Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
a time line of the winter of 1986....

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?
The airline we're looking for was not from North America or Europe. It probably wasn't Africa, either...
Well there aren't a lot of places left. Almost all tourism at Montego Bay is from North America and Europe, and if the flight is daily I'll guess it was headed elsewhere, with a stop here.

Aero Peru had a number of Super DC8s at the time. Could we guess at them doing Miami-Montego Bay-Lima. Just a single daily flight though. Did they only serve it in one direction ?

Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh...... Air UK operated two flights in each direction most days
When I was at university in Edinburgh in the 1970s this routing was operated somewhat differently. British Caledonian operated a couple of daily flights with One-Elevens, one was Glasgow-Newcastle-Amsterdam, the other was Edinburgh-Newcastle-Copenhagen, and at Newcastle there was a very small scissors hub, where the two aircraft stood alongside and passengers were interchanged as necessary.

Air UK, and the supplier of the One-Elevens used temporarily here, British Island, had a convoluted history. Long before, British United had been built up from various mergers and was principally owned by deep sea shipping companies. When British Caledonian was formed, which appears to be a merger of BUA and Caledonian, it was actually these companies selling off the main trunk BUA operation, they kept the local services around the UK, with Peter Villa now in charge, named British Island Airways. This lasted for a few years, and then these were merged with independent Air Anglia, which did the same thing in a different part of the country, to form Air UK. PV in charge again. He wanted to get back into holiday flights from Gatwick, and got some One-Elevens, but his shipping backers would not support investment in more, so he did a buyout of this part of the business and used the name British Island again. They picked up quite a bit of holiday flight work to the Mediterranean, got some Super One-Elevens, and even ultimately some MD-80s, but like other such UK operators did various lease-outs, including this longer term provision of One-Elevens to Air UK while they thought about their jet strategy, eventually settling on the BAe146.

BIA rolled along for a while, until they made the inevitable error of so many others, moving on from providing aircraft for holiday package operators to scheduled services, found all the necessary marketing was beyond them, had too many half-full flights, ran out of money and shut down. Air UK meantime had concentrated a lot on connecting provincial UK points to Amsterdam, which way back had been an Air Anglia focus, came to the close attention of KLM, and gradually the shipping companies sold out to them, the livery became common, Air UK became KLM UK, the non-Amsterdam routes were sold off, and that's really the background to all the KLM flights from so many UK airports to Amsterdam. I believe they still have UK crew bases for these, and a few old timers are still left from British Island (first time around) days.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 16, 2019 at 12:53 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba
ALM, Delta, American
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bays Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and youre about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?
The airline we're looking for was not from North America or Europe. It probably wasn't Africa, either...

Well there aren't a lot of places left. Almost all tourism at Montego Bay is from North America and Europe, and if the flight is daily I'll guess it was headed elsewhere, with a stop here. Aero Peru had a number of Super DC8s at the time. Could we guess at them doing Miami-Montego Bay-Lima. Just a single daily flight though. Did they only serve it in one direction?

Good call, W. According to the schedule I have, the flight came up from Lima in the morning, stayed in MBJ and returned to Lima late afternoon. I don't have access to the relevant schedules at present, but as I recall the inbound from Lima departed at 7:30am, arriving MBJ about 1145am. Here's the southbound schedule returning to Lima.

AeroPeru PL 601 Montego Bay (MBJ) 530p-1000p Lima (LIM) D8S Daily

Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba.

Air Aruba and ALM would seem to be obvious choices; I think BWIA may have also served AUA on the way to/from Port of Spain (POS) and Antigua (ANU) ...

BWIA and ALM are correct. .Surprisingly, Air Aruba is not. Just one more airline to go, J. You can do it!

From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.
ASE via UAE with a BAe-146-100 and HDN via AA with a 727-200 have been identified.
Vail/Eagle has been identified. We need the airline/aircraft that served it from LAX.

I had initially guessed Montrose (MTJ) with a Continental 737-500; the airport was incorrect, but in the absence of feedback as to airline or equipment I will proffer that again

Sorry, J - it wasn't Continental and the aircraft was not a 737-500. Now we know it wasn't AA or UA, and it wasn't Delta or Ethiopian either. So that leaves...
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba

ALM, Delta, American

ALM yes, the others, No. See the post above and please, do guess again!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:17 am

It's a bit extraordinary that Aero Peru ran a daily flight with a Super DC8 (they only had a few) just from Lima to Montego Bay, that's probably more service than all the European carriers did into there, for whom it was often just a tag onto Kingston.

I wonder if the OAG used to get typos like the ABC did, and MBJ had been entered instead of MIA.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:50 am

.........about 15 years ago.....So the question is, which airport, what was the major operator there (now gone), and what aircraft type did they use. Those passengers aren't around the hotel any more.
Could this have been....

Thomsonfly (BY/TOM) which was a new name for Britannia Airways, before they rebranded to Thomson Airways and now TUI Airways

from Coventry airport (CVT)

with 737-500s (and maybe -300s)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
It's a bit extraordinary that Aero Peru ran a daily flight with a Super DC8 (they only had a few) just from Lima to Montego Bay, that's probably more service than all the European carriers did into there, for whom it was often just a tag onto Kingston.

I wonder if the OAG used to get typos like the ABC did, and MBJ had been entered instead of MIA.
They may have tried serving MBJ and then found the traffic wasn't there. I do seem to recall that Compania de Aviacion Faucett (CF, a.k.a. Faucett Peru), which was another air carrier based in Peru, attempted to serve Grand Cayman with DC-8 service three days a week back in 1985. I believe the routing was LIM - GCM - MIA.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

ALM & BWIA identified. Still need one more...

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.
ASE via UAE with a BAe-146-100 and HDN via AA with a 727-200 have been identified.
Vail/Eagle has been identified. We need the airline/aircraft that served it from LAX.
That airline was not AA, CO, DL or ET
22. Wild guess time: VIASA

25. But I thought Ethiopian (ET) was operating a fifth freedom service once a month into EGE.....

Perhaps this was actually America West (HP) flying LAX - EGE with a Boeing 737-300.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's a good question. This definitely stood out to me, especially daily, thus its inclusion as a question. I've not heard of many Peruvian vacationers, but hey - as has already been clearly established - what do I know? Maybe they like that Rasta vibe and good Blue Mountain coffee. Maybe AeroPeru was making more money in the belly, shipping something from one spot or the other. And, maybe the OAG got it wrong... Surprisingly, even the flight itineraries section showed the flight operating LIM-MBJ in its entirety.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 16, 2019 at 12:36 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
ALM & BWIA identified. Still need one more...

Wild guess time: VIASA

You're getting much warmer...

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.
That airline was not AA, CO, DL or ET

But I thought Ethiopian (ET) was operating a fifth freedom service once a month into EGE..... Perhaps this was actually America West (HP) flying LAX - EGE with a Boeing 737-300.

I grew up in Vail and I always remember riding up the chairlift with a guy from Ethiopia. He was a student at CU and really liked snow and skiing. That said, not enough of his countrymen felt similarly to warrant even once monthly service to EGE from ADD. As to that other airline we're looking for - Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! America West it is! Here are the schedules for all three of the airlines/ski resort destinations covered in this question:

America West HP 1119 Los Angeles (LAX) 1055a-155p Vail (EGE) 737-300 Sat. only

American 1392 AA Los Angeles (LAX) 930a-1237p Steamboat Springs (HDN) 727-200 Daily

United UA 3780 Los Angeles (LAX) 700a-1005 Aspen (ASE) BAe-146 X3
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
That's a good question. This definitely stood out to me, especially daily, thus its inclusion as a question. I've not heard of many Peruvian vacationers, but hey - as has already been clearly established - what do I know? Maybe they like that Rasta vibe and good Blue Mountain coffee. Maybe AeroPeru was making more money in the belly, shipping something from one spot or the other. And, maybe the OAG got it wrong...
Unless there was more than one D8S used on the route, the ~5:15 hr in MBJ is hardly long enough for the a/c to go somewhere else, turnaround and come back (unless the a/c did fly to MIA?). If it sat there, I guess it may be long enough for crew rest and D8S must have been going cheap at that time.

I was at a loss to think which S American airline would fly to Jamaica, especially daily. Surinam Air crossed my mind, going on to AMS but Jamaica is a little out of the way.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by KT550
Could this have been....

Thomsonfly (BY/TOM) which was a new name for Britannia Airways, before they rebranded to Thomson Airways and now TUI Airways

from Coventry airport (CVT)

with 737-500s (and maybe -300s)
Spot on. It was a well-regarded little LCC operation in the region, from an airport which had temporary structures thrown up as a terminal. Nowadays the airport has been so downgraded, doesn't even have a control tower any more.

In passing there was a spectacular airshow put on there in August 2000 by Air Atlantique, who ran the best old propliner fleet in Europe, and got anyone else in they could. Not only their Electras, but DC3s, a KLM DC4, a Nord Noratlas (some will have to look that one up), and others.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great job on that initial batch of questions, everyone! Here's a few more to consider...

But first, here are the remaining unanswered questions from the first installment:

A. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba in the spring of 1991
A N S W E R E D

B. It's the winter of 1986 and you’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
It was not Air Nauru, but the second stop was on Majuro

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

1. In the winter of 1994, what was the shortest flight in North America operated with widebody equipment?
A N S W E R E D

2. During ski season, the little Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) serving Steamboat Springs, CO sees a lot more business, including jet flights from three different airlines, with each airline operating different and unique equipment. Identify the three airlines and the equipment each operates into HDN.
A N S W E R E D

3. Back in the “Good Old Days” New Orleans was well served with a variety of widebody jet flights. National Airlines in particular comes to mind with its many DC-10s routing through from a variety of Florida cities, continuing on to Houston and points west. In early 1994, MSY is served with only two widebody flights per day – both te same type of equipment. We’re not interested in the destination(s) of these flights, just the airline and equipment type.
A N S W E R E D

4. What a great weekend you’ve got planned! You’ll be flying from Miami over to Nassau, sailing up to Freeport and then flying back to Ft. Lauderdale. Only one airline offers jet service in each market – each one with a different type of equipment. Identify the single carrier and the jet it operates on the MIA-NAS and FPO-FLL markets.
A N S W E R E D

5. In early 1994, flying between Los Angeles and Mexico City offered a great opportunity to sample some truly great inflight service via two foreign airlines operating Fifth Freedom flights on the route. Another foreign carrier also operated over this route but per the schedules allowed only Conditional Stopover Traffic. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated.
A N S W E R E D

6. After driving from Anchorage down the Alaska Highway to Eugene, Oregon to deliver your old Ford Bronco to your son who’s a student athlete at the U of O, you watched with pride as his Oregon Ducks beat the Washington Huskies in a last second buzzer beater in NCAA Division 1 Basketball. For your return flight home to Anchorage, you’ve found a great low far with an airline other than Alaska. You’ll fly nonstop from Eugene to the connecting city, and then board a one stop flight to Anchorage. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the routing including the intermediate stop between the connecting city and Anchorage.

7. Back in early 1994, you could fly aboard what was possibly the first scheduled westbound nonstop transcon flight operated with a variant of the Boeing 737. Identify the route, the airline and the variant of 737 utilized.

8. Back in early 1994, if you wanted to fly between the New York City metropolitan area and Chicago’s Midway Airport, three airlines offered nonstop flights. Two operated from Newark while one operated out of LaGuardia. Each airline operated a different type of equipment on this route. Identify the three airlines and the equipment each operated on the NYC-MDW route.

9. After having been upgraded to First Class aboard an oversold Eastern L-1011 back in the eighties, Jim’s had a hard time sitting in Economy Class on airplanes that also have a First Class cabin. He just can’t get past the memories of his fantastic experience and the fact that he’s not only up not up there to enjoy it again, but that on his pension as a custodial technician for the East Orange School District, he likely never will be. As such, J1m prefers to fly upon airlines that don’t offer First Class. Fortunately, the route between New York and Ft. Lauderdale features two airlines that operate their jets in an all-economy configuration. Identify both airlines and the equipment each operates.

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1980....

10. How exciting! You’ve just been invited by your brother to join him and his family at the Jai Alai Tournament of Champions down in Miami. From your home in Daytona Beach, Miami is just a 4 hour drive down I-95. Then again, thanks to a new deregulation inspired fare war, there’s a sale on. Your first choice of airlines, Eastern, is sold out. However, the other carrier serving Miami from DAB is offering a two-stop flight for $3.00 less than Eastern. Book it Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

11. It’s a long ride from Rapid City, SD to Seattle, WA on the Greyhound bus, but hey - you can’t beat the price! Unfortunately, when the bus breaks down outside of Billings, MT and you’re told that the next one won’t be along for another couple of days, you decide to bag it and fly. To your surprise, there’s a single daily nonstop flight departing late each evening to Seattle. You take a big breath, pull out your credit card and purchase a ticket. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

12. The American Meteorological Society is holding its annual conference in Jackson, Mississippi – the windiest city in America. From your home outside of Phoenix, that’ll probably translate into an unpleasant journey involving one or more connections. Imagine then your surprise and delight when your travel agent informs you that there’s a 2-stop flight departing Phoenix each morning except Saturday. Identify the airline, enroute stops and equipment please.
A N S W E R E D

13. Business calls in Dallas, Texas. You’ll be attending the International Meeting on Thermodynamics, Fluid Dynamics & Fluid Mechanics. Now then, how to get there? A call to Err Canada reveals no service to Dallas from Vancouver. How about calling a travel agent, then. Yes! Although there are no nonstops, there are two daily 2-stop flights – both on the same airline, both following the same routing. The morning flight offers a snack, breakfast and lunch enroute. Yum!! Bookit, Danno! Alright then, you know the drill – identify all the usual stuff.
A N S W E R E D

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

14. It used to be if you wanted to fly from Pittsburgh to Toronto, you’d give Nordair or Eastern a call. These days, Eastern still serves the route with a pair of 757s but Nordair has been replaced by another airline. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates on its two flights between Pittsburgh and Toronto.

15. You never envisioned yourself going to see Kenny Rogers in concert (AC/DC is more your speed) but when your grandparents offer to pay for you and your wife to join them in Branson, Missouri, you all have a surprisingly good time. Now it’s time to fly back home to Los Angeles. The flight out to Springfield from Los Angeles involved a connection and a missed connection, so when you discover that there’s a single daily direct 2-stop flight from SGF back to LAX, you buy a pair of tickets. Identify the airline, equipment and the two enroute stops.

16. In the post-deregulated world of commercial air travel in the U.S., anything’s possible it seems. Witness your upcoming trip from Fayetteville, NC to Reno, NV. You love the spring skiing at Heavenly Valley and in years past your trip between Fayetteville and Reno has involved one and often two connections. Not so anymore with the arrival of a new 2-stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two intermediate stops.

17. The history of air travel through California’s scenic Lake Tahoe airport has seen a variety of airlines and aircraft operating everything from Viscounts to 727s. In 1987 only one airline operates anything larger than a 20 seater through TVL. Identify that airline and the equipment it operates.

18. Identify the only international flight operated out of Halifax Stanfield International Airport with turboprop equipment. We’re looking for airline, destination and equipment.

19. In 1987, if you want to fly direct from most anywhere in Florida to the state of Maine, you typically call Delta Airlines. You’ve never been a big fan of Delta though, and so you couldn’t be happier to discover an airline you’ve never heard of offering an affordable one stop direct flight – indeed it’s the only service nonstop or direct – between Orlando and Portland. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard, not to mention the aircraft type.

20. Identify the two international routes flown to and from the United States utilizing a DC-3. While you’re at it, identify the single airline that flew them as well.

21. It’s a great life working as a bartender for the rich and famous in Vail, Colorado. Now that the season is over, it’s time to relocate to Las Vegas and your summer job bartending at the MGM Grand. Thankfully the transition is made easier this year with the addition of a new once weekly 1-stop direct flight between Vail’s Eagle County Regional Airport and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop if you please.

22. What fun! You’ve just received a call from jlemon to join him and three friends on a sailing trip from Aruba to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. From your home in Wilmington, Delaware you could fly out of either New York or Washington, DC as both airports are essentially equidistant from your home and accessible by train. You settle for a well timed departure out of JFK aboard a new airline that offers affordable 1 stop flights each Saturday and Sunday to Aruba. Breakfast and lunch will be served enroute. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.

23. Is this your lucky trip or what? A quick review of the schedules between St. Thomas and Washington Dulles has revealed a convenient afternoon 1-stop direct flight that ticks all the boxes: It’s more affordable than the traditional airlines flying the route, it offers First Class service and a dinner is served enroute. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon and where will you stop along the way?

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

24. In late 1986, only one airline operates Soviet built equipment into Miami. You have booked yourself a First Class seat aboard that airline’s nonstop flight to its home base. What airline will you be flying on, where will you be flying to and what type of airplane will you be flying on?
A N S W E R E D

25. In late 1986, there was only one airline operating scheduled flights with Boeing 747SPs into London’s Gatwick Airport. The flight only operated once a week. Name the airline that operated this service.
A N S W E R E D

26. Over the years a number of airlines have offered direct service between Hawaii and London. Anybody remember BOAC VC10s plying the route via LAX and JFK? Of course you do! Now then, what was the airline du jour providing this service in late 1986? Where did the flight stop and what type of equipment did it use?

27. These days the Dubai to London route is well served with a multitude of daily nonstop A380s from the likes of Emirates, BA and Qantas. Back in 1986 however, it was a different story. Which airline offered the most nonstop flights per week from Dubai to London?

28. On my recent trip through Southeast Asia – and in particular Vietnam - earlier this year, I was impressed by the quality of air travel within Vietnam. On the Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City route, three airlines offer dozens of daily nonstops. Vietnam Airlines operates many of its flights on that route with new Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 equipment. Back in 1986 however, the HAN-SGN route had just a single daily flight. Identify the airline and aircraft operating that flight.

29. In 1986, what was the longest scheduled flight into London operated by an L-1011 of any variant?
A N S W E R E D

30. You’re flying from New York home to Paris to visit family and friends over the Christmas holidays. Your family lives in the Viry-Ch tillon neighborhood, only 20 minutes south of Orly Airport via the A6. The problem is all the airlines you’d expect to fly from NYC to Paris all fly into the much less convenient Charles de Gaulle Airport. But wait! Further research has revealed two airlines – both of which offer twice weekly nonstop flights between New York JFK and Paris Orly. Identify the two airlines and the aircraft each operate.

31. It’s been a dreary winter in the tiny village of Little Bollington in Cheshire, England. Perhaps a trip down to Spain’s beautiful Costa Blanca is in order. From nearby Manchester Airport, there’s a new airline that operates a single weekly scheduled nonstop departing MAN each Saturday. Best of all, there’ll be no dreaded seatback catering such as found on some of those dreadful charters. Identify the airline and the aircraft type it operates.

32. From your home on Isle of Man, you’ll be travelling down to London on business and then continuing on to the city of Leeds, way up in County Yorkshire, where you’ll spend the weekend with your dear old uncle. Two airlines will be involved, one for the nonstop to London Heathrow and the other for the nonstop up to Leeds. One airline operates propeller equipment only while the other operates both props and jets. You will be flying upon the only aircraft type common to both airlines. So then, identify each airline and the common equipment you’ll be flying upon.

33. Identify the only airline NOT from Africa or the Middle East that still flew Boeing 707s on scheduled flights into London Heathrow

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 17, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba in the spring of 1991
A. El wild guess-oh numero two-oh: Aeropostal

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.