Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
26. Over the years a number of airlines have offered direct service between Hawaii and London. Anybody remember BOAC VC10s plying the route via LAX and JFK? Of course you do! Now then, what was the airline du jour providing this service in late 1986? Where did the flight stop and what type of equipment did it use?

Air New Zealand with a 747-200 operating Auckland-Honolulu-Los Angeles-London.

WHBM, You Da Man!! Now that I think of it, I wonder if Air New Zealand was the only airline to serve this route with 747s? Both WA and CO operated DC-10s on the route and I believe BOAC may have ceased serving HNL by the time 747s came on the scene. In any event, here's the schedule:

Air New Zealand TE 002 Honolulu (HNL) 905a-430p Los Angeles (LAX) 630p-200p London (LGW) 747-200 Mon only
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
9- Upgauge the KW jet? wow ... the only larger type I recall them operating was the Airbus A300. As for a single-class D9S operator, I’m completely at a loss to remember if USAir had F cabins on those birds, but hey, nothing ventured ...

It was not an A300 and the competing airline was not USAir. Remember, both airlines operated the same aircraft model and variant on this route. As always, I exhort you to please, guess again!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
USAir B737-300 transcon service: Ah, I was not aware that US was operating nonstop 733 service eastbound only SFO-BWI back then.....but I do seem to recall they were also operating round trip 733 flights nonstop between LAX and TPA at this same time and that US later operated B737-400 service nonstop from LAX to TPA.

MarkAir: I did manage to fly first class on MarkAir just once. The flight was from SEA nonstop to ANC on board a B737-400. I also believe this was before MarkAir expanded their service as a low cost carrier into the lower 48 states. I remember the complimentary Bloody Marys in F were excellent and also think this particular cocktail was a favorite of Neil Bergt who was the man in charge of MarkAir at the time.

BTW, back around 1994, it was possible to fly direct with no change of plane from New York to Kodiak, Alaska on MarkAir. I think the routing was New York Newark - Chicago Midway - Denver - Seattle - Anchorage - Kodiak operated with a B737-400.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A and KT550
32. From your home on Isle of Man, you’ll be travelling down to London on business and then continuing on to the city of Leeds, way up in County Yorkshire, where you’ll spend the weekend with your dear old uncle. Two airlines will be involved, one for the nonstop to London Heathrow and the other for the nonstop up to Leeds. One airline operates propeller equipment only while the other operates both props and jets. You will be flying upon the only aircraft type common to both airlines. So then, identify each airline and the common equipment you’ll be flying upon.

How about...

Manx Airlines (JE) Isle of Man > London Heathrow
British Midland (BD) LHR > Leeds

with both flights on a Vickers Viscount

Excellent recall there, KT! Manx and British Midland operating Viscounts are both correct
Actually the same airline. Manx was, at the time, owned by British Midland, and although they had a Viscount in their own green colours (owned by and leased from BMA), it was regularly substituted by a BMA one at various times. It did a couple of round trips a day to London, and in between did trips to Liverpool, sometimes notably more than were scheduled, which were just advertised locally with reduced fares known as "Farecrackers". I think it became the last Viscount schedule in Europe by the late 1980s, although a few continued for a bit longer on non-scheduled work.

The Air Operators Certificate of Manx Airlines went through many incarnations, they were bought out by BA, and I believe the AOC that British Airways CityFlyer use from London City nowadays (separate to mainline BA) is actually the onetime Manx one, through multiple renamings. The Isle of Man flight now runs from London City and still rolls on, with a Saab 2000 for the last few years. Eastern Airways did operate it under contract, but recently it has been passed to Loganair, still the same aircraft type.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Actually the same airline. Manx was, at the time, owned by British Midland, and although they had a Viscount in their own green colours (owned by and leased from BMA), it was regularly substituted by a BMA one at various times. It did a couple of round trips a day to London, and in between did trips to Liverpool, sometimes notably more than were scheduled, which were just advertised locally with reduced fares known as "Farecrackers". I think it became the last Viscount schedule in Europe by the late 1980s, although a few continued for a bit longer on non-scheduled work.

The Air Operators Certificate of Manx Airlines went through many incarnations, they were bought out by BA, and I believe the AOC that British Airways CityFlyer use from London City nowadays (separate to mainline BA) is actually the onetime Manx one, through multiple renamings. The Isle of Man flight now runs from London City and still rolls on, with a Saab 2000 for the last few years. Eastern Airways did operate it under contract, but recently it has been passed to Loganair, still the same aircraft type.
Curious to know how the shutdown of Flybmi might possibly affect other regional air carriers in the UK.....
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

6. After driving from Anchorage down the Alaska Highway to Eugene, Oregon to deliver your old Ford Bronco to your son who’s a student athlete at the U of O, you watched with pride as his Oregon Ducks beat the Washington Huskies in a last second buzzer beater in NCAA Division 1 Basketball. For your return flight home to Anchorage, you’ve found a great low far with an airline other than Alaska. You’ll fly nonstop from Eugene to the connecting city, and then board a one stop flight to Anchorage. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the routing including the intermediate stop between the connecting city and Anchorage.
Morris Air Service (KN), Boeing 737-300, Eugene-Portland (EUG-PDX) connecting to Portland-Seattle-Anchorage (PDX-SEA-ANC)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

27. These days the Dubai to London route is well served with a multitude of daily nonstop A380s from the likes of Emirates, BA and Qantas. Back in 1986 however, it was a different story. Which airline offered the most nonstop flights per week from Dubai to London?
Not sure so I will be running to several airline ticket counters....first is...

Gulf Air
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Fortunately, the route between New York and Ft. Lauderdale features two airlines that operate their jets in an all-economy configuration. Identify both airlines and the equipment each operates.
9- please forgive my literalist tendencies, but I fail to see that the way this question was posed actually indicated that both airlines operated the same type of jet

a bit of research shows that Carnival actually operated 72S equipment (but I’m still at a loss for Airline #2 — I think the original Spirit may have been in play with D9S though)

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 18, 2019 at 11:15 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

xcepted)
9- Fortunately, the route between New York and Ft. Lauderdale features two airlines that operate their jets in an all-economy configuration. Identify both airlines and the equipment each operates.
Please forgive my literalist tendencies, but I fail to see that the way this question was posed actually indicated that both airlines operated the same type of jet

And no higher power ever indicated or suggested it was required to. You really ought to dump those literalist tendencies as they'll bring you nothing but unnecessary angst in situations such as these. The bottom line is you guys are way too smart for me to be leaving you clues such as both airlines operating the same aircraft type - at least not from the get go. I'll dole those out as I see fit depending upon how the answers go. So no, I'm not going to make it any easier for you - at least not initially. Suck it up and tell me the name of that second airline (which did operate 727-200s) but did not do so for very long. And here's another clue for you (don't tell me I never gave you nothin'!) - the other airline? Its name had three syllables. Awright then - get after it! G'wan, now. And let there be no more of this literalist stuff, y'hear?

Dag nabbit! I just spilled a perfectly good glass of Russell's Reserve! Thankfully I gots me the rest of the bottle. And to think I've got a plane to catch in the morning. Thankfully late morning...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 19, 2019 at 3:06 am Reason: I lgotsI
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
6. After driving from Anchorage down the Alaska Highway to Eugene, Oregon to deliver your old Ford Bronco to your son who’s a student athlete at the U of O, you watched with pride as his Oregon Ducks beat the Washington Huskies in a last second buzzer beater in NCAA Division 1 Basketball. For your return flight home to Anchorage, you’ve found a great low far with an airline other than Alaska. You’ll fly nonstop from Eugene to the connecting city, and then board a one stop flight to Anchorage. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the routing including the intermediate stop between the connecting city and Anchorage.

Morris Air Service (KN), Boeing 737-300, Eugene-Portland (EUG-PDX) connecting to Portland-Seattle-Anchorage (PDX-SEA-ANC)

Did you just know this off the top of your head? Pretty good. Here's the schedule:

Morris Air KN 123 Eugene (EUG) 350p-430p Portland (PDX) 737-300 Daily
Morris Air KN 338 Portlnd (PDX 715p-805p Seattle (SEA) 905p-1155p Anchorage (ANC) 737-300 Daily

27. These days the Dubai to London route is well served with a multitude of daily nonstop A380s from the likes of Emirates, BA and Qantas. Back in 1986 however, it was a different story. Which airline offered the most nonstop flights per week from Dubai to London?

Not sure so I will be running to several airline ticket counters....first is...Gulf Air

Pretty good guess ;there, T - but no, we're looking for a different airline - one that operated larger aircraft than Gulf Air...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 19, 2019 at 3:02 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great job on that initial batch of questions, everyone! Here's a few more to consider...

But first, here are the remaining unanswered questions from the first installment:

B. It's the winter of 1986 and you’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

9. After having been upgraded to First Class aboard an oversold Eastern L-1011 back in the eighties, Jim’s had a hard time sitting in Economy Class on airplanes that also have a First Class cabin. He just can’t get past the memories of his fantastic experience and the fact that he’s not only up not up there to enjoy it again, but that on his pension as a custodial technician for the East Orange School District, he likely never will be. As such, J1m prefers to fly upon airlines that don’t offer First Class. Fortunately, the route between New York and Ft. Lauderdale features two airlines that operate their jets in an all-economy configuration. Identify both airlines and the equipment each operates.
A N S W E R E D

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1980....

10. How exciting! You’ve just been invited by your brother to join him and his family at the Jai Alai Tournament of Champions down in Miami. From your home in Daytona Beach, Miami is just a 4 hour drive down I-95. Then again, thanks to a new deregulation inspired fare war, there’s a sale on. Your first choice of airlines, Eastern, is sold out. However, the other carrier serving Miami from DAB is offering a two-stop flight for $3.00 less than Eastern. Book it Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

11. It’s a long ride from Rapid City, SD to Seattle, WA on the Greyhound bus, but hey - you can’t beat the price! Unfortunately, when the bus breaks down outside of Billings, MT and you’re told that the next one won’t be along for another couple of days, you decide to bag it and fly. To your surprise, there’s a single daily nonstop flight departing late each evening to Seattle. You take a big breath, pull out your credit card and purchase a ticket. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
A N S W E R E D

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

14. It used to be if you wanted to fly from Pittsburgh to Toronto, you’d give Nordair or Eastern a call. These days, Eastern still serves the route with a pair of 757s but Nordair has been replaced by another airline. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates on its two flights between Pittsburgh and Toronto.

15. You never envisioned yourself going to see Kenny Rogers in concert (AC/DC is more your speed) but when your grandparents offer to pay for you and your wife to join them in Branson, Missouri, you all have a surprisingly good time. Now it’s time to fly back home to Los Angeles. The flight out to Springfield from Los Angeles involved a connection and a missed connection, so when you discover that there’s a single daily direct 2-stop flight from SGF back to LAX, you buy a pair of tickets. Identify the airline, equipment and the two enroute stops.

16. In the post-deregulated world of commercial air travel in the U.S., anything’s possible it seems. Witness your upcoming trip from Fayetteville, NC to Reno, NV. You love the spring skiing at Heavenly Valley and in years past your trip between Fayetteville and Reno has involved one and often two connections. Not so anymore with the arrival of a new 2-stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two intermediate stops.

17. The history of air travel through California’s scenic Lake Tahoe airport has seen a variety of airlines and aircraft operating everything from Viscounts to 727s. In 1987 only one airline operates anything larger than a 20 seater through TVL. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates.

18. Identify the only international flight operated out of Halifax Stanfield International Airport with turboprop equipment. We’re looking for airline, destination and equipment.
CP Air/Air St. Pierre is correct. Still looking for the aircraft

19. In 1987, if you want to fly direct from most anywhere in Florida to the state of Maine, you typically call Delta Airlines. You’ve never been a big fan of Delta though, and so you couldn’t be happier to discover an airline you’ve never heard of offering an affordable one stop direct flight – indeed it’s the only service nonstop or direct – between Orlando and Portland. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard, not to mention the aircraft type.

20. Identify the two international routes flown to and from the United States utilizing a DC-3. While you’re at it, identify the single airline that flew them as well.

21. It’s a great life working as a bartender for the rich and famous in Vail, Colorado. Now that the season is over, it’s time to relocate to Las Vegas and your summer job bartending at the MGM Grand. Thankfully the transition is made easier this year with the addition of a new once weekly 1-stop direct flight between Vail’s Eagle County Regional Airport and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop if you please.

22. What fun! You’ve just received a call from jlemon to join him and three friends on a sailing trip from Aruba to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. From your home in Wilmington, Delaware you could fly out of either New York or Washington, DC as both airports are essentially equidistant from your home and accessible by train. You settle for a well timed departure out of JFK aboard a new airline that offers affordable 1 stop flights each Saturday and Sunday to Aruba. Breakfast and lunch will be served enroute. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.

23. Is this your lucky trip or what? A quick review of the schedules between St. Thomas and Washington Dulles has revealed a convenient afternoon 1-stop direct flight that ticks all the boxes: It’s more affordable than the traditional airlines flying the route, it offers First Class service and a dinner is served enroute. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon and where will you stop along the way?

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

A N S W E R E D

28. On my recent trip through Southeast Asia – and in particular Vietnam - earlier this year, I was impressed by the quality of air travel within Vietnam. On the Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City route, three airlines offer dozens of daily nonstops. Vietnam Airlines operates many of its flights on that route with new Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 equipment. Back in 1986 however, the HAN-SGN route had just a single daily flight. Identify the airline and aircraft operating that flight.
A N S W E R E D

30. You’re flying from New York home to Paris to visit family and friends over the Christmas holidays. Your family lives in the Viry-Ch tillon neighborhood, only 20 minutes south of Orly Airport via the A6. The problem is all the airlines you’d expect to fly from NYC to Paris all fly into the much less convenient Charles de Gaulle Airport. But wait! Further research has revealed two airlines – both of which offer twice weekly nonstop flights between New York JFK and Paris Orly. Identify the two airlines and the aircraft each operate.

31. It’s been a dreary winter in the tiny village of Little Bollington in Cheshire, England. Perhaps a trip down to Spain’s beautiful Costa Blanca is in order. From nearby Manchester Airport, there’s a new airline that operates a single weekly scheduled nonstop departing MAN each Saturday. Best of all, there’ll be no dreaded seatback catering such as found on some of those dreadful charters. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it operates.
It's not Cal Air, nor is it a DC-10

33. Identify the only airline NOT from Africa or the Middle East that still flew Boeing 707s on scheduled flights into London Heathrow[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 19, 2019 at 11:03 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: BA
Singapore Airlines ?

28. On my recent trip through Southeast Asia – and in particular Vietnam - earlier this year, I was impressed by the quality of air travel within Vietnam. On the Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City route, three airlines offer dozens of daily nonstops. Vietnam Airlines operates
many of its flights on that route with new Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 equipment. Back in 1986 however, the HAN-SGN route had just a single daily flight. Identify the airline and aircraft operating that flight.
Hang Khong Vietnam Tupolev Tu134

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 19, 2019 at 6:16 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
18. Identify the only international flight operated out of Halifax Stanfield International Airport with turboprop equipment. We’re looking for airline, destination and equipment.
Going back to my favorite French destination in North America (which I have yet to get anywhere nearer than Gander). Air St Pierre, St Pierre (FSP) with an ATR 42,
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Singapore Airlines ?
t was to be my guess too after GF was ruled out. SQ moved the ME stop from BAH to DXB in the 'late 70s or '80s (and ws making 1-stop flights to/from LHR). Equipment most likely/frequently used was a 747-300?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. After having been upgraded to First Class aboard an oversold Eastern L-1011 back in the eighties, Jim’s had a hard time sitting in Economy Class on airplanes that also have a First Class cabin. He just can’t get past the memories of his fantastic experience and the fact that he’s not only up not up there to enjoy it again, but that on his pension as a custodial technician for the East Orange School District, he likely never will be. As such, Jim prefers to fly upon airlines that don’t offer First Class. Fortunately, the route between New York and Ft. Lauderdale features two airlines that operate their jets in an all-economy configuration. Identify both airlines and the equipment each operates.

11. It’s a long ride from Rapid City, SD to Seattle, WA on the Greyhound bus, but hey - you can’t beat the price! Unfortunately, when the bus breaks down outside of Billings, MT and you’re told that the next one won’t be along for another couple of days, you decide to bag it and fly. To your surprise, there’s a single daily nonstop flight departing late each evening to Seattle. You take a big breath, pull out your credit card and purchase a ticket. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
9. Well, we know that Carnival was operating B727-200 service from New York to Fort Lauderdale (out of Newark, I think). And I believe I know who the other air carrier was as this airline was operating B727-200 service as well....

But first, let's go back to 1993 and Houston Intercontinental Airport. A new start up was attempting to operate premium first class as well as premium coach service with B727-200 aircraft configured with 90 seats with nonstop flights between IAH and LAX and also nonstop between IAH and EWR. Their inflight service featured gourmet meals along with complimentary cocktails and wine in both first and coach and one could even earn AAdvantage miles by flying with them. The name of this airline was UltrAir and I remember seeing their aircraft at IAH. However, as so often was the case with premium service operations, UltrAir quickly ran into financial difficulties. So what to do? In a radical (and some might say desperate) move, UltrAir moved its operation to New York JFK Airport and reconfigured its 72S aircraft to offer all coach, low fare service. Several routes between JFK and Florida were operated along with a route that was a bit curious: JFK - BHM - MOB. Alas, this transition from premium first and coach service to all low fare coach flights did not work either and UltrAir was no more. So there's my answer: UltrAir.

11. I remember that at one point Western was operating nonstop B727-200 service between Billings and Seattle so there's my guess.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 19, 2019 at 11:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.