Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA
Hello from wifi on a train currently speeding northwards through the Lake District of England to about 1,000 feet elevation (pretty much the maximum for over here) on a glorious sunny late evening, gin & tonic in hand (for train buffs, we are in a Pendolino on the last stretch from Tebay up to Shap).
Originally Posted by jrl767
having discovered that no operators actually configured to the maximum certified number of seats (315), I'll just pull an order-of-magnitude number out of thin air: how about 287?
Court Line had way more than that, I believe they had 400 seats. Court had certain aspects of similarity with PSA, both had the integral airstairs, which I think nobody else had, allowing airport handling without major ground support equipment.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
6. August 1, 1974 - The same day that the UN created the Green Line in Cyprus.
Here's a bonus question. What jet airliner was stranded by this event, and 43 years on is still there ?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:54 pm

My last batch of questions was answered quickly. Perhaps these will be more challenging, but then again maybe not given the group of people who read and post on this thread.

1. What 747 variant was used in the making of the 1997 film, Air Force One? From what airline was it leased?

2. No POTUS has ever flown in an aircraft designated Coast Guard One. Which VPOTUS flew on an aircraft designated Coast Guard Two? What was the circumstance?

3. What country operated a Boeing 720 as its official head-of-state VIP transport?

4. El Al is well known as a Boeing customer. What is the only non-US made aircraft to have been in its fleet? ANSWERED.

5. What are the three aircraft types to have served in the fleet of Palestinian Airlines? Bonus: Where is this airline based?

6. Ithaca Thompkins County Regional Airport was originally built by Cornell University. What airline started passenger service there shortly after the airport’s opening? What type of aircraft did it first use? Trace the carriers decadency into one of today's major airlines. ANSWERED.

7. What is the largest aircraft type to have visited Meigs’ field? What was the airline? While the largest aircraft with scheduled service was the HS 748, what is the largest aircraft to have visited CGX? Hint: It was considerably larger and did not arrive with passengers aboard. ANSWERED.

8. At the end of 1978, what were the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western most cities served by Piedmont Airlines?
ANSWERED

9. It is 1946. The war is over, but there are US servicemen (and some women too) to be returned home. The USG chartered what Asian carrier to provide flights back home for some of them making it the first Asian airline to cross the pacific? What type of aircraft was used? What was the routing?

10. In 2015, Five Jordanian Air Force F-16s flew from Jordan to Lajes. What country's air force provided their mid-air refueling?

11. What was the routing of Inter Island Airway’s first scheduled flight? What aircraft type was used?

12. What is the first airline to carry living vegetable plants? Bonus: what plant?

13. It is the 1960s. On what airline was the following inflight announcement made?

A life vest neat is beneath each seat.
They're stored so we won't lose ‘em.
Now fix your eyes on the stewardies.
They'll show you how to use ‘em.

14. What was the first aircraft flown by Aeroflot? ANSWERED.

15. In order, what were the first “western” built aircraft types to be purchased by C.A.A.C. for its fleet? ANSWERED.

16. Its 1961. Your factory in Prague has detailed you to a project in Havana. They have arranged a direct flight for you. What is the carrier, aircraft type, and routing? ANSWERED.

17. After a year of service with your comrades, you are sent back home. You are provided with a ticket on a direct flight operated by a different carrier. Identify the carrier, aircraft type, and routing.

Bonus: What two military forces operated the type of stranded jet which WHBM inquired about in post 11132? (I am not revealing the type to make it even more challenging.)

Last edited by Indelaware; Jul 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm Reason: answers noted
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
6. Ithaca Tompkins County Regional Airport was originally built by Cornell University. What airline started passenger service there shortly after the airport’s opening? What type of aircraft did it first use? Trace the carriers decadency into one of today's major airlines.
I flew into the airport in July 1963 on Mohawk from EWR a few days after the Flight 121 crash in Rochester, which had me a bit worried. I don't remember the equipment for that flight. Mohawk was absorbed by Allegheny and thus ultimately into AA. I will leave the rest of the answer in case someone doesn't need Wikipedia to find it
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
7. What is the largest aircraft type to have visited Meigs’ field? What was the airline?
7- I flew out of CGX in the spring of 1974 on an Air Illinois Hawker Siddeley HS.748; I'm reasonably certain that, at maybe 48 seats, this was the largest airliner in scheduled service there
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
8. At the end of 1978, what were the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western most cities served by Piedmont Airlines?
8-
Northernmost and also Easternmost - Boston
Southernmost - Miami
Westernmost - Denver
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I flew into the airport in July 1963 on Mohawk from EWR a few days after the Flight 121 crash in Rochester, which had me a bit worried. I don't remember the equipment for that flight. Mohawk was absorbed by Allegheny and thus ultimately into AA. I will leave the rest of the answer in case someone doesn't need Wikipedia to find it
Close enough with regards to the carrier. The 1st carrier was Robinson Airlines which changed its name (under same ownership and charter) to Mohawk Airlines. Your visit to ITH, however, was more than a decade after the opening of the airport. Anyone have any ideas as to the first aircraft type to fly passenger service ex-ITH?

7- I flew out of CGX in the spring of 1974 on an Air Illinois Hawker Siddeley HS.748; I'm reasonably certain that, at maybe 48 seats, this was the largest airliner in scheduled service there
I think you are correct with regards to the largest airliner with scheduled service there. However, I am looking for the largest airliner to have visited CGX. It was not a passenger carrying flight but was a passenger aircraft and it was considerably larger than the HS748.

8-
Northernmost and also Easternmost - Boston
Southernmost - Miami
Westernmost - Denver
Correct on all counts! Here is a bonus question: What was its Northern-, Southern-, Eastern-, and Western-most points a decade later, just prior to its acquisition by US Air Group? Partially answered. Still waiting on the Northern most airport. Hint: It was one of two airports served by PI which were more northerly than YUL.

Last edited by Indelaware; Jul 4, 2017 at 3:05 pm Reason: Added bonus question
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA
14. What was the first aircraft flown by Aeroflot?
Bit difficult as Aeroflot was started in the early 1930s as a merger of previous operators with a range of types. Principal constituent was Dobrolet, which had been the Russian main carrier, whereas Aeroflot was for all of the Soviet Union. Lets go for a Dormier Merkur.

15. In order, what were the first “western” built aircraft types to be purchased by C.A.A.C. for its fleet?
Vickers Viscount. The last ones built; they were actually built, in the same factory at Hurn, after the first BAC One-Elevens.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have any ideas as to the first aircraft type to fly passenger service ex-ITH?
as I recall, Robinson began operations around 1945, flying a couple of Fairchild 24s, and graduated to Beech 18s and DC-3s a few years later

the original Ithaca airport was at the foot of Cayuga Lake on the west side of town ... fog and low ceilings, and the associated flight disruptions, were a main reason for selecting a location on the East Hill plateau about five miles northeast for the new Tompkins County Airport; I'd guess that Mohawk's first services from there used the DC-3, although it might have seen an occasional Convair 240
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

4. El Al is well known as a Boeing customer. What is the only non-US made aircraft to have been in its fleet?

7. What is the largest aircraft type to have visited Meigs’ field? What was the airline? While the largest aircraft with scheduled service was the HS 748, what is the largest aircraft to have visited CGX? Hint: It was considerably larger and did not arrive with passengers aboard.
4. Bristol Britannia

7. United B727-100. I believe it was flown into Meigs Field in order to be placed on display in a museum.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
WHBM's comments above concerning Pan Am got me thinking about another airline's connecting service where the first leg was a domestic route in the U.S.; however, this air carrier was not permitted to carry local passenger traffic on this sector but operated a daily flight anyway in order to connect traffic to their international service. The year was 1950 and the domestic flight in question departed from Houston Hobby Airport. Upon arrival at another U.S. domestic airport, passengers then connected to a flight operated by the same airline that served three different international destinations. The flight from Houston departed daily at 5:30 pm and the connecting international flight arrived at its final international destination the next morning at 7:00 am.

So with all this in mind, please answer the following:

A. Name the airline that operated both of these flights.

B. Identify the propeller aircraft type operated on the initial flight from Houston.

C. Name the U.S. domestic airport where the connection was made to the international flight.

D. Identify the three international destinations served by the connecting flight.

E. Name the different and larger propeller aircraft type used to operate the international flight.

And for bonus points....

F. Provide the marketing name the airline used for this international service.
And Happy Fourth of July to one and all! Yes, I know....this is very much a U.S. holiday but we wish all of our OTAQ&D friends around the world a Very Good Day as well!

Absolutely beautiful weather here this morning in south Louisiana: deep blue skies and brilliant sunshine with lots of white, puffy cumulus clouds and not a trace of haze with a very refreshing breeze taking an edge off the heat. Plus, here and there, a brief tropical shower with no lightning but a beautiful rainbow instead. And aloft? The typical eastbound traffic from IAH and other points to the west......

Meantime, still looking for answers to the above as well as three last quiz items concerning PSA up thread.......

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 4, 2017 at 11:11 am
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good morning, gang!

What a great way to celebrate a temporary return to internet access than with a batch of well crafted questions here on the OTAQ&D. Great questions! I've had 60 comparatively simplistic questions ready to go for some time now but have refrained from posting them as our internet connection down in Denali is all but nonexistent. We are told the problem will be addressed later this month...

16. Its 1961. Your factory in Prague has detailed you to a project in Havana. They have arranged a direct flight for you. What is the carrier, aircraft type, and routing?

I'm pretty sure CSA Czechoslovakian Airlines didn't start services to Havana until later in the 1960s. As such, let's go with Cubana operating a Bristol Britannia routing Havana - Bermuda - Azores - Prague.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
Bit difficult as Aeroflot was started in the early 1930s as a merger of previous operators with a range of types. Principal constituent was Dobrolet, which had been the Russian main carrier, whereas Aeroflot was for all of the Soviet Union. Lets go for a Dormier Merkur.

Vickers Viscount. The last ones built; they were actually built, in the same factory at Hurn, after the first BAC One-Elevens.
WHBM, you have given great answers to my imperfectly worded questions. I had meant to ask about Aeroflot’s first jet aircraft. Given Aeroflot’s history, the Dormier Merkur likely is the best answer for its first aircraft. So, as a bonus, what was its first jet aircraft?

Your answered correctly again with the Viscount as C.A.A.C.’s first “western” built aircraft. As a bonus, care to name, in order, the next three western built aircraft to join its fleet?

as I recall, Robinson began operations around 1945, flying a couple of Fairchild 24s, and graduated to Beech 18s and DC-3s a few years later

the original Ithaca airport was at the foot of Cayuga Lake on the west side of town ... fog and low ceilings, and the associated flight disruptions, were a main reason for selecting a location on the East Hill plateau about five miles northeast for the new Tompkins County Airport; I'd guess that Mohawk's first services from there used the DC-3, although it might have seen an occasional Convair 240
Correct! The Fairchild F-24 was Robinson’s first aircraft and the DC-3 was the first aircraft it used to fly passenger service from the new airport. I don’t believe, however, that the Mohawk name was taken up until after they had established that service.

I spent a few year in Ithaca, but only after the old Ithaca Municipal Airport closed. The fog on the west side of town was often quite thick; the new airport location makes much more sense.

4. Bristol Britannia

7. United B727-100. I believe it was flown into Meigs Field in order to be placed on display in a museum.
Correct on both. Here is a video of the 727 landing at CGX:

It is now on display at the nearby Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, “flying” next to a Ju 87. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum...22Stuka%22.jpg

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
16. Its 1961. Your factory in Prague has detailed you to a project in Havana. They have arranged a direct flight for you. What is the carrier, aircraft type, and routing?

I'm pretty sure CSA Czechoslovakian Airlines didn't start services to Havana until later in the 1960s. As such, let's go with Cubana operating a Bristol Britannia routing Havana - Bermuda - Azores - Prague.
Correct. However, since you would be flying from Prague, the routing is reverse, Prague - Azores - Bermuda - Havana.

Last edited by Indelaware; Jul 4, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is a bonus question: What was its Northern-, Southern-, Eastern-, and Western-most points a decade later, just prior to its acquisition by US Air Group?
Piedmont destinations just before the merger was completely finalized with USAir:

Eastern-most:
London

Southern-most: Key West - I flew into EYW on a PI F28 Fellowship back in the day

Northern-most
: Montreal

Western-most:
well, let's see here...it was either SEA or SFO (as I'm not quite sure which airport is farther west than the other).....
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:59 pm

Piedmont destinations just before the merger was completely finalized with USAir:

Eastern-most:
London

Southern-most: Key West - I flew into EYW on a PI F28 Fellowship back in the day

Northern-most
: Montreal

Western-most:
well, let's see here...it was either SEA or SFO (as I'm not quite sure which airport is farther west than the other).....
Congrats, jlemon, on the Eastern-most and Southern-most destinations. SFO is just slightly west of SEA, but we will give you full credit for your answer as to the Western-most destination. Your answer as to PI's northern most destination, however, is incorrect. PI flew to two airports further north than YUL.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
9. It is 1946. The war is over, but there are US servicemen (and some women too) to be returned home. The USG chartered what Asian carrier to provide flights back home for some of them making it the first Asian airline to cross the pacific? What type of aircraft was used? What was the routing?

Well I was unaware of the postwar scenario as you've presented it, but I've always thought that Philippine Airlines was the first Asian airline to operate trans-Pacific flights to the US, using a DC-4. I believe the routing was Manila - Wake Island - Honolulu - San Francisco.

10. In 2015, Five Jordanian Air Force F-16s flew from Jordan to Lajes. What country's air force provided their mid-air refueling?

I can't speak for others here but as a participant in the Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion, I wouldn't have a clue about any air force related issues or aircraft. Perhaps the midair refueling was done by a 707 converted to a tanker?

Regardless, I think I'd best stick to airline related questions.

Come to think of it - there are probably a good number of FTers with past air force experience or at least a general interest in air force issues. Have you considered starting a thread posing air force related questions? You might find quite a bit of interest - even more than we find here at this airline oriented quiz and discussion thread.

That said - when it comes to flying, Flyertalk came into being as a site to discuss airline travel so it's hard to say whether the powers that be would be receptive to such deviation. Still, you'll never know until you try. Perhaps OMNI.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 4, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.