Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
......I can't recall TWA 727s at Heathrow.......
A friend of mine flew Heathrow to Frankfurt by TW 727 in August 1990. Think they were -100s.
Whether they were U.K. or Germany based, I can't confirm.

I wasn't able to join him as I'd taken the much more sensible option of driving to Newcastle (only 650 miles round trip) to fly on the Birmingham European Airways Gulfstream 1 which was flying for British Airways.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I think there'd only be two candidates for this service at the time pre open skies) and the two-stop probably eliminates one. I am going to guess UA flying LGA-IAD-ORD-YVR with a 757-200.
46. Ah, it wasn't United and the equipment wasn't a B757-200 and the airport wasn't LGA. In addition, the stops were not made at Washington Dulles or Chicago O'Hare. And here's a hint: the aircraft type was smaller than a 757. Please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 14, 2019 at 12:49 pm Reason: forgot to respond to the departure airport in the NYC area which wasn't LGA
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
re 42- the code for Harrisburg is actually MDT, referring to the former Olmsted AFB
Checking the top of each column heading in the OAG for Harrisburg, one sees this:

To HARRISBURG, PENNSYLVANIA EDT HAR

However, one sees this in the initial column heading for Harrisburg:

To HARRISBURG, PENNSYLVANIA EDT HAR
H - MDT (HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL)
S - HAR (HARRISBURG SKYPORT)

I neglected to note the "H" for the relevant airport in Harrisburg when noting the AA flight to MSY and instead relied on HAR being listed in bold face type. I've also corrected the above posts from HAR to MDT.....but I wonder why the OAG chose to go with HAR in the column headings in the first place as there is no scheduled airline service listed into Harrisburg Skyport (HAR).

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 14, 2019 at 10:12 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Hmm... alright, wild guess time. On the possibility that this question would involve something out of the ordinary, I recall America West Express operating a Fokker 70 from PHX into DSM back about that time. I don't know about FAT, but let's go with America West Express operating the Fokker 70 via PHX.

By the way. greetings from Needles, California - home to Snoopy's brother Spike.

And hey now - how 'bout them Saints?!! 20-14 Who dat?!
47. Seat 2A, your wildness serves you well....as America West Express operating a Fokker 70 is correct! Here's the sched....

HP* 5404: Fresno (FAT) 7:20a - 8:38a Phoenix (PHX) 9:30a - 2:10p Des Moines (DSM)
Freq: Daily
Equip: F70
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack DSM-PHX

I believe the Fokker 70 service for America West was operated by Desert Sun Airlines, a division of Mesa Air. The aircraft were painted in full America West livery with "America West EXPRESS" titles. I remember seeing one of these America West Express Fokker 70 aircraft in Spokane (GEG) as it was preparing to depart to Phoenix. And as we have discussed before, this F70 operation for HP marked the only the time this aircraft type was operated in scheduled passenger service in the U.S.

Meantime, next up for the Saints....a repeat engagement with the Los Angeles Rams.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40- if memory serves, the only mainline jet service from BFL at this time was provided by American, running MD-80s to their Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) hub ... figuring that AA’s only service to YUL was out of their Chicago O’Hare (ORD) hub, I think we have the answer
40. Well, your answer is partially correct as it was indeed American Airlines and the second stop was made at Chicago O'Hare (ORD).

However, the first stop wasn't Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and the equipment wasn't an MD-80. Please guess again!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
40- ah, then BFL was a tag-on to a longer ORD route ... first guess Santa Barbara (SBA); second guess Ontario (ONT)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As we've had excellent response concerning the above UK-themed quiz items, I have elected to submit additional quiz items concerning London area airports. I have also included the two bonus quiz items previously submitted which have been renumbered.

The time line for all of the following quiz items is the fall of 1993.

51. This airline was operating nonstop jet service twice a day from Belfast International Airport (BFS) to London Luton Airport (LTN) These flights were operated with same aircraft type which featured an all-coach class (Y) seating configuration. Name the air carrier and the equipment.

52. Only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Zurich (ZRH) to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time. The flights were operated twice a week. Identify this air carrier. It wasn't EVA Air or Air China

53. If you wanted to fly from Aden (ADE) to London, there was only one choice with this airline operating one direct flight a week into London Heathrow (LHR) with one stop being made en route. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

54. What airline was operating DHC-8 Dash 8 service from a city in Europe into London City (LCY) at this time? ANSWERED

55. Only one air carrier was operating nonstop Boeing 747-300 service from Copehagen (CPH) into London Heathrow (LHR). The flights were operated twice a week. Identify this airline. ANSWERED

56. Only one air carrier was operating nonstop Boeing 747-400 service from Frankfurt (FRA) into London Gatwick (LGW). The flight operated once a week. Identify this airline.

57. This airline was operating daily nonstop service from Florence (FLR) to London Gatwick (LGW). Name the air carrier and the equipment.

58. This airline was operating daily nonstop service from Florence (FLR) to London Stansted (STN). Name the air carrier and the equipment.

59. If you wanted to depart from London Heathrow (LHR) on board a DHC-7 Dash 7 at this time, what airline would you call?

60. Two airlines were operating nonstop service from Riga (RIX) in Latvia to London at this time. Both services were operated into London Gatwick (LGW). One of the air carriers operated flights on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays and the other air carrier operated flights on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for a total of six flights a week from RIX to LGW. Different aircraft types were operated by each airline, one of which used a two letter air carrier code which had been previously used by a U.S. based airline which in turn also operated the same type of equipment as one of the air carriers in question. Identify both air carriers and their respective aircraft types.
ANSWERED

61. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from Tashkent (TAS) in Uzbekistan to London. The flights were operated three days a week into London Heathrow (LHR) with an aircraft type that was configured with an all-coach (Y) cabin. Name the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

62. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Windhoek (WDH) in Namibia to London, there was only one choice. The service was operated once a week to London Heathrow (LHR). Identify the airline and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

BONUS quiz item.....

The Royal Air Force - 38 Transport Group in the UK had its own two letter airline code listed in the OAG. What was it and why did they have it?

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 15, 2019 at 12:01 pm Reason: punctuation & answer updates
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40- ah, then BFL was a tag-on to a longer ORD route ... first guess Santa Barbara (SBA); second guess Ontario (ONT)
40. Nope, it wasn't SBA or ONT. And please submit your guess concerning the aircraft type as well.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
40- sorry, didn’t guess another jet type as I had misread the earlier response as “was” an MD80 :/

Palm Springs (PSP), 757
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
54. What airline was operating DHC-8 Dash 8 service from a city in Europe into London City (LCY) at this time?
Sabena from Brussels using a DHC-8-300 operated by Schreiner Airways of the Netherlands.
They were painted in full Sabena colours.
Photo here:
https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...c-8-311-dash-8
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:46 pm

61. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from Tashkent (TAS) in Uzbekistan to London. The flights were operated three days a week into London Heathrow (LHR) with an aircraft type that was configured with an all-coach (Y) cabin. Name the air carrier and the equipment.
Uzbekistan Airways with the Ilyushin 62M
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40- sorry, didn’t guess another jet type as I had misread the earlier response as “was” an MD80 :/

Palm Springs (PSP), 757
40. Nope, it wasn't PSP....but the aircraft type was a B757-200.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
Sabena from Brussels using a DHC-8-300 operated by Schreiner Airways of the Netherlands.
They were painted in full Sabena colours.
Photo here:
https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...c-8-311-dash-8
54. Correct! Four Dash 8 flights using the SN code were being operated every weekday from Brussels to London City at this time.

And BTW, I wish I would have had the chance to fly on board a Gulfstream I turboprop as you did. Those big oval windows must have been nice to look out of. Royale Airlines served LFT back in the day with the Gulfstream I but I was living in California at that time and never got to fly on one.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 15, 2019 at 10:15 am Reason: Gulfstream I
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
Uzbekistan Airways with the Ilyushin 62M
61. Correct! Here's the sched....

HY 235: Tashkent (TAS) 16:00 - 20:00 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays
Equip: IL6
Service class: Y
Distance per the OAG: 3,268 miles

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 14, 2019 at 1:13 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:46 am

60. Two airlines were operating nonstop service from Riga (RIX) in Latvia to London at this time. Both services were operated into London Gatwick (LGW). One of the air carriers operated flights on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays and the other air carrier operated flights on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for a total of six flights a week from RIX to LGW. Different aircraft types were operated by each airline, one of which used a two letter air carrier code which had been previously used by a U.S. based airline which in turn also operated the same type of equipment as one of the air carriers in question. Identify both air carriers and their respective aircraft types.
Baltic International using a DC-9-15
and
Latavio (Latvian Airlines) with a Tupolev 134B

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.