Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
18. Who’d have ever thought there one day be direct daily 1-stop service between St. Maarten and Detroit? Well there is now. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.
18- y'know, I think the airline and aircraft are the same ones Seat 2A recently acknowledged as the answer to another perplexing question in this batch ... a Pan Am 727-221, with the stop of course being JFK
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
18. Who’d have ever thought there one day be direct daily 1-stop service between St. Maarten and Detroit? Well there is now. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

Y'know, I think the airline and aircraft are the same ones Seat 2A recently acknowledged as the answer to another perplexing question in this batch ... a Pan Am 727-221, with the stop of course being JFK

And another one bites the dust! Here's the sked:

Pan Am PA 226 St. Maarten (SXM) 325p-725p New York (JFK) 1010p-1210a Detroit (DTW) 727-200 Daily
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

21. The recent commencement of a new 2-stop direct flight between Missoula and Chicago is great news since you have to fly back to the home office at least five times a year. At last! No more long layovers enroute. And better yet, you’ll be served a snack and a lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.
21. I'll guess Delta operating a B727-200 with a routing of Missoula - Great Falls - Salt Lake City - Chicago O'Hare.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?
23- another vote for a Delta 727-232, but a not-so-conventional itinerary ... DEN-STT via Dallas (DFW) and Orlando (MCO)
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
21. The recent commencement of a new 2-stop direct flight between Missoula and Chicago is great news since you have to fly back to the home office at least five times a year. At last! No more long layovers enroute. And better yet, you’ll be served a snack and a lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

I'll guess Delta operating a B727-200 with a routing of Missoula - Great Falls - Salt Lake City - Chicago O'Hare.

Sounds good to me, but as always - what do I know? Alas, the OAG I referenced for this question indicates otherwise. However, the aircraft was a 727-200. Go get 'em, JL!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 13, 2019 at 5:57 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?

Another vote for a Delta 727-232, but a not-so-conventional itinerary ... DEN-STT via Dallas (DFW) and Orlando (MCO)

Dang! You had a nice little streak going there, J, but alas, it has come to an inglorious end on this one. We're not only looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft, but one that operates over an entirely different routing as well. Please, guess again!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

21. Well, now that we have Delta out of the way......let's try Northwest operating a 72S with a routing of MSO - BIL - MSP - ORD.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Since it's a 727 and Missoula is involved, how about Northwest Missoula-MSP-MKE-ORD?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?
Condor, to... FRA?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.
NLM CityHopper, Fokker 28-4000

At first the "not KLM" threw me off but after much thought it is a KLM related airline, just not KLM. I'll be very disappointed if I'm wrong but, then, there are other ticket counters at the airport.

Seat2A, thanks for the old Eastern IAH-SFO-IAH schedule!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jlemon
: Well, now that we have Delta out of the way......let's try Northwest operating a 72S with a routing of MSO - BIL - MSP - ORD.

Per YVR Cockroach: Since it's a 727 and Missoula is involved, how about Northwest Missoula-MSP-MKE-ORD?

Sorry, gang - it's not Northwest. Nor were any of the stops in BIL, MSP or MKE. Please, do carry on!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.

NLM CityHopper, Fokker 28-4000. At first the "not KLM" threw me off but after much thought it is a KLM related airline, just not KLM. I'll be very disappointed if I'm wrong but, then, there are other ticket counters at the airport.

Sorry, Mr. T, but it is not NLM's CityHopper. We're looking for another airline and aircraft type. Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 13, 2019 at 9:31 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:36 pm
Suspended

I'm not Mr. T

But how about Edinburgh/Turnhouse - Amsterdam/Schiphol on Air UK, Fokker F27?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:12 am
Suspended

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

Here again, at least two of my travel pals are already at the airport in Missoula, trying to get to Chicago. Being late in the game, I defy conventional logic (Northwest and Delta) and run to a different ticket counter...

Continental Airlines, Boeing 727-200, Missoula - Bozeman - Denver - Chicago O'Hare.

Will the Continental Airlines ticket counter sell me a ticket??? I'm somewhat sure they will but Bozeman is a wild theory (Continental had service two Bozeman and Missoula for not very long then exited the market. Maybe one was a tag end?)

Last edited by Toshbaf; Feb 14, 2019 at 12:21 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BA
The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.
At that time, this route would be flooded with holiday flights multi times a day, which had pretty much zapped any prospect of schedules. Who would stick just one on ? I'll go for Iberia with a 727-200.

By the way, I was up in Manchester on Monday evening. Didn't rain, but car all iced over in the morning. And for those who recall my post from my car broken down by Parliament Square in London at 10pm last Friday, finally got home at 2am on the back of the RAC (think AAA) recovery truck. The Jaguar is in the garage now having replacement bits put in, so I ended up with an Avis Ford for the trip, which involved several places along the way.

No comparison ... and Avis don't provide an ice scraper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.