Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
How about VIASA with a DC-9-80?
67. VIASA: Si! DC-9-80: No! Please guess again, Senor!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 22, 2019 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
41- unless it was at an oddball location with a short tag to MIA -- maybe Orlando (MCO) -- I can't realistically see any options for a second stop besides UA's other hubs -- Chicago O'Hare (ORD) and Washington Dulles (IAD) ... for whatever reason, I think IAD is more likely, and that leads me to speculate that the equipment was a DC-8-71

71- hmmmmmmmmm ... let's try USAir with a 737-300 stopping at Baltimore (BWI) and Philadelphia (PHL)

72- I'm gonna say this was also USAir, operating a single-cabin 737-200 via Charlotte (CLT) and Islip MacArthur (ISP)
41. Nope, the missing stop isn't Washington Dulles and the equipment wasn't a Super DC-8-71.

71. Nope, it wasn't USAir and the stops were not made at Baltimore and Philadelphia. However, the equipment was a B737-300.

72. Nope, it wasn't USAir as well, the equipment wasn't a B737-200 and the stops were not made at Charlotte and Long Island (Islip) MacArthur.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
67. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from Aruba (AUA) to Houston (IAH) at this time with the service being operated three days a week. Identify the this air carrier and the equipment.

Okay, VIASA then operating a... DC-10-30 - but only because I don't know if it still had its A300s at that time...

71. This airline was operating the only direct service from New Orleans (MSY) to Portland, Maine (PWM) at this time with two stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment. First class was available on this flight which was operated with a twin engine jet.

United used to run into Bangor on an odd routing through ALB back in the 80s. Maybe they still did in the 90s. As such, I'll posit United running a 737-300 MSY-ORD-ALB-BGR

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 22, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
71- having determined the equipment was a 733, I believe we have Continental and United as our two candidate airlines ... however ... I don't recall either carrier operating many hub-to-hub flights with a feeder segment on each end

the other issue is that I don't think CO had mainline service into PWM from either CLE or EWR, nor did UA from IAD ... so I'll just spitball this with UA running MSY-Jackson MS (JAN)-ORD-PWM

72- I can count on the fingers of one hand the other airports in New York State that only had four airlines providing jet service: Albany (ALB), Buffalo (BUF), Rochester (ROC), Stewart (SWF), and Syracuse (SYR) ... what I can't envision, though, is service between any of these and BGR (not that ISP was a real strong candidate either) ... Midway v.2, Fokker 100, via Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and SWF
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
67. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from Aruba (AUA) to Houston (IAH) at this time with the service being operated three days a week. Identify the this air carrier and the equipment.

Okay, VIASA then operating a... DC-10-30 - but only because I don't know if it still had its A300s at that time...

71. This airline was operating the only direct service from New Orleans (MSY) to Portland, Maine (PWM) at this time with two stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment. First class was available on this flight which was operated with a twin engine jet.

United used to run into Bangor on an odd routing through ALB back in the 80s. Maybe they still did in the 90s. As such, I'll posit United running a 737-300 MSY-ORD-ALB-BGR
67. Ah, the equipment wasn't a DC-10-30....nor was it an A300 or any other wide body type. And we await the tap in.....

71. United is correct! And the first stop was indeed made at Chicago O'Hare (ORD). However, the second stop was not made at Albany but was made at a city in a nearby state to the east.

Please guess again!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA
The time line for these next two quiz items is the fall of 1993.....

56. Only one air carrier was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Frankfurt (FRA) to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time. The flight was operated once a week. Identify this airline. This flight continued on from LGW west across the Atlantic.
I'll guess this was Air New Zealand, who were still stuck at Gatwick at the time, operating FRA-LGW-LAX-AKL.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
71- Having determined the equipment was a 733, I believe we have Continental and United as our two candidate airlines ... however ... I don't recall either carrier operating many hub-to-hub flights with a feeder segment on each end. The other issue is that I don't think CO had mainline service into PWM from either CLE or EWR, nor did UA from IAD ... so I'll just spitball this with UA running MSY-Jackson MS (JAN)-ORD-PWM

72- I can count on the fingers of one hand the other airports in New York State that only had four airlines providing jet service: Albany (ALB), Buffalo (BUF), Rochester (ROC), Stewart (SWF), and Syracuse (SYR) ... what I can't envision, though, is service between any of these and BGR (not that ISP was a real strong candidate either) ... Midway v.2, Fokker 100, via Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and SWF
71. It was indeed United; however, Chicago O'Hare (ORD) was actually the first stop. So we are still looking for the second stop made by this B737-300 service.

72. It wasn't Midway, the equipment wasn't a Fokker 100 and the first stop wasn't made at Raleigh/Durham. However, the second stop was indeed made at Newburgh, NY (SWF - Stewart).
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'll guess this was Air New Zealand, who were still stuck at Gatwick at the time, operating FRA-LGW-LAX-AKL.
56. Air New Zealand is correct! Here's the complete sched....

NZ 3: Frankfurt (FRA) 12:40 - 13:25 London Gatwick (LGW) 15:15 - 18:30 Los Angeles (LAX) 20:15 - 06:00 Auckland (AKL)
Freq: Fridays only
Equip: B747-400
Service classes: P/J/Y

BTW, Air New Zealand was the only airline operating nonstop B747-400 service between LGW and LAX at this time.

Bonus quiz item.....

Only one airline was operating B747-400 service nonstop from Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) to London Gatwick (LGW) in the fall of 1993. This flight was operated three days a week. However, on November 1 of that year, this airline began serving London Heathrow (LHR) instead of LGW from CDG with a B747-400 and dropped the frequency to just one nonstop flight a week. Both of these flights originated in Asia. Name this air carrier.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 24, 2019 at 9:27 am Reason: added hint & modified bonus quiz item
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

And how about a BONUS quiz item....

What year did Horizon Air enter into its initial code sharing agreement and what airline was QX code sharing with at that time?
Last call for this bonus quiz item as it has been out there for awhile. Should there be no takers, I'll provide the answer tomorrow and include a hopefully interesting little story concerning Milt Kuolt, the founder and first CEO of Horizon Air....and now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 24, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
Last call for this bonus quiz item as it has been out there for awhile. Should there be no takers, I'll provide the answer tomorrow and include a hopefully interesting little story concerning Milt Kuolt, the founder and first CEO of Horizon Air.
I seem to recall that United was running a substantial hub operation at Seattle, so I'll guess this was with them. Somehow they later retreated from this.If it was the 1980s I remember going through Sea-Tac, and the two major carriers there were United and Northwest, but I recall United were the dominant local service brand, on routes once the province of Hughes.

Did United and Northwest each have one of the Sea-Tac remote concourses, and other carriers were in the central one ?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Did United and Northwest each have one of the Sea-Tac remote concourses, and other carriers were in the central one ?
A spot-on observation. At that time (and even more recently) NW used the South satellite (though international carriers used and still gates there too) while UA was in North satellite. Others that I remember, dispersed around, was USAir in the old small A, CO in B(?), AA at the end of C, and AS in D with QX in C.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
A spot-on observation. At that time (and even more recently) NW used the South satellite (though international carriers used and still gates there too) while UA was in North satellite. Others that I remember, dispersed around, was USAir in the old small A, CO in B(?), AA at the end of C, and AS in D with QX in C.
Yep, that's my recollection as well concerning airlines, satellites and gates at Seattle at that time.....and perhaps Seat 2A can also add some comments.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:09 pm

I'll have another recollection then, that there was a Thai 747 at one of the satellites, which is possibly where the immigration was. It was boarding a very substantial load. Not long after though Thai gave up Seattle and don't seem to have come back.

And an Air Cal 737 was doing a quick turnround. One of the FAs came to the front right service door with a large bag of ice, presumably loaded somewhere in California and which had now partially melted. Grasped the neck of the bag, drained off all the water (and a few cubes) down onto the ramp, and quickly went back inside with what remained. I can imagine what a Heathrow terminal manager would say if that were seen over here ...

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 24, 2019 at 5:15 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seem to recall that United was running a substantial hub operation at Seattle, so I'll guess this was with them. Somehow they later retreated from this.If it was the 1980s I remember going through Sea-Tac, and the two major carriers there were United and Northwest, but I recall United were the dominant local service brand, on routes once the province of Hughes.
Indeed, Horizon Air's first code sharing relationship was with United with this agreement becoming effective in the summer of 1985. According to a book entitled "Remember the Magic...The Story of Horizon Air" by author Bill Endicott, it appears from the outset that Horizon Air was not satisfied with the terms of their agreement with United with QX continuing to negotiate with UA for a bigger slice of the revenue pie. However, United was not inclined to increase the amount of revenue being paid to Horizon Air for their code sharing service. And that dissatisfaction at Horizon subsequently helped open the door concerning a dramatic development in the form of interest from another air carrier: Alaska Airlines.

Alaska Airlines was still a very small air carrier at this time. At the end of 1983 just a year and a half before Horizon Air began code sharing with United, the Alaska Airlines fleet numbered only 22 aircraft to include thirteen B727-200s, four B727-100Cs, two B727-100s and three B737-200Cs. And not all of those Boeing aircraft were being operated in scheduled passenger operations as two of the B727-100Cs were being flown via dedicated contract in shuttle operations up to the North Slope for two oil and gas companies, ARCO and SOHIO. The Alaska Airlines annual report at the time also states that four additional B727-200s were available to the air carrier from two other airlines, being American and Continental, for use on interchange routes linking Alaska with destinations in the lower 48 served by AA and CO. Following implementation of the code sharing deal between Horizon Air and United, Bruce Kennedy, the Chairman, President and CEO of Alaska Airlines at the time, kept trying to get the attention of Milt Kuolt, CEO and founder of Horizon Air (who was a gregarious individual to say the least). In fact, at one point Mr. Kuolt told Alaska Airlines to "just forget it." However, the meetings between AS and QX continued with Bruce Kennedy stating, " We felt that Horizon's effort at code sharing with United was a key motivator that led us to discussions." And these discussions ultimately led to Alaska Airline taking the process one step further: an acquisition of Horizon by Alaska which was consummated in 1986. United then had to make other plans with regard to passenger feed provided via a code share partner at SEA.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 24, 2019 at 5:37 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'll have another recollection then, that there was a Thai 747 at one of the satellites, which is possibly where the immigration was. It was boarding a very substantial load. Not long after though Thai gave up Seattle and don't seem to have come back.
INS and customs facilities were and still are in S satellite which is why you'd also see military charter flights there too (as well as BA's triangular routing of LHR-YVR-SEA-LHR or v-v).

Thai had a very interesting operation at SEA in that era, which has probably been covered as a quiz item (and which I certainly have offered up as an (wrong) answer). Into the early 21st century, the legacy of this long-ceased operation was reportedly an excellent and authentic Thai restaurant in Seatac (an actual municipality) or closeby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.