Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Jan 29, 19, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Let's include a hint that applies to both of these...

The above flights operated by COPA and Lufthansa did not serve destinations located in the continental U.S., Canada or Mexico.
So the route did not involve the little bit of France in North America (not that there may be a runway large enough to support a non-stop flight to Europe).

I'll (wildly) guess the main stop was Santo Domingo (SDQ) and Aruba (AUA) weekly and Curaçao (CUR) bi weekly
Old Jan 29, 19, 2:58 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
So the route did not involve the little bit of France in North America (not that there may be a runway large enough to support a non-stop flight to Europe).

I'll (wildly) guess the main stop was Santo Domingo (SDQ) and Aruba (AUA) weekly and Curaçao (CUR) bi weekly
Well, I'm a bit confused here (and, quite frankly, I managed to make a career out of that particular condition )....

Are you referring to COPA or Lufthansa?
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I'm a bit confused here (and, quite frankly, I managed to make a career out of that particular condition )....

Are you referring to COPA or Lufthansa?
Sorry, Lufthansa.

Have no idea where a Panamanian airline would fly to in the Caribbean (well, other than tax haven/shell company/nominee destinations). On that note, how about a wild guess of Grand Cayman (GCM) and Freeport (FPO) for COPA?
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:50 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat

5. With regard to Lufthansa, the destinations in question were not Santo Domingo, Aruba or Curacao.

However, the LH routes were indeed in the Caribbean and the stage lengths of both were not all that long, distance-wise.
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:53 pm

Sorry, Lufthansa.

Have no idea where a Panamanian airline would fly to in the Caribbean (well, other than tax haven/shell company/nominee destinations). On that note, how about a wild guess of Grand Cayman (GCM) and Freeport (FPO) for COPA?
3. Nope, it wasn't Freeport or lovely Grand Cayman (with the latter being one of my favorite islands in the Caribbean). So please guess again concerning COPA as well!
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
5- how about LH into Port of Spain (POS), continuing on to Barbados (BGI) and Antigua (ANU)
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
5- how about LH into Port of Spain (POS), continuing on to Barbados (BGI) and Antigua (ANU)
5. A great guess! However, the flights in question did not serve Port of Spain or Barbados.

But there is some good news here as one of the flights did indeed serve Antigua (ANU).
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Dia, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
I think one of the Lufthansa flights in question was SJU-ANU, but have no clue about the other.
Old Jan 30, 19, 9:11 am

Programs: BA
There's actually quite a lot of French territory in North America, including at least two runways that support multiple 777s daily nonstop to Paris.
Old Jan 30, 19, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by joejones View Post
I think one of the Lufthansa flights in question was SJU-ANU, but have no clue about the other.
5- maybe SJU to Port-au-Prince (PAP) for the other?
Old Jan 30, 19, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by joejones View Post
Yep, that is indeed one of the routes. And the OAG only lists the schedule in one direction....

LH 548: Antigua (ANU) 3:20p - 4:25p San Juan (SJU)
Freq: Tuesdays and Fridays only
Equip: A340
Service classes: F/C/Y

LH 548 operated FRA - ANU - SJU. The return flight, LH 549, operated SJU - ANU - FRA according to the Flight Itineraries section of the OAG.
Old Jan 30, 19, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
There's actually quite a lot of French territory in North America, including at least two runways that support multiple 777s daily nonstop to Paris.
Fort de France (FDF) on Martinique and Pointe a Pitre (PTP) on Guadeloupe come to mind....

In the fall of 1993, no less than four different air carriers were operating wide body service between Fort de France and Paris: Air France (AF) with the B747-200 and B747-300, Air Liberte (VD) with the A300, Air Martinique (NN) with the DC-10 and AOM French Airlines (IW) also with the DC-10. In addition, Air Liberte was operating nonstop A300 service once a week between Fort de France and Bordeaux (BOD) while AOM was operating nonstop DC-10 service once a week between Fort de France and Marseille (MAR).

Also during the fall of 1993, Air France, Air Liberte and AOM French Airlines were operating wide body service between Pointe a Pitre and Paris with the same respective aircraft types as listed above with Air Liberte also operating nonstop PTP-BOD A300 service once a week and AOM operating nonstop PTP-MAR DC-10 service once a week as well.

BTW, as we have discussed in the past, all of these flights between these French controlled Caribbean islands and France were considered to be domestic services.
Old Jan 30, 19, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

5- maybe SJU to Port-au-Prince (PAP) for the other?
5. The other Lufthansa flight did indeed serve San Juan as well; however, it did not serve Port-au-Prince.
Old Jan 30, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA
Fort de France (FDF) on Martinique and Pointe a Pitre (PTP) on Guadeloupe come to mind....

In the fall of 1993, no less than four different air carriers were operating wide body service between Fort de France and Paris.

BTW, as we have discussed in the past, all of these flights between these French controlled Caribbean islands and France were considered to be domestic services.
They are domestic, the islands are an integral part of France and the European Union. It's surprising Air Inter never bought the equipment to serve them.

If only Miniliq was around we could be educated in Martinique rum, which can be found in any Paris bar, principally ordered by those who have been there on holiday.
Old Jan 30, 19, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
I didn't think the Caribbean and Antilles are considered part of North America - by whatever categorisation - but I guess they are by some. Was thinking FSP and MQC but onward flights from there won't be considered 5th freedom.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: