Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

11. Although you arrived in Laughlin, Nevada via an airport shuttle from Las Vegas, you enjoyed such a nice run of luck on the craps tables that you can now afford to fly back home to Mountain View, California directly from the airport closest to Laughlin. Identify the closest airports to the aforementioned departure and arrival cities along with the airline and equipment serving this route with daily service.

20. This U.S. airline operated affordable flights between New York, Miami and three central American cities. Because it is a U.S. airline however, you can take advantage of its affordable fare between Newark (EWR) and Miami. Identify the airline and the jet type you’ll be flying upon.

26. It used to be that if you wanted to fly on a jet out of Sept-Iles, Quebec, you’d board a Quebecair BAC-111. These days it’s a different single airline operating a different type of jet. Identify the airline and the jet type operated.
11. I believe the airport which serves Laughlin is actually located in another state: Arizona. We are talking about Bullhead City, of course, which can be found just across the mighty Colorado River from Laughlin. And the closest airport to Mountain View in lovely Santa Clara County (well, it was lovely and downright bucolic once upon a time when I was quite young but is now much more urban in nature) would be San Jose. This brings us to Reno Air operating either an MD-80 or MD-87 between BHC and SJC. I'll go with the MD-80.

20. Ah, I think I actually remember this air carrier: Challenge International Airlines. If so, the equipment may have been a B737-200.

26. Following the demise of Quebecair, I do not believe there was ever too much in the way in jet service into Sept-Iles (Seven Iles) in Quebec province (although once upon a time Quebecair operated not only the BAC One-Eleven into YZV but also the B727-100). In fact, only one airline comes to mind: Intair operating a Fokker 100.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Smile 50 years of the 747

strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 9, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
And the way things are going over at Airbus, the 747 just might outlast the A380 in terms of remaining longer in serial production......
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

1. You’ve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX
Only because I saw 707s rotting away at ASU, I'll say one was Lineas Aereas Paraguayas.

Other one, I'll guess Aerolineas Argentinas. I'm sure I've seen these rotting away around EZE too.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
6. Youre in Manchester, England and need to travel to Gibraltar to deliver a yacht to Palma on the island of Mallorca. A call to your travel agent reveals that only one airline serves GIB from MAN so you quickly book a flight. Name the airline and the equipment.

Monarch Airlines using a 737-200 or -300

While Monarch did launch its first ever scheduled services in 1986, it is not the airline of record here. But please, do guess again!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by KT550
6. Youre in Manchester, England and need to travel to Gibraltar to deliver a yacht to Palma on the island of Mallorca. A call to your travel agent reveals that only one airline serves GIB from MAN so you quickly book a flight. Name the airline and the equipment.

While Monarch did launch its first ever scheduled services in 1986, it is not the airline of record here. But please, do guess again!
Then I'll try Air Europe (AE) with a 737-200
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
11. Although you arrived in Laughlin, Nevada via an airport shuttle from Las Vegas, you enjoyed such a nice run of luck on the craps tables that you can now afford to fly back home to Mountain View, California directly from the airport closest to Laughlin. Identify the closest airports to the aforementioned departure and arrival cities along with the airline and equipment serving this route with daily service.

I believe the airport which serves Laughlin is actually located in another state: Arizona. We are talking about Bullhead City, of course, which can be found just across the mighty Colorado River from Laughlin. And the closest airport to Mountain View in lovely Santa Clara County (well, it was lovely and downright bucolic once upon a time when I was quite young but is now much more urban in nature) would be San Jose. This brings us to Reno Air operating either an MD-80 or MD-87 between BHC and SJC. I'll go with the MD-80.

Well now, to describe the Colorado River as "mighty" is a bit of a stretch at Laughlin, but it is indeed the border between Nevada and Arizona and you'll find the airport that serves it located just across the river on a low bluff above Bullhead City. I visited there once when a (gasp! OMG! eek 747SP was resting quietly on the tarmac under the hot desert sun. But I digress. When it comes to flights between Bullhead City and San Jose, Reno Air and its MD80s is an excellent guess. Unfortunately, in this instance however, we're looking for a different airline and aircraft. Please, guess again!

20. This U.S. airline operated affordable flights between New York, Miami and three central American cities. Because it is a U.S. airline however, you can take advantage of its affordable fare between Newark (EWR) and Miami. Identify the airline and the jet type you’ll be flying upon.

Ah, I think I actually remember this air carrier: Challenge International Airlines. If so, the equipment may have been a B737-200.

Yep, that's the one! It would have ceased operations not long after this flight. Here's the schedule:

Challenge Air International VV 101 Newark (EWR) 900a-1140a Miami (MIA) 737-200 X15
Breakfast served enroute

26. It used to be that if you wanted to fly on a jet out of Sept-Iles, Quebec, you’d board a Quebecair BAC-111. These days it’s a different single airline operating a different type of jet. Identify the airline and the jet type operated.

Following the demise of Quebecair, I do not believe there was ever too much in the way in jet service into Sept-Iles (Seven Iles) in Quebec province (although once upon a time Quebecair operated not only the BAC One-Eleven into YZV but also the B727-100). In fact, only one airline comes to mind: Intair operating a Fokker 100.

Correct! Although it served primarily destinations in Quebec, its Fokker 100s were also seen in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Ontario.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
1. Youve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX

Only because I saw 707s rotting away at ASU, I'll say one was Lineas Aereas Paraguayas. Other one, I'll guess Aerolineas Argentinas. I'm sure I've seen these rotting away around EZE too.

One down, one to go! LAP Lineas Aereas Paraguayas is correct with service to Asuncion. As for Aerolineas Argentinas, it still operated some all economy class configured 707s on regional routes around South America but by 1986 the 747 was serving MEX. So then, we're looking for one more airline - which just so happens to be the last airline I flew a 707 upon.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=KT550;30758568]6. You’re in Manchester, England and need to travel to Gibraltar to deliver a yacht to Palma on the island of Mallorca. A call to your travel agent reveals that only one airline serves GIB from MAN so you quickly book a flight. Name the airline and the equipment.

Then I'll try Air Europe (AE) with a 737-200

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! Here's the schedule:

Air Europe AE 201 Manchester (MAN) 415p-820p Gibraltar (GIB) 737-200 Sat only
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11. Hmmmmm....not Reno Air, you say. Well then....let's go with Morris Air with a Boeing 737-300.

And as for the Colorado River, perhaps I should invoke the words of the late, great author Edward Abbey and describe it as being "once mighty before it's dam-nation"....
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

1. You’ve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX
A N S W E R E D

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

4. You’re off to Belize City for a week of diving at Roatan. Life could hardly get any better but it does when you’re informed that the flight taking you from Miami down to Belize City is operated with widebody equipment. What airline will you be flying on and what is the equipment?

5. Your job has you commuting regularly between Dusseldorf and London’s Heathrow International Airport. Three airlines serve this route – two of them with narrow bodied equipment and the other with three different models of wide bodied equipment. The latter is your airline of choice. Identify that airline and the three models of wide body equipment that it operates on the DUS-LHR route.

6. You’re in Manchester, England and need to travel to Gibraltar to deliver a yacht to Palma on the island of Mallorca. A call to your travel agent reveals that only one airline serves GIB from MAN so you quickly book a flight. Name the airline and the equipment.
A N S W E R E D

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

9. In late 1986, only one airline operated a Boeing 707 into Manchester, England. Name the airline. No need to identify where it flies in from as the name will give it away.
It wasn't Cyprus Airways

10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

A N S W E R E D

13. While not an uncommon sight at Newark International Airport, Boeing’s 737-500 is rarely seen at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport – so rarely seen in fact that there is only one flight that operates just twice weekly. Identify the airline and the originating city of this flight.
A N S W E R E D

15. Identify the six airlines that serve Las Vegas with all-economy configured jet flights

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.

17. It’s been a fun weekend on Michigan’s Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo, but now it’s time to return back to Washington DC and resume battle on the Senate Appropriations Committee which you chair. Although it wasn’t always so, there’s now a convenient 1 stop direct flight into Washington National that departs Kalamzoo each morning at 700a. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.
A N S W E R E D

18. Who’d have ever thought there one day be direct daily 1-stop service between St. Maarten and Detroit? Well there is now. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

19. Right on! The boss has finally given the green light for you to attend next week’s International Electronics Symposium being held this year in Minneapolis. A quick call to Northwest reveals that each of its three nonstops between Orange Country and MSP are completely sold out – even in First Class. Well dang! The prospect of driving the 405 up to LAX is never a pleasant one, so you’re thrilled to discover a single First Class seat available aboard a direct 2-stop flight out of SNA, arriving MSP the night before the show. Now if you can just find a hotel! In the meantime, identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

21. The recent commencement of a new 2-stop direct flight between Missoula and Chicago is great news since you have to fly back to the home office at least five times a year. At last! No more long layovers enroute. And better yet, you’ll be served a snack and a lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba

23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?

24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.

27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.

Miscellaneous Questions

29. What was the name of British Caledonian’s Gatwick Lounge for its Premium Class passengers?
A N S W E R E D

30. What was the world's first inflight magazine to be published for a single airline? What airline was it?
A N S W E R E D

31. What was the first European airline to be awarded a 5-Star rating for its overall service from the international air transport rating organization, Skytrax? (Only 9 airlines currently enjoy this distinction)

34. Why did Qantas refer to its early 707s as “V-jets”?
A N S W E R E D

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S., it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Nia, the Pinta, and the Santa Mara after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 10, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Hmmmmm....not Reno Air, you say. Well then....let's go with Morris Air with a Boeing 737-300.

Correct! Here's the schedule:

Morris Air KN 362 Bullhead City (BHC) 940p – 1040p San Jose 737-300 Daily

And as for the Colorado River, perhaps I should invoke the words of the late, great author Edward Abbey and describe it as being "once mighty before it's dam-nation"....

Did I ever send you a copy of "Hayduke Lives"?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
1. Youve just pushed back from the gate in Mexico City and are on your way to the runway when you spot not one but two elderly 707s parked at an adjacent terminal. Identify the two airlines flying cheduled passenger flights with 707s into MEX

Only because I saw 707s rotting away at ASU, I'll say one was Lineas Aereas Paraguayas. Other one, I'll guess Aerolineas Argentinas. I'm sure I've seen these rotting away around EZE too.

One down, one to go! LAP Lineas Aereas Paraguayas is correct with service to Asuncion. As for Aerolineas Argentinas, it still operated some all economy class configured 707s on regional routes around South America but by 1986 the 747 was serving MEX. So then, we're looking for one more airline - which just so happens to be the last airline I flew a 707 upon.
Let's try Pluna.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

13. While not an uncommon sight at Newark International Airport, Boeings 737-500 is rarely seen at New Yorks John F. Kennedy International Airport so rarely seen in fact that there is only one flight that operates just twice weekly. Identify the airline and the originating city of this flight.

Miscellaneous Questions

34. Why did Qantas refer to its early 707s as V-jets?
13. A not so educated guess but not a wild guess. Mexican carrier, TAESA. Mexico City - JFK.

34. No change in my answer. 'Cuz they wanted too, ha ha ha! V-Jet for Fan Jet or V for Vannus (blowing air).
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

Let's try Pluna

Nope - it wasn't PLUNA (Which I believe was the last operator of 707s in South America if you don't count Argentinean military airline LADE) You're on the right continent, though. As such, por favor, adivina otra vez!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.