jose and Missoula on Friday afternoon. You fully expect you’re going to have to make a connection somewhere so you couldn’t be happier when the missus calls back saying she’s booked you both a pair of First Class seats on a two-stop flight from San Jose direct to Missoula. What a woman! Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.
HINT: It's not Delta although the flight does route through BZN
36. Let's try Honolulu (HNL) - Kahului, Maui (OGG). Airlines might have been Delta with the L-1011 and Northwest with the DC-10.

38. I believe the destination was Idaho Falls (IDA) served from Salt Lake City (SLC) by American. The flight probably originated at either DFW or ORD. BTW, I think AA was also operating MD-80 service into Jackson Hole (JAC) from SLC at this time.

42. This sounds like Continental operating a B727-200. Routing may have been SJC-DEN-BZN-MSO.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the OTAQ&D!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

PER jlemon

Let's try Honolulu (HNL) - Kahului, Maui (OGG). Airlines might have been Delta with the L-1011 and Northwest with the DC-10.

Per webflyer's mileage calculator, HNL-OGG checks out at 100 miles. The route we're looking for here is even shorter. E koho hou!

I believe the destination was Idaho Falls (IDA) served from Salt Lake City (SLC) by American. The flight probably originated at either DFW or ORD. BTW, I think AA was also operating MD-80 service into Jackson Hole (JAC) from SLC at this time.

I'm too lazy to go dig out the '91 OAG right now (It's warm here by my heater. It's -19F outside) so I'll take your word on the JAC flights. As for IDA, you are correct, Pardner! Here's the inbound sked:

AA 1267 Salt Lake City (SLC) 620p – 711p Idaho Falls (IDA) M80 Daily

This sounds like Continental operating a B727-200. Routing may have been SJC-DEN-BZN-MSO.

With Frontier no longer flying and United not serving BZN, there aren't really any other options, are there? Continental operating a 727-200 it is! ^ Here's the schedule:

Continental CO 1628 San Jose (SJC) 330p-654p Denver (DEN) 735p-919p Bozeman (BZN) 930p-1020p Missoula (MSO) 727-200 Daily
Snack is offered between SJC-DEN and DEN-BZN

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the OTAQ&D!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 18, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

45. Your job has you delivering yachts from your company’s maintenance and repair facility in San Juan, Puerto Rico to various islands throughout the Lesser Antilles chain in the Caribbean. Flying home usually means a seat aboard an American Airlines jet which serves many of these islands from its base in San Juan. However, your favorite jobs are the ones that take you to either Antigua or St. Maarten because if you work it right, you can time your delivery to catch one of this airlines’ fifth freedom widebodies back to San Juan. Identify the airline we’re talking about here.

46. The 1970s provided some wonderful opportunities for multistep air tours across America. Northwest’s 9 stop marathon from Miami to Portland has been discussed previously. To that let’s now explore a seven hour and eighteen minute odyssey between Kansas City and Los Angeles. Seven stops were made enroute and a couple of snacks were served. Identify the airline, the equipment and each of the enroute stops in order.
HINT: So far, we know it's Continental starting off MCI-TUL-OKC...
45. Connecting through San Juan to and from other Caribbean destinations back in the day, I invariably noticed Lufthansa wide body aircraft at SJU operating scheduled flights. And at one point, LH was operating A340 aircraft into San Juan. However, in 1991 I believe the aircraft type operated by Lufthansa on these fifth freedom services from ANU and SXM was the DC-10. BTW, following a sailing trip a couple of years ago I witnessed what appeared to be a high performance takeoff conducted by a BA B777-200 from Antigua. The aircraft really rocketed out of there using just over half the runway before rotating. Very impressive!

46. I fondly remember my milk run flights on board Continental between Austin and Los Angeles back when I was attending the University of Texas at Austin and my parents had moved back to southern California from Houston. Dad had finished his work on development of the Space Shuttle at JSC and had taken a position at JPL in Pasadena (my home town) in order to develop the navigation systems on the Voyager I and II spacecraft (he subsequently was awarded the space agency's highest commendation, the NASA Exceptional Service Medal, for his work on the Voyagers and I have this plaque hanging in my office at home). Mom just wanted to get the heck out of Houston and move back to Pasadena.

But I wander from my theme. Back to CO. The milk run flights I experienced made a number of stops with example routings being MIA-IAH-AUS-MAF-ELP-PHX-LAX and IAH-AUS-MAF-ELP-TUS-PHX-LAX. Equipment was always a B727-200 and I was always back in coach. However, the routing of the flight in question here was a bit different. We know that TUL and OKC were the first two stops following the service originating at MCI. It also appears the equipment was not a 727 (or 72S) judging by the previous response above. So let's go with a DC-9-10 operating a routing of Kansas City (MCI) - Tulsa (TUL) - Oklahoma City (OKC) - Lawton (LAW) - Wichita Falls (SPS) - Lubbock (LBB) - El Paso (ELP) - Phoenix (PHX) (or was it Tucson (TUS)?) - Los Angeles (LAX).

Meantime, a very cool, crisp and clear morning here in southern Louisiana and it looks like we may experience out first frost of the season tomorrow morning.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 20, 2017 at 8:08 am Reason: SPS correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.