Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL, AA
33. Identify the only airline NOT from Africa or the Middle East that still flew Boeing 707s on scheduled flights into London Heathrow

Wild guess here, this airline flies their birds until the wings fall off : Bangladesh Biman
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL, AA
17. The history of air travel through California’s scenic Lake Tahoe airport has seen a variety of airlines and aircraft operating everything from Viscounts to 727s. In 1987 only one airline operates anything larger than a 20 seater through TVL. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates.

1987 was a merger year..Air Cal/American operating 733's from SFO and SJC..
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The following quiz item has a time line of the spring of 1980....

10. How exciting! You’ve just been invited by your brother to join him and his family at the Jai Alai Tournament of Champions down in Miami. From your home in Daytona Beach, Miami is just a 4 hour drive down I-95. Then again, thanks to a new deregulation inspired fare war, there’s a sale on. Your first choice of airlines, Eastern, is sold out. However, the other carrier serving Miami from DAB is offering a two-stop flight for $3.00 less than Eastern. Book it Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
I believe this could be Air Florida flying a 737-100 with stops in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. This was the main reason Air Florida existed before starting out of state/int'l flying after being acquired by Ed Acker in the late 70's.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Icecat
33. Identify the only airline NOT from Africa or the Middle East that still flew Boeing 707s on scheduled flights into London Heathrow
I'll go for an alternative of Cyprus Airways, with their ex-American Airlines 707-123Bs.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Icecat

Wild guess here, this airline flies their birds until the wings fall off : Bangladesh Biman

Not a bad guess, wild or otherwise. Unfortunately however, it's a bit wide of the mark. We're looking fr an airline other than Bangladesh Biman. Please guess again!

17. The history of air travel through California’s scenic Lake Tahoe airport has seen a variety of airlines and aircraft operating everything from Viscounts to 727s. In 1987 only one airline operates anything larger than a 20 seater through TVL. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates.

1987 was a merger year..Air Cal/American operating 733's from SFO and SJC...

Yep, Air Cal's the one we're looking for. ^
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
10. How exciting! You’ve just been invited by your brother to join him and his family at the Jai Alai Tournament of Champions down in Miami. From your home in Daytona Beach, Miami is just a 4 hour drive down I-95. Then again, thanks to a new deregulation inspired fare war, there’s a sale on. Your first choice of airlines, Eastern, is sold out. However, the other carrier serving Miami from DAB is offering a two-stop flight for $3.00 less than Eastern. Book it Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

I believe this could be Air Florida flying a 737-100 with stops in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. This was the main reason Air Florida existed before starting out of state/int'l flying after being acquired by Ed Acker in the late 70's.

It was indeed Air Florida. However, we're looking for a different aircraft flying along a different routing...
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM

I'll go for an alternative of Cyprus Airways, with their ex-American Airlines 707-123Bs.

It is not Cyprus Aiways. It is however an airline you mentioned in reference to an earlier question regarding 707s...
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:49 pm

33. Identify the only airline NOT from Africa or the Middle East that still flew Boeing 707s on scheduled flights into London Heathrow [in 1986]

Not a bad guess, wild or otherwise. Unfortunately however, it's a bit wide of the mark. We're looking fr an airline other than Bangladesh Biman
I suppose the stories of Biman's operations into Heathrow have spread far and wide. By 1986 they had changed over to their trio of ex-Singapore Airlines DC-10-30s for their London flights. These were regarded with considerable disdain by all at Heathrow, especially the staff at Terminal 3 who had to deal with them. Eventually Heathrow proposed fining them for the way they consistently turned up 12 or so hours late and caused all sorts of disruption with (even then) the tight and oversubscribed terminal arrangements, and then spent further extra hours doing unauthorised maintenance work at the gate. The extra charge for being grossly late did not specifically say Biman, but everyone knew who it was aimed at. The Bangladesh government then made a considerable diplomatic incident out of the whole thing, rich country picking on poor country, etc

It was exacerbated by some tradition of Bangladesh families living in the UK of the whole extended family going over to Heathrow Arrivals, and effectively camping out there until their incoming relative finally turned up, with at times the arrivals waiting area being quite overwhelmed, children holding old photographs being sent on patrol looking for their lost auntie, groups setting up portable gas cooking apparatus in the car park, inability to speak English with the Heathrow security staff (who brought in Bengali-speaking staff to try and assist, but who unfortunately commonly took the side of their linguistic fellows), and so on. Part of the "fining" was an attempt by Heathrow to palm Biman off onto Gatwick, then still under the same ownership, where this didn't apply, and this led to further ructions within the various layers of management at the old British Airports Authority, as a one-time university colleague who had become a BAA manager relayed to me with great amusement.
Seat 2A and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
10- QH with an Electra perhaps, stopping at Tampa (TPA) and West Palm Beach (PBI)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
QH with an Electra perhaps, stopping at Tampa (TPA) and West Palm Beach (PBI)

You're getting closer, J - Tampa is one of the stops (the 2nd), but the aircraft is not the venerable Electra. Please, finish this one off!
And with that, I'm off to Tel Aviv aboard my 202nd airline flown - Arkia - aboard an A321LR-Neo of which Arkia was the launch customer. More tonight if I don't get hung up in Israeli customs

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 26, 2019 at 5:52 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Moving right along:

10. Let's see if I can tap this one in....

Air Florida operating a DC9-10 with a routing of Daytona Beach (DAB) - Jacksonville (JAX) - Tampa (TPA) - Miami (MIA)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
21. It’s a great life working as a bartender for the rich and famous in Vail, Colorado. Now that the season is over, it’s time to relocate to Las Vegas and your summer job bartending at the MGM Grand. Thankfully the transition is made easier this year with the addition of a new once weekly 1-stop direct flight between Vail’s Eagle County Regional Airport and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop if you please.
21- opening salvo: America West with a 737-300 via Phoenix
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Moving right along:

15. You never envisioned yourself going to see Kenny Rogers in concert (AC/DC is more your speed) but when your grandparents offer to pay for you and your wife to join them in Branson, Missouri, you all have a surprisingly good time. Now it’s time to fly back home to Los Angeles. The flight out to Springfield from Los Angeles involved a connection and a missed connection, so when you discover that there’s a single daily direct 2-stop flight from SGF back to LAX, you buy a pair of tickets. Identify the airline, equipment and the two enroute stops.
15. This sounds like a route that America West might have attempted. If so, equipment may have been a B737-200. And as for the routing, I'll guess Springfield - Wichita - Phoenix - Los Angeles.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:51 pm

Back in 1986 however, the HAN-SGN route had just a single daily flight. Identify the airline and aircraft operating that flight.

Hang Khong Vietnam Tupolev Tu134

Here's the schedule for the single daily flight

Hang Khong Vietnam VN 211 Hanoi (HAN) 730a-950a Saigon (SGN) TU-134 Daily

Hang Khong Vietnam came late to the Tu134, after Vietnam reunification they first started to get them in 1977, and had 10 by the mid 1980s, all supplied new. At German reunification in 1990 they got another 6 secondhand from the old East German carrier Interflug fleet, just as they changed their name to Vietnam Airlines, but then a few years later they leased a first few A320s from Air France, and the world changed for them. Within a couple of years all the Tupolevs were gone. Mostly confined within Indo-China, one of the few "westernised" places to see them was Bangkok.

There seems to be one Tupolev left at SGN, used for aircraft tug driver training around the airport. This is the same as London Stansted did with a former BA Trident 3 when they were finally retired mid-1980s, it was kept in BA basic colours, minus the names, was kept clean, and got towed around Stansted and would be sat at gates well into the 2000s, an absolute time warp when you looked across the ramp at it.
Seat 2A, jlemon, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Let's see if I can tap this one in....
Air Florida operating a DC9-10 with a routing of Daytona Beach (DAB) - Jacksonville (JAX) - Tampa (TPA) - Miami (MIA)

That's the ticket, JL. here's the sked -

Air Florida QH 679 Daytona Beach (DAB) 225p-300p Jacksonville (JAX) 320p-400p Tampa (TPA) 415p-500p Miami (MIA) DC-9-10 Sat only

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.