Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
21. Yet another great guess....but it wasn't Republic. Plus we have already established that the aircraft was an MD-80 and thus not a DC-9-30. And there's more good news as you have correctly guessed the stop: Las Vegas (LAS).
Though I think it never flew out as far as MKE, let's throw in Air Cal. Other guess was acquired by an airline that was in itself "acquired".(2x) and the original acquirer doesn't fly under that name anymore.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'm leaning with jrl767 insofar as the airline beginning with "Mid", but I'm thinking it was Midwest Express, not Midway
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Though I think it never flew out as far as MKE, let's throw in Air Cal. Other guess was acquired by an airline that was in itself "acquired".(2x) and the original acquirer doesn't fly under that name anymore.
21. Nope, it wasn't good old Air Cal (although they did fly Orange County (SNA) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD) nonstop at one point but I believe they operated the B737-300 on this route). I also do not recall Air Cal offering a first class cabin.

BTW, my first ever flight on board an MD-80 was with Air Cal departing from Burbank up to San Jose in the Bay Area. I remember thinking how relatively quiet it was on take off as I was seated near the front of the all-coach cabin.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm leaning with jrl767 insofar as the airline beginning with "Mid", but I'm thinking it was Midwest Express, not Midway
21. Ah, it wasn't Midwest Express (which I believe only served LAX, SAN and SFO in California).

BTW, when I flew Midwest Express SFO-MKE and LAX-MKE, their MD-80 aircraft were configured with an all 2-2 seating configuration which was more like business class than coach. A very nice airline!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

21- ah, but at the time I submitted that guess we had not done so ... as far as a MadDog operator BUR-LAS-MKE, was this perhaps an oddball Midway Airlines flight that continued MKE-MDW?

EDIT: never mind, ML disappeared in bankruptcy, not by merger ... I don’t remember them in BUR, but if the trip had started in Long Beach I’d have proposed Jet America right away; they were absorbed into Alaska, which is definitely still in business ...
21. Well then.....are you proposing Jet America here or just making an observation?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
21. Well then.....are you proposing Jet America here or just making an observation?
jrl767 would appear to be indisposed at the moment, so by proxy I will speak for him. Per his lingo, I'm confident he would "posit" that it was indeed Jet America operating an MD80 via LAS. Besides, we're running out of possible MD80 operators that might also fly LAS-MKE.

And now, the envelope, please
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
jrl767 would appear to be indisposed at the moment, so by proxy I will speak for him. Per his lingo, I'm confident he would "posit" that it was indeed Jet America operating an MD80 via LAS. Besides, we're running out of possible MD80 operators that might also fly LAS-MKE.

And now, the envelope, please
21. And the Great Karnak says.....yep, it was Jet America. Here's the sched....

SI 406: Burbank (BUR) 10:40a - 11:35a Las Vegas (LAS) 12:05p - 5:15p Milwaukee (MKE)
Freq: Daily
Equip: MD-80
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch LAS-MKE

Jet America was operating a small hub at Las Vegas in the summer of 1986. Besides LAS-BUR and LAS-MKE, the airline was also operating LAS-ORD, LAS-DFW, LAS-LGB, LAS-ONT, LAS-SNA and LAS-STL nonstops as well as flying one stop service between Las Vegas and Detroit and Washington National. Jet America was merged into Alaska Airlines in the fall of 1987.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. If you wanted to fly out of Fort Nelson, B.C. on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra in 1973 what air carrier would you call? The Canadian-based air carrier in question wasn't Pacific Western or Northwest Territorial (NWT Air) and was only serving two other destinations in Canada at this time, neither of which was a major city

13. It's 1985. Your presentation in Omaha concerning a major potential contract could not have been more well received. And then you hear the following statement while you are having lunch with your new prospective client: "There's just one more thing you have to do to seal the deal. Our CEO who is also the owner of the company will be in Spokane tomorrow morning and would like to meet with you. Think you can arrange to get up there this evening?" Well, where there is a will, there is certainly a way! You quickly ascertain there is a direct two stop flight departing OMA at 5:25 pm which will get you into GEG at 10:00 pm. Name the airline you'll be flying on, the two stops and the equipment. The aircraft was a twin engine jet configured with an all-coach cabin and the air carrier in question is no longer in existence

BONUS: What year did Horizon Air enter into it's initial code sharing agreement and what airline was QX code sharing with at that time?:
Time to wrap up a couple of the above.....

6. The airline was Jet Air (which also went by the name of International Jet Air). On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, Jet Air 55 operated with a Lockheed L-188 Electra would depart Fort Nelson (YYE) at 3:45 pm and fly nonstop to Inuvik (YEV) arriving at 7:00 pm. The service would then change flight numbers with Jet Air 56 departing YEV at 8:00 pm and arriving into Whitehorse (YXY) 8:40 pm. Jet Air was apparently attempting to provide connecting service at Fort Nelson from and to CP Air Boeing 737-200 flights at YYE that served Vancouver, Edmonton and Prince George with these CP connecting flights being listed in the Jet Air timetable.

13. The airline was Sunworld International Airways. Here's the sched....

JK 683: Omaha (OMA) 5:25p - 6:20p Las Vegas (LAS) 6:45p - 8:40p Portland (PDX) 9:00p - 10:00p Spokane (GEG)
Freq: OMA-LAS daily, LAS-GEG except Saturdays
Equip: DC9-10
Meal service: Snack OMA-LAS

And I will let the BONUS quiz item concerning Horizon Air sit out there a bit longer.....

Coming up later today - Additional new quiz items from the 1990's and early 2000's. Please say tuned!
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 13, 2019 at 1:35 pm Reason: airport code correction
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your responses to two per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

The following quiz items both have a time line of the fall of 1993.....

36. There was only one airline operating Boeing 747-400 service nonstop from Brussels (BRU) to London Heathrow (LHR) at this time. The flight only operated once a week. Name the airline that operated this service.

39. You are in Caracas and need to travel to Seattle. Ah, what's this? A direct one stop flight and first class is available! You will depart CCS at 10:00 am and arrive into SEA at 7:01 pm. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

The next four quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1994.....

41. You are in San Francisco and need to travel to Port of Spain on business. To your great surprise, you find there is a direct flight from SFO to POS that operates daily. Four stops are made en route by this service which departs San Francisco at 6:10 am and arrives into Port of Spain at 11:57 pm. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served on this flight. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft.

43. Now you need to travel from New Orleans to Aguadilla (BQN) in Puerto Rico in order to inspect a sailboat that's for sale. Ah, here's a direct one stop flight! What airline will you be flying on, where will you stop and what is the equipment?

44. This airline was operating direct one stop service from San Juan (SJU) to Guatemala City (GUA) at this time. First class and coach were offered on this daily flight. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

45. If you wanted to fly out of Fort Nelson, B.C. (YYE) on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on?

48. It's the summer of 1996 and you are in Victoria, B.C. You've been planning to join friends who are currently driving from Austin, Texas to Fairbanks, Alaska and have been informed they will arrive in Edmonton in the afternoon and then spend the night. So that's where you are headed. You'll depart YYJ at 10:15 am and arrive into YEG at 2:30 pm with two stops being made en route. Name the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type.

49. You are back in New York City in early 2000 and are working out of an office located not too far from La Guardia Airport. You been asked to attend a meeting in Seattle and have found a convenient direct flight departing LGA in the afternoon that will arrive into SEA that night. Two stops will be made en route. Now you are not familiar with the airline that operates this service but you have managed to book a seat in first class. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment. It wasn't America West, the stops were not made at CMH and PHX and the equipment wasn't an A320. Hint: this flight was operated by a new start up airline that was only in business for several years.

50. It's now late spring in 2001 and your long term project work from the office near La Guardia Airport in New York City has almost concluded. There's just one more meeting to attend and it will involve lunch at a location near San Francisco International Airport. You've grown accustomed to flying out of La Guardia during this work assignment as the airfield is very conveniently located to the office and your apartment. So you find a direct flight departing LGA at 6:50 am that will get you into SFO at 11:30 am with one stop being made en route. Once again you're not familiar with the airline operating this flight but you've been informed you will flying on board an aircraft type which the air carrier has recently introduced into their fleet. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 18, 2019 at 12:42 pm Reason: tuned it up after our cat walked across my keyboard.....and answer updates
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
37. What was the largest aircraft type being operated nonstop from Calgary (YYC) to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time and what air carrier operated this flight?

38. One airline was operating one stop service from Honolulu (HNL) to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time with the flight operating three days a week. This was the only direct service from Honolulu to London at the time. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.
37. Wouldn't have been BA or AC (LHR) so I'd say this was before Canadian got LHR rights/slots so let's go with Canadian using a 767-300

38. I seem to remember it was CO running this route. Probably a DC-10-30. I want to say the stop was in ANC but DEN (Stapleton) makes more sense so HNL-DEN-LGW.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
37. Wouldn't have been BA or AC (LHR) so I'd say this was before Canadian got LHR rights/slots so let's go with Canadian using a 767-300

38. I seem to remember it was CO running this route. Probably a DC-10-30. I want to say the stop was in ANC but DEN (Stapleton) makes more sense so HNL-DEN-LGW.
You are off and running to an excellent start, sir!

37. Canadian is correct! Here's the sched.....

CP 96: Calgary (YYC) 8:05p - 11:45a London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only
Equip: B767-300ER

38. Continental is correct! Here's the sched....

CO 34: Honolulu (HNL) 8:00a - 5:30p Denver (DEN) 7:00p - 11:00a London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: HNL-DEN Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays only, DEN-LGW daily except Thursdays and Sundays
Equip: DC-10-30
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:58 pm

31. If you wanted to fly nonstop on a jet from Belfast City Airport (BHD) to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?

32. If you wanted to fly nonstop on a jet from Berlin Tempelhof Airport (THF) to London City Airport (LCY) at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?
31. Jersey European with a BAe 146

32. Conti-Flug with a BAe 146-200. This may (or may not) have operated on behalf of Lufthansa.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
31. Jersey European with a BAe 146

32. Conti-Flug with a BAe 146-200. This may (or may not) have operated on behalf of Lufthansa.
31. Jersey European Airways (JY) is correct! The airline was operating five nonstop flights a day on weekdays from Belfast City (BHD) to London Gatwick (LGW) with the BAe 146 at this time.

Correct again! The OAG lists ten flights a week from Berlin Tempelhof (THF) to London City (LCY) operated independently by Conti-Flug (DD) with the BAe 146 at this time with direct one stop service to LCY being operated three days a week from Venice (VCE) via THF.

BONUS quiz item.....

51. At this same time in 1993, this airline was operating nonstop jet service twice a day from Belfast International Airport (BFS) to London Luton Airport (LTN). These flights were operated with the same aircraft type which had an all-coach class (Y) configuration. Name the air carrier and the equipment.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:10 am Reason: bonus quiz item
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:34 am

33. If you wanted to fly nonstop on a jet from Cork (ORK) to London Stansted Airport (STN) at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?

34. If you wanted to fly on a jet from Zurich (ZRH) to London City Airport (LCY) at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?
33. Ryanair with a BAC One-Eleven

34. Crossair with a BAe 146-200
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
33. Ryanair with a BAC One-Eleven

34. Crossair with a BAe 146-200
Correct on both!

33. Ryanair (FR) was operating a daily flight plus a Friday and Sunday only service both with BAC One-Eleven aircraft from Cork in Ireland to London Stansted at this time,

34. Crossair (LX) was operating two flights every weekday from Zurich to London City with the BAe 146 at this time. One of these flights originated at Lugano (LUG).

BONUS quiz item .....

52. At this same time in 1993, only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Zurich (ZRH) to London Gatwick (LGW). The flights were operated twice a week. Name this air carrier. It wasn't EVA Air (BR) or Air China (CA)

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:11 am Reason: answer update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.