Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
3. In early 1965, what was the longest scheduled piston engine powered aircraft flight in North America?

Wild guess time: Nordair operating a Lockheed L-1049H Constellation nonstop from Montreal Dorval (YUL) to Resolute Bay (YRB). I believe the distance from YUL to YRB is 2,123 miles.

Per the 1965 schedule I reference, Nordair was making two enroute stops on its DC-4 flights between Montreal and Resolute. Great Circle Mapper shows the nonstop distance between these two airports to be 1846 miles. That said, we're looking for a different route, but one that was indeed operated with a variant of Lockheed's Constellation. Please, guess again!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
. If I'd been like a lot of young American kids back in the seventies who loaded up their backpacks and headed off to Europe with a Eurail pass, I might've had a better chance to log a flight or two aboard another Caravelle, a Dassault Mercure, perhaps even a VFW-Fokker 614. Then again, I understand inter-city airfares were exorbitantly high back then, so maybe not..
Aha ! But what did we have istead ? We had STUDENT FLIGHTS. These were officially charters, but your ID was only checked on buying the tickets to see if they could sell you an annual student ID card as well. Agencies were in universities etc, and by the early 1970s they poroduced a little Europe-wide listing book of all the flights, like a sort of alternative OAG (a lot thinner). If only I'd got my hands on one. They typically used the holiday flight airlines in midweek when demand was down, and led to all sorts of interesting stuff turning up in unexpected places. Among others I took a Dan-Air One-Eleven from Gatwick (normal for them) to Frankfurt (not normal), and an Austrian DC9-30 from Gatwick (definitely unusual for Austrian) to Vienna. The fares were notably cheap. BEA Airtours even did multi-leg flights from Gatwick through Rome and Athens to Tel Aviv, initially with Comets after they had gone from scheduled service, and then 707s, where the student travel counters in each place could sell the individual legs Flights from the Netherlands to Britain became sometimes more than daily in high summer, with exotica like the Martinair Convair 640, running not into Gatwick but to Southend. Braathens were still using DC-6Bs from Oslo to Edinburgh into the 1970s I recall. There were even transatlantic affinity group charters.

You'd have loved it all !
Seat 2A, jlemon and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

3. In early 1965, what was the longest scheduled piston engine powered aircraft flight in North America?
3. Ah, the aircraft was a Constellation, you say.

Well, then.....let's try Pacific Northern operating nonstop between Kodiak (ADQ) and Seattle (SEA).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Ah, the aircraft was a Constellation, you say. Well, then.....let's try Pacific Northern operating nonstop between Kodiak (ADQ) and Seattle (SEA).

There you go. ^ I've long been aware of those longer Canadian sectors but couldn't find anything significant in my OAG. Here's the schedule for the 1251 mile PN flight:

Pacific Northern PN 8 Kodiak (NHB) 1245p-810p Seattle (SEA) Lockheed L-749A Constellation Operates Tue Fri
I might add that if any of you can think of any flights that fit the above description that I might have missed, please query me. It's no problem to check them out.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 10, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
did Nordair operate their Connies between YUL and Frobisher Bay (YFB)? or was that one of the DC-4 stops? gcmap.com shows it as 1281 miles
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Did Nordair operate their Connies between YUL and Frobisher Bay (YFB)? Or was that one of the DC-4 stops? gcmap.com shows it as 1281 miles.
Per the 1965 schedule I referenced for this current iteration of the "quiz", Nordair was flying only DC-4s up north. Pacific Western also shows DC-4 flights into YRB.

So I checked the 1968 schedule I have...

Voila! Nordair was indeed operating a Super Constellation (SU) from Montreal nonstop up to both Frobisher Bay AND (jlemon will be happy to know) Resolute Bay.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I coaxed my dad into a plane-watching stop at YUL during our visit to Expo ‘67; I took a photo of a Nordair Super Connie (wasn’t the OAG code “SC”?) in front of the hangar (which was far across the runways, so the image didn’t turn out very well) ... that was also the only time I ever saw Vanguards
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
Aha ! But what did we have instead ? We had STUDENT FLIGHTS.
The BOAC operated Student Flight I took in 1963 from London to New York was indeed a good buy at GBP70 round trip and as cheap as Icelandic from Luxembourg. But that would be about USD1,600 now, though coach was a bit nicer then.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The BOAC operated Student Flight I took in 1963 from London to New York was indeed a good buy at GBP70 round trip and as cheap as Icelandic from Luxembourg. But that would be about USD1,600 now, though coach was a bit nicer then.
Ł70 in 1963 would be $1600 now? Good Lord! What was the exchange rate relative to U.S. dollars back then?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Ł70 in 1963 would be $1600 now? Good Lord! What was the exchange rate relative to U.S. dollars back then?
Sterling has crashed a lot since WWII. In the next few months, it will either recovery a moderate amount or possibly crash below parity with the USD (or at least to/near the low of USD 1.05) in the '80s.

Graph of Ł/$ exchange rate (1940 - today)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:39 am

USD 2.80 = GBP 1 then. In 1938 It had been USD 4.04.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
USD 2.80 = GBP 1 then. In 1938 It had been USD 4.04.
And with $1 then inflated to $8.24 now you end up with about $1,600. Given the fares from this side of the pond I think BA have never updated the exchange rate!

ETA: the old five shilling piece or crown was called a dollar for the old exchange rate.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
did Nordair operate their Connies between YUL and Frobisher Bay (YFB)? or was that one of the DC-4 stops? gcmap.com shows it as 1281 miles
They did....but not in 1965, I don't think.

By 1968, Nordair was operating L--1049H Constellation service once a week on a Montreal Dorval - Resolute - Frobisher Bay - Montreal Dorval routing as well as round trip Montreal Dorval - Frobisher Bay twice a week.

And then along came the Boeing 737-200 and the days of scheduled Constellation service operated by Nordair were pretty much over.

Plus, not a quiz item (as I do not know the answer) but a rather interesting question nonetheless:

What airline was the first to operate scheduled jet service into Resolute (YRB)? Was it Nordair or Pacific Western?

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 11, 2018 at 12:49 pm Reason: a non-quiz question
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

By 1968, Nordair was operating L--1049H Constellation service once a week on a Montreal Dorval - Resolute - Frobisher Bay - Montreal Dorval routing as well as round trip Montreal Dorval - Frobisher Bay twice a week. And then along came the Boeing 737-200 and the days of scheduled Constellation service operated by Nordair were pretty much over.

Don't forget the Electra... I have schedules from the early 1970s showing Nordair flights routing via Fort Chimo and Halls Beach on their way up north to Resolute.

In the meantime, here are the Connie schedules from my 1968 schedule:

Northbound: ND 43 Montreal (YUL) 1159p - 515a Frobisher Bay (YFB) 645a - 945a Resolute Bay (YRB) Equipment: SU Departs YUL on Tuesday evening, arriving YRB Wednesday morning

Southbound: ND 44 Resolute Bay (YRB) 1130a - 430p Frobisher Bay (YFB) 530p - 1030p Montreal (YUL) Equipment: SU Operates Wednesday only

Effective June 3rd, 1968 ND 43 operated nonstop YUL-YRB, making a stop at YFB on the return

Northbound: ND 43 Montreal (YUL) 1159p - 715a Resolute Bay (YRB) Equipment: SU Departs YUL on Tuesday evening, arriving YRB Wednesday morning

Southbound: ND 44 Resolute Bay (YRB) 915a - 215p Frobisher Bay (YFB) 315p - 815p Montreal (YUL) Equipment: SU Operates Wednesday only

There was also a once weekly DC-4 flight operating via Frobisher Bay and Hall Beach each way

Plus, not a quiz item (as I do not know the answer) but a rather interesting question nonetheless: What airline was the first to operate scheduled jet service into Resolute (YRB)? Was it Nordair or Pacific Western?

Pacific Western was the first Canadian airline to take delivery of the 737. Still, Nordair wasn't far behind and I think had been serving YRB longer.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 11, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:37 pm

I think Nordair was there first with jets, but not by much. Both were serving there by 1971, when both only had a small handful of the 737 each. Boeing developed a special gravel runway kit for the 737 for these northern operations, which deflected stones thrown up by the nosewheel from chancing to go into the engines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.